What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (5 Viewers)

I started Keto 12 days ago and am generally feeling pretty good.  Down from 189 to 182, which has been awesome.  I'd love to get to 175, which would be as low as I've been in 20+ years. Some added background for what's to follow...I've been trying to stick to intermittent fasting from 8pm - noon.  I'd say I've accomplished that ~8-9 out of the 12 days.  I've done a pretty good job overall, with 2-3 days where I definitely slipped up but not to the point of going completely bonkers on carbs either.  I know slip ups aren't ideal as you want to get into ketosis and stay there, but I'm also trying to be realistic about what my mind and body can handle at the beginning too.

My question for those that have done this is just a general "how did you feel the first X weeks while starting out?"  Like I said, I feel pretty good.  I don't have the energy ebbs and flows throughout the day or feel the need to get a mid afternoon snack or soda due to those carb dependencies.  That said, I'm somewhat surprised that:

1. I can crash at 8pm while getting our kids to bed and wake up at 6am not feeling well rested.  Really struggling with energy as I hit anything beyond 9pm.
  2. My brain does feel a bit "foggy" at times.  Not sure how else to describe this. 
  3. Finally, heart rate.  My resting heart rate seems somewhat consistently to be about 5-10bpm higher than normal.  Chest feels a bit tighter than normal...like I'm anxious or something.  And I've exercised a couple times in the past few days (one of which I'll disregard because it was in 100 degree heat) with my heart rate going completely bonkers on a 7 mile run where it historically would not have been.  Normal?  My assumption is that as soon as my heart rate exceeded the aerobic threshold into anaerobic range, that my body didn't have the instant fuel that it normally does to burn and was thus working that much harder to maintain that "normal" run?  Do I just need to do everything I can to exercise in the aerobic range for a certain period of time?  Is my body missing some nutrients that are beneficial in this regard?  Do I need to consume electrolytes (typically use Tailwind) during a normal day, even when not exercising?  
Any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.  Love the direction this is trending, just also want to be able to go on long runs without feeling like my heart is going to explode out of my chest. 

@SFBayDuck - Threw this in this thread, but do you have any knowledge to drop?!  Concerned about this 3 month training block and questioning if now is a bad time to give Keto a full on go.      

I started Keto 12 days ago and am generally feeling pretty good.  Down from 189 to 182, which has been awesome.  I'd love to get to 175, which would be as low as I've been in 20+ years. Some added background for what's to follow...I've been trying to stick to intermittent fasting from 8pm - noon.  I'd say I've accomplished that ~8-9 out of the 12 days.  I've done a pretty good job overall, with 2-3 days where I definitely slipped up but not to the point of going completely bonkers on carbs either.  I know slip ups aren't ideal as you want to get into ketosis and stay there, but I'm also trying to be realistic about what my mind and body can handle at the beginning too.

My question for those that have done this is just a general "how did you feel the first X weeks while starting out?"  Like I said, I feel pretty good.  I don't have the energy ebbs and flows throughout the day or feel the need to get a mid afternoon snack or soda due to those carb dependencies.  That said, I'm somewhat surprised that:

1. I can crash at 8pm while getting our kids to bed and wake up at 6am not feeling well rested.  Really struggling with energy as I hit anything beyond 9pm.
  2. My brain does feel a bit "foggy" at times.  Not sure how else to describe this. 
  3. Finally, heart rate.  My resting heart rate seems somewhat consistently to be about 5-10bpm higher than normal.  Chest feels a bit tighter than normal...like I'm anxious or something.  And I've exercised a couple times in the past few days (one of which I'll disregard because it was in 100 degree heat) with my heart rate going completely bonkers on a 7 mile run where it historically would not have been.  Normal?  My assumption is that as soon as my heart rate exceeded the aerobic threshold into anaerobic range, that my body didn't have the instant fuel that it normally does to burn and was thus working that much harder to maintain that "normal" run?  Do I just need to do everything I can to exercise in the aerobic range for a certain period of time?  Is my body missing some nutrients that are beneficial in this regard?  Do I need to consume electrolytes (typically use Tailwind) during a normal day, even when not exercising?  
Any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.  Love the direction this is trending, just also want to be able to go on long runs without feeling like my heart is going to explode out of my chest. 

@SFBayDuck - Threw this in this thread, but do you have any knowledge to drop?!  Concerned about this 3 month training block and questioning if now is a bad time to give Keto a full on go.      
I'm no keto expert, and haven't come across the heart rate and chest things you're talking about personally or in my research.  I would say that you should absolutely include some electrolytes throughout the day, as was talked about a few days back in this thread.  That may help as it seems to with other more typical symptoms of "keto flu", like low energy and brain fog.

Big picture, I see two questions here:

1.  Are you really in ketosis at all?  Between, "2-3 days where I definitely slipped up" and using Tailwind during your runs, it sounds like you might not be.  I'd think that would play into how long it will take your body to adjust and could be a big part of the issues you're experiencing.

2.  Is strict keto the right approach for you right now?  After all for you the goal isn't ketosis, it's losing fat.  And keto is great for that, but in some ways it's like any other weight loss approach in that, especially early on, you're hyper-focused on what you are eating while at the same time being restrictive.  For most people that's just going to lead to reduced caloric intake.  Combine that with the unique aspects of keto (removing the carb/insulin surges that can signal your body to store fat while simultaneously "training" it to rely on fat) and the weight drops off quickly. 

So might something a little less strict but still low carb be a good approach for you as you're trying to lose weight while ramping up training?  I think IF can absolutely be a part of that, and as you know fasted aerobic runs are great training for ultras.  So I might think about timing your carbs strategically around your workouts, which is kind of where I've landed, or at least tried to.  I run fasted most days, just coffee before (although with your HR issue maybe try without that).  Before long (3+ hour) runs I'll eat a UCAN bar, as it's supposed to not spike insulin while still providing some carbs.  I will also take in some calories during the run, as once you're exercising your body doesn't have that same insulin response it does when you consume carbs at rest.  And I believe that effect carries on post-workout for awhile, so if I'm going to have a heavier carb meal I'll tend to do it within an hour or so after a run.  I should probably go back and read them again, but Zach Bitter has a great 4-part series on his blog on periodizing nutrition based on where you are in your training.  

All that being said if you really want to give keto a try then I'd suggest clamping down a bit to be really strict for another couple of weeks while adding in some electrolytes to see if that helps with some of the issues you have been having, and then re-evaluate where you are.  

Meanwhile, I've got another 10 lbs to lose myself in the next 2 months before AC100.  :porked: :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
5 or so lbs down this week somehow.  I'm not eating after 8 and not until noon the next day.  Wow - goodbye plateau.  

Now at my high school weight (I'm 35).

Ketofridge while very expensive, is still the most convenient option out there.

And for the Maryland/Virginia people out there, Mezeh is a Mediterranean chipotle type place and I eat there 4 times a week or so.  It never feels like a diet.  I get chicken on top of mixed greens topped with cucumber, cabbage, a small amount of beets, feta cheese, and harissa sauce.  Feels like it shouldn't be keto but it is.  

Today is June 1st, so starts my 90 day no red meat challenge.  This should be (not) fun. 

1. Finally, heart rate.  My resting heart rate seems somewhat consistently to be about 5-10bpm higher than normal.  Chest feels a bit tighter than normal...like I'm anxious or something.  And I've exercised a couple times in the past few days (one of which I'll disregard because it was in 100 degree heat) with my heart rate going completely bonkers on a 7 mile run where it historically would not have been.  Normal?  My assumption is that as soon as my heart rate exceeded the aerobic threshold into anaerobic range, that my body didn't have the instant fuel that it normally does to burn and was thus working that much harder to maintain that "normal" run?  Do I just need to do everything I can to exercise in the aerobic range for a certain period of time?  Is my body missing some nutrients that are beneficial in this regard?  Do I need to consume electrolytes (typically use Tailwind) during a normal day, even when not exercising?  
There's plenty of information online discussing keto and elevated heart rates. So it's sort of common, but when I read about chest tightness, I want to tell you to get checked. Electrolytes, selenium, mct/coconut oil, and particularly dehydration are indicated from various sources. If it persists, it isn't normal. So be smart. Carbs are not evil. 

Today is June 1st, so starts my 90 day no red meat challenge.  This should be (not) fun. 
I just had a short vacation where I ate like normal folks in Tahoe. Then on a three day backpack trip into the high Sierra I had lots of granola, dried fruits, carby energy bars, etc.  I'm far from ketosis and water fasting my way back this weekend. I'm not eating until a Sunday bbq. Then I'm going to join you in the no red meat challenge. So I guess I've already started. Should be interesting as I've already eliminated pork and eggs. Good luck.

Also, this (quit red meat thing) was a request from my college kid who will be home for the summer in a couple weeks.

Little slower month in May, but I experimented a bit with subbing in a low calorie diet without macros.  Still lost weight but a slower pace.  5 lbs down in May.  26 total since February.

The thing that seems to matter even more than keto for me is IF.  When I finish a full week 16/8 I haven't failed to lose a few pounds be it keto or calorie counting.  

Keto + IF seems the best combo for me, so back to it!

Little slower month in May, but I experimented a bit with subbing in a low calorie diet without macros.  Still lost weight but a slower pace.  5 lbs down in May.  26 total since February.

The thing that seems to matter even more than keto for me is IF.  When I finish a full week 16/8 I haven't failed to lose a few pounds be it keto or calorie counting.  

Keto + IF seems the best combo for me, so back to it!
I am hitting the Keto/IF hard on Monday. Using today and tomorrow to transition back to low carb, but I have a bunch of activities today and camping tonight. 

Key for me is to stay hydrated and not push back my eating window too late. If I can eat my first meal between noon and 2pm I am usually good to go. If I wait to eat that first meal to the 4pm range I make poor choices. 

Down from 215 to 189, but I got into the 180-185 range last fall consistently. Goal is 180 for July 2, and a push towards 175 by the end of July. 

Damn guys - I just made one of the best veggie recipes.  Best side dish I've ever had, keto or not.

Best done in a Le Creuset or oven safe dutch oven

Braised Red Cabbage

I put 1 teaspoon of ghee (you could use butter) in a pan and browned up 3 pieces of bacon (diced up).

Remove bacon.

Chop up thinly an entire red cabbage head, along with a very small amount of chopped onion and garlic.  Salt the #### out of it.

Sautee for like 10 mins until the cabbage wilts and onions get a little translucent.  Add the bacon back.

Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.

Throw the lid on and put it in the oven for an hour at 350.

It tasted like it was as sweet as glazed carrots or had sugar in it due to the cider vinegar and long braise.  I served it with some salmon crusted with parm cheese, garlic, lemon zest and parsley.

Try this - with any main dish you please, you won't be disappointed.  

Side note: went shopping today for the first time in 10 months on Keto.  I'm now wearing those shirts that used to annoy the #### out of me that say "Slim Fit" :thumbup:

Damn guys - I just made one of the best veggie recipes.  Best side dish I've ever had, keto or not.

Braised Red Cabbage

I put 1 teaspoon of ghee (you could use butter) in a pan and browned up 3 pieces of bacon (diced up).

Remove bacon.

Chop up thinly an entire red cabbage head, along with a very small amount of chopped onion and garlic.  Salt the #### out of it.

Sautee for like 10 mins until the cabbage wilts and onions get a little translucent.  Add the bacon back.

Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.

Throw the lid on and put it in the oven for an hour at 350.

It tasted like it was as sweet as glazed carrots or had sugar in it due to the cider vinegar and long braise.  I served it with some salmon crusted with parm cheese, garlic, lemon zest and parsley.

Try this - with any main dish you please, you won't be disappointed.  

Side note: went shopping today for the first time in 10 months on Keto.  I'm now wearing those shirts that used to annoy the #### out of me that say "Slim Fit" :thumbup:
Affliction?

Braised Red Cabbage

That sounds awesome but pork is red meat.

Smoked salmon is my go to bacon substitute in veggie dishes. It does the job for me.

That sounds awesome but pork is red meat.

Smoked salmon is my go to bacon substitute in veggie dishes. It does the job for me.
Seriously?  I grew up with the Pork: The Other White Meat slogan commercials.  I'll probably lay off pork if that's the case.  I don't eat much bacon anyway, usually use it as flavoring or addition to a vegetable in the form of lardons.  But that's news to me.  And that sucks.  Chicken and fish only for 90 days, while on Keto.  Yikes.

The issue with a lot of smoked salmon is that it's cured in brown sugar or honey or some kind of glaze.  

Affliction?
I laughed, but...you know what I'm talking about.  The polo shirts, Tommy Hilfiger, those kinds of brands that had your size and then it would be slim fit and you looked like 10 pounds of sausage in a 5 pound casing.  

Seriously?  I grew up with the Pork: The Other White Meat slogan commercials.  I'll probably lay off pork if that's the case.  I don't eat much bacon anyway, usually use it as flavoring or addition to a vegetable in the form of lardons.  But that's news to me.  And that sucks.  Chicken and fish only for 90 days, while on Keto.  Yikes.

The issue with a lot of smoked salmon is that it's cured in brown sugar or honey or some kind of glaze.  
Yeah, welcome to my world. Lots of higher quality smoked salmon is zero carb. Even the ones with a little sugar are very low carb. You don't seem worried about spending a little extra on your diet. Trader's has a sugar free choice. Scottish something or other.

I'm so fat i didnt even know "Keto" was short for Ketosis.

havent had but the very least of Sugar in 2 weeks other than my vodka Club sofa drinks.  Down 12 lbs in 14 days.

already determined I'm sticking with this for a while.

Been bouncing around a bit between the potato hack and calorie counting for a bit.  But really to start something serious, and keto feels like the way to go.

Learn me some more about this keto fridge.  Pretend I’m a guy who doesn’t care about spending money and will do what it takes for convenience and to make this work.

TIA

Started 9 months ago (September 4th)

Starting weight 260

Hovering between 192-198  (Have been under 200 for about 3 weeks!)

44-34 pants/jeans

2xl to large shirts (I still wear xl too)

186 is the goal

Unreal the power of food.

7 Night Western Caribbean cruise starts Sunday. Yikes

Started 9 months ago (September 4th)

Starting weight 260

Hovering between 192-198  (Have been under 200 for about 3 weeks!)

44-34 pants/jeans

2xl to large shirts (I still wear xl too)

186 is the goal

Unreal the power of food.

7 Night Western Caribbean cruise starts Sunday. Yikes
Favorite keto meals? 

How does your typical day look like in terms of food?

Usually no breakfast. Coffee/expresso with sweet and low (If I am looking for fat I will add heavy whipping creme) Wait until lunchtime to eat. Lunch will be some rotisserie chicken  or left over dinner meat and cheese sticks of some sort. Dinner I go a little heavier with meat. Steak, Pork chops, roasts, gyro... salad/spinach/broccoli  and nuts. Sunflower seeds, almonds and peanut butter dessert. Cashews are the devil, Stevia/Splenda makes me stall. Just had some parmesan crisps that I made. Diet Soda. Gave up IPA's. Will have an occasional Miller Lite

I like to keep it simple. Stay around 20 carbs a day, get enough calories, salt and supplements and I am good.

Also drink 80 proof liquor. Whisky, Bourbon (who knew) Gin and Vodka
Was just reading up on this.  I figured 2-3 vodka clubs would be a total no-no and was messing up my diet for sure, and I know there is an chemical component to this where alcohol isn't the best..... but 200ish calories for a OK buzz.

3/4 of a Gatorade or 3 semi stiff drinks and a buzz?  Kind of a easy choice here

Been bouncing around a bit between the potato hack and calorie counting for a bit.  But really to start something serious, and keto feels like the way to go.

Learn me some more about this keto fridge.  Pretend I’m a guy who doesn’t care about spending money and will do what it takes for convenience and to make this work.

TIA
Bender is the guy to talk to but I can tell you my first order just went through. Delivery next week of 9 meals for $140. You have to spend $70 a week for it to be worth their while or something. It's pretty simple. Go to the site. Every week they'll post a different menu. It isn't a huge menu so you'll double up a few meals. You have 3 hours as of this post to make an order for delivery next week. Thursday nights they shut it down for next week deliveries. 

I'm doing this for the convenience. My biggest issue with the current keto kick which is only a week old is that I don't feel like cooking or dirtying the kitchen. I'm fixing up a house to sell and really just want food put in front of me a couple times a day.

Mind expanding on what you normally do in this regard?
Not at all, I salt everything especially if I am feeling sluggish. I will take a bullion cube and make a broth. Never did the pink salt. I season my meats drink some broth. I take 2 fish oil, one vitamin D and a "One a Day"  mens health formula that has magnesium in it.

Was just reading up on this.  I figured 2-3 vodka clubs would be a total no-no and was messing up my diet for sure, and I know there is an chemical component to this where alcohol isn't the best..... but 200ish calories for a OK buzz.

3/4 of a Gatorade or 3 semi stiff drinks and a buzz?  Kind of a easy choice here
Vodka clubs are solid! I have been on a gin and diet tonic kick. My understanding is if alcohol is in the system fat burning will not take place. The liver will get rid of the "Poison" first then resume burning ketones. 

Congrats @pack100

I'm almost at that 200 lb level and although the scale means nothing, I cannot wait. So thats pretty cool to hear one of my brothers made it and it's actually a realistic goal. 

Almost month 11 on Keto.... And day 8 of no red meat far so good. 

I can't believe Stevia stalled you, it has almost zero glycemic impact. 

Do you ever do berries?  I was thinking off adding them soon when I got within 10 lb of my goal weight. 

Oh and this is a girly thing to say, but I think I mentioned I went clothes shopping for the first time in years last weekend. It was just TJ Maxx... You know how they have those racks of shirts on hangers and how cool it was to have a muuuuch wider selection sticking to the Large instead of being limited to XXL? 

JB, update me on your progress since you started 11 months ago?  Height/weight, and just generally how are you feeling?  And how difficult has it been?  I've tried keto a couple of times but it hasn't "stuck" for me.  That said, I also keep trying much more dramatic things, like the potato hack.  Seems to me something like keto is much likely to be successful for me long term.  Also it should suit my goals of continuing to maintain/build muscle while shedding say 25lbs of fat.

Motivate me, GB.

Congrats @pack100

I'm almost at that 200 lb level and although the scale means nothing, I cannot wait. So thats pretty cool to hear one of my brothers made it and it's actually a realistic goal. 

Do you ever do berries?  I was thinking off adding them soon when I got within 10 lb of my goal weight. 
I suspect Stevia/artificial sweeteners may be inhibiting me some as well. On Monday I'm going to try a week with no artificial sweeteners at all. That is going to suck, because I love me some diet coke, and I put stevia in my coffee, but I want to see if I have a big drop.

I suspect Stevia/artificial sweeteners may be inhibiting me some as well. On Monday I'm going to try a week with no artificial sweeteners at all. That is going to suck, because I love me some diet coke, and I put stevia in my coffee, but I want to see if I have a big drop.
Diet Coke is a huge no no for me, so you may absolutely be correct.  Once I quit Aspartame and other non-plant based sweeteners, things changed for the better.  I was a huge Fresca drinker - one or two a night with dinner.  My wife still drinks it, but I gave it up.

If you want to experiment, last page, I recommended Zevia soda.  Try that instead of the Diet COke.  It tastes like ### at first, but you get used to it.

I think the other person I was talking about Zevia with had the opposite opinions on flavors, but I really enjoy the Grape and Ginger Ale.  Those are my go-tos.

@Otis 

You asked for some guidance.  I do random musings in here all the time so I hope others don't :rolleyes:  with me repeating some things.  I'll try to keep it simple as possible for you.

• You asked about my starting weight vs now. It's hard to measure and I rarely quote my weight loss here because I started like 16 months ago, stopped for 3 months, then got back on again 10 months ago.  I also had weight loss due to diabetes (peeing out all the sugar because my body couldn't process it).  At my heaviest, a few years ago I was 285 lbs.  I'm only 5'10" - scary.  When I started Keto seriously and stuck to it, I was more like 260-268 range.  This morning I weighed in at 211 lbs.  So all told, I've lost close to 75 lbs. But during this run of serious Keto, I've lost 50+ lbs.  It's all not exact because I never weighed myself before (I didn't want to see the scale).  As I posted, I reversed the diabetes btw and no longer take any medication or have to do any monitoring.
  • It comes off fast at first and that's when the resolve has to kick in.  One month I only lost 4 or 5 lbs.  This month I've lost 7 and picked it back up again.
  • Dumbest advice here because you hear it all the time but once I stopped thinking about it being a diet and just changed the way I ate, it all clicked.

I try to keep to 20 carbs a day. My life is filled with things I can eat, and I've eliminated all things around that I can't eat.  SImple as that.  I highly suggest people do not drive yourself crazy counting every little macro.

[*]Once you get through a few weeks, cheat days never crossed my mind.  I've not cheated once.  I don't need to on this diet.  I've posted so many restaurant recommendations and delicious recipes that I've created or tested myself.  Why do I need to cheat with some crappy food when I can go eat a 12 ounce filet topped oscar style at a restaraunt with a side of sashimi?  There's just no need to.  Ketofridge.com has cookies and Keto ice cream.  It's all out there.

• Brief recap: Chipotle, 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, Jersey Mikes, Buffalo Wild Wings, Barbecue joints, Other fast casual places like Cava/Mezeh, etc.  There are so many convenience options.

[*]Start slow - maybe don't cut out Diet Sodas right away.  Maybe enjoy a few non-keto but low carb items.  You tend to dive right into diets militantly and it's probably what breaks you every time.

• If youre like me, after a few months you start cutting more and more of the ####.  No more nitrates, no more processed meats, organic spinach only, stevia only as a sweetener, no more diet soda, grass fed beef, grass fed butter.  Right now, im doing a 90 day no red meat challenge.
  • I'm not restricting myself from these things because I don't crave anything - at all. I eat for body fuel - my wife wants to kill me because I don't go out for ice cream and have to be picky wherever I eat.

[*]Don't have a cheat day. It just derails you IMO.  SOme people can handle them, you cannot, I know this.  We're very similar.  Birthday Cake at a child's party?  Too bad, suck it up and bust out one of Lidia's Chocolate Bars with Almonds.  

[*]Don't #### around with Reese's Peanut Butter cup "fat bombs" or similar indulgent recipes - if you can cut them after a few weeks into the diet, do it.  I did.  They just make me crave sweets more.

[*]Travelling for work?  So do I.  You can find eggs anywhere.  You can find steak anywhere.  You can peel off the bun at McDonalds.  You can get a sub in a tub at Jersey Mikes or an Unwich at Jimmy Johns.  I've been to Cuba, Scandinavia and South America on Keto.  It's no problem.

[*]Go find that meatballs recipe I posted.  They taste just like regular meatballs - hell they're better.  Chicken soup, chili, Butter Chicken.  Check out the Keto Connect youtube channel for recipes.  Those guys are the ####.  They also have a series where they eat Keto out at fast food places AND while travelling.

[*]Right now a typical day for me is skip breakfast if I'm fasting. Whole foods hot bar with baked chicken, some braised cabbage, a few fats like some goat cheese or something or an egg.  Dinner I make the #### out of fried "cauliflower" rice.  Mix with meat of choice, add a few veggies and soy sauce and you're done.  Takes 10 mins to make - steam in a bag Cauliflower rice.  On the weekends, I smoke ribs or brisket on my smoker with no sugar in my rubs.  This stuff is easy.

Lastly - just a general compendium of my recommended tools:

Youtube: Keto Connect (recipes, tips on eating out, huge community).  These guys have the best keto recipe around.  Their butter chicken is one of my favorite things.
Zevia: Zevia flavored soda - Ginger Ale and Grape are the best 2
Lily's Chocolate Bars - made without sugar, Dark Chocolate + Almond are amazing - I don't eat them often.  Maybe half a bar per week if I kinda want something sweet.  It's rare I do these days.
Ketofridge - expensive but high quality food, ice cream, cookies, milkshakes, cold brew coffees.  VERY convenient.
Ketobars.com - quick and easy Fat supplement that tastes like you're eating a desert.  Dark Chocolate + Coconut and Peanut Butter Chocolate are both fantastic.  I eat these as a snack all the time.  Only 3 grams of net carbs
reddit.com/r/ketorecipes - there's some fantastic looking #### on there
Flackers - basically compressed Flax seeds into a cracker, dip in one of those premade guacamole cups.  Easy. 
Steam in A Bag Cauliflower rice. I have a years supply stocked up in my fridge.

I don't know what else, ask me anything you'd like.  I can upload a few before/after pics later today.  Pretty good support group in this thread too, familiar faces, guys going through it with you, me lecturing people about cheating :hophead:  (half kidding there).  Friendly community w loads of support.

Congrats @pack100

Thanks have not been this low in "Weight" since high school. I am 47....To me it is the pants size that is amazing. 36's are dropping off me now and 2 months ago I was happy to get in them. 

I know! I have done the research on all the sweeteners. I have been a "sweet and Low" lover my whole life. I was losing weight great. My wife talked me in to trying the stevia naturals. Something a bit healthier for me. Stalled for a month. Figured that was the only change I made. Went back to sweet and low and I started to lose weight again. Who knows maybe a coincidence but as with anything do what works for you. Diet soda's have no effect on me that I can tell.

@Otis 

You asked for some guidance.  I do random musings in here all the time so I hope others don't :rolleyes:  with me repeating some things.  I'll try to keep it simple as possible for you.

• You asked about my starting weight vs now. It's hard to measure and I rarely quote my weight loss here because I started like 16 months ago, stopped for 3 months, then got back on again 10 months ago.  I also had weight loss due to diabetes (peeing out all the sugar because my body couldn't process it).  At my heaviest, a few years ago I was 285 lbs.  I'm only 5'10" - scary.  When I started Keto seriously and stuck to it, I was more like 260-268 range.  This morning I weighed in at 211 lbs.  So all told, I've lost close to 75 lbs. But during this run of serious Keto, I've lost 50+ lbs.  It's all not exact because I never weighed myself before (I didn't want to see the scale).  As I posted, I reversed the diabetes btw and no longer take any medication or have to do any monitoring.
  • It comes off fast at first and that's when the resolve has to kick in.  One month I only lost 4 or 5 lbs.  This month I've lost 7 and picked it back up again.
  • Dumbest advice here because you hear it all the time but once I stopped thinking about it being a diet and just changed the way I ate, it all clicked.

I try to keep to 20 carbs a day. My life is filled with things I can eat, and I've eliminated all things around that I can't eat.  SImple as that.  I highly suggest people do not drive yourself crazy counting every little macro.

[*]Once you get through a few weeks, cheat days never crossed my mind.  I've not cheated once.  I don't need to on this diet.  I've posted so many restaurant recommendations and delicious recipes that I've created or tested myself.  Why do I need to cheat with some crappy food when I can go eat a 12 ounce filet topped oscar style at a restaraunt with a side of sashimi?  There's just no need to.  Ketofridge.com has cookies and Keto ice cream.  It's all out there.

• Brief recap: Chipotle, 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, Jersey Mikes, Buffalo Wild Wings, Barbecue joints, Other fast casual places like Cava/Mezeh, etc.  There are so many convenience options.

[*]Start slow - maybe don't cut out Diet Sodas right away.  Maybe enjoy a few non-keto but low carb items.  You tend to dive right into diets militantly and it's probably what breaks you every time.

• If youre like me, after a few months you start cutting more and more of the ####.  No more nitrates, no more processed meats, organic spinach only, stevia only as a sweetener, no more diet soda, grass fed beef, grass fed butter.  Right now, im doing a 90 day no red meat challenge.
  • I'm not restricting myself from these things because I don't crave anything - at all. I eat for body fuel - my wife wants to kill me because I don't go out for ice cream and have to be picky wherever I eat.

[*]Don't have a cheat day. It just derails you IMO.  SOme people can handle them, you cannot, I know this.  We're very similar.  Birthday Cake at a child's party?  Too bad, suck it up and bust out one of Lidia's Chocolate Bars with Almonds.  

[*]Don't #### around with Reese's Peanut Butter cup "fat bombs" or similar indulgent recipes - if you can cut them after a few weeks into the diet, do it.  I did.  They just make me crave sweets more.

[*]Travelling for work?  So do I.  You can find eggs anywhere.  You can find steak anywhere.  You can peel off the bun at McDonalds.  You can get a sub in a tub at Jersey Mikes or an Unwich at Jimmy Johns.  I've been to Cuba, Scandinavia and South America on Keto.  It's no problem.

[*]Go find that meatballs recipe I posted.  They taste just like regular meatballs - hell they're better.  Chicken soup, chili, Butter Chicken.  Check out the Keto Connect youtube channel for recipes.  Those guys are the ####.  They also have a series where they eat Keto out at fast food places AND while travelling.

[*]Right now a typical day for me is skip breakfast if I'm fasting. Whole foods hot bar with baked chicken, some braised cabbage, a few fats like some goat cheese or something or an egg.  Dinner I make the #### out of fried "cauliflower" rice.  Mix with meat of choice, add a few veggies and soy sauce and you're done.  Takes 10 mins to make - steam in a bag Cauliflower rice.  On the weekends, I smoke ribs or brisket on my smoker with no sugar in my rubs.  This stuff is easy.

Lastly - just a general compendium of my recommended tools:

Youtube: Keto Connect (recipes, tips on eating out, huge community).  These guys have the best keto recipe around.  Their butter chicken is one of my favorite things.
Zevia: Zevia flavored soda - Ginger Ale and Grape are the best 2
Lily's Chocolate Bars - made without sugar, Dark Chocolate + Almond are amazing - I don't eat them often.  Maybe half a bar per week if I kinda want something sweet.  It's rare I do these days.
Ketofridge - expensive but high quality food, ice cream, cookies, milkshakes, cold brew coffees.  VERY convenient.
Ketobars.com - quick and easy Fat supplement that tastes like you're eating a desert.  Dark Chocolate + Coconut and Peanut Butter Chocolate are both fantastic.  I eat these as a snack all the time.  Only 3 grams of net carbs
reddit.com/r/ketorecipes - there's some fantastic looking #### on there
Flackers - basically compressed Flax seeds into a cracker, dip in one of those premade guacamole cups.  Easy. 
Steam in A Bag Cauliflower rice. I have a years supply stocked up in my fridge.

I don't know what else, ask me anything you'd like.  I can upload a few before/after pics later today.  Pretty good support group in this thread too, familiar faces, guys going through it with you, me lecturing people about cheating :hophead:  (half kidding there).  Friendly community w loads of support.
This is awesome. All makes absolute perfect sense. 

And I agree with the part about just sticking generally to 20g carbs. I’ll never be a guy who counts macros and all that Jazz. But this I can do. 

Thanks GB. Congrats on the amazing success story. I’m diving in!!!

@Otis 

I have been debating with my family for a while. Mom thinks I have an eating disorder. How long you going to keep eating this way she asks all the time! I ask her when I was 265 pounds why she did not ask me that question. In my mind it is simple. Some people process carbs and are skinny as __________. Others process carbs and look like adonis. I process carbs and look like a pear. This is how I eat now. Options everywhere that I can eat and I really do not miss anything but good craft beers and my wife's garlic mashed potatoes with gravy.

How long you going to keep eating this way she asks all the time! I ask her when I was 265 pounds why she did not ask me that question. 
Great response. I'm sure I'm stealing it this weekend. 2 of my fat sisters are in town for a funeral so we're going out to eat a couple times. It's going to sting a little when I say it because they're fat.

Otis in.  Started off with a big egg and cheese omelet and sliced avocado alongside my morning coffee.  The almond cake out on the counter did give me sort of a look, but I rejected and continued towards the fridge for the eggs.

Now if I could just copy this meal and paste it a thousand times.

I have officially plateau'd.

Bouncing back and forth between 25-30 lbs down for the last 10 days..  Definitely happy with that progress, but the goal is 10-15 more.

Gonna throw some lifting in, see if that doesn't jump start the train again.

I know there's some interesting metabolic activity being ketogenic, but dam the elimination of foods has to be the overriding factor to keto success. Went out with a crowd after a funeral yesterday. Vietnamese. I ordered a Shrimp Curry. So many potatoes, 70% of the dish. I pushed them aside, ate the shrimp and broth, snatched a cold satay from another table and went home hungry. Some of the out-of-towners descended on my place for baseball, pizza, darts, a movie, copious beers and a place to sleep. I picked the toppings off a slice, drank tequila neat, went to bed buzzed and hungry. None of them even realizing I'm ####### starving while they pig out. My sister wakes us up way too early. She has a six pack of hot coffee, a box of danish with some chocolate dipped croissants, wants to go hiking as a group before it gets too hot. They devoured it. I had coffee, took them to see fossils in the desert on a 4 mile hike, came home, got rid of them, went back to bed and woke up hungry with nothing keto to eat here.

193 fatties! 200 is goal weight. 

I present to you, my latest creation... 

https://imgur.com/a/eCtRPC8

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad. 

I steamed the cauliflower (not all the way through, as I wanted it to have some body) 

Mixed w mayo, Dijon mustard, chopped green onion, crumbled bacon, chopped pickle, celery, hard boiled eggs, a touch of white vinegar and topped w paprika 

Just placed an order for ketofridge for next week.  Curious to give some of it a try.  
I've had most of their catalog - feel free to ask any questions you may have.

I prefer just slamming it all in the microwave rather than using their reheating directions.  It comes out just fine.

So besides the potato salad posted last page...

I've created the following this weekend - I really need to put these all in one place with photos.

Both dishes I highly recommend.  One tip I didn't mention to Otis (because I want him to start out simple) is to create the versions of foods you would love.

Last night we did a low country boil. 

2 Gallons of water in a huge pot, once boiling I added 4 links of Andouille sausage, radishes instead of potatoes, 2 ears of corn (for my wife) and a #### ton of Old Bay seasoning.

After 15 mins, I added 4 frozen lobster tails, after 5 more minutes I added a big batch of frozen cooked crab legs. and cooked it all for 15 minutes.

It was DYNAMITE, the potatoes aren't missed because the radishes have the same consistency when boiled.  This can be replicated with clams, mussels, chorizo instead of andouille, kielbasa instead of andouille - the possibilities are vast

And on Friday night, I made Italian Shrimp and mushroom "Risotto" - this may have been the best thing I've come up with on Keto.

Start by browning up some mushrooms of your choice in butter and set aside.

Add  some oil to a pan and fry up 2 minced garlic cloves.  Then add in a lb of riced cauliflower (I buy it premade).  Cook for about 5 minutes then add about a cup of vegetable or seafood broth.  Work the cauliflower around in it.  (I think some dry white wine would be better)

Add in some dried oregano after most of the broth has evaporated.  Continually stir the cauliflower.  In another few minutes, add the shrimp on top.

Once the shrimp is cooked most of the way through, add back your mushrooms, about a quarter cup of heavy cream, and a bunch of fresh grated parmesan cheese.  Lastly some roughly chopped FRESH basil.

Serve with more grated cheese over the top.

Very good.  It was extremely smooth, very rich, very calorically dense but very low carb.

Ask me any questions you may have and I'll try to answer.

Jeebus JB did you not notice I'm starving here?

The faux potato salad. I have the ingredients on hand (except bacon and I can live without). Looks like what I'm craving, perfect cool summer munch on a hot day. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to mess up the kitchen. You should start a delivery service. I'd so order a gallon of that.

Jeebus JB did you not notice I'm starving here?

The faux potato salad. I have the ingredients on hand (except bacon and I can live without). Looks like what I'm craving, perfect cool summer munch on a hot day. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to mess up the kitchen. You should start a delivery service. I'd so order a gallon of that.
Ha!  I should, maybe I will. The logistics in getting that together must be insane though - judging by the food I get from Keto Fridge, the packaging alone must make the margins ridiculous.  

I noticed your starving and I hate to see people cheat so I try to share what I've learned and pass it along to this group because we can eat well.  You're doing great.  If you try any of my recipes, please feel free to ask any questions or report feedback.

I think it would be great served with a grilled sausage or burger.  We're serving ours tonight with a side of breaded porkchops.  I don't use recipes often as I'm pretty good in the kitchen so I think I'm just going to dip in egg wash, batter in almond flour and bake.  I like the coverage almond flour will give as opposed to crushed pork rinds.  Will report back.

Keep fighting!  I'm lucky in that, although my wife is not Keto, we don't have families or children.  I have no functions to attend, no birthday parties to ogle cake at, etc.  We are homebodies and I cook about 6 nights a week because of it.  

Starting back up Monday.

I took the last 2 weeks off. I was away on a trip and didn't care.

So hopefully my stall goes away :).  I'm up 3 pounds from when I stopped

So I did a cauli parmesan. Sliced two steaks from the center of a big head of cauli. Roasted them on parchment at 400 until they started browning. They give up moisture as they heat so I got them going before coating them in almond meal and returned to the oven for ten minutes to crisp the almond. Pulled them and covered them with trader's marinara, smoked mozzarella, and shaved parm. Kept roasting until the cheese bubbled and browned. I figure a little over 20g carbs in both steaks and would have preferred veal but I ain't starving at least. Vegetarian keto anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread