What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who writes this stuff? (1 Viewer)

DonnyT33

Footballguy
I've always wondered who writes the footballguys view that's under the news blurbs on the newsblogger page? Is it the same person all the time, who is it Joe Bryant, Dodds?

Do they think a rookie TE will really see more targets than Sterling Shepard will?

Giants | Evan Engram keeps impressing    Sat Jun 10, 11:03 PM

New York Giants TE Evan Engram is generating excitement with his performance at OTAs, according to head coach Ben McAdoo, and the Giants have been using more sets that feature two tight ends.

Footballguys view: This is a drumbeat that has been consistent throughout the offseason. Engram can be a dangerous tight end because he basically plays like a super-sized wide receiver. The rookie from Ole Miss is likely to become a favorite target of QB Eli Manning. Engram should end up third in the pecking order for targets behind Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandon Marshall.

Link to story

Many times ive begged to differ some others much more than this Engram story, Ill say Shepard sees more targets than the rookie Engram.

Be nice to have a thread to post the opinions of others vs the Footballguys view.. Ill do that here as long as allowed and welcome others to do the same. Many times ive read the view and think whoever this is they seem to think they no exactly whats going on. I need a place to come and give my humble opinion of their views.

Stick it to football only..no grammar nazis needed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it's always Joe. During the season or after a down year, I've never seen anybody quicker on the trigger with a "not the player he used to be" or "lost half a step". It usually seems like a knee-jerk reaction to a bad season and is thus premature. Not the kind of takes you'd expect from a seasoned veteran. Oh and it seems like 95% of players are seen as "[whatever their adp is] with upside" so if a guy is the 22nd WR off the board, "we see him as a WR2 with upside". I don't think I've ever seen an "our view" that goes out on a limb. So I usually just use them for the news blurbs and don't read the "our view" portion. If I do have the time to read that part, I generally take it with a grain of salt. But to be fair, if any other company offered such a feature, I'm sure I'd take their view with a grain of salt, too.

I'm pretty sure it's always Joe. During the season or after a down year, I've never seen anybody quicker on the trigger with a "not the player he used to be" or "lost half a step". It usually seems like a knee-jerk reaction to a bad season and is thus premature. Not the kind of takes you'd expect from a seasoned veteran. Oh and it seems like 95% of players are seen as "[whatever their adp is] with upside" so if a guy is the 22nd WR off the board, "we see him as a WR2 with upside". I don't think I've ever seen an "our view" that goes out on a limb. So I usually just use them for the news blurbs and don't read the "our view" portion. If I do have the time to read that part, I generally take it with a grain of salt. But to be fair, if any other company offered such a feature, I'm sure I'd take their view with a grain of salt, too.

So many players who "are a threat to take it to the house on any play" and yet so few do with any kind of regularity.

I was reading a few articles this morning on QBs.

The article about players to avoid mentioned Kirk Cousins because Kyle Shanahan left to be the HC in San Fran. Oops.

Another one about QBs to Target/Avoid says Drew Brees is a value at his current ADP of QB10. Where is Brees being drafted as QB10?

The article about players to avoid mentioned Kirk Cousins because Kyle Shanahan left to be the HC in San Fran. Oops.

Another one about QBs to Target/Avoid says Drew Brees is a value at his current ADP of QB10. Where is Brees being drafted as QB10?
Just curious why the Cousins thing was an oops?  I'm very slow to pick up on things and can't figure this one out.

NEVERMIND- Falcons.  Ha.  Now I get it

Just curious why the Cousins thing was an oops?  I'm very slow to pick up on things and can't figure this one out.

NEVERMIND- Falcons.  Ha.  Now I get it
Haha no worries. I mean Kyle was the OC in Washington, but hasn't been with the Skins since 2013. Cousins did lose his OC, but it was Sean McVay, not Kyle Shanahan.

Haha no worries. I mean Kyle was the OC in Washington, but hasn't been with the Skins since 2013. Cousins did lose his OC, but it was Sean McVay, not Kyle Shanahan.
So I wonder if we see Cousins off the next avoid list and replaced by Ryan.  Or both on the list.  Or Both off.  lol

So I wonder if we see Cousins off the next avoid list and replaced by Ryan.  Or both on the list.  Or Both off.  lol
They're both on there haha. I can see saying Cousins could be an avoid because of losing McVay, but at least get the name right of the OC that he is losing.

Is it facist to expect those posting at a public message board to spell and use simple words correctly?
Dunno... what does it mean to be "facist"?

On my part, I am on this page and others for a break from the stresses of the real world... so I frequently let slide things like editing my posts... its why I also like it when players with impossible to spell last names get nicknames (whoever came up with TJH deserves a beer).

I don't think the Engram over Shepard is that far off base.  

Shepard 5'10 194lbs 4.48 40 yard and 118.9 SparQ score. 

Engram is 6'3 234lbs ran a 4.42 40 with a 123.9 SparQ score.

Considering Eli's penchant for Tight Ends (ala Will Tye, Larry Donnel, etc...) I'd imagine the faster dude who is 5 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier gets the looks in the red zone.

Hey Guys,

For the Our View blurbs it's a team effort with Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom and myself with Cecil and Sig doing the heavy lifting. But I'm the last one to touch it and the "Our View" ultimately rests with me. Many I'll leave as Cec and Sig have them and for the ones, I don't agree with, I'll change. Part of the positives of FBG is multiple voices but I'm also very aware that end of the day, we have to make a call. 

J

Hi Matt, Thanks for the headsup on the Shanahan error. We'll tweak - had Ryan (another excellent but unfortunately likely overvalued QB) on the brain. Can you point me to where it says Brees is a value at QB10? That's clearly and error and we need to correct. We have him as QB4 in ADP. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/adp-ppr.php?viewpos=qb&sortby=consensus

Thanks.

J

And for the original question, for sure discussion is welcome. For the best use of the forum though, it's way better to keep the threads focused. In other words, a thread titled, "Evan Engram for real?" and then quoting what we wrote and then laying out what you think and why you disagree will be tons more productive than a general thread that rambles.

J

MattFancy said:

mfl he is at qb 10

#    PLAYER    AVG. PICK    MIN. PICK    MAX. PICK    # DRAFTS SELECTED IN
1.    Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB    18.68    1    57    217
2.    Luck, Andrew IND QB    25.56    1    85    217
3.    Winston, Jameis TBB QB    42.34    6    125    210
4.    Wilson, Russell SEA QB    46.64    7    131    210
5.    Brady, Tom NEP QB    47.07    1    154    213
6.    Carr, Derek OAK QB    49.07    6    148    210
7.    Newton, Cam CAR QB    52.29    8    158    211
8.    Mariota, Marcus TEN QB    52.96    9    125    209
9.    Ryan, Matt ATL QB    54.78    11    175    209
10.    Brees, Drew NOS QB    58.40    4    197    207

guessing that it is a bunch of dynasty leagues knocking him down

Joe Bryant said:
Hi Matt, Thanks for the headsup on the Shanahan error. We'll tweak - had Ryan (another excellent but unfortunately likely overvalued QB) on the brain. Can you point me to where it says Brees is a value at QB10? That's clearly and error and we need to correct. We have him as QB4 in ADP. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/adp-ppr.php?viewpos=qb&sortby=consensus

Thanks.

J
Thanks for looking into it Joe!

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2017earlytargetavoidquarterbacks

mfl he is at qb 10

#    PLAYER    AVG. PICK    MIN. PICK    MAX. PICK    # DRAFTS SELECTED IN
1.    Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB    18.68    1    57    217
2.    Luck, Andrew IND QB    25.56    1    85    217
3.    Winston, Jameis TBB QB    42.34    6    125    210
4.    Wilson, Russell SEA QB    46.64    7    131    210
5.    Brady, Tom NEP QB    47.07    1    154    213
6.    Carr, Derek OAK QB    49.07    6    148    210
7.    Newton, Cam CAR QB    52.29    8    158    211
8.    Mariota, Marcus TEN QB    52.96    9    125    209
9.    Ryan, Matt ATL QB    54.78    11    175    209
10.    Brees, Drew NOS QB    58.40    4    197    207

guessing that it is a bunch of dynasty leagues knocking him down
That has to be it. But when you go to the ADP page on the FBG site, Brees is listed as QB3. When you go to the ADP page on FBG and sort by MFL, Brees is QB4.

Thanks for looking into it Joe!

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2017earlytargetavoidquarterbacks

That has to be it. But when you go to the ADP page on the FBG site, Brees is listed as QB3. When you go to the ADP page on FBG and sort by MFL, Brees is QB4.
Thanks. I thought we were talking about the Over and Under Value article. Chad's article may have used MFL for the ADP. We have him higher for the ADP we've gathered. So I guess the answer to your question about where is Brees at ADP of QB 10 is that he's there on MFL last week when Chad's article was written. These can change day by day. This will shake out more obviously as more drafts happen and we get way more inputs into the average. It's always a bit jumpy this time of year.

J

FWIW I think the footballguys view is dead on... I think he is 3rd in the pecking order but not behind Marshall... I don't think Marshall amounts to much this year but that's just my 0.02

NYG TEs combined for 113 targets last season. Shepard had 105.

NYG's WR3 last year had 72 targets. TE Will Ty had 70. You can see how adding a stellar talent at TE and dropping Shepard down to WR3 by adding Marshall (even though I think Shepard is better than Marshall at this point) could very possibly drop Shepard below the top TE for targets? 

Remember, this is a service of guys who gather their information like anyone else in these forums, obviously more because it's what they do, but their opinion is just an opinion. You take it for what it's worth. Any information I get from anything FBG is weighed against several opinions that I respect in the Forums as well as my own until I come to my own conclusion.

It's the same as someone complaining because the FBG weekly cheat sheets had a kicker #1 so they dropped their normal kicker to grab him and the reverse happened; their normal kicker went off and the #1 kicker got 2 PATs 

Footballguys view: Bradford performed admirably considering that he was behind one of the worst lines in the league with almost no help from the running game. There are so many quarterbacks that can outperform ADP in drafts this year that Bradford shouldn't be a primary target, but if you get caught on the wrong side of a run, he'll be a good high floor fallback.     

I'll say this will be incorrect and hell be a worthy starer in 12 team league. If O line is improved (it needs to be) he might even surprise you. He should be a primary target late in drafts as a more than capable back up, his schedule imo is really good. 

Do they think a rookie TE will really see more targets than Sterling Shepard a second year WR?
Sure, why not?  If Engram can present a mismatch opportunity to exploit...  You talk abut Shepard the way you might about an established veteran. 

Footballguys view: Bradford performed admirably considering that he was behind one of the worst lines in the league with almost no help from the running game. There are so many quarterbacks that can outperform ADP in drafts this year that Bradford shouldn't be a primary target, but if you get caught on the wrong side of a run, he'll be a good high floor fallback.     

I'll say this will be incorrect and hell be a worthy starer in 12 team league. If O line is improved (it needs to be) he might even surprise you. He should be a primary target late in drafts as a more than capable back up, his schedule imo is really good. 
No wonder you hate grammar nazis.

Hey DonnyT   I appreciate ya sharing your opinion!  (Personally for me) An article take has to be off base a bit, before Id consider questioning.  Obviously if someone else raises the question, it becomes free game~! 

(btw) Thankfully their correcting our English, and not some shameful dialect from abroad!

However, almost everyone attempts to stay on subject.  Mr Bryant just touched on the importance of presentation.  

/ Quote quoting what we wrote and then laying out what you think and why you disagree  /End

Think its productive to shout out Shepard to a degree,,  But, it is much more important to start a new thread for Bradford  Theres a good chance some real feedback will be missed, because the OP is about TE's in NY.  For instance, I don't even need to roster a TE, because its a flex spot.  I clicked this post because it sounds like "click bait"  Quite frankly the thread title sounds like something that could lead to a ban.   However, you have my attention speaking of Bradford.  I may have a comment, or two, but I feel its best that ya regroup, and start a real thread  

Normally we try to continue old threads when possible!  I sorta think ya should be using Bradfords thread in all honesty.  Yeah, I understand its mostly a concern w/ redraft ADP, but its Bradford related info too

I'll take the Football Guys view on this one.

I'll take the Football Guys view on this one.
Can you help us to understand your view?  Been burned by Bradford in the past   Is it the name of the writer   You know the Vikings organization pretty well?

If its actually the FBG take, Id like to get onboard if possible!

Can you help us to understand your view?  Been burned by Bradford in the past   Is it the name of the writer   You know the Vikings organization pretty well?

If its actually the FBG take, Id like to get onboard if possible!
Yea hot take, there are are more than 12 QB's who will better statistically then Bradford.

For more groundbreaking analysis as a running threat he's not much and as a passer he peaked at 21 TD's in a season.  Vikings made possible minor improvements with some weapons but failed in their FA pursuit of guys like Alshon and basically did not add much, not anyone to make me think they will help Bradford make a jump. And he'll need a jump, a big one, to get into top 12 because in leagues I'm in he was QB24 in PPG weeks 1-16. Last year QB19 had a better PPG fantasy season then Bradfords best PPG fantasy season and again I am not seeing anything that makes me think he's going to take a big leap. Sounds like Footballguys cut him slack for joining team late and that is fair except his he moved from 26th in PPG in weeks 1-8 to 24 in weeks 9-16. And again while last year was last year it's been this way most of his career and I see no reason for a jump.

He's not a bad QB. Kind of like poor mans Aikman with more injuries but even Aikman was not a big time fantasy player. Solid highly accurate QB with average weapons, low end backup with potential to be high end backup is what I see him as.

Footballguys view: It's always nerve-wracking when the cart is brought out. The initial reports are positive, but we'll wait for further results. The Jaguars are likely to run the ball more this year, making Lee (their no3 WR) no more than a WR6 for fantasy owners.

Lee won me a bunch of leagues last year when all said he was wr #4 or 5 wr there...now hes #2 from all i can check into. I think u need to go look at his numbers in ppr scoring last year and give this another thought...

here is where he finished last year in ppr..his numbers in 8-10 games were excellent all things considered..

36.Sterling Shepard WRNYG8 Free Agent  184.

37.Steve SmithWRBAL8 Free Agent   183.

38.Cameron MeredithWRCHI9 Free Agent    181.

39.Dez BryantWRDAL7 Free Agent    181.

40.Marqise Lee WRJAC5 Free Agent  180.

41.DeSean JacksonWRWAS9 Free Agent   180.

42.Anquan BoldinWRDET10 Free Agent  173.

43.Marvin Jones

ill take those numbers and use him match up wise ar wr #3 or flex start just off how well he did me last year and not much has changed except he may see more targets his way. Fournette will run a lot sure but hey will fall behind some games to have to go to the air

It will be interesting to see how Shepard is mixed in this year. The team added WR Brandon Marshall and TE Evan Engram this offseason, and that will cut into the target opportunities for Shepard. He should be drafted as a WR5, and projecting the second-year pro for around 50 catches seems 

50 catches only huh?  last year he was 36th wr in ppr scoring

36.Sterling Shepard WR NYG    184.40  pts.

Marshall and Engram added yes, imo Shepard is too good to not use more and should get much closer to last years numbers than just 50 receptions would bring...Beckham and Marshall is no spring chicken if he misses time Shep might go real good..giants have a nice schedule and some nice spots in ff playoffs. Beckham, Marshall and now Engram will get the defenses attention most leaving Shepard one on one with third corners or safties covering him. He gonna have lots of room to work inside or out. 

last year he had 65 receptions for 683 yards and 8 tds.......i do think he'll have a very hard time matching the 8 tds but still think hes too talented for them to not use as much. 

I mean I took a break from FF for a few years so I ain't one to talk, but I just find it funny that this guy nearly went 3 years without posting but a random Sterling Shepherd blurb has woken him from hibernation to be his knight in shining armor.

Oh and you better watch out for Roger Lewis.

Yes. Talking about the grammar rather than point of the post is fascist
It is also deflecting and people who attack grammar are ones who deserve the real mocking as nothing waves a white flag more to you cant make a point than attacking someones grammar, since lets face it, we all make typos mistakes and so on.

Its a cheap cheap cheap way to deflect. It is fascist by definition. "Spell my way and do it properly or we wont acknowledge your point." Sounds very fascist to me...since he asked below. 

Is it facist to expect those posting at a public message board to spell and use simple words correctly?
That being said to the OP, when talking about who writes this stuff, you have to remember most of this is an opinion anyways so read accordingly. 

I mean I took a break from FF for a few years so I ain't one to talk, but I just find it funny that this guy nearly went 3 years without posting but a random Sterling Shepherd blurb has woken him from hibernation to be his knight in shining armor.

Oh and you better watch out for Roger Lewis.
I think Engram and Marshall take more away from Shep then Lewis. 

Users who are viewing this thread