What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Bill Murray's signature role? (1 Viewer)

What say you...

• Meatballs

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Caddyshack

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • Stripes

Votes: 53 18.4%
  • Tootsie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scrooged

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Ghostbusters

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • What about Bob?

• Groundhog day

Votes: 77 26.7%
  • Lost in Translation

• Other

• Total voters
It's Herman J. Blumme.

John Winger comes in 2nd.

Bob Harris rounds out the top three(actually I'd put this as a tie with Kingpin).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingpin was awesome but Caddyshack kind of defined the whole 1980's era.

Votes for GroundHog's Day are based on recency bias.  Wow.. typing that gave me a strange feeling of deja vu...
I thought he was at best the third funniest character in Caddyshack. It might be my favorite movie on the list, but Stripes was more of a showcase/signature role for him. 

I thought he was at best the third funniest character in Caddyshack. It might be my favorite movie on the list, but Stripes was more of a showcase/signature role for him. 
Little known fact that Bill could have had the lead role in Caddyshack.  He sort of got Munsoned in the deal...

Ghostbusters was so iconic that you still know who Ray Parker jr is. 

Caddyshack was him playing a silly character for a few minutes of screen time.  He was practically a cameo. Doesn't belong at all. 

Stripes was outstanding but didn't have the mass appeal that Ghostbusters did.  CloseStripes was a really good comedy, but Ghostbusters totally dominated the movie scene. 

Groundhog day might be his best movie but he was such an established actor by then that half the fun of the movie is watching Bill Murray,  not watching some new character played by Bill Murray.  

Kingpin and scrooged aren't nearly iconic enough to be on this list.  

Kingpin was awesome but Caddyshack kind of defined the whole 1980's era.

Votes for GroundHog's Day are based on recency bias.  Wow.. typing that gave me a strange feeling of deja vu...
Agree about Caddyshack, but was his role large enough?  I'd go Stripes, Groundhog's Day or Ghostbusters.

Although, a soft spot for the only film he directed: Quick Change. That might be quintessential Murray, directing himself in one of the most under appreciated comedies ever. 
I've never seen it, or heard about it.  I'll have to check it out soon...

Bill is my guy because he is a Cubs fan.  I loved seeing him in the clubhouse during the champagne celebration.

Caddyshack isn't that good. It's true. 

Also, he doesn't interact with anyone in it. He's a B story that can be lifted out of the film entirely. 

Agree Future Champs above; Groundhog Day is a great film, but, he's All Murray in Ghostbusters. 

Although, a soft spot for the only film he directed: Quick Change. That might be quintessential Murray, directing himself in one of the most under appreciated comedies ever. 
Great call with Quick Change. The crying on the inside kind.

Tough one. I went Ghostbusters but I can't quibble with anyone who says Groundhog Day. I think he did his best acting in Rushmore and he completely steals Kingpin. 

Probably Ghostbusters but I voted Groundhog Day. Personal favorite is a toss up between Rushmore and Quick Change.

I agree with this, and in a way I think the comparatively short nature of the role sets it apart from the rest. He basically steals (makes) a classic film in what, 10 minutes of screen time? And he improvised the whole thing? Yeah.
I don't think anyone could touch that comedic performance. 

Users who are viewing this thread