Capella

2017-18 NBA (Playoffs): A gasping, wheezing thread begs message board poster arguing how Jordan never lost a Finals to just let it die in peace

21,193 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Moe. said:

He was really solid on offense and not awful awful on D. :shrug:

I only saw the second half, and from what I saw he was a disaster on offense.

13 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Not sure why Shaq and Kenny were so offended that he would even pose the question. For those who weren't watching, Chuck asked who is tougher to guard, or something like that, mentioned those five players above plus Durant. Barkley somewhat implied that he thought Harden was a tougher cover but then backed away. 

The step-back three makes him pretty much impossible to guard, and it's something those other guys were not able to do. I don't think it's out of the question. On a night like last night, I don't really know what you are supposed to do against Harden other than hope he misses those 3s. 

You need an elite defender like Kawhi...Kawhi has shut down the beard on several occasions.

That's the difference between Kobe and MJ vs. Harden...Harden can be shut down and is not an elite defender.

Just now, TripItUp said:

You need an elite defender like Kawhi...Kawhi has shut down the beard on several occasions.

That's the difference between Kobe and MJ vs. Harden...Harden can be shut down and is not an elite defender.

The question was limited to who is tougher to guard though. He said straight-away those other guys are better players overall. 

37 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Not sure why Shaq and Kenny were so offended that he would even pose the question. For those who weren't watching, Chuck asked who is tougher to guard, or something like that, mentioned those five players above plus Durant. Barkley somewhat implied that he thought Harden was a tougher cover but then backed away. 

The step-back three makes him pretty much impossible to guard, and it's something those other guys were not able to do. I don't think it's out of the question. On a night like last night, I don't really know what you are supposed to do against Harden other than hope he misses those 3s. 

I think it is an interesting question, but I was disappointed by the default answer given by Shaq and Kenny, which sounded like a "get off my lawn" type of answer, or, "of course the guy from my playing days is better."

As far as the question itself, I don't think it is insulting to put him in the disucssion.  I agree the three gives him something the older players didn't have.  Different rules, playing styles (personally and across the league) make it difficult to get to a definitive answer, but I do think it is an interesting question.

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, Moe. said:

The question was limited to who is tougher to guard though. He said straight-away those other guys are better players overall. 

true, I still say MJ and Kobe are tougher to guard...The Beard has been shut down by Kawhi...Kawhi isn't shutting down MJ or Kobe.

2 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

true, I still say MJ and Kobe are tougher to guard...The Beard has been shut down by Kawhi...Kawhi isn't shutting down MJ or Kobe.

You can't be serious. A healthy Kawhi would shut them down probably as much as he does Harden. 

4 people like this

5 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

You can't be serious. A healthy Kawhi would shut them down probably as much as he does Harden. 

agree to disagree on this one...let's do a poll !!

22 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

Maybe if he were allowed to us the rules of the 90s and mug the crap out of him... let's go pre hand check rule at that.

So we're back to remembering that MJ never missed a shot.  I love these discussions. 

4 people like this

48 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

The problem with this is that people much much much much much worse at defense than Kawhi shut down Kobe all the damn time.  He went 6 for 24 in Game 7 in 2010 with a 47 year old Paul Pierce and a 63 year old Ray Allen guarding him. When he was Harden’s age Raja Bell hounded him into basically quitting basketball. 

3 people like this

The cross-over and cohesiveness of the entire right-wing propaganda apparatus makes the lefties look like pre-schoolers.

:yes:

21 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

The problem with this is that people much much much much much worse at defense than Kawhi shut down Kobe all the damn time.  He went 6 for 24 in Game 7 in 2010 with a 47 year old Paul Pierce and a 63 year old Ray Allen guarding him. When he was Harden’s age Raja Bell hounded him into basically quitting basketball. 

I hear about that 6/24 game almost every week...how about the 81 point game?

Just now, TripItUp said:

I hear about that 6/24 game almost every week...how about the 81 point game?

James Harden would have scored 153 on Jalen in that game.

Wouldnt have let Raja Bell steal his soul later that year, either.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

And as much as LeBron.

28 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

James Harden would have scored 153 on Jalen in that game.

Wouldnt have let Raja Bell steal his soul later that year, either.

story time with Jalen Rose

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, hxperson said:

Cavs took Anthony Bennett first overall over Victor Oladipo back in 2013.  Think Oladipo has forgotten about that?

Interesting wrinkle to this series and something I just thought of as I was watching this game.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23192727/victor-oladipo-indiana-pacers-says-cavs-owner-dan-gilbert-post-trade-remarks-added-fuel-fire

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Butler is a good player, but he ain’t all that. Terrible shot selection both tonight and at the end of regulation against Denver. He isn’t as good as he thinks he is. 

Before he got hurt he was top 5 in the MVP race and the T-Wolves were the 3rd or 4th seed in the west. My guess is he is only playing at 80 to 90 percent and those shots would look a lot better if he wasn't working his way back,

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Good for Oladipo for finding motivation, but it is kind of fake. He would have been dealt in that deal for Love most likely and even if he wasn't it wasn't like he was playing this well in Orlando early in his career, I doubt it would have been any different for the Cavs. The Cavs would have traded him or let him walk after his contract was up.

Edited by msudaisy26
2 people like this

The good news is we won't have to hear about LeBron ruining the NBA when he jumps to team that beat him because the Cavs will be knocked out long before Philly would get the chance.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

Before he got hurt he was top 5 in the MVP race and the T-Wolves were the 3rd or 4th seed in the west. My guess is he is only playing at 80 to 90 percent and those shots would look a lot better if he wasn't working his way back,

If you saw the shot selection, you would realize MJ couldn’t have made them look good. 

Just now, Cjw_55106 said:

If you saw the shot selection, you would realize MJ couldn’t have made them look good. 

I did see the shots, if they go in they would look good. Like I said he probably still has rust and isn't full healthy, that kind of stuff will affect decision making.

Posted (edited)

officiating not so great again in this Philly-Miami game. i feel for Dragic a bit, he got a make-up call against Miami attributed to him to give him 2 fouls in first 4-5 minutes of the game

ETA: nice to see refs adjust and call a good game going forward

Edited by modogg

1 hour ago, msudaisy26 said:

The good news is we won't have to hear about LeBron ruining the NBA when he jumps to team that beat him because the Cavs will be knocked out long before Philly would get the chance.

*HOT TAKE OF THE NIGHT*

2 people like this

41 minutes ago, modogg said:

officiating not so great again in this Philly-Miami game. i feel for Dragic a bit, he got a make-up call against Miami attributed to him to give him 2 fouls in first 4-5 minutes of the game

ETA: nice to see refs adjust and call a good game going forward

:wall:officiating is a joke and Heat like to play dirty. this would be more fun if Embiid didn't have to watch contact like he will have to when he gets back

2 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

Good for Oladipo for finding motivation, but it is kind of fake. He would have been dealt in that deal for Love most likely and even if he wasn't it wasn't like he was playing this well in Orlando early in his career, I doubt it would have been any different for the Cavs. The Cavs would have traded him or let him walk after his contract was up.

He also basically blows it off. Pat got a lot of clicks though.

I thought about counting how many posts modogg made complaining about the refs in the last 2 weeks, but I don't have that many fingers and toes.

5 people like this

Just now, PlasmaDogPlasma said:

I thought about counting how many posts modogg made complaining about the refs in the last 2 weeks, but I don't have that many fingers and toes.

ehh, the officiating has been crappy on both sides and was even stated that way when i first mentioned and Dragic got screwed. so don't get yourself all worked up. Winslow is a deuche though, and D-Wade can be a pain in the ### to play against

When is Embiid due back? 

This is atrocious.

Well this is def the worst the sixers have looked in along time.

Just now, GOB said:

When is Embiid due back? 

This is atrocious.

Next game I think.  It was due.  They have won every game for like the past 2 months

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, need2know said:

Well this is def the worst the sixers have looked in along time.

i'm interested to see what Brett does coming out of the half. Heat playing physical with Ben and overall, interested to see how Brett counters. good test for him, the 3s are certainly being guarded much better

ETA: and friggin Wade. What the hell dude. go flip some houses and retire already

Edited by modogg

sixers were like 11-18 on 3s in the first half in the first game.  2-18 tonight.  Heat seem like they are maybe contesting a little better, but overall, if Sixers can get a few more 3s to go down, they will be fine.

1 minute ago, modogg said:

Heat are a dirty, dirty team

Can’t believe them and Pacers ended up 5 and 6. The 2 teams I didn’t want to see the Cavs play in rd 1. End of the day it didn’t matter how the 3/4 turned out. Rather play the Raps.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, modogg said:

Heat are a dirty, dirty team

Yeah they are.

We are also not getting any calls.  And they are for some reason

This is ugly.

Rudy Gay starting tonight for the Spurs. Kerr hasn't said if Iggy is starting again tonight. Yes would be my guess.

29 minutes ago, need2know said:

Yeah they are.

We are also not getting any calls.  And they are for some reason

i know Danny Garcia is at the game. give him a jersey for 5 minutes, should stop the nonsense from Miami