What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (2 Viewers)

My grocery store sells bags of diced cauliflower. Mix in some salt and scrambled eggs and spread out on a pizza sheet. Bake at 350' for 20 minutes. And BAM!! Instant pizza crust. 
Our Costco has "Cauliflower Rice"... essentially just cauliflower that has been through a ricer, probably very similar or the same as what you are getting from the grocery store.

Our Costco has "Cauliflower Rice"... 
Could anyone help me build my Costco shopping list? Here's what I got so far:

Raw pecans, avocados, turkey breasts, pre-cooked bacon (this stuff is great), rotisserie chicken in a bag, cheese sticks or baby bell cheese, pepperoni sticks, mixed greens.

Raw pecans, avocados, turkey breasts, pre-cooked bacon (this stuff is great), rotisserie chicken in a bag, cheese sticks or baby bell cheese, pepperoni sticks, mixed greens.
I agree that the precooked bacon is very convenient, but it is about $11/pound if I recall correctly, or $11 for a pound and a half, at least at my local Costco.

The Costco thick cut bacon is something like $10 for 3 pounds, and oftentimes the grocery store will have bacon on sale - I recently stocked up on Farmer John brand thick cut bacon when it was reduced to something like $2.50 a pound.

I just cook up 2+ pounds or so at a time and keep it in the fridge. When I have time, I just lay it out on a baking pan and cook it in the oven. Let the bacon grease solidify and save that...nothing better than cooking with bacon drippings - especially scrambled eggs, etc.   A quick 30 seconds in the microwave and I have tasty crispy bacon for 1/3 the cost of the precooked stuff. Of course, my kids devour it pretty quickly as well - bagel with cream cheese and bacon is highly popular in my house.

Eggs, salami, kale, cheese and more cheese, also - those pre-cooked bacon slices are tiny, thin and not very satisfying.  I think you would be happier with getting the 3lb pack of THICK slice bacon and cooking it yourself.  (Bake it at 350 and use 2 baking sheets - can do about 20 at a time that way).  

Also - hunks of meat are great.  Pork butts to smoke or put in slow cooker, leg of lamb, steaks, burgers.  You aren't worried about fat.  

Ditch the turkey breast unless you plan on burying it in cheese, or actual useful fatty meat.  In the land of keto, "lean meats" are about as much an empty calorie as a carb is.  

anyone able to do this while eating oatmeal to start the day and then fasting for 4-6 hours?  I seem to be losing doing this and laying off the bread (I am eating black beans with chipotle for lunch). 

anyone able to do this while eating oatmeal to start the day and then fasting for 4-6 hours?  I seem to be losing doing this and laying off the bread (I am eating black beans with chipotle for lunch). 
Those are two high fiber foods which is great, but puts you in a more primal macro range. All depends on your goals and timelines etc etc. 

Smack Tripper said:
Ok if I kill the oatmeal can I do The black beans?

what about Diet Coke?

if I did strict keto for a month could I weave them back in?
Sounds like a great high fiber, low fat diet with either.  But 1 cup of black beans have 23 net carbs.  I am trying to keep under 10 carbs a day.  

Smack Tripper said:
at first, no way, but once you're adapted i think you can get away with some oatmeal. Especially the healthier ones that are < 25 carbs per servings. I have one pack of oatmeal in some almond milk twice a week. I only have it on the days I know what my lunch and dinner will so that the breakfast will be most of my carbs for the day. 

What have your results been? Are you losing or maintaining?
Day  53, I broke 170lbs - 169.4lbs (started at 187lbs).  Fat % is 22.3 (not sure where I started ...messed up my scale, have dropped 3% since tracking it correctly.  

My quarterly A1c check-up was 7.8 in March.  Went in today ...it was 6.2.  I am getting a little light-headed and dizzy, especially when I stand up - so doc said to drop my blood pressure medicine (benicar) by half (so go from 20mg to 10mg daily).  

My Kit Kat led to a series of events that will keep me forever committed to the keto diet (the two may or may not have a causal relationship, but regardless, like Pavlov's dog the experience is firmly imprinted in my mind). 

I went off the keto diet with a planned cheat with my beautiful wife at a local Italian restaurant we had wanted to try. We ate to our delight; the next day had a family barbecue and  devoured every carb in sight. I even enjoyed a Kit Kat. But an odd thing happened. Despite these carb-rich eating and drinking binges, for several days I did not poop. 

Then comes the next day. I wake up that morning unsettled by it.  I spend an hour pushing on the boulder, putting all my weight into it like I'm trying to nudge it down a hill. Nothing. I head to work and -- sweating, exhausted -- try the same exercise several times more. To no avail. Unfortunately I then I have to board a flight to Minneapolis. The urge becomes brutal at the poorly air-conditioned airport, and there I sit sweating profusely in the midst of a heat wave in junior varsity air conditioning in a state for which I only have one point of comparison, which is the three times I watched in horror as my wife pushed small people out of her uterus.  No progress.

The three hour flight that followed was brutal, as was every minute in the cab to the hotel; all the while this monstrosity crowning from my rear as I pushed back against the pain with all my force.  It was like whack-a-mole with one of the targets just peeking out from the depths.

I arrived at the hotel roadworn and aching and thought "well, surely now." And as I sat there in pain, writhing, trying to push the Rock of Gibraltar from my sphincter, I spent time Googling my problem (in Incognito mode) to try and distract myself. The horrors I read therein did nothing to assuage my concern.  I was able to break off what I would estimate was the peak of the mountain, but it wasn't anything in comparison to what lied beneath (or, as it was, above)  

I proceeded to map my way from the hotel to a local pharmacy. 0.6 miles. Normally a cake walk, but on this particular day, this my Via Dolorosa, made worse by -- and don't ask me why I did this -- the fact that I didn't put my socks back on before putting on my dress shoes.  I was in a bit of a state of panic, and it just didn't occur to me this would present any issue.

I struggled to make it there, but all the pain overwhelmed any embarrassment I would otherwise have experienced in bringing the extra large Fleet Enema box to the front counter.  

As I exited the Walgreen's, the urgency grew, I was in great discomfort, now compounded by the skin that my shoes were scraping from the backs of my bloodied ankles. In desperation, I hailed for an Uber. After a dance trying to locate him, he sped me the several blocks back to my hotel. I limped up to my room, and went inside. I laid myself on the cold hard bathroom floor, and administered.  The pain remained great, but the feeling of relief was incredible. The industrial strength flush mechanism struggled with the first and most solid load (which I could not see below the murky surface, but I imagine it to be a black softball), but made quicker work of subsequent drops. 

I went to bed that night with a chapped, bloodied, stinging rear. I feared the damage could be irreversible.  I'll never fully understand what it's like to be a woman, but I always in part thought of my ####### as my own private treasure, my jewel knot, to share or not share with the world as I chose.  I felt violated and battered.  I barely slept, awoke with discomfort every two hours on the nose. I rose in the morning wondering if I'd be able to comfortably occupy a chair for my day's work. 

Now over a day later, somehow, that magic muscle has seemingly healed itself. The backs of my ankles now hurt more than anything else. And I hope to sleep peacefully tonight and awake to normal bowel action in the morning. 

My lesson?  No more Kit Kats.  

Last edited by a moderator:
My Kit Kat led to a series of events that will keep me forever committed to the keto diet (the two may or may not have a causal relationship, but regardless, like Pavlov's dog the experience is firmly imprinted in my mind). 

I went off the keto diet with a planned cheat with my beautiful wife at a local Italian restaurant we had wanted to try. We ate to our delight; the next day had a family barbecue and  devoured every carb in sight. I even enjoyed a Kit Kat. But an odd thing happened. Despite these carb-rich eating and drinking binges, for several days I did not poop. 

Then comes the next day. I wake up that morning unsettled by it.  I spend an hour pushing on the boulder, putting all my weight into it like I'm trying to nudge it down a hill. Nothing. I head to work and -- sweating, exhausted -- try the same exercise several times more. To no avail. Unfortunately I then I have to board a flight to Minneapolis. The urge becomes brutal at the poorly air-conditioned airport, and there I sit sweating profusely in the midst of a heat wave in junior varsity air conditioning in a state for which I only have one point of comparison, which is the three times I watched in horror as my wife pushed small people out of her uterus.  No progress.

The three hour flight that followed was brutal, as was every minute in the cab to the hotel; all the while this monstrosity crowning from my rear as I pushed back against the pain with all my force.  It was like whack-a-mole with one of the targets just peeking out from the depths.

I arrived at the hotel roadworn and aching and thought "well, surely now." And as I sat there in pain, writhing, trying to push the Rock of Gibraltar from my sphincter, I spent time Googling my problem (in Incognito mode) to try and distract myself. The horrors I read therein did nothing to assuage my concern.  I was able to break off what I would estimate was the peak of the mountain, but it wasn't anything in comparison to what lied beneath (or, as it was, above)  

I proceeded to map my way from the hotel to a local pharmacy. 0.6 miles. Normally a cake walk, but on this particular day, this my Via Dolorosa, made worse by -- and don't ask me why I did this -- the fact that I didn't put my socks back on before putting on my dress shoes.  I was in a bit of a state of panic, and it just didn't occur to me this would present any issue.

I struggled to make it there, but all the pain overwhelmed any embarrassment I would otherwise have experienced in bringing the extra large Fleet Enema box to the front counter.  

As I exited the Walgreen's, the urgency grew, I was in great discomfort, now compounded by the skin that my shoes were scraping from the backs of my bloodied ankles. In desperation, I hailed for an Uber. After a dance trying to locate him, he sped me the several blocks back to my hotel. I limped up to my room, and went inside. I laid myself on the cold hard bathroom floor, and administered.  The pain remained great, but the feeling of relief was incredible. The industrial strength flush mechanism struggled with the first and most solid load (which I could not see below the murky surface, but I imagine it to be a black softball), but made quicker work of subsequent drops. 

I went to bed that night with a chapped, bloodied, stinging rear. I feared the damage could be irreversible.  I'll never fully understand what it's like to be a woman, but I always in part thought of my ####### as my own private treasure, my jewel knot, to share or not share with the world as I chose.  I felt violated and battered.  I barely slept, awoke with discomfort every two hours on the nose. I rose in the morning wondering if I'd be able to comfortably occupy a chair for my day's work. 

Now over a day later, somehow, that magic muscle has seemingly healed itself. The backs of my ankles now hurt more than anything else. And I hope to sleep peacefully tonight and awake to normal bowel action in the morning. 

My lesson?  No more Kit Kats.  
Step 1. Publish this story with a bunch of pie charts and graphs and call it "the Negative Feedback Loop Eating Plan.

2. Convince movie starlets and models that associating poor eating habits with being anally violated will curb poor eating habits.

3. Patent the technique, and offer my services as a lifestyle coach.

4. Sell the training methods and start franchises.

5. ???

6. Profit

7. Die, under bizarre circumstances, alone and unloved.like Bob Crane.

8. Decide if it was worth it. 

9. Yes. It was definitely worth it.

I'm loving the baked cheese chips as a snack.  I make a small batch of them almost every night.  I tried putting some seasoning on them once, but I couldn't notice a different in taste, so I haven't bothered since.

Normally I do a pile of shredded cheddar (purchased in bulk at Sams Club).  I once tried some pre sliced provalone.  That was good too but it cooked a lot quicker, so it burned.  I'll definitely have to get some more different variety of cheeses, but these are money.  Anyone ever try this with blue cheese?  I'm thinking maybe put some blue cheese crumbles in with another more mild cheese.

Piggybacking on Otis' story of anal rupture...

I went to my nephew's high school graduation a couple of weeks ago. We were staying at my in-laws house. I did my best to stay keto throughout the weekend, but my MIL made a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies. And I am so worthless and weak when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. Nevertheless, I spend the weekend consuming as many as I can get my hands on.

We pack up and prepare to head back home, and I stop to relieve myself before our departure. And much like Otis' description, I literally tear myself a new #######. Major constipation had caused such a bolus of compacted fecal material, that I ripped myself a fissure. Blood covered the paper. And the following day, another experience re-opened the wound to the point that blood was dripping onto the fecalberg floating in the bowl below.

After much research (also in incognito mode), it was obvious and imperative that I eliminate the pressure of expanding the exhaust tube which then results in re-opening up the wound each time. Normally I would add  psyllium husk bulking fiber to my diet simply for ease and regularity. But these bulking fibers still cause the aperture to expand too much. As a gastroenterological PSA note... there is another laxative that is designed to alleviate this very predicament... MiriLax my friends. Although I have come to call it MiracLax... because it is an absolute miracle. Basically this is a stool softening laxative that brings water into (and retains water in) the colon, and thus softening the stool before excretion. The waste comes out like toothpaste from its tube. No pressure on the sphincter whatsoever. The relief from the tearing of the mucosal lining of the ######/rectum is magical. No more cramping of the anal/rectal muscles. No more pain. And it allows time for the wound to properly heal. I am aware however, that I will be forever prone to re-tears for the rest of my life. Yippee!!!

I have had back-to-back weekends of cheating on my keto diet. It is clear that I have an addiction to carbs, and I am suffering relapses. This new thread has renewed my keto experiment and desire to stay clean. I am back on the keto train. Hope this is helpful for anyone else who encounters a similar ride.

Are keto sticks beneficial?  I am curious to see how long it takes to get back into keto after a carb incident, but not sure a color range is going to give me enough info. The blood tests seem a bit pricy. 

Binky The Doormat said:
Diabetic here.  Yeah, I kind of do if I want to keep the sugars away.  
IF your diabetes is b/c of being overweight, MAYBE once all this keto awesomeness gets you ripped again, you can go back to enjoying the pastas and the breads.   

Are keto sticks beneficial?  I am curious to see how long it takes to get back into keto after a carb incident, but not sure a color range is going to give me enough info. The blood tests seem a bit pricy. 
I think @culdeus had opinions on this
General consensus in the keto community is that they are useless for monitoring nutritional ketosis.  While they do measure excess ketones in your urine, even a carbed up blotis could register on the ketostix after fasting for 12 hours or so.  Don't waste your time, money, or anxiety.

Think I may have misinterpreted 'keeping the wazoo out of the thread'. 7 or 8 weeks in, I think. I was actually looking at the old thread to see when I first posted to figure out how long it's been, clicked out, then poof! it was gone. However long it's been, down 25 lbs and not really missing large quantities of carbs much at all. I've had two full on cheat days, gained 1-3 pounds after each, then got right back into it. I will make damn sure to avoid freaking Kit Kats if I do have another cheat day, and probably for the rest of my life now. I'm good with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread