Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

3 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I think it's well established VLC diets are effective for relatively rapid short-term weight loss. But I don't understand why one would choose such a diet over something that is more sustainable - especially if the "spurts" result in weight yo-yoing.  

And while we all have biases, I've seen far too many people fall in love with the quick results VLC/ketogenic diets offer, while ignoring all the long term problems which can result from consuming excess animal products. 

I firmly believe that humans, Americans in particular, eat far too much red meat, chicken and pork and not enough fish (un-fried fish don't count) and plants.  But, and I think you'll agree with me as you seem to either be in a hard science field, or at the very least do a lot of research on this topic, we simply cannot rely on virtually any study related to nutrition data.  Self reporting data, as a whole not just related to nutrition science, are notoriously inaccurate across the board.  Controlling for confounding factors is a laughable process, that I witnessed first hand for years studying complex genetic diseases for 10 years,  that amounts to little more than throwing darts blindfolded (no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise).  All of this renders longitudinal studies highly suspect at best.

In vitro analyses or animal models are equally limited in their applicability, broadly or otherwise, to humans.

My only point is that there is no foundation for any strong conclusions or holding firm positions based on any existing science.  That leaves us with parsing mountains of conflicting information and ultimately, as happens with self-reporting, settling on the "data" that confirms our own inherent biases.

I no longer tell people "Eat this, not that" and the only recommendation I can make is:

"Moderation in everything, including moderation."

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

So your body is carbohydrate intolerant? What type of digestive system results?

Not sure the details would be productive to discuss, nor am I interested in such a discussion.

18 minutes ago, Chaka said:

I firmly believe that humans, Americans in particular, eat far too much red meat, chicken and pork and not enough fish (un-fried fish don't count) and plants.  But, and I think you'll agree with me as you seem to either be in a hard science field, or at the very least do a lot of research on this topic, we simply cannot rely on virtually any study related to nutrition data.  Self reporting data, as a whole not just related to nutrition science, are notoriously inaccurate across the board.  Controlling for confounding factors is a laughable process, that I witnessed first hand for years studying complex genetic diseases for 10 years,  that amounts to little more than throwing darts blindfolded (no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise).  All of this renders longitudinal studies highly suspect at best.

In vitro analyses or animal models are equally limited in their applicability, broadly or otherwise, to humans.

My only point is that there is no foundation for any strong conclusions or holding firm positions based on any existing science.  That leaves us with parsing mountains of conflicting information and ultimately, as happens with self-reporting, settling on the "data" that confirms our own inherent biases.

I no longer tell people "Eat this, not that" and the only recommendation I can make is:

"Moderation in everything, including moderation."

Agree on the limitations of nutrition research, but it's the best we got. While the data on VLC diets is still evolving, no one is arguing plant based diets aren't healthy. Moreover, I believe they're more sustainable long term - long lived populations prove this to be the case.

One of many problems I have with VLC/ketogenic diets is the lack of moderation - they nearly exclude an entire macronutrient class, after all. That's even more extreme than veganism. Regardless, Americans haven't shown a penchant for moderating unhealthy behaviors. 

20 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Not sure the details would be productive to discuss, nor am I interested in such a discussion.

Fair enough. Short of terrible malabsorption, I've just never heard of anyone completely intolerant of an entire class of macronutrient.

2 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Agree on the limitations of nutrition research, but it's the best we got. While the data on VLC diets is still evolving, no one is arguing plant based diets aren't healthy. Moreover, I believe they're more sustainable long term - long lived populations prove this to be the case.

One of many problems I have with VLC/ketogenic diets is the lack of moderation - they nearly exclude an entire macronutrient class, after all. That's even more extreme than veganism. Regardless, Americans haven't shown a penchant for moderating unhealthy behaviors. 

I agree completely although I think your definition of plant-based and mine are different.  I believe there is absolutely a place for red meat, chicken and pork in an optimal diet. Humans have simply blown the doors off of any sort of moderation/proportion in that regard.  And I would never discourage people from eating good fish even every day, although doing that properly also requires effort.

Keto diets are incredibly difficult to sustain, and incredibly effective for losing weight quickly, but they don't have to exclude plants by any means.  For example it would take a little over 3 pounds of spinach to hit the typical keto ceiling of 50 g of carbs/day.  There are a ton of lower carb, higher fiber veggies that allow for sustaining keto (cauliflower, jicama, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage etc.).  But that goes to the issue of long term sustainability, you have to put a ton more effort into meal prep and most people simply aren't willing to do that so they eat bacon and cheese between two chicken breast "sandwiches" and call it a meal.  That type of eating I certainly would not endorse (except maybe on a late Saturday night grind or Sunday morning hangover cure).

For my last round of keto I spent about 2 weeks prior to starting keto finding recipes, meal planning, preparing, vacuum sealing and freezing 30 days worth of meals and snacks (having readily available keto snacks is absolutely necessary for when a craving hits). Each recipe was chosen to maximize fiber and vegetable consumption and keeping saturated fat consumption as low as possible while maintaining ketogenesis.  Sure it went well but it was a ton of work and I never considered spending another couple weeks preparing/sealing/freezing more meals to keep it going longer.  It was a #### ton of work.

3 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I don’t think the risk of consuming excess animal protein is minuscule, and I wouldn’t compare it to the worst non-animal alternatives. I’m not advocating veganism either; rather primarily a plant-based diet, including fruits, legumes and whole grains that are demonized in the keto world. And fish appears to be the most healthful animal product.

I didn’t say risk with excess - that’s part of the problem - there’s a difference in having steak once a week vs. every night.  Also, if you are following Keto then by definition you aren’t eating excessive protein.  I’ve yet to see a study that accounts for confounders that shows that normal Keto-level animal protein shows a major risk.  

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

So your body is carbohydrate intolerant? What type of digestive system results?

I won’t speak for BD but for me I have no issues with plant carbs but have lots of issues with refined carbs, both from how it makes me feel to being addicted.  I think most of us in here don’t say, don’t each vegetables.  As for fruit, I limit fruit now to berries.  Our Frankenfruit is much sweeter than in the past - not saying they are bad for you but people eating 2-3 bananas aren’t doing themselves much good.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 7:41 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
1 Week Check In - 189.5
2 Week Check In - 186
Weekly Loss - 3.5
Loss to Date - 9

In response to the last few posts, it's not just the rapid weight loss I fall in love with on this diet (and by diet, I mean the general term of what I am eating).  The way my body feels when I eat like this is just as reaffirming.

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Weekly Loss - 2.5 (gain)
Loss to Date - 6.5

Had a week out of town with great food, and eating out breakfast lunch and dinner.  Keto made it the whole 1 day + breakfast day 2 before I fell off the wagon.  Not totally loving the gain, but figure it is a small blip on the long term trend I hope to keep up.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Weekly Loss - 2.5 (gain)
Loss to Date - 6.5

Had a week out of town with great food, and eating out breakfast lunch and dinner.  Keto made it the whole 1 day + breakfast day 2 before I fell off the wagon.  Not totally loving the gain, but figure it is a small blip on the long term trend I hope to keep up.

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Weekly Loss - 2
Loss to Date - 8.5

Had too many cheat meals last week (2), which stalled what should/could have been more significant progress.  Went to Sam's over the weekend to restock up on good snacks, which helps keep me on track.  Four week trend is still negative which is the goal.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 1 - 189.5
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Weekly Loss - 4
Loss to Date - 12.5
Last Four Week Trend - 7

Did not expect this kind of loss five week in, but I had a unique weekend.  I busted my but over the weekend doing a lot of physical work.  I was in a constant state of hunger, but figured with all of the work, I was needing some extra carbs.  I didn't go overboard, like eating chips and junk, but I definitely was over 50 carbs both days.  I figure I'll plateau this week a bit.

Day 1 - 195
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5

Big loss last week, so not surprise, but definitely happy with this past weeks results.

Any of my Keto brothers in the Twin Cities?  There is a little local ice cream shop that makes Keto friendly ice cream called Luvs.  They have dairy and vegan variety (definitely try the dairy varieties unless you are actually vegan).  They sell in their little shop in my home town, and they are also in a few grocery stores, not sure how far their reach is.  The first time I tried them, the store only had the vegan varieties, which I tried and they were ok.  Finally went to the shop to try the dairy options, and holy cow they were awesome.  Only 4 carbs per half cup.  Good stuff.

• Like 2

Did pretty well on keto last year, got side tracked, and am back again. Dropped 60-65 pounds last time, gained 30 back, and lost half of that already. This time around, I am not as steadfast to count every carb and do things 100% according to the plan. But I am struggling with upset stomach / digestive issues. The first time, that hit me at the beginning but mostly went away. This time it's not going away.

I have the symptoms of having IBS, and there are lists of things to avoid eating . . . which include a lot of what I eat: milk products, cheese, coffee, sparkling water, sugar substitutes, nuts, seeds, fatty foods, broccoli and other veggies, fruits, chocolate (I eat dark chocolate for a snack / desert), and spicy foods (my wife loves Mexican). So sure, I am losing weight again, but this time I feel "ungood" almost all the time.

Anyone else experience this and did it go away or did you have to start eating different foods to overcome it?

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:16 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 2 - 186.0
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5

Big loss last week, so not surprise, but definitely happy with this past weeks results.

Any of my Keto brothers in the Twin Cities?  There is a little local ice cream shop that makes Keto friendly ice cream called Luvs.  They have dairy and vegan variety (definitely try the dairy varieties unless you are actually vegan).  They sell in their little shop in my home town, and they are also in a few grocery stores, not sure how far their reach is.  The first time I tried them, the store only had the vegan varieties, which I tried and they were ok.  Finally went to the shop to try the dairy options, and holy cow they were awesome.  Only 4 carbs per half cup.  Good stuff.

Day 1 - 195
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 15.5
Last Four Week Trend - 9

Wife and I are making a list of Keto friendly restaurants.  With the kids getting older, we are going out just the two of us more often.  We have a small list to cycle through, and hopefully find some more.  It's good to go to a place where you know you can eat off a specific section without worrying about modifying the preparation, or not eating something that comes on your plate.

• Like 3

does anyone have a good link/app/book for keto, I'm planning on going all in with this but it's a bit overwhelming.

52 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

does anyone have a good link/app/book for keto, I'm planning on going all in with this but it's a bit overwhelming.

Yes

2 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Keerock's review is a fine start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not on a keto diet per se but close. One thing that has been awesome in helping keep to it has been Trader Joe's Jalapeno Sauce. Keto friendly and kicks rear end. 

On 7/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 3 - 188.5
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Weekly Loss - 1.5
Loss to Date - 15.5
Last Four Week Trend - 9

Wife and I are making a list of Keto friendly restaurants.  With the kids getting older, we are going out just the two of us more often.  We have a small list to cycle through, and hopefully find some more.  It's good to go to a place where you know you can eat off a specific section without worrying about modifying the preparation, or not eating something that comes on your plate.

Day 1 - 195
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5 gain
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5.5

Youngest' birthday was Monday, which resulted in two birthday dinners out, which resulted into caving into temptation for desserts twice.  Also had a BBQ with the neighbors on Friday.  First time we got together with them all summer, so I ate all the carbs.  Fully knocked out of ketosis I'm sure.  Need to be strict this week again.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 4 - 186.5
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Weekly Loss - 1.5 gain
Loss to Date - 14
Last Four Week Trend - 5.5

Youngest' birthday was Monday, which resulted in two birthday dinners out, which resulted into caving into temptation for desserts twice.  Also had a BBQ with the neighbors on Friday.  First time we got together with them all summer, so I ate all the carbs.  Fully knocked out of ketosis I'm sure.  Need to be strict this week again.

I’m going to tighten up on the diet the next couple weeks. Vacations and stress have gotten the better of me lately.  You had a very nice drop - I’m betting you can get through that next plateau and into the 170s consistently. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 5 - 182.5
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Weekly Loss - 2.5
Loss to Date - 16.5
Last Four Week Trend - 4 lb loss

Nice to lose the small bump I encountered last week, plus some.  Didn't have a great weekend, but did have some of my favorite foods.  Keto ice cream parlor in my neighborhood on Saturday to pick up a couple of pints.  While we were there, we had their keto Strawberry shortcake (pretty good) and a keto chocolate chip scone (great).  Split both with my wife.  Then on Sunday, we went to the farmer's market (our summer Sunday tradition).  One of the vendors is a keto baker, and we tried the keto doughnuts (pretty good) and keto chocolate fudge w/avocado brownies (pretty good).  Then Sunday night dinner was my favorite wings place.  Would be surprised to see a little bump the first part of the week, but I always do better during the week.

Haven't done anything for exercise in a couple of months other than occasional walks with the dog.  I have an abdominal hernia that needs surgery.  I'm hoping to get down closer to 170 (have a few projects I can't take time off for a while right now), have surgery, then add in some limited weight lifting, which will require upping carbs a bit.

• Like 1

Going keto for the first time. Been intermittent fasting for a while and would rate myself 8 out of 10 on nutritional knowledge. But I'm all-in on ketogenesis right now for the first time ever. I'll be fasting during the day with pickle juice, powerade zero, and snake juice electrolyte powder to keep me going/hydrated throughout the daily fast. I'll also do an ECA stack during the day with daily workouts. Zero alcohol will be involved, and sex will be a couple times a week (ideally I'd go no sex to keep my "drive" at 100%, but my girlfriend would probably kill me). Also am trying the snake juice thing for the first time after finding it on Amazon as it simply appears to be electrolytes, salt and potassium - but I'm not trying to endorse it. Powerade zero isn't bad, but not trying to endorse it. I will definitely endorse pickle juice though. Can't think of anything else. OK cheers wish me luck.

• Like 4

Welp. My turn. I have been carrying 214-216 for a couple months. It was a slow increase that started after the holidays. I need to be sub 200. I love 190. I'm going to fast my way into ketosis. My last meal was 16 hours ago, a steak and mushroom omelette, toast with butter and jelly, almost 32 oz of fresh squeezed OJ.. I spoiled myself. I ran five miles, swam until I was exhausted and I will wake up in 8 hours and do it again. No food tomorrow. Maybe no food the next day. I want to get in ketosis asap. THEN try a very green, very low calorie, low carb, diet. Not sure how that works, but I am ready to starve myself to 195 if necessary. Been there done that, soooo.

• Like 1

Day 1 - 195
Week 6 - 181
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Weekly Loss - 1.5 Gain
Loss to Date - 15
Last Four Week Trend - 1 lb loss

My goal has been a four week trend measurement.  1 pound lost for the month, so just barely.  I did have a couple of cheat this past week, and I also started lifting three days a week.  I'm sure that resulted in a little bit of water weight gain.  I'm using the scale as a long term measuring stick, not an instant gratification tool, so I'm ok with this plateau.  I'm more concerned with the mirror.  Will try to clean stuff up this week and see if I drop some more next week.  The reality is though I'm enjoying eating this way still and it would be inconceivable to creep back up to 200 while sticking to the plan.

• Like 2

6 am, 22 hrs no food. Going to hit the trail before it gets too hot in the desert. I can't stop thinking of keto snacks. I may not make the fast goal, but I will be ultra low cal regardless.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, Chaka said:

I agree completely although I think your definition of plant-based and mine are different.  I believe there is absolutely a place for red meat, chicken and pork in an optimal diet. Humans have simply blown the doors off of any sort of moderation/proportion in that regard.  And I would never discourage people from eating good fish even every day, although doing that properly also requires effort.

Keto diets are incredibly difficult to sustain, and incredibly effective for losing weight quickly, but they don't have to exclude plants by any means.  For example it would take a little over 3 pounds of spinach to hit the typical keto ceiling of 50 g of carbs/day.  There are a ton of lower carb, higher fiber veggies that allow for sustaining keto (cauliflower, jicama, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage etc.).  But that goes to the issue of long term sustainability, you have to put a ton more effort into meal prep and most people simply aren't willing to do that so they eat bacon and cheese between two chicken breast "sandwiches" and call it a meal.  That type of eating I certainly would not endorse (except maybe on a late Saturday night grind or Sunday morning hangover cure).

For my last round of keto I spent about 2 weeks prior to starting keto finding recipes, meal planning, preparing, vacuum sealing and freezing 30 days worth of meals and snacks (having readily available keto snacks is absolutely necessary for when a craving hits). Each recipe was chosen to maximize fiber and vegetable consumption and keeping saturated fat consumption as low as possible while maintaining ketogenesis.  Sure it went well but it was a ton of work and I never considered spending another couple weeks preparing/sealing/freezing more meals to keep it going longer.  It was a #### ton of work.

Snack suggestions?

2 hours ago, Zow said:

Snack suggestions?

i'll put equal parts cheese cubes, dry salami cubes, olives, pecans, and pepperoncini in a bowl and be very satisfied.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, ChainsawU said:

(ideally I'd go no sex to keep my "drive" at 100%, but my girlfriend would probably kill me)

Said no to her coming over tonight just now and she's having a little hissy fit as a result. Destroyed the day after a B12 shot this morning; ran errands and logged 30 minutes cardio at the gym followed by 50 minutes of lifting. So it's an INCREDIBLE keto day so far - still haven't eaten food since the beef tenderloin before bed last night. All I need is a meal and about 11 hours of sleep to parlay this sick run into tomorrow and she just doesn't understand :kicksrock:

On 8/19/2019 at 5:58 AM, Chaos Commish said:

6 am, 22 hrs no food. Going to hit the trail before it gets too hot in the desert. I can't stop thinking of keto snacks. I may not make the fast goal, but I will be ultra low cal regardless.

Over three days (86 hours or thereabouts), I have had... cottage cheese and walnuts, a bigass smoked salmon salad, a banana, a cheese omelette. That's it. Deep into ketosis and feeling great. I'll wait until Monday (one week), to step on the scale, but I'm pretty sure mission accomplished if I keep the cals this low. 

On 8/19/2019 at 1:51 AM, Chaos Commish said:

Welp. My turn. I have been carrying 214-216 for a couple months. It was a slow increase that started after the holidays. I need to be sub 200. I love 190. I'm going to fast my way into ketosis. My last meal was 16 hours ago, a steak and mushroom omelette, toast with butter and jelly, almost 32 oz of fresh squeezed OJ.. I spoiled myself. I ran five miles, swam until I was exhausted and I will wake up in 8 hours and do it again. No food tomorrow. Maybe no food the next day. I want to get in ketosis asap. THEN try a very green, very low calorie, low carb, diet. Not sure how that works, but I am ready to starve myself to 195 if necessary. Been there done that, soooo.

:hifive:

You sound like me.

Every October I have to do a health screening for my company-provided health insurance. There are three health targets that if met, I get a $50 discount per target per month. So there is a significant $$ incentive to meet these health targets. 1) is to simply do the health screening. 2) is to test negative for nicotine. And 3) is to be <= 27.5 BMI. Obviously the first two are easy. It's the BMI that always gives me trouble.

Last year I went from ~215 lbs down to 192 lbs in roughly 6 weeks by strict dieting/starvation/exercise. I didn't meet the BMI target. My BMI was 28.1, but there is an additional waist measurement clause for those with larger body frames. (Not saying I am a bodybuilder, but low-body-fat-% bodybuilders would never make the ideal BMI indices due to such large frames.) Luckily my waist  measurement was small enough to meet this requirement, and I achieved all three targets last year. I am ahead of schedule this year. Got back from a month in Italy at the end of July. Weighed in at around 215 lbs again. Started Keto and am now already down to ~205. So I have about 6-7 weeks to lose another 15-20 lbs to reach my goal of 185-190 lbs.

Come September, I will be doing more crash dieting and strict calorie restriction to drop more weight. And then once I do my health screening in October, I'm sure that I will revert back to my ####ty and otherwise unhealthy lifestyle.

Slightly fell off the horse last night.  I was craving chocolate big time the night before, and we didn't have any dark chocolate in the house.  We had a chocolate s'mores bar in the cupboard someone got as a gift but never ate.  I literally stared at it for three minutes trying to fight the temptation.  I won, and should have just thrown it in the trash.  It's been in the cupboard so long, obviously no one else wants it.  Last night I was craving still, so I tore into it.  I ate half of it (probably the amount of a regular sized candy bar) and it was heavenly.  Not five minutes later my gut felt like crap and I had a headache.

Will be getting some dark chocolate to have on hand this weekend to curb the cravings in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Skerritt said:

You sound like me.

Every October I have to do a health screening for my company-provided health insurance. There are three health targets that if met, I get a $50 discount per target per month. So there is a significant $$ incentive to meet these health targets. 1) is to simply do the health screening. 2) is to test negative for nicotine. And 3) is to be <= 27.5 BMI. Obviously the first two are easy. It's the BMI that always gives me trouble.

Last year I went from ~215 lbs down to 192 lbs in roughly 6 weeks by strict dieting/starvation/exercise. I didn't meet the BMI target. My BMI was 28.1, but there is an additional waist measurement clause for those with larger body frames. (Not saying I am a bodybuilder, but low-body-fat-% bodybuilders would never make the ideal BMI indices due to such large frames.) Luckily my waist  measurement was small enough to meet this requirement, and I achieved all three targets last year. I am ahead of schedule this year. Got back from a month in Italy at the end of July. Weighed in at around 215 lbs again. Started Keto and am now already down to ~205. So I have about 6-7 weeks to lose another 15-20 lbs to reach my goal of 185-190 lbs.

Come September, I will be doing more crash dieting and strict calorie restriction to drop more weight. And then once I do my health screening in October, I'm sure that I will revert back to my ####ty and otherwise unhealthy lifestyle.

Kind of silly to measure BMI as a health target, imo.  If you have any sort of muscle mass, you're BMI is going to be higher.  You could be ripped with 5% body fat but have a high BMI if you lift some.

Tell HR to fix their system.  Maybe do body fat percentage instead?

37 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Kind of silly to measure BMI as a health target, imo.  If you have any sort of muscle mass, you're BMI is going to be higher.  You could be ripped with 5% body fat but have a high BMI if you lift some.

Agreed. Which is why I mentioned the waist measurement clause. Low body fat % (and small waist measurement) effectively helps those with higher muscle mass. 

Edited by Tom Skerritt
  • Like 1

Day 1 - 195
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Weekly Loss - 1.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 16.5
Last Four Week Trend - 1 lb loss

Continuing the 1 lb loss over 4 weeks that I've been doing the last couple of weeks.  Essentially a plateau.  Definitely have 10-15 pounds more I could lose around the middle, but I don't care about the pace at this point.  I have no plans to go off the "diet" at any point anymore.  It's how i would prefer to eat until I have a need to change.  Did cheat again a couple of times this week.  I don't let it get me off track for more than that one meal though, which helps.

I should probably take some "now" pictures and compare to the end of the winter.  That's always my tough time, but I will not be coaching basketball this winter for the first time in a long time (no weekends at tournaments, and crazy schedules during the week).  Would like to keep up to my manageable lifting routine I'm doing.  Hopefully I can start next spring at a point where I absolutely refuse to take my shirt off for the summer.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2019 at 5:35 AM, eoMMan said:

Everyone jumps on the limitations of BMI, but a bunch of data supports it correlating to health outcomes. The vast majority of people don’t have enough muscle mass to skew the results.

6 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

Everyone jumps on the limitations of BMI, but a bunch of data supports it correlating to health outcomes. The vast majority of people don’t have enough muscle mass to skew the results.

Of course....because the vast majority of people don't lift.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Of course....because the vast majority of people don't lift.  

Even the ones who lift aren’t usually in the obese BMI range; it’s ~5% for men and 1% for women. BMI is actually more likely to underreport obesity compared to body composition analysis, but every work out warrior wants to discredit it because they believe their beer gut is mostly muscle.

Edited by Terminalxylem

On 8/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, Bull Dozier said:

Slightly fell off the horse last night.  I was craving chocolate big time the night before, and we didn't have any dark chocolate in the house.  We had a chocolate s'mores bar in the cupboard someone got as a gift but never ate.  I literally stared at it for three minutes trying to fight the temptation.  I won, and should have just thrown it in the trash.  It's been in the cupboard so long, obviously no one else wants it.  Last night I was craving still, so I tore into it.  I ate half of it (probably the amount of a regular sized candy bar) and it was heavenly.  Not five minutes later my gut felt like crap and I had a headache.

Will be getting some dark chocolate to have on hand this weekend to curb the cravings in the future.

I don't know if you drink coffee or not but this stuff will definitely give you a chocolate fix. It is a nice, rich, and decadent cup of chocolate coffee. I use it to make my iced coffees throughout the work week. Found it at Publix.

Barnie's Cafe Mocha Truffle

9 hours ago, In The Zone said:

I don't know if you drink coffee or not but this stuff will definitely give you a chocolate fix. It is a nice, rich, and decadent cup of chocolate coffee. I use it to make my iced coffees throughout the work week. Found it at Publix.

Barnie's Cafe Mocha Truffle

Definitely would have given that a try when I drank coffee, but I've given up caffeine as well.

Figured a solution to the chocolate cravings.  I made a batch of Keto Puppy Chow*.  I first made it a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't have enough of all the ingredients, so I made a half batch, which I ate all in one sitting.  It was too much, and I was just eating the last few pieces because I didn't think it was enough to save.  I made a full batch last night, and just had a few pieces.  It is sweet and rich enough to curb the craving with just that, and in that small amount, negligible carbs so no worries.

*Ingredients
Natural peanut butter
Butter
Coconut oil
unsweetened baking chocolate powder
Stevia
Vanilla
Pork rinds

• Like 2

Back on the wagon. Need to make this stick.

I fall too much into my old habits.

I find that I can do keto easily for about 6 weeks.   So I may try.   6 weeks on.  1 week eating regular but not like a 🐖 then back on.  

• Like 2

Day 1 - 195
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Weekly Loss - 0.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 17.0
Last Four Week Trend - 3 lb loss

Downward trend continues, slowly bu surely (partially artificial as week 7 weight in was 178.5).  Would have been lower, but Sunday consisted of a trip to the Minnesota State Fair, and consuming all the carbs, followed up by a family get together at my parents which included some more carbs and beer.  Tonight is my fantasy draft which will include less than clean eating.  Hoping to just maintain this week and not backslide.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bull Dozier said:

Day 1 - 195
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Weekly Loss - 0.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 17.0
Last Four Week Trend - 3 lb loss

Downward trend continues, slowly bu surely (partially artificial as week 7 weight in was 178.5).  Would have been lower, but Sunday consisted of a trip to the Minnesota State Fair, and consuming all the carbs, followed up by a family get together at my parents which included some more carbs and beer.  Tonight is my fantasy draft which will include less than clean eating.  Hoping to just maintain this week and not backslide.

For serious, stick to wings if possible. Make sure they are not crappy breaded 

Junk food that is "keto friendly".  This is my go to crap food craving

58 minutes ago, belljr said:

For serious, stick to wings if possible. Make sure they are not crappy breaded 

Junk food that is "keto friendly".  This is my go to crap food craving

Normally, the host buys a bunch of food with the left over money from the previous year.  This year he didn't have time, so he is just ordering pizzas.  I of course can bring my own food.  But, I also know after just a piece or two I'll be full, so I know I can't go too overboard.

5 hours ago, ChainsawU said:

a byproduct of this diet is that my flossing game is a lot less vile; no sugar to procreate

yeah, my teeth are all shiny and pearly, doing keto. hidden benefit

• Thanks 1

So weighed myself this morning after starting Monday.  Now I know the number is inflated coming right off vacation but down 5 lol

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1

Day 1 - 195
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Week 13 - 177
Weekly Loss - 1.0 Loss
Loss to Date - 18.0
Last Four Week Trend - 0.5 lb loss

Despite my fantasy draft, and a second cheat meal, cheat snacks, and a week long struggle of a poorly stocked kitchen, I managed another 1 lb loss.  This kept the 4 week trend continuing in the right direction, even if just slightly.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 5:14 AM, Tom Skerritt said:

You sound like me.

Just quoting you because you quoted me and I wanted to update, with a comment. It took me a little longer than I wanted, and I was only ketogenic about ten days give or take. But the weight came off easily. I was 216. I am 192 this morning and have been for a week.. I feel great. 

I dropped 100 pounds over a decade ago, from 300 to 200. I go up and down annually... if i see 215 I get serious, like this year. BUT. Not bragging. In fact a little sad how much some of you struggle with this. It's easy guys. Man up. Sweets are for girls. Food is just fuel and you never need a full tank. You run better on a half tank. A second alcoholic beverage is counterproductive to everything in life. Booze is for fools. I won't have the first anymore. Gawd I love being the sober guy. Good luck, MEN. Get lean. Fat is ugly and deadly. 

• Like 1

My name is Cosjobs and I am a fat ###.

After 50 years, I quit smoking six weeks ago. I have gained 20# in that time.

Add on the 15 I gained since last challenge and now my fat is fat.

It's been 1 1/2 days since I've enjoyed bread or sugar or beer. Do I get a chip or something?

• Love 1