What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

For you hardcore keto guys, what's the end goal? Will you be reintroducing carbs into your diet at some point? Do you see yourself still doing keto 5 or 10 years from now?

The real question is how much longer before keto goes the way the of every other fad

And i don't mean for that to be insulting.  I believe in bringing ketogenesis about once a week or so.  I do so through fasting.  

Last edited by a moderator:
For you hardcore keto guys, what's the end goal? Will you be reintroducing carbs into your diet at some point? Do you see yourself still doing keto 5 or 10 years from now?
I'm 7 lbs under goal. There's plenty of evidence suggesting maintenance is harder than weight loss. I'd rather be dead than weigh three bills again. I'd despise myself at 250. I yoyoed for years.

Calorie restriction is a way of life at maintenance. Keto is a tool like juice fasting or potato dieting or time spent vegan. I spend less than a third of my life on these or other diets insuring I don't baloon. Two thirds I eat pizza burgers and tacos but not in the portions I did as a fat slob. Of all the available tools, keto is my favorite.

The real question is how much longer before keto goes the way the of every other fad

And i don't mean for that to be insulting.  I believe in bringing ketogenesis about once a week or so.  I do so through fasting.  
Paleolithic researchers claim we evolved and adapted through two ice ages with millenniums of ketogenic dieting. A researcher at the Mayo Clinic coined the term ketogenic diet while studying positive outcomes for epileptics and diabetics in 1921. It's been the diet of our ancestors through tough times for a couple hundred thousand years, and it's been a medically supervised diet for almost 100. It isn't going anywhere. Most recent discoveries strengthen the known medical benefits.

In water fasting studies it takes two to three days for the onset of ketosis. This guy monitored it closely and it took 67 hours. So a weekly fast is a healthy and highly recommended thing to do but you're not experiencing the benefits of ketosis unless you're seriously low carbing between fasts.

Yeah, I don't know the answer to that myself.  

Feeling good, better mental clarity, clearer skin, completely cleared up my severe acid reflux, no digestive issues, reversed diabetes for me, and eat really good food without counting calories?  Sign me up.  I'd imagine I could do it for a long time.

I just find on Keto - that along with the net carbs I still just end up eating less.

No processed sugars, no "over doing it" on whatever food, no sugary drinks (not just talking soda, but arnold palmers, gatorade, etc)

I just am more focused and seems to work for me

I don't think I could live my whole life doing it as I am a bit a picky eater. But a few months at a time is no problem

Paleolithic researchers claim we evolved and adapted through two ice ages with millenniums of ketogenic dieting. A researcher at the Mayo Clinic coined the term ketogenic diet while studying positive outcomes for epileptics and diabetics in 1921. It's been the diet of our ancestors through tough times for a couple hundred thousand years, and it's been a medically supervised diet for almost 100. It isn't going anywhere. Most recent discoveries strengthen the known medical benefits.

In water fasting studies it takes two to three days for the onset of ketosis. This guy monitored it closely and it took 67 hours. So a weekly fast is a healthy and highly recommended thing to do but you're not experiencing the benefits of ketosis unless you're seriously low carbing between fasts.

The key word is 'claim' in that statement.  Almost all the nutrition data out there shows that diets high in red meat and pork are extremely toxic to the system.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/12/10/250007042/chowing-down-on-meat-and-dairy-alters-gut-bacteria-a-lot-and-quickly

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5385025/

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=red+meat+pork&btnG=

This is the problem with the internet as well because some guy on a website said something and it's passed around as gospel.  In regards to when you enter ketogenesis, I have read otherwise but honestly my proof is just some guy on the internet as well.

Cashews have 9g of carbs?!  Damn.

Any good snack suggestions?

I like almonds.
Macadamias, pecans and Brazil nuts are the low carb nuts. Cashew and Pistachio are too high. Peanut, walnut, hazelnut, not too bad. Almonds a little worse. I purchase the three low ones in bulk on ebay and freeze them. I have a great source for walnuts locally. Bender recommended a snack bar, I think Lilly's. I keep a box of Atkins bars in the fridge and maybe eat one every three days or so. Jerky can be a satisfying snack. There's low carb chips and crackers out there, but I'm not too familiar with them. 

This cannot be overstated. Those carb cravings are a killer 
I remember thinking it was like kicking smokes the addiction was so strong. I read somewhere that the refined sugar and grain eating gut bacteria that flourishes on high carb diets literally messages our brains to eat carbs. You have to starve it to death and poop it out to beat the messaging. 

Macadamias, pecans and Brazil nuts are the low carb nuts. Cashew and Pistachio are too high. Peanut, walnut, hazelnut, not too bad. Almonds a little worse. I purchase the three low ones in bulk on ebay and freeze them. I have a great source for walnuts locally. Bender recommended a snack bar, I think Lilly's. I keep a box of Atkins bars in the fridge and maybe eat one every three days or so. Jerky can be a satisfying snack. There's low carb chips and crackers out there, but I'm not too familiar with them. 
brazil nuts are often very mouldy so be careful...mould toxins are killer on the system

Omg. 24 hours later and I’m still hungover. I totally forgot how bad it was to drink heavily while on low carb/keto. 

Barely ate much yesterday other than a zero carb protein shake and some seafood. Started drinking wine and beer at a restaurant with the seafood. Got sloshed. Got home and opened another bottle of red. 24 hours later and I still have a headache. Never again. 

The miraculous part of it all is that despite being drunk and having MAJOR carb cravings when I was home, I didn’t touch any of the carbs and junk food. Had a piece of cheese and went to bed. Probably why I still feel so awful.

May also be a hangover mixed with keto flu for a double whammy.

Sheesh. 

Scale this morning was on the brink of the 220s for the first time in a long time.  Digital (Aria) scale, I stepped on and it popped down to 229, then up to 231, then teetered back and forth before finally stopping at 230.1  

So so close.  Haven't been down in the 220s since this time last year.  To get there now would mean I'm doing it with a bunch more muscle on me than I had the last time I was in the 220s, since I've been lifting regularly for a year since then, which can only be a good thing.  PROGRESS.

Staying the course...  should hit the 220s any day now, and then want to march down below 220.

Pretty sure Chicago is the worst Keto town in the world. Seemingly an endless mountain of pizza, mexican, italian, and craft beer. So here I sit at the insipid hotel bar drinking Beam and Diet while waiting for Uber Eats to deliver my wings. Ducked out of the conference cocktail hour because the menu was super carby. And I hate people. Especially people at conference cocktail hours.  So instead, I'm observing "Young Lawyers Society" night at the hotel bar and trying to figure out how many of them I can take out with a wicked keto fart.

Pretty sure Chicago is the worst Keto town in the world. Seemingly an endless mountain of pizza, mexican, italian, and craft beer. So here I sit at the insipid hotel bar drinking Beam and Diet while waiting for Uber Eats to deliver my wings. Ducked out of the conference cocktail hour because the menu was super carby. And I hate people. Especially people at conference cocktail hours.  So instead, I'm observing "Young Lawyers Society" night at the hotel bar and trying to figure out how many of them I can take out with a wicked keto fart.
8,000 steak houses in this town. Go get a ribeye and some asparagus, tell them to throw a fried egg on it and smother it in hollindaise 

Week one down and just north of 8 pounds lost. Didn’t chase macros like my wife has because I’m just conditioned to think consuming that many grams of fat is repulsive. Then it became somewhat overwhelming to put together a diet that filled the needs, but definitely kept the net carbs down to about 20 per day. 

I love beer and especially craft beer, so that’s been the biggest challenge. Stopped in at a local sports bar for lunch yesterday and they were giving away free beer flights for Father’s Day, so I caved there, but otherwise all alcohol consumed last week has been vodka. And switching  to vodka has been painfully boring, but at least that pain gets numbed pretty quickly. 

Overall, I feel great. More energy, not bloated and the cloud I’ve felt like ive been in for about 2 months seems to have been lifted. Also find myself breathing better while and after exerting myself. (Shout out to Mr Epic for that one) 

When you guys count carbs, are you counting net carbs?

For example, if I eat a questbar with 22 carbs but 15 grams of fiber...is it still 22 carbs or considered 7 carbs for keto purposes?

When you guys count carbs, are you counting net carbs?

For example, if I eat a questbar with 22 carbs but 15 grams of fiber...is it still 22 carbs or considered 7 carbs for keto purposes?
I think most people are counting net carbs, but that seems like a lot of fiber in one bar. :unsure:  

One word of warning re: Quest bars.  They contain types of Fiber that are not very good glycemic wise.  

By all means, eat them during transition phases, but I think once you hit that wall or stall, they are a good cut.  

Somehow I've been sticking with this.  And that includes being in the midst of a two way stay at a hotel for business.  Ordering up lots of meat, avocados, etc.  Somehow have been staying good, just can't believe it.  Keto bark has been great, as have my Power Crunch peanut butter fudge bars.  If I can keep this up for a few months, I'll be unstoppable.

Back from Vegas for a week and had a fairly big setback. I gained .1 lb.

already lost 1.4 lbs since I've been back so on we go.

Cashews have 9g of carbs?!  Damn.

Any good snack suggestions?

I like almonds.
I bought some today at a wawa because there really wasn't anything else.  Had a handful or so and the rest are sitting at my desk.  Not the best choice for us i guess but better than ho-ho's 

Had to switch to Keto recently.  I was Vegetarian (w/fish dishes once or twice a week) for almost a year and slowly went from 200ish to 218ish.  Yes, gained weight as a vegetarian and I work out 4-5 times a week which includes a warm up run.

Problem was it's great if you can live off of cold veggies but I started relying too much on carbs and cooked-salted veggies, Indian, Mexican & Asian food with beans, rice or pasta and it started to catch up with me.

My fighting weight is 185, if I can no-carb it down to 185-190ish and right-size my diet I'll be happy.  Anything over 200 for me is the fat-zone. 

I'm only doing lean meats, no pork or processed meat (e.g. hot dogs)

Had to switch to Keto recently.  I was Vegetarian (w/fish dishes once or twice a week) for almost a year and slowly went from 200ish to 218ish.  Yes, gained weight as a vegetarian and I work out 4-5 times a week which includes a warm up run.

Problem was it's great if you can live off of cold veggies but I started relying too much on carbs and cooked-salted veggies, Indian, Mexican & Asian food with beans, rice or pasta and it started to catch up with me.

My fighting weight is 185, if I can no-carb it down to 185-190ish and right-size my diet I'll be happy.  Anything over 200 for me is the fat-zone. 

I'm only doing lean meats, no pork or processed meat (e.g. hot dogs)
That's not really Keto then, as the idea is the high fat keeps you satiated.  That is if anything can keep Arizona Ron satiated.

That's not really Keto then, as the idea is the high fat keeps you satiated.  That is if anything can keep Arizona Ron satiated.
I just can't entertain the idea of losing weight while eating bacon.  My total cholesterol is in the 180s, I'd like to keep it that way (or lower). 

Away at a hotel for two weeks on work. This is the first time in history I’ve actually stuck to a plan while traveling like this. Every meal in basically eating turkey, avocado, and bacon. Some keto bark and or low carb protein bars mixed in. Feeing good. Gonna keep riding this out. 

OT

Away at a hotel for two weeks on work. This is the first time in history I’ve actually stuck to a plan while traveling like this. Every meal in basically eating turkey, avocado, and bacon. Some keto bark and or low carb protein bars mixed in. Feeing good. Gonna keep riding this out. 

OT
Do you find your more clear headed?  More productive?  I always find i am when I’m keto.

side note.  I actually found it easier(if you have an expense account) doing keto traveling.  Steak every night!  In a pinch order burgers and toss the buns!

Do you find your more clear headed?  More productive?  I always find i am when I’m keto.

side note.  I actually found it easier(if you have an expense account) doing keto traveling.  Steak every night!  In a pinch order burgers and toss the buns!
I'd be surprised if any place serving burgers won't serve them bunless. Even fast food places do this if you ask. I get them frequently. A local Mexican place makes a great hamberguesa and when ordered bunless they give you a little extra everything else on the burger and serve it in a bowl like a big salad. It's become a common stop for me lately.

I'd be surprised if any place serving burgers won't serve them bunless. Even fast food places do this if you ask. I get them frequently. A local Mexican place makes a great hamberguesa and when ordered bunless they give you a little extra everything else on the burger and serve it in a bowl like a big salad. It's become a common stop for me lately.
taco places are great too.  get a burrito in a bowl with errthang on it. 

Holy crap I just found out how many carbs in a Dunkin Donuts bagel (~65).  I use to grab one of these once or twice a week if I'm on the go because it seemed healthier than a doughnut or egg sandwich.  :shock:  

It's my birthday today.  Wife offered to take me out to dinner.  I told her, all I wanted was a pint of Bourbon and for her to make FatHead pizza.  Her recipe is so good, tastes like real pizza and is way better than some crap fish for 30 dollars a plate at a restaurant.  I love this diet.

Users who are viewing this thread