What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Zegras11

Footballguy
June 18, 2017: NHL Expansion Draft player list released

June 21, 2017: NHL Expansion Draft picks revealed - Vegas Golden Knights select from pool of players made available by the 30 other teams. Will be announced during 2017 NHL Awards.

June 21, 2017: NHL Awards, takes place in Las Vegas at T-Mobile Arena 

June 23-24, 2017: NHL Draft, takes place in Chicago, IL

"The Flyers select, from the QMJ Halifax Mooseheads, Nico Hischier". 

Yes and please. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep discounts on slow moving, worn down, poor possessing defensemen with long term, big money contracts and NMCs! Reach Jeff Gorton at 1-800-IH8SLATS!

Haven't really dove into the expansion draft or rules yet but as always this is an inconvenient development for some of the up and coming teams. 

I do like that fans from every team think they are going to lose a goalie. Like Vegas is going to draft 20 goalies or something. 

Haven't really dove into the expansion draft or rules yet but as always this is an inconvenient development for some of the up and coming teams. 

I do like that fans from every team think they are going to lose a goalie. Like Vegas is going to draft 20 goalies or something. 
I am hoping, not thinking.

The Minnesota Wild will lose Jonas Brodin  

Predictions on other teams and whom they are losing?

They discussed this on TSN hockey hour one day, suggesting that why not take 4-5 goalies if there's no worthwhile forwards to select, then flip a couple goalies for better assets/draft picks. 

They discussed this on TSN hockey hour one day, suggesting that why not take 4-5 goalies if there's no worthwhile forwards to select, then flip a couple goalies for assets. 
I read a few days ago that they will get3 to 4 floater picks after meeting position requirements.    Those could easily be goalies.   

The Minnesota Wild will lose Jonas Brodin  

Predictions on other teams and whom they are losing?
I think they will protect Brodin.  with comparable value to Scandella you keep the 23 year old on the longer/better deal.

I think Dumba is moved either in a trade or as the exposed player to Vegas.

best case scenario is they move Dumba for picks/prospects (likely, has good trade value) and get Pominville to waive no move and get Vegas to agree to a price that they agree to draft Pominville.  getting that done is unlikely but if they can get Pominville to waive no move you can still work a deal for Vegas to take Haula over Scandella.  hinges on Poms waiving, but worst case you only expose Staal so no big deal.  the key is getting a deal in place to have them take a forward and keep four D. 

but Olofsson and Reilly give them a lot of flexibility to make moves here IMO.  they have good depth and they will move Dumba while he still has good value.  I hope. 

hopefully no big shakeup.  that would be a mistake.

No surprise here:

Jimmy Murphy @MurphysLaw74

ICYMI: NHL sources - one close to situation - confirmed to me that #Pens G #Marcandrefleury has waived modified NMC for #NHLExpansionDraft

Pretty good start for an expansion team to have a two time cup winner in net. 

rangers will lose either raanta, grabner or lindberg.  fast surgery likely makes him a non select.
I dont know. If Vegas wants Fast (and I am not sure why they would not) then waiting an extra month for him doesnt seem too bad to me. I think Fast showed his upside in the playoffs this year. I would think they would stay away from Grabner because he had his best year in the league. I think its Fast and Lindberg. 

From what I heard, neither Staal or Girardi has been asked to waive their nmc  :wall:

Keep in mind these key dates:
Monday, June 12 (2 p.m. PT): Deadline for teams (with the exception of Nashville and Pittsburgh) to ask players with no-movement clauses to waive them.
Friday, June 16 (2 p.m. PT): Deadline for players who have no-movement clauses to waive them.
Saturday, June 17 (2 p.m. PT): All 30 NHL clubs must submit their list of protected players to the NHL. A league-wide roster freeze (meaning no trades/waivers) will take effect until June 22 (5 a.m. PT).
Sunday, June 18: The protected lists for all 30 teams is expected to be released.
Wednesday, June 21: The NHL will announce Vegas' selections at the NHL Awards.

Figuring they lose Laughton or Raffl. Outside shot at Matt Read. 

Too many younger cheaper better goalies than Neuvirth.
My god it would be a bigger hockey miracle than getting the 2nd pick if they selected Matt Read. Connecting Neuvirth to McPhee, thinking he would be comfortable taking someone he knows. But if they grab MAF wouldn't be wise unless they intend to flip him. Forgot about Raffl too, I guess he's a possibility. Cheap forward who can fill in up and down the lineup. 

Kings hope Vegas takes Brown or Gaborik.  Need to get rid of those terrible contracts but I am sure that will never happen. 

Kings hope Vegas takes Brown or Gaborik.  Need to get rid of those terrible contracts but I am sure that will never happen. 
CBJ may have beaten you to the punch on dumping bad contracts. Friedman saying a deal in place for Vegas to take Clarkson's contract along with a 1st and a prospect. 

CBJ may have beaten you to the punch on dumping bad contracts. Friedman saying a deal in place for Vegas to take Clarkson's contract along with a 1st and a prospect. 
I have seen similar posts regarding Brown and the Kings 1st rounder (11th overall).  I am guessing any team with bad contracts is looking into this possibility.   Lot's of smoke and I am sure it will happen for a team or two.

Kings  MB is an awesome place  :loco:

That would set the Kings back more than just buying one of them out.
Not really.  The Brown contract is terrible and lasts another 5 years.  Getting rid of that would be worth it.  The bad part is I thought that Brown played good (for what he is now) this year.  It's just not worth the cap hit and that is really hurting the overall flexibility. 

Here are the expansion draft rules:

The following rules were approved for the 2017 Expansion Draft: 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club's player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Regulations Relating to Expansion Franchise
* The Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each presently existing club for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Las Vegas franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2017-18 season.

* The Las Vegas franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Las Vegas franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

So in essence, a team can protect more than three defensemen, but would only be able to protect eight total skaters. And the Knights have to draft at least three goalies, but can take more (only locked in to 26 of 30 by position ... 14 F, 9 D, 3 G).

Also, Vegas has to spend between 60 and 100 percent of the $73 million cap from last season. That means Vegas has a cap floor of roughly $44 million (it's $54M for everyone else), so it will be interesting to see if any bigger salaries come into play.

OK, so who do you guys believe (or hear, even if it's all speculation) will be protected by the teams you follow?

I'll start with the Bruins.

FORWARDS (7)

Patrice Bergeron (NMC)
David Backes (NMC)
David Krejci (NMC)
Brad Marchand
David Pastrnak

So that leaves a group of Ryan Spooner, Riley Nash, Matt Beleskey and Jimmy Hayes. Spooner is often maligned, but h is an RFA and I think the B's probably keep him just for that potential barganing chip. Nash was a pretty useful defensive forward, so I think they will be the last two. All four of these forwards fulfill the expansion requirements.

Among those not eligible: Noel Acciari, Sean Kuraly, Frank Vatrano

DEFENSEMEN (3)

Zdeno Chara (NMC)
Torey Krug

That will leave an interesting decision among Adam McQuaid, Kevan Miller and Colin Miller. I can see them going in any direction here.

Among those not eligible: Brandon Carlo, Charlie McAvoy

GOALIE (1)

Tuukka Rask

That means both Anton Khudobin and Malcolm Subban will be exposed. Vegas could take a flyer on Subban, a former No. 1 pick, especially if they see him as a development type goalie behind a veteran like Fleury or Lack.

Not eligible: Zane McIntyre

Subban would be intriguing, but most people seem to think the choice will be between McQuaid and Beleskey. It will be interesting to see if Sweeney makes any deals to get Vegas either to take a certain player(s) or to leave any alone.

Hawks apparently looking to "dump" a core player.  Apparently it's Seabs but not confirmed.

Interesting that you didn't select MAF as one of your goalies. It seems like he would be the best available option for Vegas because they can market him as a multiple Cup winner. He also seems to be a good "team" guy.
I didn't see him but it is hard to pass on Schultz at 26.

Golden Knights is the worst name in US pro sports with the exception of the Nuggets. I think the logo is cool and they should have modified it and went with something like the Spartans. Hell the Las Vegas shovel knights would have been better.

How does something like that get approved?

How long until they shorten it to just the knights, like Anaheim did, or change the name altogether?

Users who are viewing this thread