What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (2 Viewers)

Tom Skerritt said:
And honestly, any diet is subjective to what the person wants out of it. 

For example if I wanted to live as long as possible, I should probably follow an Asian diet of fish, broth and leaky vegetables. 

People have differing priorities when it comes to nutrition. 
I assume any diet must be palatable so it can be maintained. But shouldn't overall health, as reflected by weight and disease prevention (and by extension, longevity) be the goal?

Last edited by a moderator:
ProstheticRGK said:
Welcome to the conversation. Good questions.

1. This question seems oversimplistic, to me. The body will utilize whatever method it needs to produce fuel for cells (basically ATP) whether that be from protein, fat or carbs. To say that the body evolved to preferentially use carbs is a misstatement, and also implies an assumption that there's an "intelligent design" behind evolution. We are omnivores, and our digestion/metabolism pathways seem like they evolved to maximize energy production from available food sources. To imply that a carb heavy diet is "right" or optimal, simply because it is the most efficient pathway seems like a stretch.

2. Particularly, i'd want to look at long-term effects on lipid profiles, atherosclerotic processes, hepatic function, renal function and gallbladder disease. Any long-term studies of diet have to be taken with a healthy dose of context, just because of the limits of any dietary study. It's much more difiicult to control variables in long-term diet studies than scientific experiments. Not to mention reliance on self-reporting for most studies (like Chaka mentioned). I tend to believe a lot of the findings about how beneficial a plant-based diet is from the China study and other studies (check out the Longevity Diet by Dr. Luongo) but I truly think a lot of the anti-meat evils purported have their basis in a fundamental aversion to animal products on an emotional/moral basis, which clouds conclusions in a confirmation bias.

3. The only real reason that works for this question is because you want to. It works, and the benefits are readily noticeable fairly quickly. Short-term benefits, besides weight loss, are: elimination of prediabetic state, reducing BP,  normalizing serum blood levels of many important markers, reduction in aches/pains/inflammation in the body and ease of compliance. It works, read thru the thread for the testimonials.
1. It's simplistic, but biochemically correct. Given a balanced meal, the body preferentially metabolizes carbohydrates as the main source of blood glucose. As omnivores, it makes sense we'd evolve to digest/metabolize what's readily available, as efficiently as possible. Limiting an entire class of macronutrient runs contrary to our basic biochemistry. And evolution favors processes which promote propagating one's genes, that's it...but those things don't necessarily correlate to long term health after the childbearing years.

2. Agree, especially about the limitations of nutrition studies. It's why you need to scrutinize the methodology of any "science" and not accept anecdotal success. Even considering the emotional influence/bias wrt animal welfare in advocating plant-based diets, there still seems to be a lot more support for them than their low carb counterparts. 

3. Those benefits result from weight loss, no matter the diet. Inasmuch as Keto gets you losing weight a bit more quickly, its an effective short term diet. But my concern is how readily the weight loss/diet are maintained and long term health consequences, especially in comparison to the current gold standard IMO, the Mediterranean diet. 

1. It's simplistic, but biochemically correct. Given a balanced meal, the body preferentially metabolizes carbohydrates as the main source of blood glucose. As omnivores, it makes sense we'd evolve to digest/metabolize what's readily available, as efficiently as possible. Limiting an entire class of macronutrient runs contrary to our basic biochemistry. And evolution favors processes which promote propagating one's genes, that's it...but those things don't necessarily correlate to long term health after the childbearing years.

2. Agree, especially about the limitations of nutrition studies. It's why you need to scrutinize the methodology of any "science" and not accept anecdotal success. Even considering the emotional influence/bias wrt animal welfare in advocating plant-based diets, there still seems to be a lot more support for them than their low carb counterparts. 

3. Those benefits result from weight loss, no matter the diet. Inasmuch as Keto gets you losing weight a bit more quickly, its an effective short term diet. But my concern is how readily the weight loss/diet are maintained and long term health consequences, especially in comparison to the current gold standard IMO, the Mediterranean diet. 
1. My problem with what I understand you saying, is that there's an implication that the body's efficiency in using carbs as a power source is a de facto evolutionary imprimatur. To me, it's not a "right or wrong" question. It's simply a question of utility: "What method gives what benefits, and at what cost?" Eating keto eliminates insulin spikes, which stops a whole cascade of other hormone activity: specifically, ghrelin and leptin, which directly and indirectly control hunger and satiety. I don't get food cravings anymore, I eat more consciously, and consume way less processed foods. I could happily eat like this for the rest of my life, unless I make a conscious decision not to. Full stop.

As far as limiting carbs running contrary to our basic biochemistry- so is living in a world where factory farms, food processing plants, refrigeration and an overabundance of food choices with little to no nutritional value, besides macronutrients. We live in circumstances that weren't even imagined throuh the course of human history. We've already mucked with the "Natural Order", the best we can do is learn the processes as well as possible and figure out cost/benefit, so we can make informed choices. Every diet you consciously choose is going to restrict certain macros. I don't get hung up on which ones, I just choose which way works best for me.

2. It's not anecdotal that keto is effective. That's ironclad. I share a lot of your concerns about long term effects of high volume of animal products. I will, most likely, transition to vegan keto or at least the Longevity diet when I am ready. But, that's more based on educated guesses and gut feelings than hard science. Seriously, if you haven't checked out Dr. Luongo's work, please do. You seem like a smart well-reasoned dude, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. Also, when you say that plant-based has more support, what do you mean by that?

3. I don't know much more than a passing familiarity with the Mediterranean Diet. Break it down. What are the core principles, and why do you feel it's optimal.

1. My problem with what I understand you saying, is that there's an implication that the body's efficiency in using carbs as a power source is a de facto evolutionary imprimatur. To me, it's not a "right or wrong" question. It's simply a question of utility: "What method gives what benefits, and at what cost?" Eating keto eliminates insulin spikes, which stops a whole cascade of other hormone activity: specifically, ghrelin and leptin, which directly and indirectly control hunger and satiety. I don't get food cravings anymore, I eat more consciously, and consume way less processed foods. I could happily eat like this for the rest of my life, unless I make a conscious decision not to. Full stop.

As far as limiting carbs running contrary to our basic biochemistry- so is living in a world where factory farms, food processing plants, refrigeration and an overabundance of food choices with little to no nutritional value, besides macronutrients. We live in circumstances that weren't even imagined throuh the course of human history. We've already mucked with the "Natural Order", the best we can do is learn the processes as well as possible and figure out cost/benefit, so we can make informed choices. Every diet you consciously choose is going to restrict certain macros. I don't get hung up on which ones, I just choose which way works best for me.
Agreed. And let's not forget that the abundance of cheap, abundant readily available carbs is very recent in our evolution as a species. I don't think it is scientifically valid to simply state that we are evolutionarily adapted to carbs when they did not exist in any abundance for about 99% of our evolution.

Also does the fact that carbs are processed preferentially to protein and fat mean that carbs are healthier? We process alcohol preferentially to protein and fat too, should we be drinking more alcohol? Simple sugars and alcohol preferentially to complex carbs etc. Maybe the path of least resistance is also the healthiest option, then again maybe not.

2. It's not anecdotal that keto is effective. That's ironclad. I share a lot of your concerns about long term effects of high volume of animal products. I will, most likely, transition to vegan keto or at least the Longevity diet when I am ready. But, that's more based on educated guesses and gut feelings than hard science. Seriously, if you haven't checked out Dr. Luongo's work, please do. You seem like a smart well-reasoned dude, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it. Also, when you say that plant-based has more support, what do you mean by that?

3. I don't know much more than a passing familiarity with the Mediterranean Diet. Break it down. What are the core principles, and why do you feel it's optimal.
1. I think it's easy to conflate processed, unhealthy foods with carbohydrates - after all, a lot of them are high in carbs. But there are also plenty of healthy carbohydrate-rich foods, principally fruits, veggies, legumes and some grains. Meanwhile, there are high fat, high protein foods that aren't especially healthy, which Keto gives a pass - red meat being one example. No one knows why carbohydrate metabolism evolved as the primary source of glucose/energy production, but ketosis clearly is not preferred if all macronutrients are available. As far as insulin spikes, they can be avoided if balanced meals of appropriate portion size are consumed.

While the toothpaste is out of the tube regarding processed food availability, its not mandatory to indulge in it. I don't think diet is intended to be a an exercise in mathematics, counting macronutrients and calories, as your body processes food that is a combination of a bunch of stuff, and the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts. But I'm not convinced Keto has the right parts for the long haul.

2. Keto has been scientifically shown to result in greater short term weight loss than comparable low fat diets, but we still don't know about maintaining the diet/weight long term - I'm talking beyond two years. There's more longitudinal data for plant based diets being sustainable and healthy, as measured by disease prevention/regression and longevity...outcomes I think are far more important than numbers on a scale. While everyone mentions lipid profile and CV risk, I'm just as concerned about things like kidney disease/stones and malignancy being promoted by animal protein rich VLC diets. But we don't have enough data to know.

3. Here's an overview of the Mediterranean diet: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801 

I don't think its the only healthful diet out there, but its probably the best studied. It shares a lot characteristics with so-called "Blue Zone" diets throughout the world, which are based on the dietary habits long-lived populations. To my knowledge, none of those regions indulge in high fat/protein diets at the expense of carbs. Quite the contrary, they tend to eat a lot of carbohydrates, and not a lot of fat and protein relative to Keto.

1. No one knows why carbohydrate metabolism evolved as the primary source of glucose/energy production, but ketosis clearly is not preferred if all macronutrients are available. 
This is a faulty premise. As I stated above. If all macronutrients are present the body will process alcohol before protein, fat  (I believe over complex carbs as well but need to fact check that one). Does that make alcohol our evolutionarily preferred source of calories? Or is our body simply prioritizing removal of toxins? 

If you choose to focus on our evolution you can't ignore the fact that over 98% of our time evolving was at a time when foraging, hunting and gathering were how we obtained our calories. Carbs were not necessarily the primary calories our nomadic ancestors consumed.

The vast majority of our evolution as a species occurred well before we became clusters of stationary agrarian societies.

Can you elaborate? 
If you take the principals of a Med diet and make them lower carb you can

Decrease metabolic symptoms, such as FLD.

Decrease body fatness while maintaining or improving lipid panels in obese people

Has better compliance as a low carb model

It also goes to wonder why perhaps if the Med diet is holding up, why is the biggest longitudinal study retracted? Among criticisms that the research was flawed and downright fraudulent?  

Now I'm not a keto follower, I believe in a few principals.  That Flour is processed food, and junk food.  And sugar is an empty calorie.  Cutting those out and keeping carbs at a manageable .5g/lb is the optimal level for humans.  I don't think you can hit .5g/lb with any flour or sugar in your diet, and get the rest of your macros correct.  If you can.  Cheers. 

This approach gives you the benefits of lower insulin and other hormone levels that you don't want, and allows you to recover from resistance training sufficiently.  Most would call this type of diet "primal". Focus on stuff we ate a long time ago, primarily. 

The Med diet is flawed IMO in that it basically says, remove junk food (good) and replace it with whole grains and avocados, and olive oil and some fish.  For me the issue here is that the science is pretty aligned on the fact that if you raise fat in a high carb environment you are going to cause weight GAIN in a huge subset of the population. Not all, but some (and the NEJM people basically dropped them from the population saying they "didn't comply") oops.  This is the fraud that the Med. Diet guys pushed on us.  So now you have people eating fat bombs and a salmon and cream cheese bagel (Whole wheat mind you) for lunch and don't see results.  hmmm....wonder why?

TL:DR the Med diet is flawed in that if you increase fat without cutting carb you will cause metabolic stress and weight gain if calories are kept even remotely isocaloric.  It's completely bull####.    

You can argue all day that keto is not optimal for many reasons (mainly that it's really too meat centric and SFA centric), but the reasons it is not optimal are not reasons others are a better options and as long as you recognize this and work to change that you will be in good shape.

This is a faulty premise. As I stated above. If all macronutrients are present the body will process alcohol before protein, fat  (I believe over complex carbs as well but need to fact check that one). Does that make alcohol our evolutionarily preferred source of calories? Or is our body simply prioritizing removal of toxins? 

If you choose to focus on our evolution you can't ignore the fact that over 98% of our time evolving was at a time when foraging, hunting and gathering were how we obtained our calories. Carbs were not necessarily the primary calories our nomadic ancestors consumed.

The vast majority of our evolution as a species occurred well before we became clusters of stationary agrarian societies.
Respectfully, I disagree. And to be clear, glucose is the central fuel in our metabolism, not ketone bodies. While any of the three macronutrients can provide it, carbohydrates do so most readily.

As far as foraging goes, are you advocating Paleo or VLC diets? Rather than modeling the diet of societies who died off in their 30's, why not mimic those of modern long-lived cultures?

Lastly, alcohol isn't a macronutrient, nor is it essential for health. 

Respectfully, I disagree. And to be clear, glucose is the central fuel in our metabolism, not ketone bodies. While any of the three macronutrients can provide it, carbohydrates do so most readily.

As far as foraging goes, are you advocating Paleo or VLC diets? Rather than modeling the diet of societies who died off in their 30's, why not mimic those of modern long-lived cultures?

I have no problem with your disagreement and I am not saying that the premise is entirely wrong, I am saying that it is far more complicated than you are stating.  Saying that alcohol is not a "macronutrient" is fine but it is a source of calories that we process preferentially to protein and fat so the distinction of "primary" fuel source in-and-of-itself is not proof of evolutionary advantage.  This is not to say that alcohol is better just that primacy is not the sole factor.

I am not expressly advocating anything I am pointing out questions in the logic. Being longer lived as a society is not indicative of evolutionary advantage.  For the ~10,000 years before about the 1920s humans were primarily agrarian but our life expectancy barely fluctuated.  Being longer lived most likely has far more to do with advances in technology than dietary improvements.

To be clear, I am not advocating Keto as a healthier eating program.  I personally agree with @culdeus that targeting ~ 0.5g/lb of body weight for carb intake is solid target for humans.  In my world that translates to between 90-110 g of carbs and I eat such that about 30-50 grams of that would be fiber.  That puts my "normal" diet far closer to keto than the SAD where most people are hitting 4x that number of carbs, with little or no fiber.

Increased life expectancy since the early 1900s has more to do with medicine than with macros. This is largely due to significant improvements in healthcare services, investment in medical research, and universal health coverage.

If you take the principals of a Med diet and make them lower carb you can

Decrease metabolic symptoms, such as FLD.

Decrease body fatness while maintaining or improving lipid panels in obese people

Has better compliance as a low carb model

It also goes to wonder why perhaps if the Med diet is holding up, why is the biggest longitudinal study retracted? Among criticisms that the research was flawed and downright fraudulent?  

Now I'm not a keto follower, I believe in a few principals.  That Flour is processed food, and junk food.  And sugar is an empty calorie.  Cutting those out and keeping carbs at a manageable .5g/lb is the optimal level for humans.  I don't think you can hit .5g/lb with any flour or sugar in your diet, and get the rest of your macros correct.  If you can.  Cheers. 

This approach gives you the benefits of lower insulin and other hormone levels that you don't want, and allows you to recover from resistance training sufficiently.  Most would call this type of diet "primal". Focus on stuff we ate a long time ago, primarily. 

The Med diet is flawed IMO in that it basically says, remove junk food (good) and replace it with whole grains and avocados, and olive oil and some fish.  For me the issue here is that the science is pretty aligned on the fact that if you raise fat in a high carb environment you are going to cause weight GAIN in a huge subset of the population. Not all, but some (and the NEJM people basically dropped them from the population saying they "didn't comply") oops.  This is the fraud that the Med. Diet guys pushed on us.  So now you have people eating fat bombs and a salmon and cream cheese bagel (Whole wheat mind you) for lunch and don't see results.  hmmm....wonder why?

TL:DR the Med diet is flawed in that if you increase fat without cutting carb you will cause metabolic stress and weight gain if calories are kept even remotely isocaloric.  It's completely bull####.    

You can argue all day that keto is not optimal for many reasons (mainly that it's really too meat centric and SFA centric), but the reasons it is not optimal are not reasons others are a better options and as long as you recognize this and work to change that you will be in good shape.
While those pilot studies are interesting, they don't prove anything about long term health benefits/harm of Keto vs. plant-based higher carbohydrate diets like the Med. And participants violating diet protocols is inherent with any nutrition study - its a big part of why its so difficult to determine the best diet. Ultimately I think the proof is in the pudding, as there is no long-lived population that follows a low carb strategy. On the contrary, animal-eating primitive cultures like the Inuits and Masai die off pretty young - granted, that's likely multifactorial, but nobody would classify the diets of Sardinians, Icarians, Okinawans, Adventists, etc. as low carb.  

In the absence of longitudinal data suggesting otherwise, its a little premature to demonize an entire class of macronutrient in favor of the others, especially in the face of populations thriving on high carb diets. 

Increased life expectancy since the early 1900s has more to do with medicine than with macros. This is largely due to significant improvements in healthcare services, investment in medical research, and universal health coverage.
Ok, so lets just look at a culture with fairly uniform sanitation and access to medical care...the US (debatable for some minorities, I know). Why do Seventh Day Adventists outlive the rest of the country? If you think diet is a part of it, how does their diet compare to the diets advocated in this thread?

Great conversation. 

I do not believe the human system has evolved on how it runs on energy but what humans consume has changed significantly since 1940. The increase in daily carbs/sugar processed foods has been the biggest change and then the whole Low fat era turned out to be not so good either.

I believe alcohol is removed first because the body sees it as a poison. Some would say carbs are not as essential of a nutrient as once thought. 

Ok, so lets just look at a culture with fairly uniform sanitation and access to medical care...the US (debatable for some minorities, I know). Why do Seventh Day Adventists outlive the rest of the country? If you think diet is a part of it, how does their diet compare to the diets advocated in this thread?
Citation needed.   SDA having some long lifespan is a myth from the 90s where people simply didn't know just how awful smoking is for you.  Find something from this decade to back this up.

And, there is no hard requirement to eat vegan/veg with SDA as is commonly considered.  Their diet most resembles a vegetarian path but paleo SDA certainly exist albeit without pork.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25149402

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25791113

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22910035

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison for similar reasons as you are discounting the Masai or Inuit.  SDA have many other lifestyle differences than diet. They don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, less likely to eat processed foods etc. It is not valid to make an X to X comparison of them to average Americans that eat upwards of 400 grams of processed carbohydrates, with very little fiber content per day and draw the conclusion that "Mediterranean diet >>> Keto".

I appreciate that you are new to the discussion on this board and it's great that you continue posing your questions, we do love talking about this stuff.  However you should know that it is highly unlikely that you are going to provide an angle or perspective that has not been considered by posters in this thread. My advice is to read what @culdeus writes and then do what he wrote.

And let's also be abundantly clear that no one in this thread is demonizing "...an entire class of macronutrient in favor of the others...". However most reasonable people agree that we have a carbohydrate imbalance going on right now and that does need to be addressed.

Citation needed.   SDA having some long lifespan is a myth from the 90s where people simply didn't know just how awful smoking is for you.  Find something from this decade to back this up.

And, there is no hard requirement to eat vegan/veg with SDA as is commonly considered.  Their diet most resembles a vegetarian path but paleo SDA certainly exist albeit without pork.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25149402

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25791113

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22910035
Summary of the Adventist Studies: https://publichealth.llu.edu/sites/publichealth.llu.edu/files/docs/sph-ahs-overview.pdf Adventist I and II both show mortality benefit with more plant based diets. And while smoking is clearly bad, life expectancy for the rest of us still hasn't caught up with the Adventists, even though we smoke much less than 30 years ago. Plus they controlled for smoking in multivariate analysis.

I'm not advocating veganism, just pointing out long-lived populations don't eat anything like a ketogenic, or even carb-restricted diet. The "Western" diet has led to unprecedented levels of obesity and chronic disease because of heavily processed foods, many of which are rich in carbohydrates. But that doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water and massively restrict all carbs, especially when the things you're substituting aren't healthy either.

I'm not sure that's a fair comparison for similar reasons as you are discounting the Masai or Inuit.  SDA have many other lifestyle differences than diet. They don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, less likely to eat processed foods etc. It is not valid to make an X to X comparison of them to average Americans that eat upwards of 400 grams of processed carbohydrates, with very little fiber content per day and draw the conclusion that "Mediterranean diet >>> Keto".

I appreciate that you are new to the discussion on this board and it's great that you continue posing your questions, we do love talking about this stuff.  However you should know that it is highly unlikely that you are going to provide an angle or perspective that has not been considered by posters in this thread. My advice is to read what @culdeus writes and then do what he wrote.

And let's also be abundantly clear that no one in this thread is demonizing "...an entire class of macronutrient in favor of the others...". However most reasonable people agree that we have a carbohydrate imbalance going on right now and that does need to be addressed.
Those other lifestyle choices are accounted for in multivariate analyses of the Adventists studies. Researchers are well aware of confounders.

You touch on a fundamental problem I have with many of these comparisons - Keto looks pretty good compared to the typical "Western" diet, but avoiding low fiber, processed food will make anything look good. Mediterranean diets don't include that junk, rather healthy carbohydrates in proportions that fly in the face of ketosis, and align with other diets of long-lived populations. Roughly 65% of calories from carbohydrates, 95% of them plant-based. Call me unreasonable, but IMO the problem isn't a carbohydrate imbalance, it's the the type of carbohydrates, proteins and fats we eat. And portion control.

I'm sorry you don't want to discuss this further. I'm sure Culdeus is a bright dude, but I'll stick with my current diet. Amazingly, I'm a healthy weight and disease-free despite never counting macronutrients. Michael Pollan summarized it nicely: Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants.   

Those other lifestyle choices are accounted for in multivariate analyses of the Adventists studies. Researchers are well aware of confounders.

You touch on a fundamental problem I have with many of these comparisons - Keto looks pretty good compared to the typical "Western" diet, but avoiding low fiber, processed food will make anything look good. Mediterranean diets don't include that junk, rather healthy carbohydrates in proportions that fly in the face of ketosis, and align with other diets of long-lived populations. Roughly 65% of calories from carbohydrates, 95% of them plant-based. Call me unreasonable, but IMO the problem isn't a carbohydrate imbalance, it's the the type of carbohydrates, proteins and fats we eat. And portion control.

I'm sorry you don't want to discuss this further. I'm sure Culdeus is a bright dude, but I'll stick with my current diet. Amazingly, I'm a healthy weight and disease-free despite never counting macronutrients. Michael Pollan summarized it nicely: Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants.   
I didn't say I don't wish to discuss further, heck I encouraged you to continue. But your points are not new ground for us and have been discussed at length over the years in this and other threads.

I appreciate your curiosity but if you ask the questions you also have to be open answers that don't fit your current paradigm. Culdeus, and others have quite effectively pointed to the flaws in your belief in both the Mediterranean diet and studies of the SDA (and many other notions you present). At the same time he has not once said Keto is a better alternative and I don't think anyone else has either. No one is preaching.

This has been a long evolving thread, I don't really expect you to know where it started and where it is today. But this isn't our first rodeo. I don't think anyone in here is a bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner person (the simplified original promise of keto).

I didn't say I don't wish to discuss further, heck I encouraged you to continue. But your points are not new ground for us and have been discussed at length over the years in this and other threads.

I appreciate your curiosity but if you ask the questions you also have to be open answers that don't fit your current paradigm. Culdeus, and others have quite effectively pointed to the flaws in your belief in both the Mediterranean diet and studies of the SDA (and many other notions you present). At the same time he has not once said Keto is a better alternative and I don't think anyone else has either. No one is preaching.

This has been a long evolving thread, I don't really expect you to know where it started and where it is today. But this isn't our first rodeo. I don't think anyone in here is a bacon, eggs and cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner person (the simplified original promise of keto).
Forgive me if I fail to see encouragement in this statement:

However you should know that it is highly unlikely that you are going to provide an angle or perspective that has not been considered by posters in this thread. My advice is to read what @culdeus writes and then do what he wrote.
I've responded to your and Culdeus' statements, but it seems like you've figured it all out. Hopefully the scientists and centarians get the message, too.

Been semi keto the past 2 weeks.  I know it's not really a thing but I would be low carb 5/6 days and eat ok the other.

Not sure where I left off.

8 weeks in down 14.5 pounds.

I have 15 left to hit my main goal

And 25 to get to my ultimate goal (178)

Terminalxylem said:
Forgive me if I fail to see encouragement in this statement:

I've responded to your and Culdeus' statements, but it seems like you've figured it all out. Hopefully the scientists and centarians get the message, too.
I get that you are pretty dialed into your perspectives but the science behind, for example, Mediterranean diet and SDA has been demonstrated to be, at best, suspect and, at worst, deeply flawed by other scientists. Which is not to say their conclusions are incorrect, rather they are unsettled.

Accepting one group you believe in while rejecting another group is confirmation bias.

A good example is your response above which, for some reason you excluded the part immediately preceding the part you quoted.

Chaka said:
I appreciate that you are new to the discussion on this board and it's great that you continue posing your questions, we do love talking about this stuff. 
No one is attacking you here, don't take questioning of your positions personally.

I get that you are pretty dialed into your perspectives but the science behind, for example, Mediterranean diet and SDA has been demonstrated to be, at best, suspect and, at worst, deeply flawed by other scientists. Which is not to say their conclusions are incorrect, rather they are unsettled.

Accepting one group you believe in while rejecting another group is confirmation bias.

A good example is your response above which, for some reason you excluded the part immediately preceding the part you quoted.

No one is attacking you here, don't take questioning of your positions personally.
No, I’ve acknowledged all nutrition research is problematic. Deeply flawed is an overstatement, unless you think every major medical and nutrition group is behind a conspiracy to promote plant based diets. Meanwhile, you fail to see the same problems in the Keto world. I see no mention of faults with the PURE study, for example, which is one of the few scientific studies linked in this thread (by Culdeus).

And spare me the confirmation bias nonsense, when you’ve effectively told me you guys have discussed any and everything regarding LC diets n response to my questions. If you want another internet echo chamber, have at it.

No, I’ve acknowledged all nutrition research is problematic. Deeply flawed is an overstatement, unless you think every major medical and nutrition group is behind a conspiracy to promote plant based diets. Meanwhile, you fail to see the same problems in the Keto world. I see no mention of faults with the PURE study, for example, which is one of the few scientific studies linked in this thread (by Culdeus).

And spare me the confirmation bias nonsense, when you’ve effectively told me you guys have discussed any and everything regarding LC diets n response to my questions. If you want another internet echo chamber, have at it.
You seem angry. 

I think there might not be quite a bit of agreement in this thread between those that positively view Keto and those that are more skeptical.

1.  I think most everyone agrees that Keto can be effective for weight loss, at least in the short run.

2. I think most everyone agrees that due to a lack of long term evidence, the long-term health effects of Keto are an unknown.

3. Despite #2 above, most everyone agrees that a Keto diet is likely a better alternative to staying overweight and eating the standard American diet.

4. In the absence of a need for weight loss, I think most would recommend a more balanced diet that included healthy, non-processed carbs. 

I think there might be quite a bit of agreement in this thread between those that positively view Keto and those that are more skeptical.

1.  I think most everyone agrees that Keto can be effective for weight loss, at least in the short run.

2. I think most everyone agrees that due to a lack of long term evidence, the long-term health effects of Keto are an unknown.

3. Despite #2 above, most everyone agrees that a Keto diet is likely a better alternative to staying overweight and eating the standard American diet.

4. In the absence of a need for weight loss, I think most would recommend a more balanced diet that included healthy, non-processed carbs. 
Good summary.

Hmm... that was not my impression. 
Not sure how else to react by being characterized as overly simplistic, and being dismissed because everything I might bring to the conversation has been discussed before.

I don’t see posters repeatedly asking the same questions about Keto side effects or setbacks getting the same treatment, for example.

Nah, but I don’t like condescension. Pretty much Chakas posting style.

I am literally, not figuratively, encouraging you to keep asking questions and you're putting me on blast for, what? Pointing out some questions in your logic? Telling you that a conversation we have been having for literally, not figuratively, years may have already addressed your questions?

WitAF man?

I am literally, not figuratively, encouraging you to keep asking questions and you're putting me on blast for, what? Pointing out some questions in your logic? Telling you that a conversation we have been having for literally, not figuratively, years may have already addressed your questions?

WitAF man?
Don’t know what to tell you. Several other posters responded to me without coming across as dismissive or condescending.

The token gesture ostensibly encouraging questions was completely negated by what followed - any and everything I could ask has been asked/discussed before. Did you not think I noticed the thread was 30+ pages?

And for the record, I didn’t see my questions posed earlier in this thread. Do you expect me to cross reference every archived Keto thread before joining the conversation? Or should I scour the entire internet to ensure my thoughts are original?

Interesting review on primitive versus modern diet. More relevant for the Paleophiles than classic Keto, but informative to anyone interested in nutrition:  https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/81/2/341/4607411

The novel foods (dairy products, cereals, refined cereals, refined sugars, refined vegetable oils, fatty meats, salt, and combinations of these foods) introduced as staples during the Neolithic and Industrial Eras fundamentally altered several key nutritional characteristics of ancestral hominin diets and ultimately had far-reaching effects on health and well-being. As these foods gradually displaced the minimally processed wild plant and animal foods in hunter-gatherer diets, they adversely affected the following dietary indicators 1) glycemic load, 2), fatty acid composition, 3) macronutrient composition, 4) micronutrient density, 5) acid-base balance, 6) sodium-potassium ratio, and 7) fiber content.

Summary of the Adventist Studies: https://publichealth.llu.edu/sites/publichealth.llu.edu/files/docs/sph-ahs-overview.pdf Adventist I and II both show mortality benefit with more plant based diets. And while smoking is clearly bad, life expectancy for the rest of us still hasn't caught up with the Adventists, even though we smoke much less than 30 years ago. Plus they controlled for smoking in multivariate analysis.

I'm not advocating veganism, just pointing out long-lived populations don't eat anything like a ketogenic, or even carb-restricted diet. The "Western" diet has led to unprecedented levels of obesity and chronic disease because of heavily processed foods, many of which are rich in carbohydrates. But that doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water and massively restrict all carbs, especially when the things you're substituting aren't healthy either.
https://res.mdpi.com/religions/religions-09-00251/article_deploy/religions-09-00251.pdf?filename=&attachment=1

So I have been on and off the wagon for quite some time.....

Back on as of this morning.  I think my downfall in the past is not having options for a bread substitute.  I have made fathead dough and while I loved it it was fairly heavy for a bread.  I have also found a few low carb wraps that are decent.  I think I am going to try and whip up some cloud bread today and give that a whirl.

I do think I found a game changer though. It may be blasphemous to some but for a quick snack....... Steakums!

So I have been on and off the wagon for quite some time.....

Back on as of this morning.  I think my downfall in the past is not having options for a bread substitute.  I have made fathead dough and while I loved it it was fairly heavy for a bread.  I have also found a few low carb wraps that are decent.  I think I am going to try and whip up some cloud bread today and give that a whirl.

I do think I found a game changer though. It may be blasphemous to some but for a quick snack....... Steakums!
My wife officially is out for good now.  She just hates it and blames me - I just “push” it because it’s worked for me.   :shrug:  

I do more IF now than Keto but I still do it - still find it easy although I still end up too high protein.

My wife officially is out for good now.  She just hates it and blames me - I just “push” it because it’s worked for me.   :shrug:  

I do more IF now than Keto but I still do it - still find it easy although I still end up too high protein.
It's got to be easy for her to tag along with you right? When my wife picked up on it I was set....she stopped buying so much junk that I had to try and not eat that her joining made it easier. :lol:

Been off the rails for a week now. Lots of craziness happening in my life and I caved.

back in this morning for a 3-day fast to jumpstart and get back on track. I am writing it down to make it official in my head. Would appreciate encouragement, attaboys and fat-shaming.

ProstheticRGK said:
Been off the rails for a week now. Lots of craziness happening in my life and I caved.

back in this morning for a 3-day fast to jumpstart and get back on track. I am writing it down to make it official in my head. Would appreciate encouragement, attaboys and fat-shaming.
Will check in on you lard ###

ProstheticRGK said:

You have done like me over the years - yo-yo’d.  But you obviously got this and know what to do.  I can’t sit here and say it gets easier but the tool in our toolbox that seems different is IF or full bore fasting.  I’m finding when I head down a wrong path that IF or a full day fast gets me back.  Good luck GB - feel free to PM me.

4 days in and down 9 pounds as of this morning.  I love the honeymoon period even though it’s all water weight.

Anyone else drink Ketoaide?

4 days in and down 9 pounds as of this morning.  I love the honeymoon period even though it’s all water weight.

Anyone else drink Ketoaide?
I don't. But assuming they didn't gain the weight overnight, why does everyone seem to think rapid weight loss is a realistic goal?

Users who are viewing this thread