What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Mjolnirs

Footballguy
It's two weeks since the season started, and I realized I had not seen a thread.  If there is one I missed, please let me know.

2017 Names
Arlene
Bret

Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irma
Jose

Katia
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe

Rina
Sean
Tammy
Vince
Whitney

Last edited by a moderator:
Been raining everyday in central Florida for the last six weeks. I slow moving TS will cause major flooding at this point.

My money is on Irma. 

Here's hoping we don't even get close to Ophelia.
I was going to say if we get to O that's a fairly busy season so I decided to see what the outlook was on how busy they expect it to be. First 3 headlines:

Weather.com: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Expect It to Be Busier Than Usual...Meteorologist Kait Parker takes a look at the updated hurricane outlook for 2017 as above-average numbers are now expected

NOAA: Above-normal Atlantic hurricane season is most likely this year...Forecasters at NOAA's Climate Prediction Center say the Atlantic could see another above-normal hurricane season this year.

And then the alternative facts site.

Accuweather: 2017 Atlantic hurricane forecast: Possible El Nino to limit development...Experts are calling for a below-normal hurricane season this year  :doh:

Anyway:

Colorado State University expects 14 named storms, six hurricanes and two major hurricanes this season.

NOAA expects 11 to 17 named storms this season, more than the 30-year average for the Atlantic Basin.

The Weather Company predicts 14 named storms, seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes this season.

I am right in the middle of the projected landfall of Cindy--Lake Charles, LA.  My normal Public information job shifts to emergency work during these events so I will be busy.

Galileo said:
1970 mi Southeast of Tampa, Fl.   Why is Tampa being used as the reference point?
I've found the myfoxhurricane.com website to be the best to get this information.  It just happens to be out of Tampa.  That's all.

:blackdot:   In mid-September I'll be changing to a role at work that will have me deployed to disasters throughout the US.  I spent a year + working Andrew, and extended time on the 4 FL Hurricanes of 2004, Katrina & Ike.  Depending on the extent of damages and other logistics, I will likely be on site in less than 48 hours.  These threads in the past have been an awesome source of info.

Wow that formed quick.  I watched the 11pm news last night and all they talked about was a small wave way out in the Atlantic.

Emily
Well look at that. I had no idea. I thought it was just another rainy day.
Guess I am going to have to watch this thread more closely.  Now that we're in central Florida, every storm that comes up seems to be the one that's going to wipe Florida off the face of the earth.  We had a couple showers from this life ending storm....that was it.  They are as bad here with rain as the ones more north with snow.  :lmao:  

The Commish said:
Guess I am going to have to watch this thread more closely.  Now that we're in central Florida, every storm that comes up seems to be the one that's going to wipe Florida off the face of the earth.  We had a couple showers from this life ending storm....that was it.  They are as bad here with rain as the ones more north with snow.  :lmao:  
Welcome to the Sunshine State. Don't forget your umbrella.

Welcome to the Sunshine State. Don't forget your umbrella.
no ####

Every freakin' day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rain, I can handle.  The hard part thus far is getting accustom to the plants/grass/bugs etc.  Oh, and owning a pool....I'm not sure I want this pool but I have it now :kicksrock:  

Wait til Nov good buddy, and the skies will be crystal blue until May.

We have 100 people in town from SF who are considering whether to accept a transfer here...considering the weather timing, we may be looking for 95 new people.

Wait til Nov good buddy, and the skies will be crystal blue until May.

We have 100 people in town from SF who are considering whether to accept a transfer here...considering the weather timing, we may be looking for 95 new people.
October - March is awesome.  Bizarro seasons in FL (well 2 anyway).  

Franklin

Completely didn't hear about this one until tonight.
Five days ago, invest 99 was supposed to be the flashy one, but 90 has a good shot at becoming the first hurricane of the year. Going to be a mess if you ship by rail in Mexico. They're ripe for some mudslides.

Grocery store was a madhouse. Figured I'd stop during lunch and pick up a couple of things, not that I had any great needs.

Lines went from the registers, back to the aisles, and all the way back each aisle to the far end of the store. :shock:   Turned around and walked out.

Users who are viewing this thread