What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

4th of July is the perfect Keto holiday.  Going to pick up about 40lbs of meat and get the grill fired up.  I am going to be outside as much as possible the next 4 days - I hope everyone continues to crush it.

Whatever the opposite is of Keto is how I ate over the past five days. Feeling awful and full of regret. When I was at my heaviest, feeling like this would send me right back into eating poorly, feeling horrible about it and eating poorly again to make myself feel better. Seems so crazy now. 

Cheated a few times over the weekend.  I was craving sweets/carbs big time on Monday.  Went to Taco Bell and had some grapes as a snack.  The Bell was pretty good, and the grapes tasted like candy.  Then yesterday we went to the local park for the fireworks, and they had a food truck collection for food.  I knew I was going to cheat again, so I tried to fill up on the pulled pork and brisket BBQ (just a little sauce).  But, the ice cream was tempting, so I had a single scoop of salted caramel, and I almost cried it was so good.  Then my wife (who is doing keto as well) got the mucnhies right before the fireworks started, so she got some Chinese and we split some egg rolls and cream cheese won tons.  They were not near as rewarding as the ice cream.

The needle didn't change today from all of that, but I'll be watching the scale the next few days to see what happens as I get back into it.  I think I am to the point where either a single cheat meal a week for me is either beneficial to refeed, or at least it doesn't inhibit the loss.  I'll be planning on one cheat meal a weekend (easy on the bread, unless it is a bun for burgers or brats) and trying to keep it from an all day extravaganza of carbs from morning to night.

Seems like a common theme. I fell off the wagon for the fourth also. Burgers with actual buns, potato salad, ice cream. It was a glorious day! Amazing how I can feel the difference today though. Really sluggish and tired. I have some leftovers that I refuse to waste, but I'll be back at it tomorrow.

Edit: Same as below, I knew damn well I was going to pig out on the fourth. Premeditated gluttony. I didn't fall off the wagon, I Leeroy Jenkinsed off that mothe####er.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 75 - only lost 1lb over the last couple of weeks.  And only a couple of pounds the last 3 wks to a month.  I did cheat with 2 McDoubles and medium fry 5 days ago though.  Looks like I need to get walking or do something else to shake things up.  I am dreaming of the Marion's Pizza I am going to destroy when visiting Ohio later this month.  

Started 187lbs - down to 165.2lbs.  

Read through the first three pages and the old thread/google probably have plenty of tips but since the collective minds here are usually on the ball, is there a fairly decent starter guide so to speak for this that anyone recommends? Or just any random google search will do as the results will be largely the same?

Or just dont eat carbs, eat meat and veggies, done.

Read through the first three pages and the old thread/google probably have plenty of tips but since the collective minds here are usually on the ball, is there a fairly decent starter guide so to speak for this that anyone recommends? Or just any random google search will do as the results will be largely the same?

Or just dont eat carbs, eat meat and veggies, done.
Keerock's guide linked in the first post of this thread is a great start.  It takes a bit to read through it all, but all of the basics are there.

I also took the last five days or so off and went carb crazy, and it tasted so incredibly good, especially the glorious goodness that is bread. Like the rest of you, though, it made me so sluggish and feeling crappy that I regretted it soon after. In addition, all of the ailments I had before came right back (heartburn, intestinal issues, etc.), so there's no desire to return to the old ways. I managed to only put on two pounds somehow, so all I plan on doing is keepin' on keepin' on. Like many of you, though, I think it's time to start adding working out to the equation. I already get 15k+ steps per day between work, the dogs, and golfing, but I'd like to add in weights and rollerblading at first. Currently at about 207, looking to get below 200 for the first time in at least 10 years, probably more like 15-20, with an end goal of around 185.

Threw down a couple Keto kick starters for lunch today - three split jalapeno peppers raw filled with cream cheese.  They burned on the lips, the nostril, and the left eye.  They also burned going down the chute and left a parting gift as well.

Polished off a half pound of 80/20 ground beef with some sour cream, cheese, and hot salsa.  

Hoping this pushes me under 195 by the end of the weekend.

Did low-carb kill the Lakers?

https://youtu.be/WSB-jEUeu_M

(Answer: it's hard to know how big a role it played since there are many other possible explanations for their decline, but low-carb is pretty stupid for basketball, which consists of repeated high-intensity movements requiring anaerobic glycolysis that can be fueled only by glucose.)

Nugget said:
Threw down a couple Keto kick starters for lunch today - three split jalapeno peppers raw filled with cream cheese.  They burned on the lips, the nostril, and the left eye.  They also burned going down the chute and left a parting gift as well.

Polished off a half pound of 80/20 ground beef with some sour cream, cheese, and hot salsa.  

Hoping this pushes me under 195 by the end of the weekend.
I eat bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers and some sort of meaty Mexican concoction at least once a week now. Godsend for this diet. 

Been looking at research here and there. Curious as I know the majority of the diet is fats but I did the keto calculator to the best of my ability following the guidelines and this is what it spit out for me: 1878kcal Daily Calorie Intake

25g Carbs (5%, 100 kcal)

153g Protein (33%, 612 kcal)

130g Fat (62%, 1166 kcal)

Surprised to see the protein higher than fat. Initially I wouldve thought Im eating more grams of the fat than anything else but just based on the cals and percentages its showing next to those number, I guess even though Im eating more grams of protein Im not getting nearly as many cals from that as I am from the fat. Im a huge novice and cant really see these numbers and related them to amounts/types of foods so Im sure this is where myfitnesspal etc comes in handy.

Also know a bit part of it is supplementing salt, potassium and magnesium (some have even said really being on top of that can really help alleviate the keto flu as much as possible). Any recommendations on supplements? Ive seem people just drinking salt water or chicken broth for the salt. I think Ill be jumping into this at some point next week/weekend so any beginner tips appreciated.

Also know a bit part of it is supplementing salt, potassium and magnesium (some have even said really being on top of that can really help alleviate the keto flu as much as possible). Any recommendations on supplements? Ive seem people just drinking salt water or chicken broth for the salt. I think Ill be jumping into this at some point next week/weekend so any beginner tips appreciated.
I was curious about magnesium too. I had some hellacious leg cramps one night this week, and was thinking it's from lack of magnesium. After a little reading, I found some of the foods I've seen mentioned in this thread (maybe the original thread) are pretty high in magnesium. Avocados, almonds, salmon, spinach, dark chocolate are some that I've seen mentioned. I don't remember if they were being talked about because of magnesium, or just as general keto friendly foods. Definitely trying to mix more of that stuff in now, along with drinking a lot more water. If I get cramps like that again, think I'll be going to GNC or just order some kind of magnesium supplement.

Been following Keto since Wednesday.  Feel SO much better.  I felt far less bloated after just 36 hours.  I am at nearly zero carbs throughout the day.  The need for dessert is high.  Sugar free pudding whipped with whipping cream (8 carbs) is my salvation at night.

Been following Keto since Wednesday.  Feel SO much better.  I felt far less bloated after just 36 hours.  I am at nearly zero carbs throughout the day.  The need for dessert is high.  Sugar free pudding whipped with whipping cream (8 carbs) is my salvation at night.
A couple squares of Dark Chocolate (85%+) is a god send. 

Welcome to the club. 

Does that #### up your insulin?  Aren't sweeteners out on keto?

No, and not as far as I know.  Guru @Keerock is drinking Diet Dr Pepper so I don't think he's worried about sweeteners, just carbs.
Some react differently to artificial sweeteners than others... I'm lucky that it doesn't spike my blood sugar and cause cravings.

Since Jan 1st (this time). Down from 257-202.  Did the same thing 3 years ago and went from 268-185 :bag:  

hoping this time to level out and stay around 190-195.
what went wrong in between?

Have you tried or any particular thoughts on fasting or intermediate fasting? 

Cauliflower pizza tonight ... really likin' this.  had pepperoni and 2 thin sliced mushrooms on it ...and half a slice jalapeno.  

squeezing the crap is a pain, but pretty worth it.  

what went wrong in between?

Have you tried or any particular thoughts on fasting or intermediate fasting? 
I ate a lot of carbs.

i do IF every day... don't eat between 8pm and noon the next day.  MT is making me contemplate a water fast now...  trying to find a good time to do it around summer events...

I ate a lot of carbs.

i do IF every day... don't eat between 8pm and noon the next day.  MT is making me contemplate a water fast now...  trying to find a good time to do it around summer events...
Is there a sweet spot of carbs you could have eaten? 

I've been in weight loss mode, its been a year long process and slow but steady but I'd like to jumpstart the results so I'm considering Keto, but I am wondering what comes after Keto, so thats why I asked.  What would you do differently next time. 

I'd start with a similar IF but would entertain total fasting if I can see convincing info it can be done healthily without any kind of long term damage

I would think our GB @Otis would love the idea of fasting. 

"An apple and some tuna? That's ####### cute, Christian. Call me when you really want to get after it. I haven't eaten since a week ago Thursday"
You know me too well. 

I'm so doing this. 

Cauliflower pizza tonight ... really likin' this.  had pepperoni and 2 thin sliced mushrooms on it ...and half a slice jalapeno.  

squeezing the crap is a pain, but pretty worth it.  
My wife made this once and it just tasted like cauliflower.  Do you have a good functional recipe you like?  Have you tried the fathead pizza?

Is there a sweet spot of carbs you could have eaten? 

I've been in weight loss mode, its been a year long process and slow but steady but I'd like to jumpstart the results so I'm considering Keto, but I am wondering what comes after Keto, so thats why I asked.  What would you do differently next time. 

I'd start with a similar IF but would entertain total fasting if I can see convincing info it can be done healthily without any kind of long term damage
I think you can stay pretty safe if you stay under like 50-70 carbs a day.  Which is pretty easy.  My biggest problem with carbs is the blood sugar roller coaster.  If I eat sugar for breakfast, I am starving by 11:00.  Then I plow through another carb food to kill off the hunger pangs and jitters, and my whole day is shot before noon.

I prefer to not eat anything for breakfast, break my fast with no carbs around lunch, and them I'm sitting pretty for the rest of the day.  I'm halfway through the day, and have only eaten <10 carbs.  Sensible dinner (skip the bread and double up on the cauliflower or broccoli)and maybe some Halo Top for a late snack, and I'm seeing .2 off the scale in the morning.  

My wife made this once and it just tasted like cauliflower.  Do you have a good functional recipe you like?  Have you tried the fathead pizza?
That fathead pizza crust looks good - will definitely try it.  The cauliflower pizza doesn't taste of cauliflower at all - you have to microwave and squeeze the hell out of it though.  

ETA: the cauliflower pizza recipe I use.

Sabertooth said:
I think you can stay pretty safe if you stay under like 50-70 carbs a day.  Which is pretty easy.  My biggest problem with carbs is the blood sugar roller coaster.  If I eat sugar for breakfast, I am starving by 11:00.  Then I plow through another carb food to kill off the hunger pangs and jitters, and my whole day is shot before noon.

I prefer to not eat anything for breakfast, break my fast with no carbs around lunch, and them I'm sitting pretty for the rest of the day.  I'm halfway through the day, and have only eaten <10 carbs.  Sensible dinner (skip the bread and double up on the cauliflower or broccoli)and maybe some Halo Top for a late snack, and I'm seeing .2 off the scale in the morning.  
Similar to what I have been doing.

I try not eat until at least 3 or so if I feel I need to have something before I hit the gym - and when I do eat before the gym, it has been something like a small handful of nuts - most of the time I try to not eat until after the gym. SO while preparing dinner ofr the family I may have some nuts or a couple slices of cheese or a little turkey or something, then I'll have whatever we are doing for dinner - usually a protein - beef or chicken - and a lot of veggies - roasted brussell sprouts with bacon and balsamic is a house favorite lately - then if I get hungry before bed, I'll either have an extra serving if there were any leftovers from dinner, or I'll make a bowl of my cottage cheese concoction - cottage cheese, peanut butter and a little sugar free jam.

Works for me (granted I started off close to 300 lbs., so have a lot of me to live off of), I rarely get hungry during the day (I'm also drinking a ton of water throughout the day - getting at least a gallon a day, usually closer to 1.5 gallons) and I'm going to bed feeling very satiated.

Hmm.... will have to try that with the whipping cream - I like adding a couple scoops of protein powder in to pudding when mixing it up, but I've been trying to find a better low carb way of preparing the pudding without so much milk.

Halo Top ice cream is pretty solid.  I keep a can of Redi Whip in the fridge.  I take a squirt when I crave something. 

Halo Top ice cream is pretty solid.  I keep a can of Redi Whip in the fridge.  I take a squirt when I crave something. 
Acric Zero has a salted caramel that's 140 cal per PINT.

I crushed up a kirkland nut bar into a pint this weekend and it was fabulous 

PS, Arctic Zero chocolate-peanut butter is garbage 

so far I like Halo Top better, but like to try all options. 
Halo Top is good, but it's not a Dairy Queen Blizzard either.   It's all about choices and how good is "good enough" and the least amount of cals and carbs for me.  

If I can cut 100 calories and still get to "good enough" that's usually my choice.  

Hmm.... will have to try that with the whipping cream - I like adding a couple scoops of protein powder in to pudding when mixing it up, but I've been trying to find a better low carb way of preparing the pudding without so much milk.

it's pretty good. more like mousse.

Users who are viewing this thread