What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 US OPEN - Erin Hills (1 Viewer)

strykerpks

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread on this so please merge if there's one out there already. If you have some time to kill The Making of Erin Hills by Gary D'Amato is a pretty interesting read, though quite long (7 parts). 

I know locally there's a ton of excitement. Radio guys are broadcasting from there all week and really haven't been able to stop talking about it for the past few weeks. I'm curious how this plays out nationally and with the players. I'm sure you've seen the Kevin Na video from the fescue. My understanding though is that the fairways are rather generous in their width. It will play extremely long, possibly sniffing 7800 yards.

Logistics should be interesting. I was at a graduation party this past weekend in Summit (some 20 miles from Erin) and there was a huge parking lot marked off in a field with about 40 coach buses surrounding it doing test runs. There is a lot of rain in the forecast and practice rounds were delayed a bit today.

Did Phil officially declare himself out? There was some speculation here that the rain could delay the first round a bit, allowing him time to get here after his daughter's graduation.

I didn't see a thread on this so please merge if there's one out there already. If you have some time to kill The Making of Erin Hills by Gary D'Amato is a pretty interesting read, though quite long (7 parts). 

I know locally there's a ton of excitement. Radio guys are broadcasting from there all week and really haven't been able to stop talking about it for the past few weeks. I'm curious how this plays out nationally and with the players. I'm sure you've seen the Kevin Na video from the fescue. My understanding though is that the fairways are rather generous in their width. It will play extremely long, possibly sniffing 7800 yards.

Logistics should be interesting. I was at a graduation party this past weekend in Summit (some 20 miles from Erin) and there was a huge parking lot marked off in a field with about 40 coach buses surrounding it doing test runs. There is a lot of rain in the forecast and practice rounds were delayed a bit today.

Did Phil officially declare himself out? There was some speculation here that the rain could delay the first round a bit, allowing him time to get here after his daughter's graduation.
He said he won't withdraw until right before his tee time and that he would need a 4-5 hour delay to be able to make it.

Pretty pathetic whining by Na there. Everyone's playing with the same conditions. Get it on the fairway and stop being a little baby.

Pretty pathetic whining by Na there. Everyone's playing with the same conditions. Get it on the fairway and stop being a little baby.
Curious to see how close they let the fans. If they're trampling through the fescue it might not be so bad. 

I've sim-played the course a hundred or so times on WGT and it appears to favor big hitters because not only is it fairly long but there are so many fallaway (a trend i dont like), false-fronted & turtleback greens that getting close enough to be able to stop your approach shot would seem to be key. It would seem to favor a highball hitter like Jason Day, but i hear the winds can mess with that pretty good, too. Could be as much of a PIA as Chambers Bay

I've sim-played the course a hundred or so times on WGT and it appears to favor big hitters because not only is it fairly long but there are so many fallaway (a trend i dont like), false-fronted & turtleback greens that getting close enough to be able to stop your approach shot would seem to be key. It would seem to favor a highball hitter like Jason Day, but i hear the winds can mess with that pretty good, too. Could be as much of a PIA as Chambers Bay
the greens at Erin Hills are bentgrass, not poa-infused like Chambers Bay. should be like putting on glass if the USGA gets the keeps the stimpmeter readings under 12. 

lol at the anger expressed towards the bunker in the IG link.   Everyone knows US Open setups are PUNITIVE if you're off the fairway.

the greens at Erin Hills are bentgrass, not poa-infused like Chambers Bay. should be like putting on glass if the USGA gets the keeps the stimpmeter readings under 12. 
yeah, i just meant a similar irritation level with the course. WGT writes greens pretty well - they got the rough inconsistencies of CB down - and the Erin Hills rolls remind me of a little-glassier Oakmont.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's only a couple hours away...but having been to a few US Opens, they are SOOOOOOOO much better on TV, from home.
one of my goals is to go to a PGA tour event but i can't see how it would be better live than on tv. do you follow a group? stay at a specific hole? try to chase the exciting trends?

it's only a couple hours away...but having been to a few US Opens, they are SOOOOOOOO much better on TV, from home.
I disagree, I had a blast at Merion for the US Open a few years ago. So cool to watch a group come through a hole you park yourself and your group. Rotate beers/bathroom breaks with whoever you go with. Walk with guys near the top of the leaderboard on the weekend days not named Phil, etc. that have a small gallery. Would absolutely do it again.

ETA: My throat hurt from yelling "5HOUR ENERGY!" after Furyk putted. Saw Tiger off in the distance basically waving his putter all around and throwing a tantrum after puking on himself. I think little things like that are so cool, at least worth experiencing once.

lol at the anger expressed towards the bunker in the IG link.   Everyone knows US Open setups are PUNITIVE if you're off the fairway.
Yeah, it's completely by design. Par is a good score. So be patient and wait for your opportunities to come. If you don't like the US Open, no one's making you play it. And if you're already frustrated and whining during practice you might as well skip it anyway since you're mentally sabotaging your game in advance. 

I read those articles as they came out. It is a very interesting story especially that course could host a US Open so soon. 

one of my goals is to go to a PGA tour event but i can't see how it would be better live than on tv. do you follow a group? stay at a specific hole? try to chase the exciting trends?
you can't chase...too much territory, and the circuitous routes required to get there make it difficult.  If you want a GREAT view, you need to find a spot, and watch the groups come thru.  Good view?  Pick a spot in the middle of 2-3 holes and move back and forth.   

I worked the Ryder Cup last year...now THAT was cool.  Standing on the tee, watching them tee off.  Inside the ropes, now that I could get used to.

I'm heading up Friday to check it out.

I've only been to one other event and that was the PGA Championship at the Straits  (1st time). 

I followed a little and then would find a spot to just sit and watch in the grass. Usually can find a Ridge that allows you to watch multiple holes at once.

I couldn't imagine doing the whole tournament in person.  But I like Thursday or Friday that has the complete field playing. 

It is also great for a ton of  people watching and being a smartass. Old guys in all their golf gear acting like they're part of the tour. Not sure if they think they are going to get called in to pinch swing or what.  

I think you'd enjoy a day of it.

I think the remote parking areas and shuttles are going to be a nightmare.  Can't imagine what traffic is going to be like.  Especially considering the lots are like 25 miles from the course. 

With Phil, it seems like the PGA wants him to play. He is in one of the last groups to head out on Thursday, and there are some storms headed that way Wednesday and Thursday, so fingers crossed!

Was listening to Tony Kornheiser show today or yesterday and he and son Michael (good golfer) were mentioning (both having played Erin Hills) that not having played EH might help Phil, who said he would just be relying on Bones for directions around the course. Their thought was that if Phil just listened to Bones who would say, 'hit it there' and Phil would not let all of the difficulties get into his head. And with Phils master ability around the greens, he could recover from slight deviations and save pars. Who knows! Tony also mentioned that Phil should have done what Jack had supposedly done several times, which was pay off school to move graduation to make it work with the Open. Or maybe someone from the area could just drive out onto the course with a four-wheeler to give Phil the time!

Will say that Phil is one of my favorites, so I'm praying for the rain!!!

Yes, yes and yes. I've attended two Ryder Cups (War the Shore in 91 and Valhalla in 08) and the Memorial in C-Bus. I've parked at a hole and chased. It just depends on the size of the crowds and your ability to find a decent spot at a hole if you want to park.

Speaking of Chamber Bay, did you see Gary Player's recent letter to RTJ?

Gary Player roasts Robert Trent Jones

Yes, yes and yes. I've attended two Ryder Cups (War the Shore in 91 and Valhalla in 08) and the Memorial in C-Bus. I've parked at a hole and chased. It just depends on the size of the crowds and your ability to find a decent spot at a hole if you want to park.
Always thought that golf was one of the best sports to see live at the event. It is one of the few sports where you can get within feet of the athlete and get to listen to them and see them perform in the middle of their event.

Benefits to doing both the wander/chase and sitting in one spot and seeing the pros go by. Both fun!

ETA: FYI - The US Open is on Fox and Fox Sports this year - took me a little digging to find it. Looks like it will be on FS1 for Thursday and Friday and Fox for the weekend. It also looks like it is running from 11-6 for all four days!

Some of the shots these guys hit can't be appreciated unless you see them live.

Speaking of Chamber Bay, did you see Gary Player's recent letter to RTJ?

Gary Player roasts Robert Trent Jones
well, the upkeep that yr was unforgiveable. CB wasnt built the summer i lived in Tacoma, but i know the area and have played the course a lot on WGT and it seems to be working in opposition to its setting, which is a weird thing for a coastal course to do and why i can see Player objecting. between that & Erin Hills it seems like course designers & the USGA are trying to counter the length & skill of tour players by trying to make them do counter-intuitive things and it dont always work. there's some weird  OB and some reeeeally deep field grasses @ Erin Hills that could draw as many complaints as CB did

Always thought that golf was one of the best sports to see live at the event. It is one of the few sports where you can get within feet of the athlete and get to listen to them and see them perform in the middle of their event.
Agreed. At the 91 Ryder Cup I was within listening distance when Ballesteros calling Azinger a liar. Things got quite testy with finger pointing and faces turning red!

91 Ryder Cup dust up between Ballesteros and Azinger

Benefits to doing both the wander/chase and sitting in one spot and seeing the pros go by. Both fun!
Yep. If you can find a good group without having to fight too big a crowd for viewing angles following for 18 holes is fun.

Sitting in one spot also is great if you can find a good hole with lots of action. At the 91 RC my Dad and I followed the lead group for a while on Sunday singles and then moved ahead and parked at the par 3 17th. Great hole over water that had lots of drama. Three things in particular I recall. 1) Pavin put one in the trap short left of the green. The trap was deep enough where you could only see the top of his hat. He hits the ball, sand flies up and he comes charging out of the trap following the ball, yelling at it to "Go! Go!" It stops a few feet from the hole and he pumps his fist that results in "USA! USA! USA!" cheers. 2) Calcavecchia's 4 hole melt down. He was dormie 4 up, lost 15, lost 16 and put one in the water on 17. Monty goes on to win 18 and made things interesting. 3) Thought we were going to see the whole cup end on 17 with Irwin vs Langer but he three putted 17 giving Langer a chance on 18. Irwin: "I couldn't breathe, I couldn't swallow," he said. "The sphincter factor was high."

17th at Kiawah

While I agree the TV makes shots seem easier, I find the ability to see the effects of the shot nearly impossible.  Hence, my disappointment with live golf (unless I'm playing or inside)

Been to 4 opens.  Very accessible tournament and can get tickets super cheap.  Best bargain in sports.  

Think I got weekend tickets for the southern hills one tiger started his decline on for 80 bucks total.  

Olympia fields tickets were just as cheap. Others I just won on the drawing. 

The grandstands are so huge that you can follow the leader no problem because all the fat americans cant be bothered to walk 100 yards park it. Absolutely well worth it. 

Although it's been a very stormy and tumultuous week here in the upper Midwest. I could see some wind-related errant drives that were well struck ending up in the hay. 

I'm heading up Friday to check it out.

I've only been to one other event and that was the PGA Championship at the Straits  (1st time). 

I followed a little and then would find a spot to just sit and watch in the grass. Usually can find a Ridge that allows you to watch multiple holes at once.

I couldn't imagine doing the whole tournament in person.  But I like Thursday or Friday that has the complete field playing. 

It is also great for a ton of  people watching and being a smartass. Old guys in all their golf gear acting like they're part of the tour. Not sure if they think they are going to get called in to pinch swing or what.  

I think you'd enjoy a day of it.
Do you yell Baba-Booey?

It can be tough.  I try to position myself as close as possible on either a tee box or the point in the fairway where approaches are most likely to be hit from. And then I try to use the force and hold in my piss for as long as possible while still consuming beer.

In doing this I have consistently wound up basically shoulder to shoulder with the big names.  The team boxes are especially great because the player conversations are fastening and there is just sheer impressiveness in watching a Bubba or a Justin Thomas drive from a few feet away. 

That said, it is incredibly difficult to track who is winning and see everything.  At smaller events/venues I imagine it may be possible to follow a group.  But, my experience is the Phoenix Open which I'll assume is as difficult to watch live play as is a major. 

For anyone thinking of going, This is one of the toughest courses to walk I've ever played. There are some serious green to tee walks. I wouldn't be surprised if the total acreage of this place is 10x Merion.

For anyone thinking of going, This is one of the toughest courses to walk I've ever played. There are some serious green to tee walks. I wouldn't be surprised if the total acreage of this place is 10x Merion.
About 500 acres.  That's a big piece of property. 

Users who are viewing this thread