What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The US Renewable Energy Thread - All Renewable, All the Time! (1 Viewer)

msommer

Footballguy
US renewable energy production now higher than nuclear and above 20% of total

Of that, half is solar and wind (2% and 8% respectively of total production) and particularly solar is growing rapidly

Peaks and valleys, obviously but the trendline the past ten years is pretty solid

Ignore the first paragraph in Danish

I'm sure the IEA also has similar stats but I ran into this one.

How quickly can we expect to see the numbers rise? 

US Renewable Energy Investments to ignore Trump's Pullout of Paris

Among those who paid the news less attention, however, were clean-energy investors. Indeed, leading global investment indexes for wind, solar and other renewables actually rose by modest amounts. "The muted response," Bloomberg reported, "is a sign that investors expect demand for clean energy will continue go grow, in the U.S and around the world."

That's because the main drivers of America's clean-energy transformation are the states and markets — and neither show any sign of changing course. For more than a decade, states and energy markets have led the clean-technology revolution that's transforming how Americans get power — for the better.

Today, the top three new U.S. power sources — wind, natural gas and solar — make up 90 percent of new generating capacity, and are delivering cleaner and cheaper power to consumers. As homegrown resources, they're improving energy security, diversifying our all-of-the-above energy mix and strengthening reliability of the power grid. They've also spurred a booming workforce of more than half a million U.S. jobs that's growing nine times faster than the U.S. average.

Has anybody tried to get a roofing quote from Tesla?  I am not quite ready, probably next year. 

So many countries have a mandate to end fossil fuels or coal in particular by 2050 - the useful life of a mine is somewhere between 10-30 years depending, and it takes a couple years to develop before that. Meaning as of right now, any new mines we start working toward will be virtually worthless by the end of their lives if they're great, long-term mines.  

Just doesn't make sense to replace closing mines anymore. 

Just started researching the batteries. We're a few years away from building the cabin but very heavily leaning towards being off the grid if possible. So batteries will be key.  https://www.energysage.com/solar/solar-energy-storage/what-are-the-best-batteries-for-solar-panels/

Has anyone actually gone totally off the grid?  Mostly?  I'd just be worried that if we had a lot of people over and it was cloudy for a while,  say Christmas time, we'd run out of power. At the same time you don't really want to overdo it with panels and batteries as they're not cheap.  

Just started researching the batteries. We're a few years away from building the cabin but very heavily leaning towards being off the grid if possible. So batteries will be key.  https://www.energysage.com/solar/solar-energy-storage/what-are-the-best-batteries-for-solar-panels/

Has anyone actually gone totally off the grid?  Mostly?  I'd just be worried that if we had a lot of people over and it was cloudy for a while,  say Christmas time, we'd run out of power. At the same time you don't really want to overdo it with panels and batteries as they're not cheap.  
I think there was some discussion of that in the "The Price of Solar has Dropped 50%" thread IIRC

But clearly the key things to consider are battery capacity and energy efficient use (white goods and what not, LED light bulbs etc)

Dead heat between renewables and nuclear power

During the six-month period (January-June), renewables surpassed nuclear power in three of those months (March, April, and May) while nuclear power took the lead in the other three. In total, according to EIA's data, utility-scale renewables plus small-scale solar PV provided 20.05 percent of U.S. net electrical generation compared to 20.07 percent for nuclear power. However, renewables may actually hold a small lead because while EIA estimates the contribution from distributed PV, it does not include electrical generation by distributed wind, micro-hydro, or small-scale biomass.

EIA has acknowledged the neck-in-neck status of nuclear power and renewables and stated as much in a news release it issued in early summer. However, the agency simultaneously stressed its view that "nuclear will generate more electricity than renewables for all of 2017."
Well, maybe...maybe not.

In fact, almost all renewable energy sources are experiencing strong growth rates. Comparing the first six months of 2017 to the same period in 2016, utility-scale and small-scale solar has grown by 45.1 percent, hydropower by 16.1 percent, wind by 15.6 percent, and geothermal by 3.2 percent. Biomass — including wood and wood-derived fuels — has remained essentially unchanged, slipping by 0.8 percent. Electrical generation by solar alone is now greater than that provided individually by biomass, geothermal, and oil (i.e., petroleum liquids + petroleum coke).

https://qz.com/1054992/renewable-subsidies-are-already-paying-for-themselves/

The researchers found that the US saved between $35 billion and $220 billion in that period because of avoided deaths, fewer sick days, and climate-change mitigation.

How do these benefits compare to the US government’s outlays? “The monetary value of air quality and climate benefits are about equal or more than state and federal financial support to wind and solar industries,” says Millstein.
What’s more, those benefits do not account for everything. Creation of a new industry spurs economic growth, creates new jobs, and leads to technology development. There isn’t yet an estimation of what sort of money that brings in, but it’s likely to be a tidy sum.

To be sure, the marginal benefits of additional renewable energy production will start to fall in the future. That is, for every new megawatt of renewable energy produced, an equal amount of pollution won’t be avoided, which means the number of lives saved, and monetary benefits generated, will fall. But Millstein thinks that we won’t reach that point for some time—at least in the US.

https://qz.com/990192/a-chinese-company-wants-to-retrain-wyoming-coal-miners-to-become-wind-farmers/

If you want to truly understand what’s happening in the energy industry, the best thing to do is to travel deep into the heart of American coal country, to Carbon County, Wyoming (yes, that’s a real place).

The state produces most coal in the US, and Carbon County has long been known (and was named) for its extensive coal deposits. But the state’s mines have been shuttering over the past few years, causing hundreds of people to lose their jobs in 2016 alone. Now, these coal miners are finding hope, offered from an unlikely place: a Chinese wind-turbine maker wants to retrain these American workers to become wind-farm technicians. It’s the perfect metaphor for the massive shift happening in the global energy markets.
Pity GE (and others) are not thinking along these lines...

US Denmark off shore wind cooperation

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - The United States signed a deal with Denmark on Thursday to expand cooperation on offshore wind power, giving a boost Europe’s biggest green energy players.

Danish companies DONG Energy and Vestas had feared the nascent U.S. offshore wind sector would be stymied after President Trump vowed to revive the coal industry, challenged climate-change science and blasted renewable energy as expensive and dependent on government subsidies.

But both companies now say the Trump administration is increasingly looking at Europe’s experience as it seeks to kick-start the sector.
ETA: DONG Energy is actually the old brand name, which has just changed to Ørsted, after H. C. Ørsted, a Danish scientist who in 1820 discovered electromagnetism, the effect that modern wind turbines use to produce electricity (technically it's induction, which Faraday discovered 11 years later, but on the basis of Ørsted's work so I'll let it stand)

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the eighth most coastline in the world.  We need to be working toward some wave-based power generation. Could be a massive piece of the solution puzzle for us. 

First generator in the US went online late last year. 

https://phys.org/news/2016-09-wave-produced-electricity-online-hawaii.html
We are working on it, GB.  Your pals at Oregon State University got $40MM last year (though I'm wondering if the Orange Droolius has pulled the funding).  

NEWPORT, Ore. – Oregon State University’s Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center today was awarded up to $40 million from the U.S. Department of Energy, to create the world’s premier wave energy test facility in Newport.

The NNMREC facility, known as the Pacific Marine Energy Center South Energy Test Site, or PMEC-SETS, is planned to be operational by 2020. It will be able to test wave energy “converters” that harness the energy of ocean waves and turn it into electricity. Companies around the world are already anticipating construction of the new facility to test and perfect their technologies, OSU officials say.

“We anticipate this will be the world’s most advanced wave energy test facility,” said Belinda Batten, the director of NNMREC and a professor in the OSU College of Engineering.

“This is a tribute to the support we received from the state of Oregon, and the efforts of many other people who have worked for the past four years – in some cases since the mid-2000s – to see this facility become a reality. It will play an integral role in moving forward on the testing and refinement of wave energy technologies.”

Those technologies, Batten said, are complex and expensive.

“These devices have to perform in hostile ocean conditions; stand up to a 100-year storm; be energy efficient, durable, environmentally benign – and perhaps most important, cost-competitive with other energy sources,” Batten said. “This facility will help answer all of those questions, and is literally the last step before commercialization.”

The DOE award is subject to appropriations, federal officials said today, and will be used to design, permit, and construct an open-water, grid-connected national wave energy testing facility. It will include four grid-connected test berths.

“OSU researchers are already international leaders on several new sources of energy that will be dependable, cost-competitive and efficient,” said OSU President Edward J. Ray.

“This is another enormous step for alternative energy, especially for an energy resource that Oregon is so well-suited to pursue. In coming years this new facility, aided by the assistance of OSU experts, will provide great learning opportunities for our students and have repercussions for wave energy development around the world.”

In making the award, the agency noted that more than 50 percent of the U.S. population lives within 50 miles of coastlines, offering America the potential to develop a domestic wave energy industry that could help provide reliable power to coastal regions.

Investments in marine and hydrokinetic energy technology will encourage domestic manufacturing, create jobs, and advance this technology to help achieve the nation’s energy goals, DOE officials said in their announcement of this award. Studies have estimated that even if only a small portion of the energy available from waves is recovered, millions of homes could be powered.

The new facility and award also received support from a range of academic and political leaders:

Oregon U.S. Sen. Ron Wyden: “This is great news for OSU and its partners and will launch a new level of local job creation and clean energy innovation. Oregon will use this opportunity to build on its solid position nationally and internationally as a leader in renewable wave energy."

Oregon U.S. Sen. Jeff Merkley: "This is a huge success story for Oregon State University, and I thank the Department of Energy for helping us harness the enormous potential of wave energy off the Oregon coast. This test facility will make Oregon the leader in bringing wave energy to the United States, which will create good-paying local jobs, and strengthen our coastal economies."

Oregon U.S. Rep. Kurt Schrader: "Being able to tap into our rich marine energy resources will unleash the potential for billions of dollars in investment along our coastlines. The research that will be made possible through this grant is absolutely critical to the full and effective implementation of wave energy converters into the U.S. green energy portfolio. This federal support is terrific news for OSU and the entire local economy as it allows Oregonians to lead the pack here at home on wave energy."

Oregon U.S. Rep. Suzanne Bonamici: "OSU is at the forefront of wave energy research. Wave energy has tremendous potential as a renewable resource to put our country on a path to a clean energy future. This critical federal support will allow the university, researchers, and students to continue to investigate and test the potential of wave energy. With this investment we are one important step closer to harnessing the power of the ocean to meet our nation’s clean energy needs, create good-paying jobs, and spur economic growth in our communities.”

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown: “I commend the talented team of Oregon State University researchers, staff, and students who lead the nation in research and development of wave energy technology. This U.S. Department of Energy grant announcement of up to $40 million leverages years of work and partnership with our state. This innovative work will contribute to Oregon and the nation’s clean energy mix of the future.”

Oregon State Sen. Arnie Roblan: “After the work of the coastal caucus during the 2016 session to secure a state match for this grant, I am pleased by this news. This grant will enable cutting edge research that will bring a variety of individual innovators to the Oregon coast. We are uniquely positioned to help the nation determine the efficacy of their energy devices to Oregon.”

Cynthia Sagers, vice president for research at OSU: “This award is a major win for Dr. Batten and her team.  It comes after years of collaboration among OSU researchers, state and federal agencies, and industry partners. With it, we are one step closer to a clean, affordable and reliable energy future.”

The Pacific Marine Energy Center South Energy Test Site, first announced in December, reached an important pre-construction milestone this week with the success completion of negotiations between Oregon State University and the federal Water Power Technologies Office.
Wave energy test facility reaches pre-construction milestone
The test site, which will be located off the coast of Newport, Oregon, is currently slated to begin operations in the summer of 2020.

The university's Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center is developing the site to provide wave energy converter developers an economical way of doing pre-market testing.

Once operational, the site will accommodate up to 20 wave energy converters in four test berths at one time, while supplying up to 20 MW of electricity to the grid, the university said.
:thumbup:

I know the local fishermen have been against these and have threatened disruption, but I think there's just too much momentum behind this technology now that the fishermen will have to acquiesce.   

I think the future is going to be solar panel shingles and a battery bank for homes, allowing more families to get off the grid.  I believe EVs will outnumber gas guzzling cars by 2030 and I think most of those EVs will be autonomous driving.  

I think the future is going to be solar panel shingles and a battery bank for homes, allowing more families to get off the grid.  I believe EVs will outnumber gas guzzling cars by 2030 and I think most of those EVs will be autonomous driving.  
Welcome to the club, GB. It's nice to have good company!

That being said, I also see a future for fuel cell cars or hydrogen cars. 

There's a lot of talk about storing (excess) energy (from solar, wind farms) by splitting water for when there is no wind or sun. In places with large seasonal differences that would definitely be a better option than batteries

This just came into my inbox from one of our LPs.  For the history buffs, this paragraph is pretty good:

THE BEST BATTERY…FOR NOW
Dr. John Goodenough co-invented the lithium-ion battery. If you have a smartphone that lasts all day on one charge, he’s the man to thank.  When we learned that lithium-ion battery production was set to grow 500% by the end of the decade, we tracked him down.

Dr. Goodenough is 94 years old. He still teaches at the University Of Texas School Of Engineering. He’s living proof that the way to outlive all of your friends is to never stop doing something you love.

When we talked to him, we already knew the basics of lithium-ion batteries. We knew they came in all shapes and sizes, and they packed a huge energy load into a small space.  There is not just one lithium-ion battery. In fact, there’s not even much lithium in lithium-ion batteries, which is confusing given the name.

There’s far more cobalt. Dr. Goodenough says of cobalt, “It’s a magic metal.”

It’s also where we see the biggest investment opportunity in the battery boom that’s only now getting started.  Cobalt is a naturally occurring metal just like lithium, lead, gold, or any other metal. Each metal has unique properties. Cobalt’s happen to be perfect for building and discharging electrons…the key science inside a rechargeable battery.
94 and still teaching.  My goodness!

That being said, I also see a future for fuel cell cars or hydrogen cars. 

There's a lot of talk about storing (excess) energy (from solar, wind farms) by splitting water for when there is no wind or sun. In places with large seasonal differences that would definitely be a better option than batteries
No doubt and I think we're just scratching the surface of what's coming.  Good thread, I look forward to contributing to it.  I'm privy to a lot of good information that isn't widely available to the street, so when I see something that catches my eye, I'll be sure to share it here.  :thumbup:

While not unique to the US I fell over this in my LinkedIn feed. This specific product is claimed to be five times more efficient than similar output photovoltaic installations at a comparable unit cost. I don't know much if anything about this at all but it seems interesting as a separate, complementary, energy stream

The topic is industrial waste (or geothermal) heat recovery electricity generation

Climeon waste heat to electricity - how it works

This seems topical 

America's Pledge on Climate

Across America, states, cities, businesses, universities, and citizens are taking action to fight climate change, grow the economy, and protect public health. America’s Pledge brings together private and public sector leaders to ensure the United States remains a global leader in reducing emissions and delivers the country’s ambitious climate goals of the Paris Agreement.

At the U.S. Climate Action Pavilion at COP23, America’s Pledge co-chairs Michael Bloomberg and California Governor Jerry Brown will release a new report, “America’s Pledge Phase 1: States, Cities, and Businesses in the United States Are Stepping Up on Climate Action,” and present it to UNFCCC Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa.

When: Saturday, November 11, 2017 from 10:30 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Link to the report:

Phase One Report

Excerpt:

1. Despite federal efforts to roll back policies and programs, climate action is robust and accelerating across an increasing swath of America. States, cities, and businesses constituting more than half of the U.S. economy have mobilized behind the U.S. pledge under the Paris Agreement. If these institutions were a separate country, they would make up the third largest economy in the world, larger than Japan or Germany.

2. An even larger subset of American states, cities, and businesses are taking concrete actions that reduce GHG emissions. They are embracing zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs), building efficiency upgrades, renewable energy generation, and a host of other low-carbon technologies. The potential effect of increasing the reach and ambition of these non-federal climate actions has not been adequately analyzed and taken into account in the Paris Agreement framework

3. The low-carbon transition is taking off in several key sectors. Cleaner energy and electric transportation are emerging as not just emissions leaders, but cost leaders, as well. The cost of solar power and vehicle batteries have both dropped by about 80 percent since 2010. In August 2017, the Department of Energy announced that its “SunShot” target—to make solar power cost effective with conventional forms of energy—had been met three years early. Similarly, ZEVs are widely anticipated to be less expensive than conventional vehicles in the coming years.

4. Falling clean technology prices, emerging innovations, and actions by states, cities, and businesses have helped reduce U.S. net greenhouse gas emissions by 11.5 percent between 2005 and 2015, while the economy grew by 15 percent over that period. In the U.S., decarbonization and GDP growth can go hand in hand.

5. Given the stated policies of the present U.S. administration, currently committed non-federal efforts are not sufficient to meet the U.S. commitment under the Paris Agreement to reduce emissions 26- 28 percent below 2005 levels. Over the next year, the America’s Pledge initiative will analyze the potential range of incremental , not yet committed, actions by states, cities, and businesses, and compare that potential against this 26-28 percent short-term goal for 2025. But we cannot underscore strongly enough the critical nature of federal engagement to achieve the deep decarbonization goals the U.S. must undertake after 2025.
Bottom line - Renewable energy is good business, also in the US 

Users who are viewing this thread