What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

8u tournament team for baseball (1 Viewer)

swirvenirvin

Footballguy
Grabbing all the good 7 and 8 yr olds in the league and starting a summer tournament team.

Any tips with this as far as game play or what to expect

mostly 7 yr olds and only 3 8 yr olds but the 7 yr olds crushed it.  I had 5 good on my team we shut most teams out and scored max 5 our of 6 innings most of the time.

Will be playing in 3 tournaments and going vs other house all star teams.  No big expectations, our kids just want some more competetion from what we have seen in the rec league.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my advice fwiw.

Don't teach to the tournament rules but teach the right way and tweak.

For example, we played one team the would roll the ball from first baseman to pitcher so there were no over throws, it was ridiculous.  They taught that because the play was live until the pitcher has it.

Be aggressive on the bases

So my advice fwiw.

Don't teach to the tournament rules but teach the right way and tweak.

For example, we played one team the would roll the ball from first baseman to pitcher so there were no over throws, it was ridiculous.  They taught that because the play was live until the pitcher has it.

Be aggressive on the bases
Yeah not doing that crap.  The rec league played with double only's so it wasn't an issue for us.  Im not throwing to pitcher, Im throwing to make outs and have the kids back each other up.  PItcher could just as well not catch it as the 2nd basemen.

So in your instance you saying that if there was a man on 2nd and the ball is hit to our 2nd baseman.. 2nd baseman throws to first gets and out, how likely is it that the kid from 3rd is going to try to score?

My advice, your summer tournaments will be a lot more enjoyable if you draft players based on the hotness of the moms, and not the skills of the players.  :2cents:

Yeah not doing that crap.  The rec league played with double only's so it wasn't an issue for us.  Im not throwing to pitcher, Im throwing to make outs and have the kids back each other up.  PItcher could just as well not catch it as the 2nd basemen.

So in your instance you saying that if there was a man on 2nd and the ball is hit to our 2nd baseman.. 2nd baseman throws to first gets and out, how likely is it that the kid from 3rd is going to try to score?
For us very likely

Teach the proper things from the get go.  Instill making plays instead of being worried about making errors.  Go ahead and throw behind runners if they get off too far to get them used to doing it.   Don't make a big deal if they don't execute the play (getting an out) and congratulate more about making the right read and attempt.  Too many younger teams prohibit their players from trying to make the right play because they might make an error and then they become scared to do it when they are older.  Teach the proper play.  The skills to execute it will come as they develop.  The knowledge of what to do is much harder to develop the older they get when the bad habits have been drilled in to them.

Teach each player that they must go somewhere every play.  If they end up in the same place they started before the pitch they are in the wrong spot.  Try and get each player to think about where they can go to help with the current or next play.  All OF's back up somewhere on every play based on the situation.  Pitcher never remains on the mound.  The earlier the kids learn there is something for them to do the more fun they will have and the more they will develop instincts for the game. 

Don't be overly aggressive on the bases.  That can develop bad habits that are really difficult to break the older they get.  Just because they can keep running because the other team can't play catch doesn't mean they should be doing that.  Teach aggressiveness but not stupid aggressiveness.  Too many players get terrible habits at this age group and when they get to 11 or 12 year old they get thrown out because now the other teams can play catch.  Bad base running habits are very difficult to break.

Make sure the kids understand that getting out or making an error is part of the game and there is nothing wrong with it.  Physical mistakes happen.  Reward proper decisions and attempting the correct play.  I said this in another thread but it is never too early to start managing the kids expectations  -  Baseball is a game of failure.   It's about failing, learning from it, and moving forward.  You cannot dwell on the failure or you will be miserable playing the game.  If you can do nothing else but teach this age group that little nugget you will have succeeded.

We started our travel team as 9U and never went back to rec ball.  If you have the right group of parents the kids will grow immensely playing travel over rec.  Good Luck! 

This is the game concept that you must start drilling into the kids.  Learning that the play isn't over when you get an out when other people are on base is a huge step at this age group.  I am still trying to get my 11U team over this hump and we are mostly there but it has taken two years (we started our travel team at 9U)  Baseball is very much a thinking game.  Always anticipating the next play is huge.   I like when other teams do that kind of thing.  It gives my ranting a little more leverage because the boys can see that it is a problem.  When other teams don't try the reinforcement isn't there.   

Since still machine pitch I need help for practices.. Having all the kids bat throgh with 3-4 hits each takes about an hour, but takes up my whole infield.  Would like to do different stations but not sure how to do it when the kids needs the pitching machine pratice.

Since still machine pitch I need help for practices.. Having all the kids bat throgh with 3-4 hits each takes about an hour, but takes up my whole infield.  Would like to do different stations but not sure how to do it when the kids needs the pitching machine pratice.
Soft toss stations hitting against the fence and hitting off a tee into the fence. They get a lot of cuts in quickly and you can correct bad habits right there. 

We do this and then they rotate into the live field. 

Soft toss stations hitting against the fence and hitting off a tee into the fence. They get a lot of cuts in quickly and you can correct bad habits right there. 

We do this and then they rotate into the live field. 
that was my plan..... still need to face pitching machine though IMO.  Mainly because we were doing 36 mph and now up to 40 mph

Son has played YMCA leagues past two years, but this summer will be the last.  he is so much better than everyone on his team its not even funny.  He is not great, average I'd say, but they are just that bad.  

Son has played YMCA leagues past two years, but this summer will be the last.  he is so much better than everyone on his team its not even funny.  He is not great, average I'd say, but they are just that bad.  
this is the problem with rec.  My team of 7 yr olds shutout most of the teams and we batted around 5 our of 6 innings.  Are they so much more awesome than anyone else at baseball? I doubt it just that most of the league is not very good.  And they get bored waiting for kids to actually hit the ball

this is the problem with rec.  My team of 7 yr olds shutout most of the teams and we batted around 5 our of 6 innings.  Are they so much more awesome than anyone else at baseball? I doubt it just that most of the league is not very good.  And they get bored waiting for kids to actually hit the ball
I knew it was going to be a long year when we had our first practice and the coach had to show the kids what side of the plate to stand on.

I knew it was going to be a long year when we had our first practice and the coach had to show the kids what side of the plate to stand on.
I can always tells how good the other team is going to be based on what time they show up.  Good teams have their kids at least 15 minutes before.. Crap team and coahces show up 5 minutes before game time

There are no 7-8 year old All Stars. None. And in fact it's this kind of silly crap that leads to player burnout. Tournament play for summer ball for kids this young is ridiculous.

There are no 7-8 year old All Stars. None. And in fact it's this kind of silly crap that leads to player burnout. Tournament play for summer ball for kids this young is ridiculous.
So they should get bored standing in the field for 10 minutes per half inning because half of the kids on the rec team cant hit the ball and strike out.  Got it

Every single parent has told me how excited their kid is that they are able to play longer and glad the season isn't over.

DUMB

So they should get bored standing in the field for 10 minutes per half inning because half of the kids on the rec team cant hit the ball and strike out.  Got it

Every single parent has told me how excited their kid is that they are able to play longer and glad the season isn't over.

DUMB
Yeah, ignore it.

Imo, pitching machines have their place , but live pitching (coaches) is much better. 

Timing/stride needs to be developed with a live arm. Also, deciding whether to take or swing. With machines they're just beating balls over and over that are usually grooved middle of the plate belt high

I've seen a lot of kids over the yrs that dominate in the cage and can't hit live pitching to save their life

Imo, work on fielding the ball cleanly and getting outs at first base. Don't worry about looking runners back, trying to turn two etc. Get outs at first base, come in and score runs.

Outfielders only need to worry about knocking the ball down and getting it in quickly to second base..keep the batter at first

that was my plan..... still need to face pitching machine though IMO.  Mainly because we were doing 36 mph and now up to 40 mph
Right, you're doing all three at the same time.  One kid facing the pitching machine in the field, one kid doing soft toss into the backstop towards one bench, another kid hitting off a t into the backstop towards the other teams bench.  Three kids hitting at once.

Depending on how many coaches you have, you can also take a group of kids into the right field corner and work on a different fundamental there, and another coach into the left field corner working on something else.  Whoever is in line in the outfield corner is watching the hitting in case someone gets a hold of one sending it deep.

There is really no reason at all to have 7, 8 year old kids standing around doing nothing at practice, unless you don't have enough coaches.  Having 9 kids shag balls while one kid hits is one of the worst waste's of time in baseball, right in front of doing infield/outfield at the same time with all nine positions covered.

Yeah, ignore it.

Imo, pitching machines have their place , but live pitching (coaches) is much better. 

Timing/stride needs to be developed with a live arm. Also, deciding whether to take or swing. With machines they're just beating balls over and over that are usually grooved middle of the plate belt high

I've seen a lot of kids over the yrs that dominate in the cage and can't hit live pitching to save their life
It's still a pitching machine league for these kids.  I don't have any 7 yr olds that I'd want to have pitch , and I don't think they need the stress on their arms.   So need to get that  pitching machine timing down for the kids.

Besides that I have a tee and a net set up for side toss.  It just takes an hour to go through 12 kids on the machine and can't really have too man other "stations" when I am doing it.

It's still a pitching machine league for these kids.  I don't have any 7 yr olds that I'd want to have pitch , and I don't think they need the stress on their arms.   So need to get that  pitching machine timing down for the kids.

Besides that I have a tee and a net set up for side toss.  It just takes an hour to go through 12 kids on the machine and can't really have too man other "stations" when I am doing it.
Ah, I missed that it was machine pitch, sorry

It might seem obvious, but when using a machine I think it's important to feed it the same way every time. When we used them we would try to use the same routine every time. Hold the ball up for a second for the batter to get set then feed it. These were the old wheel machines

Right, you're doing all three at the same time.  One kid facing the pitching machine in the field, one kid doing soft toss into the backstop towards one bench, another kid hitting off a t into the backstop towards the other teams bench.  Three kids hitting at once.

Depending on how many coaches you have, you can also take a group of kids into the right field corner and work on a different fundamental there, and another coach into the left field corner working on something else.  Whoever is in line in the outfield corner is watching the hitting in case someone gets a hold of one sending it deep.

There is really no reason at all to have 7, 8 year old kids standing around doing nothing at practice, unless you don't have enough coaches.  Having 9 kids shag balls while one kid hits is one of the worst waste's of time in baseball, right in front of doing infield/outfield at the same time with all nine positions covered.
This is what I am going to do next time.  Problem is I have 3 ast all great guys but not sure how much fundamentals they can help with.  Would have to be pretty basic stuff like throwing them pop-ups..   Maybe have them on a knee and do the one hand wrist follow through drill

"right in front of doing infield/outfield at the same time with all nine positions covered"

I was going to do this once next week to teach the all the kids where to back up depending on where the ball is hit.   We are going from a doubles only league to now a  no limit and aggressive baserunning and have to get the ball in to the pitcher.    Not sure how to emphasize that all kids should be moving somewhere once the ball is hit without having them all out there at least for a bit..

Ah, I missed that it was machine pitch, sorry

It might seem obvious, but when using a machine I think it's important to feed it the same way every time. When we used them we would try to use the same routine every time. Hold the ball up for a second for the batter to get set then feed it. These were the old wheel machines
Oh yeah already on this.. Usually the ast's do this for me though as I was with the batter making sure they lined up good and fixing their stance

Hell yesterday was the first time I even set up the pitching machine.  My ast in rec always got there 45 minutes before set it up.

STOP HITTING INTO FENCE!!!!!

Get nets.   

That's how fences get bent then people complain the bottom is bent

Yes you can do both sides. 7 and 8 are not going to smash but every hit into a fence slowly bends it.

You could also get a few total control/limited flight balls for the tee

Yes you can do both sides. 7 and 8 are not going to smash but every hit into a fence slowly bends it.

You could also get a few total control/limited flight balls for the tee
Net has the catcher thing in the middle so probably wont work from both sides

I was going to do this once next week to teach the all the kids where to back up depending on where the ball is hit.   We are going from a doubles only league to now a  no limit and aggressive baserunning and have to get the ball in to the pitcher.    Not sure how to emphasize that all kids should be moving somewhere once the ball is hit without having them all out there at least for a bit..
This is good to teach kids, every positions has a throw to back up on every play.  Gets kids moving on every pitch, and teaches them they are involved, or at least potentially involved in every play, so they need to pay attention.

Mini rant, I have picked my youngest up from practice a few times this season, and I always go early to see what they are doing.  The last time I went, they were doing infield; two kids at third, three at short, two at second, one at first, two catchers.  Coach would hit a ball to third, he throws to first.  Repeat for the other guy.  If either messed up, he'd say "lets do that again" and repeat.  Then he'd move on to the next position, and repeat.  So, 10 kids, and 7 of them standing around not involved at all (and all the catcher was doing was catching a ball throw from first and giving it to the coach hitting, so he wasn't really working on anything), sometimes going 3-4 minutes between opportunities to touch the ball, or even move.  Waste of time.

But it gets worse.  How many coaches do you think were running this drill?  Four.  One hitting, one in the field giving the kids pointers (not a bad idea, except when the coach wants to hit the same kid a second in a row because he messed it up, but the coach in the field stops the whole show to show this one kid something specific.  It might be beneficial for everyone to hear, but there's no chance the other kids are still paying attention because they are all bored out of their gourd at this point).  The other two just standing around.

It gets worse, is this an inexperienced coach with a young team?  No, these are 13-15 year olds and this coach has been coaching probably for decades.  Of course he's probably doing it the same way he's been always doing it so he's not going to change.  

And this isn't a field with limited facilities.  They have a full 300+ foot fence, two bullpens, and two batting cages.  And people wonder why baseball is dying an kids are playing lacrosse more and more. 

This is good to teach kids, every positions has a throw to back up on every play.  Gets kids moving on every pitch, and teaches them they are involved, or at least potentially involved in every play, so they need to pay attention.

Mini rant, I have picked my youngest up from practice a few times this season, and I always go early to see what they are doing.  The last time I went, they were doing infield; two kids at third, three at short, two at second, one at first, two catchers.  Coach would hit a ball to third, he throws to first.  Repeat for the other guy.  If either messed up, he'd say "lets do that again" and repeat.  Then he'd move on to the next position, and repeat.  So, 10 kids, and 7 of them standing around not involved at all (and all the catcher was doing was catching a ball throw from first and giving it to the coach hitting, so he wasn't really working on anything), sometimes going 3-4 minutes between opportunities to touch the ball, or even move.  Waste of time.

But it gets worse.  How many coaches do you think were running this drill?  Four.  One hitting, one in the field giving the kids pointers (not a bad idea, except when the coach wants to hit the same kid a second in a row because he messed it up, but the coach in the field stops the whole show to show this one kid something specific.  It might be beneficial for everyone to hear, but there's no chance the other kids are still paying attention because they are all bored out of their gourd at this point).  The other two just standing around.

It gets worse, is this an inexperienced coach with a young team?  No, these are 13-15 year olds and this coach has been coaching probably for decades.  Of course he's probably doing it the same way he's been always doing it so he's not going to change.  

And this isn't a field with limited facilities.  They have a full 300+ foot fence, two bullpens, and two batting cages.  And people wonder why baseball is dying an kids are playing lacrosse more and more. 
We do this but have 3 coaches hitting grounders at the same time with no catcher ;)

I was going to start with a LCF, RCF SS and 2B.  Have 3 kids at each position, and throw a ball to LC, and then teach that RC should be backing up,  SS comes out for cutoff and 2B covers.   Then with same kids throw ball to RF, and reverse the LCF backs up, 2B is cutoff and SS covers 2B.   Then rotate

Since so young I want to teach all at once so I don't see a way around a 3 man rotation. 

plan to have one coach hitting and all spread out no rinse and repeat.  Tell kids beforehand where they should back up and then reinforce.  Should be 30 seconds between hit balls.

plan to have one coach hitting and all spread out no rinse and repeat.  Tell kids beforehand where they should back up and then reinforce.  Should be 30 seconds between hit balls.
Depending on age, things such as where to back up aren't drills that need to be done over and over and over again.  Could be a five minute drill done during practice, maybe 10 if every kid has two primary positions.  Quick run through with a ball hit to each spot, make sure everyone knows their spot.  I wouldn't think this is something that needs to be done for an extended period of time.  I put this in the category of learning once, then getting repeated brief reminders (not drilled over and over again until little Johnny does it right!).

Kids are better off getting multiple repetitions of skills/fundamentals that are improved with constant repetition (hitting, throwing, fielding, catching, etc).

Bottom line, especially for this age, practice needs to be fun and fast moving so kids learn the game is something fun to do and not beg their parents to miss practice.

Depending on age, things such as where to back up aren't drills that need to be done over and over and over again.  Could be a five minute drill done during practice, maybe 10 if every kid has two primary positions.  Quick run through with a ball hit to each spot, make sure everyone knows their spot.  I wouldn't think this is something that needs to be done for an extended period of time.  I put this in the category of learning once, then getting repeated brief reminders (not drilled over and over again until little Johnny does it right!).

Kids are better off getting multiple repetitions of skills/fundamentals that are improved with constant repetition (hitting, throwing, fielding, catching, etc).

Bottom line, especially for this age, practice needs to be fun and fast moving so kids learn the game is something fun to do and not beg their parents to miss practice.
I want all to play 3 positions but I have no clue yet on who can play where... Need to figure that out first

I want all to play 3 positions but I have no clue yet on who can play where... Need to figure that out first
Don't worry about that.  Play every player everywhere and rotate positions every inning.  At this age there should be no specialization of a position.  The kids should learn every position because there is no way to know where they will develop to.  The only caveat being not to play someone at first base that cannot protect themselves.  Every other position is fair game.  As the tournament goes on and you get to the elimination day then you can limit the switching a bit because you are trying to win more.   

Don't worry about that.  Play every player everywhere and rotate positions every inning.  At this age there should be no specialization of a position.  The kids should learn every position because there is no way to know where they will develop to.  The only caveat being not to play someone at first base that cannot protect themselves.  Every other position is fair game.  As the tournament goes on and you get to the elimination day then you can limit the switching a bit because you are trying to win more.   
I would put catcher and pitcher on that list as well.

I agree somewhat but not a ton of difference between OF positions 2B, SS.  I think as long as they get a taste of OF, IF, 1B, P, C that is good

The key to having an efficient practice is to have a pre-planned practice with times associated for each drill.  You should never spend an hour on one drill like typical "Little League Batting Practice".  That is too many kids standing around being board getting nothing out of practice.  If you have access to a batting cage that is where the majority of the machine work should take place. 

Sample practice plan:

15 minutes - stretch and warm up (light jogging, stretching, arm stretches, etc)

20 minutes - playing catch (start from a knee working "T" fundamentals, progress to standing rotating T, power step, long toss, and back to quick catch); NOTE:  You should spend a lot of coaching time during this phase because proper throwing mechanics is critical for the entire game of baseball.  This can stretch to 30 minutes as instruction is necessary.  Stay on top of the kids and have all coaches intermingling staying on top of the mechanics.  If you can do nothing else but get the kids in the habit of proper throwing mechanics at this age group you will  have succeeded greatly

30 minutes - defense fundamentals; Break into even groups based on number of coaches available (they don't all have to be to knowledgeable but a basic fundamental is all they need at this point).  Focus each group on a specific fundamental, ground ball, fly ball, turning two, backhands, short hops, charging, etc.  Rotate groups so each kid participates in each station.  If need be extend to 45 minutes.  Each station should be 5-8 minutes and then rotate

30 minutes - hitting stations.  Groups should be no more than 4 players.  Two is preferred if you have enough coaches to monitor stations. Use same groups and set up soft toss, tee, front toss, whiffle balls, heavy balls, etc.  Have a shag group or two as necessary. Same as defense stations.  5-8 minutes.  We usually get about 100 swings all said and done in this time frame per kid.

25 minutes - "2-Ball".  This is where you get in game situation and can stress your back up requirements and getting live reads off the bat.  It is a controlled intrasquad game that uses the hitting groups.  Depending on the number of kids you have will dictate the number of groups and "stations".  I like to have a hitting group, baserunning group, and two fielding groups.  This requires 16 players though with 4 kids per group.  This covers the field and gives time to get to stations.  each batter gets two pitches at most.  The ball is live and you play it out based on where it is hit.  Each kid gets anywhere from 2-4 AB's.  Once each player in the group gets all their AB's rotate.  hitting to runners; runners to field, field to field, field to hit.  You can stop when situations come up to explain where the cut should be or where the back up should be.  Have wondering coaches with each group to explain situations and how to ger live reads off the bat.  This is the best time to simulate live play.  This can extend to 45 minutes if you have time. 

Key is to stay on time and don't go over.  Keep moving, You can get a lot of fundamentals in a short time with the end being the scrimmage for game situations to go over the fundamentals you concentrated on during the drill portion.     

I agree somewhat but not a ton of difference between OF positions 2B, SS.  I think as long as they get a taste of OF, IF, 1B, P, C that is good
The problem is the stigma of playing OF at this age group - especially RF.  Most non-baseball parents/kids think RF is the worst player when in reality RF is your best Outfielder.  Removing the stigma is important and by rotating to each position you can help temper that perception and that is the important part about rotating the positions even though technically the skills/movements are very similar. 

One good way to build up RF is to stress the importance they have of backing up 1B on every infield play.  "That is why that position is sooooo important and why everyone has to know how to play that position"  Plus it gets the OF moving on every hit ball whether it is to them or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread