What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When Was the Last Time You Met a Real Open Racist? (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
By racist, I mean overt. Obvious. Shares very racist opinions frequently or casually. 

I went to a small town bar about 3 years ago after playing golf in a rural part of Wisconsin. Bartender/Owner was a flat out racist. Complained about 'blacks on TV.'  Complained about the Jews of Hollywood. Wanted all the Muslims rounded up and thrown out of the country. This guy was so bad my buddy and I left after 1 beer. But apparently the rest of the patrons thought this was all OK and several of them agreed with his rantings. As we were leaving someone said 'good riddance. Damn big city ##########s.' 

I was floored. I know racism is an issue in an institutional sense. I know many people hold racist views but usually keep them to themselves or spew them anonymously online. But I guess I didn't expect to hear that kind of crap at a service establishment, by the owner no less. 

My wife's uncle. Just brutal with the n-word.

His birthday is Jan. 20 so last year his grandkids got him a cake with MLK's face on it as a joke. 

There's a few that go to the local brewery and it takes like 1 beer for them to explain to me (teacher in diverse high school) that blacks are stupid and Muslims will try to force everyone in the school to follow their Sharia laws. Very funny considering these racist POS are really stupid people and are constantly shoving their religion in my face. 

Moved recently, but stayed in the same town. Once I moved, I started to realize that I knew a couple of my new neighbors from our kids going to the same school / common friends, etc.

About a month after I moved in, an African American family moved in across the street.

One night, not long after they moved in, there was a lunar eclipse. A bunch of people were out in their yards watching it and I struck up a conversation with one of the neighbors that I'd known for years. How's your mom (she taught at one of the local schools), how's the kids, small talk BS just like always. Never before had our conversations moved towards anything racial, so I was rather caught off guard when he made a comment about burning a cross in the AA familiy's yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also my wife has a friend from South Carolina. She is nice and well educated, but she doesn't hide her racism but my guess is she wouldn't consider herself racist. 

My parents one friend. More so about 20 years ago. He'd drop the n word all the time when watching football, basketball, baseball. Nice enough guy. Was even my little league coach.  I think he's seen the times a changing cause he bottles it up nowadays.  You know it's still there though.

A few years ago, I was at an engagement party in a fancy-ish part of the Hamptons. (Not the Puffy section, but a nice area - I'm obviously not that familiar). 

I started talking to this pretty cute girl. Kind of thought things were going well. Then she told me that just a few weeks before, some new residents were having a party that got a little loud. But she and her friends could tell they didn't belong in that neighborhood - making it clear they were not white. And she said they were playing that jungle, hip hop music loud. So she called the cops on them.

I was kind of stunned. Then just started laughing. Didn't even get to hook up with her. Dammit.

I used to hear something 2-3 times/month.  Now it is more like 2-3/year, mainly due to a switch in job roles.

Here in Texas I imagine every time I walk out the door.
At least here in Alabama I have to drive a few miles to run over my first open racist. But that's only in in huntsville, other places you can't spit a chaw without hitting one. 

My dad was brutally openly racist.  Not against blacks, but he couldn't stand Chaldeans.

I was floored. I know racism is an issue in an institutional sense. I know many people hold racist views but usually keep them to themselves or spew them anonymously online. But I guess I didn't expect to hear that kind of crap at a service establishment, by the owner no less. 
Encountering overt racism can be shocking and very difficult to deal with. Its certainly apparent in the rural US, but it is also common to encounter open racism in the African American culture in the US, throughout many parts of Europe and Asia, and probably other places I've never been to. Having lived in several different countries and communities, I find the overt racism described above more honest and in a sense somewhat refreshing compared to the unspoken (or whispered only in certain company), hidden, suppressed racism I've experienced in the white collar and academic communities.

Not far from our home.  (Oakland County) 
You see the news? There were 2 or 3 people saying they voted Trump because they thought he would protect Christians. They were begging him to review these cases and saying a deportation to Iraq is a death sentence.

You see the news? There were 2 or 3 people saying they voted Trump because they thought he would protect Christians. They were begging him to review these cases and saying a deportation to Iraq is a death sentence.
Saw deportation and they may be right.  I don't know if it fits but I'd like to think political asylum or its equivalent would be an option here. But it seems many applicants are denied by the courts, some without good reason. 

I was working on a racial discrimination (the irony) case in Montgomery Alabama right out of college.  I am pretty sure 90% of the white people at the department of transportation were openly racist.  Coming from a small town in AZ i remember this being very odd and unsettling to me.  I don't think i will ever go to there again and i feel sorry for anyone that grows up there.  

I was working on a racial discrimination (the irony) case in Montgomery Alabama right out of college.  I am pretty sure 90% of the white people at the department of transportation were openly racist.  Coming from a small town in AZ i remember this being very odd and unsettling to me.  I don't think i will ever go to there again and i feel sorry for anyone that grows up there.  
What were the details of the case?

What were the details of the case?
looks like it is still on going. Absolute fluster cuck when i was there.  I spend over a year trying to put a system in place where they could recruit people of color into key roles.  The problem is no engineer wants to move to Montgomery AL let alone a person of color.   I will be honest, the POC's that were employed while i was there, generally speaking, completely exploited the lawsuit because they could not be fired period.  All around disaster.  $300MM, that must be a large chunk of AL disposable budget.  

Go to any #BLM rally and you will see open racism.  

Last time I encountered it was in Madison, Wisconsin at well known restaurant in town.  A group of blacks at the next table were absolutely vial in their hatred for anything to do with the white race .

Go to any #BLM rally and you will see open racism.  

Last time I encountered it was in Madison, Wisconsin at well known restaurant in town.  A group of blacks at the next table were absolutely vial in their hatred for anything to do with the white race .
You sound highly educated. 

Not a shock to anyone really.

Guy on my Sales team 5 years ago.  Birmingham Alabama.  I didn't understand what racism really looked like until I went to Alabama.

I moved from Arkansas about 2 months ago.  So about 2 months ago.
I hired a CDL driver a few months back that was from Arkansas. He was pretty open about referring to blacks as "mud ducks". One day I stepped outside for a smoke as he was pulling away and he was playing rap in his car. Very odd guy.

I spent my 5th grade year in Prattville, AL while my dad attended Air Command and Staff College.  I attended 2 different schools, 1 public and 1 private, and they were both a train wreck.  The 1st semester in the public school the quality of education and student was abysmal - no one cared.  21 out of 28 kids failed an open book science test.  It was the first time I had ever seen pad locks on school supplies in classrooms or milks in the cafeteria.  The 2nd semester I transferred to a private school that was better academically - yet still way below the public schools I attended in California and Fairfax county.  The school was all white and would have closed if a black student was admitted.  We were so happy that ACSC was only 1 year.

My uncle.  A few years ago he made a joke about the new watermelon patch at the White House. Not sure if that counts for OP's criteria, but definitely racist. 

A friend of a friend a while back told me how hilarious he thought Gran Torino was. Apparently he thought all of the racial slurs Clint Eastwood's character dropped were hysterical. 

Ghost Rider said:
A friend of a friend a while back told me how hilarious he thought Gran Torino was. Apparently he thought all of the racial slurs Clint Eastwood's character dropped were hysterical. 
He will find Mississippi Burning a real hoot

My dad. He has no problem telling me how his neighborhood has gone downhill since "they" started moving in. 

His neighborhood has maybe 3 black families. All of whom make more than I do. 

And don't even get him started on "the gays." 

My dad. He has no problem telling me how his neighborhood has gone downhill since "they" started moving in. 

You should tell him there are black gays.

Say hi to Weezie. 

I live in NYC and by far the most racist people I encounter are black people.  I see black people ranting about whites, Asians and Jews pretty frequently, especially on the subway and the street.  My parents were assaulted on the Upper West Side by a black guy because they are white (he was ranting about how much he hates white people).

I live in NYC and by far the most racist people I encounter are black people.  I see black people ranting about whites, Asians and Jews pretty frequently, especially on the subway and the street.  My parents were assaulted on the Upper West Side by a black guy because they are white (he was ranting about how much he hates white people).
If I had a nickel for every time I was called a white devil on the subway........

Users who are viewing this thread