What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

I think if you revert to eating full carbs you just need to plan to carry around extra water weight. I'll defer to others for confirmation, but I believe that once you reach your goal weight you would ideally try to stay between 50-100g of carbs anyway to prevent gaining all of the weight back, and this would also help prevent storing all the water weight as well.
This. You can also try IF type plans.  Those are often maintenance for keto.

I think if you revert to eating full carbs you just need to plan to carry around extra water weight. I'll defer to others for confirmation, but I believe that once you reach your goal weight you would ideally try to stay between 50-100g of carbs anyway to prevent gaining all of the weight back, and this would also help prevent storing all the water weight as well.
Keeping under 100g of carbs a day doesn't seem too restricting now that I know more about watching out for them. I was always pretty low-carb anyway as far as bread/pasta/processed foods go, but I think making a few changes, like switching from PBR (13g) to Miller LIte (3g) could make a big difference for me moving forward.

I'm planning to pick up some Smirnoff Spiked Seltzer today. Only 1g per can. Super pumped!  :thumbup:   Even though Im pretty sure it will suck. 

So we just got back from our mini-vacation. When we left Saturday morning, I weighed 230.4lbs. While away, I ate whatever I wanted. We had mexican one night, with tortilla chips galore, chicken and dumplings, desserts, bagels, english muffins, french fries, and whatever else. This morning I definitely noticed that my face was more puffy looking. When we got home, first thing I did was step on the scale. I was thinking 234.5-235. Try 238.8. Holy crap! I'm not upset or anything because I know it's all water, but my god...

FWIW, the only thing that I really enjoyed reuniting with was the Mexican food, especially the chips and salsa. The other crap I can comfortably leave behind.
Back down to 231. Been peeing like a racehorse, and just gave it all back.

I've always got into ketosis fast by fasting then near zero carb. It just takes a couple three days. I've read a bit about just cutting carbs below 50g and maybe taking three weeks to transition to ketosis. So I've been doing that now for almost two months and if I'm ketogenic, I'm not noticing it. I'm down about 10 pounds. I feel like I've been overeating, so maybe? Pee strips? Bah. I'm fasting this weekend. 

Sushi with cauliflower as rice and cream cheese to bind it.  Rolled in Nori with garlic shrimp, avocado, and cucumber.  And instead of wasabi, Sriracha mayo ❤
Hell yeah. Last year in one of these threads I wrote about a sushi chef friend doing rolls this way for me and tonight I ordered take out from a local place that does the same. Losing rice is only a big deal if it means losing sushi. Wasabi!!

Thanks for the recipes, but I'm still struggling to get started.  Wife and I both work and with three kids finding something everyone likes that is simple/quick is proving difficult.

Haha, no, there's no carbs in hard liquor. Drink up! You can't have beer but you can have a shot whenever. 

The only twists: once you're in ketosis, liquor will hit you much quicker. Your tolerance will go way down and you'll be buzzing faster. Second, your body will burn booze before fat, so, you won't lose weight while you're drinking. But you won't throw off your ketosis either. 
You had me at no.

Thanks for the recipes, but I'm still struggling to get started.  Wife and I both work and with three kids finding something everyone likes that is simple/quick is proving difficult.
No doubt food preparation is a major challenge. Keto-lifestyle is not convenient. Combine that with the likelihood of flu like symptoms while realizing you can't use the aisles at the market or the drive-thrus like you're used to and this isn't easy. I had to divorce myself from my family's eating habits back when the house was full. I'm such a broken record but fasting to jump start ketosis is helpful for a planning stage for stocking a keto food supply and eating plan. I doubt putting kids on an adult weight loss oriented keto regimen is wise. They're going to cheat and the combo of keto foods and standard snack carbs is probably less healthy than the standard American junk diet they're accustomed to. All that fat on a keto diet is fine if you're in ketosis or calorie restricted, not so much otherwise. Anyway, good luck.

Haha, no, there's no carbs in hard liquor. Drink up! You can't have beer but you can have a shot whenever. 

The only twists: once you're in ketosis, liquor will hit you much quicker. Your tolerance will go way down and you'll be buzzing faster. Second, your body will burn booze before fat, so, you won't lose weight while you're drinking. But you won't throw off your ketosis either. 
And hangovers are far worse imo.

Lost 2 more lbs this week. :D   3 weeks in, 1 to go. My wife told me she noticed a difference, but she's paid to say that. Pants are feeling a bit looser though.  :thumbup:   

3/19 - 185lbs

3/26 - 182lbs

4/2   - 179lbs

4/9  - 177lbs

Tried a few of those Truly alcoholic drinks this weekend. 2g carbs each. Not great, but not horrible either (better than bourbon and seltzer, ack :X ). I think I just like the act of cracking open a can and drinking from it.  :banned:

Rather than trying a bunch of different recipes to get started, I think its easier to find a handful of go-to low/zero carb snacks/meals that you really like and sticking to them until you figure things out. One of the really successful guys here (Craig in Miami, I think?) said he basically ate the same 3 things for months. 

eta - I wouldnt bother trying to get your kids on this diet. That doesnt seem realistic unless they REALLY want to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rather than trying a bunch of different recipes to get started, I think its easier to find a handful of go-to low/zero carb snacks/meals that you really like and sticking to them until you figure things out. One of the really successful guys here (Craig in Miami, I think?) said he basically ate the same 3 things for months. 

eta - I wouldnt bother trying to get your kids on this diet. That doesnt seem realistic unless they REALLY want to do it.
Agree with this on both counts.  My wife first was trying four different recipes a week.  Most were hits, but some were misses.  I'd have a bad meal, and think "why aren't we having that great thing we just had last week?" But she has an issue of organization and has a million items on her list of what to make/try and doesn't organize it well.  I'd rather try one new thing a week and the rest be stuff I know I like, even it if is repetitive.

Also agree not to have the kids do this.  My kids have no issues with weight, and need to gain more actually.  I don't want to limit what they are eating (they will eat less if they don't like something) so for them it is worth the effort of making two sides, or whatever, to make sure they eat.  I also don't like the idea of getting kids stared with issues with food at an early stage.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not trying to get my kids on the diet. It just wanted some ideas that would reduce the number of meals being prepared.

I do like the idea of finding some core recipes.  Started Saturday and I feel awful.  Having some cravings right now for anything sweet.  Need to get some low carb snacks

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not trying to get my kids on the diet. It just wanted some ideas that would reduce the number of meals being prepared.

I do like the idea of finding some core recipes.  Started Saturday and I feel awful.  Having some cravings right now for anything sweet.  Need to get some low carb snacks
For a sweet snack, I've been sweetening greek yogurt with stevia and vanilla extract then loading it with pecans or walnuts. It's an ice cream substitute that also satisfies the crunch urge. For salty I've been having cheeses with salted roasted seeds, sunflower and pumpkin, though nuts would work to. Cashews, peanuts and pistachios are higher in carbs. Macadamias are low but expensive. 

Atkins bars are convenient and work in a pinch. If you eat a few at a time they can cause gas and poo problems for some, but slowly eating one is a good fix.

206 this morning. 7 or more to go then calorie restricted maintenance because I will restore glycogen. I had less than 200 calories all weeekend. Ketosis achieved. 

Started in on this today and I think I am going to show some success.  I've tried to start things in the past and the day I plan to start, I always wake up and think "damn it"

Today I woke up and my first thought was "I can do this", so hopefully that's a good sign.

Starting at 257.  Goal is to get down to 200 and maintain there.  Finding inspiration from people in here should help.  Thanks to all who shared their successes and pitfalls.

Started in on this today and I think I am going to show some success.  I've tried to start things in the past and the day I plan to start, I always wake up and think "damn it"

Today I woke up and my first thought was "I can do this", so hopefully that's a good sign.

Starting at 257.  Goal is to get down to 200 and maintain there.  Finding inspiration from people in here should help.  Thanks to all who shared their successes and pitfalls.
Good luck. This diet/lifestyle launches like no other. A big water drop that sheds pounds very fast. Awesome. Possible flu-like illness. Sucks. Cravings for carby foods like you're kicking drugs. Big challenge.

Good luck. This diet/lifestyle launches like no other. A big water drop that sheds pounds very fast. Awesome. Possible flu-like illness. Sucks. Cravings for carby foods like you're kicking drugs. Big challenge.
Yeah.  Day 2 and 3 have been my major pitfalls in the past (atkins or south beach type) so WHEN I get through those, I hope to see improvement from there.  I was reading the Keto writeup from page one (Keerock?)  Says one way to combat the keto flu is to drink broth.  I just happen to work in a manufacturing plant where one of our products is broth, both beef and chicken, so that's the good news.  The bad news is I have to remember to bring a can opener to work tomorrow.  Do vitamins or supplements help?  Any good ones?

The cravings are my hardest part.  There is no denying that I am an addict, and my drug of choice is sugar.  I have read through this entire thread and I know there was someone in here who fessed up to the same.  Talked about eating ridiculous amounts of sugar and sweets.  I have bought a box of Klondyke bars (that's six in a box) and eaten them all in the same day.  I wish I could say that was the only sugar and sweets I had that day, but that would be a lie.  Its a neverending cycle of eating more and more sugar and I need to put a stop to that before I end up 3 bills.  Cut that piece of cake just a little bigger each time.  Have just one more cookie.  Even my vegetable choices were the wrong choice.  Carrots, corn, and peas were the staple of my dinners. 

Well, you all get the point.  I knew I was an addict when I started lying about how much sugar I had eaten, or finding a private place to eat sweets so that people wouldn't see just how much junk I was eating.  "hey, look at the fat guy chowing down on 3 candy bars... no wonder he's fat"  I guess I was ok with being fat as long as other people didn't see why(like it was a real mystery).  I don't want to see the pig get killed, I just want the bacon. 

Black coffee for breakfast, Salmon and broccoli for lunch, almonds for snack, costco chicken leg quarters and celery for dinner, some costco parm snacks for snack later if I need them.  Still a pretty big calorie deficit according to Myfitnesspal, but I'm not sure how much to trust those inputted foods yet, but I pretty much hit my carb and protein goal, so there's that.

Black coffee for breakfast, Salmon and broccoli for lunch, almonds for snack, costco chicken leg quarters and celery for dinner, some costco parm snacks for snack later if I need them.  
Honestly, you're going to want to integrate more fat, which should be good news. Remember it's high fat, moderate protein, low carb. Unless you left some stuff out, you're probably not getting enough fat from the salmon, almonds and parm crisps. 

You could make your coffee bulletproof., or try adding some cheese to the broccoli. The fat will help keep you satisfied, and you can still meet your calorie goals.

Two eggs for breakfast and coffee

KFC three piece grilled chicken with green beans and coleslaw for lunch

Rotisserie chicken and pomegranate salad for dinner

I'm going to need a late snack.

And Tylenol as I feel like crap.

I cook them pasta and steam a bag of veggies for me. We share the sauce.  Cauliflower Alfredo is yummy. 

Honestly, you're going to want to integrate more fat, which should be good news. Remember it's high fat, moderate protein, low carb. Unless you left some stuff out, you're probably not getting enough fat from the salmon, almonds and parm crisps. 

You could make your coffee bulletproof., or try adding some cheese to the broccoli. The fat will help keep you satisfied, and you can still meet your calorie goals.
:goodposting:  This is hard to get used to. It goes against everything I've ever believed, but you can, and should, indulge in the fats.

There is no denying that I am an addict, and my drug of choice is sugar. 
The good news is that you will likely see dramatic results simply by cutting sugar from your diet. The bad news is that it will be hard AF. Find a carb-friendly sweet snack that you like and can easily count. I keep a stash of chocolate chip cookie dough fat bombs. At 2g each, you could have one after lunch and dinner. They're very indulgent. I also find a glass of unsweetened vanilla almond milk tastes good when other low-carb options dont. Good luck. Stick to it. The first week is the hardest.

Yeah.  Day 2 and 3 have been my major pitfalls in the past (atkins or south beach type) so WHEN I get through those, I hope to see improvement from there.  I was reading the Keto writeup from page one (Keerock?)  Says one way to combat the keto flu is to drink broth.  I just happen to work in a manufacturing plant where one of our products is broth, both beef and chicken, so that's the good news.  The bad news is I have to remember to bring a can opener to work tomorrow.  Do vitamins or supplements help?  Any good ones?

The cravings are my hardest part.  There is no denying that I am an addict, and my drug of choice is sugar.  I have read through this entire thread and I know there was someone in here who fessed up to the same.  Talked about eating ridiculous amounts of sugar and sweets.  I have bought a box of Klondyke bars (that's six in a box) and eaten them all in the same day.  I wish I could say that was the only sugar and sweets I had that day, but that would be a lie.  Its a neverending cycle of eating more and more sugar and I need to put a stop to that before I end up 3 bills.  Cut that piece of cake just a little bigger each time.  Have just one more cookie.  Even my vegetable choices were the wrong choice.  Carrots, corn, and peas were the staple of my dinners. 

Well, you all get the point.  I knew I was an addict when I started lying about how much sugar I had eaten, or finding a private place to eat sweets so that people wouldn't see just how much junk I was eating.  "hey, look at the fat guy chowing down on 3 candy bars... no wonder he's fat"  I guess I was ok with being fat as long as other people didn't see why(like it was a real mystery).  I don't want to see the pig get killed, I just want the bacon. 

Black coffee for breakfast, Salmon and broccoli for lunch, almonds for snack, costco chicken leg quarters and celery for dinner, some costco parm snacks for snack later if I need them.  Still a pretty big calorie deficit according to Myfitnesspal, but I'm not sure how much to trust those inputted foods yet, but I pretty much hit my carb and protein goal, so there's that.

tbh, you may just need to slow play the keto thing.  If you were truly eating all that much sugar going strict keto will have a much more difficult on-ramp period and you may find that doing something like 30 days of basically no added sugar and just eat normally will work for you.

There's enough anecdotal evidence out there to suggest that the difficulty people find in going keto is a function of both total carbs and High-GI carbs as a portion of their previous diet.  And honestly, I wouldn't doubt muscle mass plays a role here.  

I still have a splash of hazlenut cream in my coffee and I still have dark cocoa square at night.

Usually after about a week in I have to remind my self to eat.  

Elecoltrolytes will help the early (and later stages). Plenty of them. There are waters out there that contain magnesium and potassium. 

These 2 and salt are the most important things for you to be getting during keto, especially week 1.

Use Himalayan pink salt. Put a #### ton of it in and on everything

Magnesium, potassium and salt... You'll feel a million times better 

Tecumseh said:

I tried the bulletproof coffee several years ago.  Did that for about a week.  I found it to be quite revolting, personally.  I just drink it black now and it took a little bit to get me to stop with cream and/or sugar.

More fat is something that is going to be the hardest part for me.  I am struggling with this today as well.  I easily hit my protein goal (actually was a little over but still in range) and  23g of net carbs, but I'm 30g shy of the fat goal. 

I think this week is about making sure I stick to the overall plan and try to hone the macros next week.  Keeping the carbs under 25 net and the protein below 160g this week should be a win.  I will need to incorporate some higher fat meat choices because I don't want to go overboard on the dairy.  Its really those trace carbs that are adding up so fast.  Can a couple Tbsp of Ranch dressing really screw me up?  Its got 2g carbs and 14g fat, so that seems like a decent trade off in moderation. (we also make that here using soybean oil)

What else can I do for more fat?  Cheese adds protein and I am already over.  I could add a few pads of butter on top of the pork loin I will have for dinner?

BTW, on day two, I feel pretty damn good.  Had a little headache this morning, but its gone away for now. 

You can go back to some heavy cream in your coffee. The butter on your pork loin is also a good idea. How do you feel about avocado? Lots of healthy fat and fiber. 

In your case, I don't know that I would recommend fat bombs, simply because they mimic sweets, which is what seems to be the original problem, but then again, maybe that's the way to go so your cravings don't break your stride. Again, I'll defer to Culdeus or Bender on that one.

You can go back to some heavy cream in your coffee. The butter on your pork loin is also a good idea. How do you feel about avocado? Lots of healthy fat and fiber. 

In your case, I don't know that I would recommend fat bombs, simply because they mimic sweets, which is what seems to be the original problem, but then again, maybe that's the way to go so your cravings don't break your stride. Again, I'll defer to Culdeus or Bender on that one.
I forgot to mention that I don't like avocado.  I really want to, but I just can't do it.  I have heard there are recipes that use them but mask the flavor and texture a bit.  I might be able to track something like that down, but I'm sure it would mess with the other macros by doing so.

I agree with you for now.  I am pretty committed to my success this time, so I don't want to sabotage it with trying to "indulge" cravings.  I looked at the cookie dough fat bomb recipe, and my problem is, I don't know that I would be able to stop at one.  When I have them I'm gonna fight through the cravings and use this board for support/conscience. 

Thanks for sharing that. This is a great reminder to me of why I have made this change. You and I are one in the same. Eat a little sugar eat all the sugar. Good luck on your journey. Keep it simple.

Started September 4, 2017

Starting weight: 255

Current weight:198  (Bouncing between 198-201)

Goal weight 186

I forgot to mention that I don't like avocado.  I really want to, but I just can't do it.  I have heard there are recipes that use them but mask the flavor and texture a bit.  I might be able to track something like that down, but I'm sure it would mess with the other macros by doing so.

I agree with you for now.  I am pretty committed to my success this time, so I don't want to sabotage it with trying to "indulge" cravings.  I looked at the cookie dough fat bomb recipe, and my problem is, I don't know that I would be able to stop at one.  When I have them I'm gonna fight through the cravings and use this board for support/conscience. 
Everyone is different, but the fat bombs helped me when I first started.  I'm currently not able to stay on track because of all of the damn Easter candy in the house, so I may make another batch.

I find them to be good, but more rich than sweet so I don't feel tempted to pound them.  I may grab one, and then go get a second, but I've never downed a whole batch (I'm not referring to the ones posted above, but a cream cheese/dark chocolate bomb posted elsewhere).

Never made or had a fat bomb. I wouldn't bother if you want to do this long term. 

I keep one Lily's Dark chocolate bar (4 net carbs for the whole thing, sweetened with the best of the artificial sweeteners erythritol) on my kitchen island and it lasts a month. 

Just a square or two after dinner once a week and I'm good. 

Those fat bombs will just make you crave more stuff you can't eat IMO (and ya, like Bull side above, you're mileage may vary on how you handle them) 

Above all, just do what works for you. 

I tried the bulletproof coffee several years ago.  Did that for about a week.  I found it to be quite revolting, personally.  I just drink it black now and it took a little bit to get me to stop with cream and/or sugar.

More fat is something that is going to be the hardest part for me.  I am struggling with this today as well.  I easily hit my protein goal (actually was a little over but still in range) and  23g of net carbs, but I'm 30g shy of the fat goal. 

I think this week is about making sure I stick to the overall plan and try to hone the macros next week.  Keeping the carbs under 25 net and the protein below 160g this week should be a win.  I will need to incorporate some higher fat meat choices because I don't want to go overboard on the dairy.  Its really those trace carbs that are adding up so fast.  Can a couple Tbsp of Ranch dressing really screw me up?  Its got 2g carbs and 14g fat, so that seems like a decent trade off in moderation. (we also make that here using soybean oil)

What else can I do for more fat?  Cheese adds protein and I am already over.  I could add a few pads of butter on top of the pork loin I will have for dinner?

BTW, on day two, I feel pretty damn good.  Had a little headache this morning, but its gone away for now. 
Do you like coconut? One table spoon of coconut oil goes in my coffee every morning (get the real stuff, not the extra virgin stuff) 

Can i make one more unsolicited suggestion? Forget about macros and numbers for the first 2 weeks. 

Just count 20 net carbs a day. Forget everything else. Get through the 2 weeks doing that then if you want to start driving yourself crazy w macro tracking, go for it. 

Jumped back on Keto and using Intermittent fasting, basically waiting until after work to eat.   Only been going since Monday.  Goal is to be under 190 in two months.  Weighing in at 211.2 today.  

eoMMan said:
Any good books or free PDFs on starting keto that anyone recommends?
I read the Keto Reset Diet by Mark Sisson and Brad Kearns when I first started.  They have a 2-week basically pre-keto program, and some "tests" to determine if you're ready for full keto which would probably be good for people who eat a ton of carbs/sugar.  I was already relatively low carb so I just skipped that and jumped right in.  Some good stuff in the book, though.

Podcast that covers chapter 1

Podcast interview of Sisson by Ben Greenfield that focuses on the book

Starting day 4.  its been easy for me so far, and no flu or any other issues, either.  I would be worried I was doing something wrong if I wasn't sticking to the plan so well.  Today could be a little challenge.  I ate breakfast early and it was high calorie/high fat which is going to limit my options later in the day if I do start to get some hunger, but I will take JB's advice and not worry as much about the macros if it comes to that.  Fat will not be a problem today.  The weekend will be my biggest challenge, but I've got a good start.  

Thanks for sharing that. This is a great reminder to me of why I have made this change. You and I are one in the same. Eat a little sugar eat all the sugar. Good luck on your journey. Keep it simple.

Started September 4, 2017

Starting weight: 255

Current weight:198  (Bouncing between 198-201)

Goal weight 186
Out of curiosity, did you have cheat meals or days?  I have an event May 7th and its going to be virtually impossible to stick with it.  Its an all day event for work from 8AM until 10PM.

I also have a vacation at the end of May which I think I can stick pretty good to the plan, but there is one event on May 27 that I think I will not be on plan.  

I'm not talking about splurging on refined sugar, but I'm sure there will be a little bit and definitely some complex carbs.  

How easy is it to jump right back into it?  My biggest fear is that one day will lead to two, will lead to seven, and the next thing I know, I'm back to where I started.  

How did you handle this?  (all comments welcome, but really hoping Pack will weigh in since he seems to have the same sugar issues I have)

once my sweet cravings stopped its way easier.   I still "indulge" in a square of dark cocoa or and atkins chocolate square, sometimes a splash of flavored creamer in my coffee - on occasion.  That seems to stop the sugar monster

Ive lost zero weight in April

Is that it. Has my body decided I dont need to lose any more. This is annoying. I knew it would happen but figured sometime within 11 days I would lose something

Users who are viewing this thread