What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (2 Viewers)

6 am, 22 hrs no food. Going to hit the trail before it gets too hot in the desert. I can't stop thinking of keto snacks. I may not make the fast goal, but I will be ultra low cal regardless.

I agree completely although I think your definition of plant-based and mine are different.  I believe there is absolutely a place for red meat, chicken and pork in an optimal diet. Humans have simply blown the doors off of any sort of moderation/proportion in that regard.  And I would never discourage people from eating good fish even every day, although doing that properly also requires effort.

Keto diets are incredibly difficult to sustain, and incredibly effective for losing weight quickly, but they don't have to exclude plants by any means.  For example it would take a little over 3 pounds of spinach to hit the typical keto ceiling of 50 g of carbs/day.  There are a ton of lower carb, higher fiber veggies that allow for sustaining keto (cauliflower, jicama, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage etc.).  But that goes to the issue of long term sustainability, you have to put a ton more effort into meal prep and most people simply aren't willing to do that so they eat bacon and cheese between two chicken breast "sandwiches" and call it a meal.  That type of eating I certainly would not endorse (except maybe on a late Saturday night grind or Sunday morning hangover cure).

For my last round of keto I spent about 2 weeks prior to starting keto finding recipes, meal planning, preparing, vacuum sealing and freezing 30 days worth of meals and snacks (having readily available keto snacks is absolutely necessary for when a craving hits). Each recipe was chosen to maximize fiber and vegetable consumption and keeping saturated fat consumption as low as possible while maintaining ketogenesis.  Sure it went well but it was a ton of work and I never considered spending another couple weeks preparing/sealing/freezing more meals to keep it going longer.  It was a #### ton of work.
Snack suggestions?

(ideally I'd go no sex to keep my "drive" at 100%, but my girlfriend would probably kill me)
Said no to her coming over tonight just now and she's having a little hissy fit as a result. Destroyed the day after a B12 shot this morning; ran errands and logged 30 minutes cardio at the gym followed by 50 minutes of lifting. So it's an INCREDIBLE keto day so far - still haven't eaten food since the beef tenderloin before bed last night. All I need is a meal and about 11 hours of sleep to parlay this sick run into tomorrow and she just doesn't understand :kicksrock:

6 am, 22 hrs no food. Going to hit the trail before it gets too hot in the desert. I can't stop thinking of keto snacks. I may not make the fast goal, but I will be ultra low cal regardless.
Over three days (86 hours or thereabouts), I have had... cottage cheese and walnuts, a bigass smoked salmon salad, a banana, a cheese omelette. That's it. Deep into ketosis and feeling great. I'll wait until Monday (one week), to step on the scale, but I'm pretty sure mission accomplished if I keep the cals this low. 

Welp. My turn. I have been carrying 214-216 for a couple months. It was a slow increase that started after the holidays. I need to be sub 200. I love 190. I'm going to fast my way into ketosis. My last meal was 16 hours ago, a steak and mushroom omelette, toast with butter and jelly, almost 32 oz of fresh squeezed OJ.. I spoiled myself. I ran five miles, swam until I was exhausted and I will wake up in 8 hours and do it again. No food tomorrow. Maybe no food the next day. I want to get in ketosis asap. THEN try a very green, very low calorie, low carb, diet. Not sure how that works, but I am ready to starve myself to 195 if necessary. Been there done that, soooo.
:hifive:

You sound like me.

Every October I have to do a health screening for my company-provided health insurance. There are three health targets that if met, I get a $50 discount per target per month. So there is a significant $$ incentive to meet these health targets. 1) is to simply do the health screening. 2) is to test negative for nicotine. And 3) is to be <= 27.5 BMI. Obviously the first two are easy. It's the BMI that always gives me trouble.

Last year I went from ~215 lbs down to 192 lbs in roughly 6 weeks by strict dieting/starvation/exercise. I didn't meet the BMI target. My BMI was 28.1, but there is an additional waist measurement clause for those with larger body frames. (Not saying I am a bodybuilder, but low-body-fat-% bodybuilders would never make the ideal BMI indices due to such large frames.) Luckily my waist  measurement was small enough to meet this requirement, and I achieved all three targets last year. I am ahead of schedule this year. Got back from a month in Italy at the end of July. Weighed in at around 215 lbs again. Started Keto and am now already down to ~205. So I have about 6-7 weeks to lose another 15-20 lbs to reach my goal of 185-190 lbs.

Come September, I will be doing more crash dieting and strict calorie restriction to drop more weight. And then once I do my health screening in October, I'm sure that I will revert back to my ####ty and otherwise unhealthy lifestyle.

Slightly fell off the horse last night.  I was craving chocolate big time the night before, and we didn't have any dark chocolate in the house.  We had a chocolate s'mores bar in the cupboard someone got as a gift but never ate.  I literally stared at it for three minutes trying to fight the temptation.  I won, and should have just thrown it in the trash.  It's been in the cupboard so long, obviously no one else wants it.  Last night I was craving still, so I tore into it.  I ate half of it (probably the amount of a regular sized candy bar) and it was heavenly.  Not five minutes later my gut felt like crap and I had a headache.

Will be getting some dark chocolate to have on hand this weekend to curb the cravings in the future.

Tom Skerritt said:

You sound like me.

Every October I have to do a health screening for my company-provided health insurance. There are three health targets that if met, I get a $50 discount per target per month. So there is a significant $$ incentive to meet these health targets. 1) is to simply do the health screening. 2) is to test negative for nicotine. And 3) is to be <= 27.5 BMI. Obviously the first two are easy. It's the BMI that always gives me trouble.

Last year I went from ~215 lbs down to 192 lbs in roughly 6 weeks by strict dieting/starvation/exercise. I didn't meet the BMI target. My BMI was 28.1, but there is an additional waist measurement clause for those with larger body frames. (Not saying I am a bodybuilder, but low-body-fat-% bodybuilders would never make the ideal BMI indices due to such large frames.) Luckily my waist  measurement was small enough to meet this requirement, and I achieved all three targets last year. I am ahead of schedule this year. Got back from a month in Italy at the end of July. Weighed in at around 215 lbs again. Started Keto and am now already down to ~205. So I have about 6-7 weeks to lose another 15-20 lbs to reach my goal of 185-190 lbs.

Come September, I will be doing more crash dieting and strict calorie restriction to drop more weight. And then once I do my health screening in October, I'm sure that I will revert back to my ####ty and otherwise unhealthy lifestyle.
Kind of silly to measure BMI as a health target, imo.  If you have any sort of muscle mass, you're BMI is going to be higher.  You could be ripped with 5% body fat but have a high BMI if you lift some.

Tell HR to fix their system.  Maybe do body fat percentage instead?

Kind of silly to measure BMI as a health target, imo.  If you have any sort of muscle mass, you're BMI is going to be higher.  You could be ripped with 5% body fat but have a high BMI if you lift some.

Agreed. Which is why I mentioned the waist measurement clause. Low body fat % (and small waist measurement) effectively helps those with higher muscle mass. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 1 - 195
Week 7 - 179.5
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Weekly Loss - 1.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 16.5
Last Four Week Trend - 1 lb loss

Continuing the 1 lb loss over 4 weeks that I've been doing the last couple of weeks.  Essentially a plateau.  Definitely have 10-15 pounds more I could lose around the middle, but I don't care about the pace at this point.  I have no plans to go off the "diet" at any point anymore.  It's how i would prefer to eat until I have a need to change.  Did cheat again a couple of times this week.  I don't let it get me off track for more than that one meal though, which helps.

I should probably take some "now" pictures and compare to the end of the winter.  That's always my tough time, but I will not be coaching basketball this winter for the first time in a long time (no weekends at tournaments, and crazy schedules during the week).  Would like to keep up to my manageable lifting routine I'm doing.  Hopefully I can start next spring at a point where I absolutely refuse to take my shirt off for the summer.

Everyone jumps on the limitations of BMI, but a bunch of data supports it correlating to health outcomes. The vast majority of people don’t have enough muscle mass to skew the results.

Of course....because the vast majority of people don't lift.  
Even the ones who lift aren’t usually in the obese BMI range; it’s ~5% for men and 1% for women. BMI is actually more likely to underreport obesity compared to body composition analysis, but every work out warrior wants to discredit it because they believe their beer gut is mostly muscle.

Slightly fell off the horse last night.  I was craving chocolate big time the night before, and we didn't have any dark chocolate in the house.  We had a chocolate s'mores bar in the cupboard someone got as a gift but never ate.  I literally stared at it for three minutes trying to fight the temptation.  I won, and should have just thrown it in the trash.  It's been in the cupboard so long, obviously no one else wants it.  Last night I was craving still, so I tore into it.  I ate half of it (probably the amount of a regular sized candy bar) and it was heavenly.  Not five minutes later my gut felt like crap and I had a headache.

Will be getting some dark chocolate to have on hand this weekend to curb the cravings in the future.
I don't know if you drink coffee or not but this stuff will definitely give you a chocolate fix. It is a nice, rich, and decadent cup of chocolate coffee. I use it to make my iced coffees throughout the work week. Found it at Publix.

Barnie's Cafe Mocha Truffle

Figured a solution to the chocolate cravings.  I made a batch of Keto Puppy Chow*.  I first made it a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't have enough of all the ingredients, so I made a half batch, which I ate all in one sitting.  It was too much, and I was just eating the last few pieces because I didn't think it was enough to save.  I made a full batch last night, and just had a few pieces.  It is sweet and rich enough to curb the craving with just that, and in that small amount, negligible carbs so no worries.

*Ingredients
Natural peanut butter
Butter
Coconut oil
unsweetened baking chocolate powder
Stevia
Vanilla
Pork rinds

Back on the wagon. Need to make this stick.

I fall too much into my old habits.

I find that I can do keto easily for about 6 weeks.   So I may try.   6 weeks on.  1 week eating regular but not like a 🐖 then back on.  

Day 1 - 195
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Weekly Loss - 0.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 17.0
Last Four Week Trend - 3 lb loss

Downward trend continues, slowly bu surely (partially artificial as week 7 weight in was 178.5).  Would have been lower, but Sunday consisted of a trip to the Minnesota State Fair, and consuming all the carbs, followed up by a family get together at my parents which included some more carbs and beer.  Tonight is my fantasy draft which will include less than clean eating.  Hoping to just maintain this week and not backslide.

Day 1 - 195
Week 8 - 181
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Weekly Loss - 0.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 17.0
Last Four Week Trend - 3 lb loss

Downward trend continues, slowly bu surely (partially artificial as week 7 weight in was 178.5).  Would have been lower, but Sunday consisted of a trip to the Minnesota State Fair, and consuming all the carbs, followed up by a family get together at my parents which included some more carbs and beer.  Tonight is my fantasy draft which will include less than clean eating.  Hoping to just maintain this week and not backslide.
For serious, stick to wings if possible. Make sure they are not crappy breaded 

Junk food that is "keto friendly".  This is my go to crap food craving

For serious, stick to wings if possible. Make sure they are not crappy breaded 

Junk food that is "keto friendly".  This is my go to crap food craving
Normally, the host buys a bunch of food with the left over money from the previous year.  This year he didn't have time, so he is just ordering pizzas.  I of course can bring my own food.  But, I also know after just a piece or two I'll be full, so I know I can't go too overboard.

So weighed myself this morning after starting Monday.  Now I know the number is inflated coming right off vacation but down 5 lol

Day 1 - 195
Week 9 - 178.5
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Week 13 - 177
Weekly Loss - 1.0 Loss
Loss to Date - 18.0
Last Four Week Trend - 0.5 lb loss

Despite my fantasy draft, and a second cheat meal, cheat snacks, and a week long struggle of a poorly stocked kitchen, I managed another 1 lb loss.  This kept the 4 week trend continuing in the right direction, even if just slightly.

You sound like me.

Just quoting you because you quoted me and I wanted to update, with a comment. It took me a little longer than I wanted, and I was only ketogenic about ten days give or take. But the weight came off easily. I was 216. I am 192 this morning and have been for a week.. I feel great. 

I dropped 100 pounds over a decade ago, from 300 to 200. I go up and down annually... if i see 215 I get serious, like this year. BUT. Not bragging. In fact a little sad how much some of you struggle with this. It's easy guys. Man up. Sweets are for girls. Food is just fuel and you never need a full tank. You run better on a half tank. A second alcoholic beverage is counterproductive to everything in life. Booze is for fools. I won't have the first anymore. Gawd I love being the sober guy. Good luck, MEN. Get lean. Fat is ugly and deadly. 

My name is Cosjobs and I am a fat ###.

After 50 years, I quit smoking six weeks ago. I have gained 20# in that time.

Add on the 15 I gained since last challenge and now my fat is fat.

It's been 1 1/2 days since I've enjoyed bread or sugar or beer. Do I get a chip or something?

I’m really struggling to come up with something that motivates me these days. Mrs O hates when I do keto—she believes it’s not heart healthy—but I figure there’s a way to do it without really letting on (I can just basically tell her I’m avoiding carbs and sugar for a while). 

Maybe I’ll give this a shot. Silent Keto. 

cosjobs said:

It's been 1 1/2 days since I've enjoyed bread or sugar or beer. Do I get a chip or something?
Chips aren't allowed either, unless they are cheese chips.

Order some Wisps (they even sell them at airports now) dip them in the hottest ####### salsa ever. 
That's my secret weapon; eat something with a salsa as hot as the sun. It'll keep you occupied enough until you don't feel like eating anymore, but you'll only be able to have like five bites.  

cosjobs said:

I will give you a 1.5 day chip....Congrats! Now go eat some steak.

Order some Wisps (they even sell them at airports now) dip them in the hottest ####### salsa ever. 
Wisps are OK.  I prefer to substitute pork rinds for my chip craving, though they are not as versatile.  I did make some pork rind nachos with shredded cheese melted in the oven.  Then topping with sour cream, guac, salsa.  Good stuff.

What's the easiest way to go keto?

What "cheats"/snacks can I order online and keep around? (Not pork rinds pls)

TIA

Day 1 - 195
Week 10 - 180
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Week 13 - 177
Week 14 - 176.5
Weekly Loss - 0.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 18.5
Last Four Week Trend - 3.5 lb loss

Progress being made after a plateau.  No complaints about what I had to eat this week, and surprised to lose any weight at all.  Had my favorite pizza place twice (they make a Keto crust), Keto ice cream from the local Keto bakery.  No real cheats, just keto treats until last night.  My boys are playing fall baseball, and we had an unseasonal 80 degree day I spent 8 hours in yesterday.  Went out to eat with my parents afterwards and had two big beers with my salad because I was thirsty.

10 day checkin, minus 7 lbs.

I'm having a hard time getting into and staying in ketosis.

I've tried some Keto Drive, but it doesn't seem to help and is really expensive.

Seems to me, either the older I get, or the more times I've done a keto diet, the harder it is for me to get into Ketosis next time.

10 day checkin, minus 7 lbs.

I'm having a hard time getting into and staying in ketosis.

I've tried some Keto Drive, but it doesn't seem to help and is really expensive.

Seems to me, either the older I get, or the more times I've done a keto diet, the harder it is for me to get into Ketosis next time.
10 days seven pounds, good job. Surely you're dropping water. Have you experienced low carb flu symptoms? They indicate glycogen depletion and the switch to ketosis. They can be fatigue, headache, nothing serious.

You may be high on protein low on fat. Gluconeogenesis comes before ketogenesis. Too much protein can stall the process. This is why I fast my way into deep ketosis and then start low carbing. Depleting glycogen is different for every liver but the research indicates a 40-50 hour fast works for everyone. Exercise speeds it up. Debauchery and laziness slows it down.

pretty current state of the keto union nerd reading

Day 1 - 195
Week 11 - 178.5
Week 12 - 178
Week 13 - 177
Week 14 - 176.5
Week 15 - 173
Weekly Loss - 3.5 Loss
Loss to Date - 22.0
Last Four Week Trend - 5.5 lb loss

Feel very suspicious in this weigh in.  I believe I am in need of a new scale.  My wife weighed in over the weekend and said she didn't think her first weight was right.  Stepped off and stepped on again and got a different weight.  Stepped off and on again and got a third weight.  Stepped off and on again and the third weight repeated so she stuck with that.  I weighed myself twice and they were both 173, but I didn't really do anything different this week, and cheated last night.  Optimistic me says maybe I broke through a plateau but I'm not really an optimist so I'm guessing I will weigh in higher next week. 

Day 1 - 195
Week 12 - 178
Week 13 - 177
Week 14 - 176.5
Week 15 - 173
Week 16 - 177.3
Weekly Loss - 4.3 Gain
Loss to Date - 17.7
Last Four Week Trend - 0.7 lb loss

Got a new scale this week as the last one wasn't measuring consistently anymore.  At least part of this gain is due to that.  Also probably not in ketosis as my diet hasn't really been on point.  Haven't been doing a good job of keeping the house stocked, but we did a good grocery run this week so back to it.

Day 1 - 195
Week 13 - 177
Week 14 - 176.5
Week 15 - 173
Week 16 - 177.3
Week 17 - 176.4
Weekly Loss - 0.9 Gain
Loss to Date - 18.6
Last Four Week Trend - 0.6 lb loss

Can't really claim to be eating Keto at this point.  Two or three days eating well, then a cheat meal here.  Rinse and repeat.  Totally off the wagon this weekend, so I expect a bump this week.  Just checking in to keep the streak going.

10 days seven pounds, good job. Surely you're dropping water. Have you experienced low carb flu symptoms? They indicate glycogen depletion and the switch to ketosis. They can be fatigue, headache, nothing serious.

You may be high on protein low on fat. Gluconeogenesis comes before ketogenesis. Too much protein can stall the process. This is why I fast my way into deep ketosis and then start low carbing. Depleting glycogen is different for every liver but the research indicates a 40-50 hour fast works for everyone. Exercise speeds it up. Debauchery and laziness slows it down.

pretty current state of the keto union nerd reading
I've been piddling around, staying just out of ketosis and flatlining pounds.

What you say about fasting to kick start seems like a plan, but its taken me a few weeks to psych myself up for a fast. I only have grassfed  bone broth (2c) Heavy cream (1/4c), better than bouillon  beef base (1t), Picapeppa (1t)and small handful of greens- spinach, basil, collards. Not technically a fast, but I'm thinking it will work and I can stay on it a few days. Today went well.

I've been piddling around, staying just out of ketosis and flatlining pounds.

What you say about fasting to kick start seems like a plan, but its taken me a few weeks to psych myself up for a fast. I only have grassfed  bone broth (2c) Heavy cream (1/4c), better than bouillon  beef base (1t), Picapeppa (1t)and small handful of greens- spinach, basil, collards. Not technically a fast, but I'm thinking it will work and I can stay on it a few days. Today went well.
Like CC, I’ve started rounds of Keto with a fast.  Just easiest thing to me to get it going but definitely not for everyone.  Do what works for you.  Good luck cos!

Been off plan for most of the month.  Was doing OK maintaining for the most part, eating low carb breakfast and lunch, and then doing whatever the family was having for supper.  The last couple of weeks (last week in particular) were very stressful at work so I went 100% off the wagon, including eating total crap for lunch and fast food weekends.  Two things happened over the weekend; went pas t my "stop gap" weight of 180, and finally decided I was sick and tired of feeling sick to my stomach and gassy all the time.  Back on the plan as of today.

Weighed in this morning at 182.3.  Here we go.

Going keto for the first time. Been intermittent fasting for a while and would rate myself 8 out of 10 on nutritional knowledge. But I'm all-in on ketogenesis right now for the first time ever. I'll be fasting during the day with pickle juice, powerade zero, and snake juice electrolyte powder to keep me going/hydrated throughout the daily fast. I'll also do an ECA stack during the day with daily workouts. Zero alcohol will be involved, and sex will be a couple times a week (ideally I'd go no sex to keep my "drive" at 100%, but my girlfriend would probably kill me). Also am trying the snake juice thing for the first time after finding it on Amazon as it simply appears to be electrolytes, salt and potassium - but I'm not trying to endorse it. Powerade zero isn't bad, but not trying to endorse it. I will definitely endorse pickle juice though. Can't think of anything else. OK cheers wish me luck.
After dedicating a lot of resources, decided it isn't for me. Just saw The Game Changers on Netflix too, after doing a search for "Arnold Schwarzenegger," and this thread entered my mind among my first couple reaction thoughts. Honestly, if I'd only seen the movie - and nothing else - I'd not have been affected by it. But, just to be blunt about it, I been seeing a direct correlation between morning wood and eating plant-based the day before. The timing of everything hit me almost perfectly and kind of produced an "epiphany" day for me right now. Looking forward to experimenting further and figuring more out.

Users who are viewing this thread