What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any other RV, travel trailer or campers here? -Must have items (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
So I have a 29' travel trailer and often take the family camping.  I though it would be interesting what other FBG who RV, tent or TT camp bring with them and recommend. I'll list a few items I think are money:

Fatwood - best way to start a fire.

camping chairs - awsome chairs for camping, kids sports or just all around chair for the outdoors.

Mosquito racket - Kills bugs dead.

towel rack - Best thing I bought.  Clips to bumper, installs in 10 minutes.  Kids throw towels on it after swimming.  Much better than hanging from awning.

Add your must haves

$$ to buy an RV, camper, etc.  This is something I really want to do, but just don't have the $$.  I'm jealous 

We had our travel trailer "30 foot Puma" stolen last year.  Right from the storage place we kept it.  They just cut the lock and hauled it off.  The insurance paid out about 11K, which was about right, but we must have had another $2,500 worth of stuff inside that we'll never get back.  Sheriff told us it's probably a meth lab by now...

Anyway, oldest daughter is going off to college so we decided to wait on buying a new camper and maybe upgrade to a Class C and tow our Jeep behind.  But the camping itch is still there, so we bought a tend and have gone a couple times this summer.  Boy do we miss sleeping in A/C.  But we love to hike and just sit around the fire so it will have to do for now.

So here are some must haves that we have re-purchased because even with a Tent we need these:

Propane fire pit (we don't smell like smoke the rest of the trip)

LED Frisbee

Aerobie Pro Ring Frisbee (if there is a big field near by - this thing is awesome - can throw it 200 yards with pretty good accuracy)

Streamlight - best camp light we've ever had.

Hammock - keeps the bugs away during naps

Fatwood - best way to start a fire.
If you  are looking for a cheap alternative for fire starting, I would recommend this:

Find a way to use candles at home (romance, relaxation, meditation, aroma improvement, etc.)...

..and once the candles are "spent", save the remains. The "waste" that is left may seem small, but it can be very useful.

Take all of the candle "waste", and melt it in a wide pan or pot over mild heat.

Once it is melted, soak industrial grade paper towels (or somethig similar) in the liquid.

Let all cool/dry, and then separate the remains.

The resulting "wax towels" are awesome fire starters that pack light and do a better job of fire starting than anything I have found on the market.

We had our travel trailer "30 foot Puma" stolen last year.  Right from the storage place we kept it.  They just cut the lock and hauled it off.  The insurance paid out about 11K, which was about right, but we must have had another $2,500 worth of stuff inside that we'll never get back.  Sheriff told us it's probably a meth lab by now...

Anyway, oldest daughter is going off to college so we decided to wait on buying a new camper and maybe upgrade to a Class C and tow our Jeep behind.  But the camping itch is still there, so we bought a tend and have gone a couple times this summer.  Boy do we miss sleeping in A/C.  But we love to hike and just sit around the fire so it will have to do for now.

So here are some must haves that we have re-purchased because even with a Tent we need these:

Propane fire pit (we don't smell like smoke the rest of the trip)

LED Frisbee

Aerobie Pro Ring Frisbee (if there is a big field near by - this thing is awesome - can throw it 200 yards with pretty good accuracy)

Streamlight - best camp light we've ever had.

Hammock - keeps the bugs away during naps
Have Propane fire pit.  Like it but it SUCKS gas like mad!  

Have LED Frisbee.  Awesome for camping.

Aerobie Frisbee - going to order. thx

Streamlight.  Have it.  Not impressed.  Light output is very low.  Maybe works well in tent but I think my Coleman string lights put out more light

Hammock - have a similar one. 

If you  are looking for a cheap alternative for fire starting, I would recommend this:

Find a way to use candles at home (romance, relaxation, meditation, aroma improvement, etc.)...

..and once the candles are "spent", save the remains. The "waste" that is left may seem small, but it can be very useful.

Take all of the candle "waste", and melt it in a wide pan or pot over mild heat.

Once it is melted, soak industrial grade paper towels (or somethig similar) in the liquid.

The resulting "wax towels" are awesome fire starters that pack light and do a better job of fire starting than anything I have found on the market.
Or forget the candles and just eat bacon, as everyone should be doing anyway.  Sop up the grease with folded paper towels, and keep them in a ziploc bag.  Bacon grease towels start fires better than anything else I've tried - and it smells good! 

I have a 13' boler. Cause the thing is small, and there isn't much haging out room for the 4 of us (me, wife, 5 and 3 year old), nor much storage space, I can only take the essentials. A few have been mentioned. But my must haves include

hammock

camping chairs

mandolin/guitar/ukulele

cooler + beer

jambox

firestarters

Or forget the candles and just eat bacon, as everyone should be doing anyway.  Sop up the grease with folded paper towels, and keep them in a ziploc bag.  Bacon grease towels start fires better than anything else I've tried - and it smells good! 
Most definitely!

Me loves bacon...

...but a candle melts my baby's heart more than the hog fat. ;)

Regardless, spot on advice here. :)

I have a 13' boler. Cause the thing is small, and there isn't much haging out room for the 4 of us (me, wife, 5 and 3 year old), nor much storage space, I can only take the essentials. A few have been mentioned. But my must haves include

hammock

camping chairs

mandolin/guitar/ukulele

cooler + beer

jambox

firestarters
Is boler the brand name?  Like a scamp?

Forgot one thing. Fire pokers.  My 10 and 13 YO love to poke the fire. I bought a fire claw off Amazon so they can pick up flaming logs. They love it. 
Yeah....and then get the camera out after dark. Be sure to use a tripod...or any other "stabling" device...and take pictures of them "working" the poker.

The results can be magical.  :yes:

What asa and shutter speed do you use?  Sounds cool though. I will try. 
I use digital, so ASA is not a variable I am used to thinking about anymore.

However, digital does have its own version (ISO), and it can be a tricky conversion depending on what camera you use.

I tend to use the max "light sensitivity" (highest ISO) I can for my camera without getting bad "spotting" or "pixelating". For me, this usually involves some test photos when I am using a camera I am not familiar with. Sorry, I wish I could be more exact, but it really depends on the quality of the camera sensor.

Shutter speed is set to  "bulb" for my Canons. Basically, in low light conditions such as this, I manually "hold" the shutter open for as long as it takes. With practice, it becomes intuitive, but at first, it takes practice.

Then again, it is the experimentation that is fun...just like the kids fun with the fire. It may take a few "bad" sessions and results in this sort of thing, but after practice, one gets a better feel of how how their camera needs to be fondled in such scenarios...at least in my experience.

I bought this Cabelas shelter .  It is fantastic.  Set up in 3 minutes.  Staked in 8 and roped in 10.  Its huge inside.  Can easily fit a picnic table or an air bed in it.  Only down side is its kind of heavy at 50 pounds.  Also if you get it bring a fan.  It makes a huge difference if its hot out.

I bought this Cabelas shelter .  It is fantastic.  Set up in 3 minutes.  Staked in 8 and roped in 10.  Its huge inside.  Can easily fit a picnic table or an air bed in it.  Only down side is its kind of heavy at 50 pounds.  Also if you get it bring a fan.  It makes a huge difference if its hot out.
lol...one is $60 and the other is $500

$$ to buy an RV, camper, etc.  This is something I really want to do, but just don't have the $$.  I'm jealous 
I had a 24 ft trailer and it was $197/mo for 10 years. Not bad and you can write off interest as a second home.

Just traded it in for 30 ft Class B.  Took it out this weekend.  ####### love this thing.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I know right.  I bought it with cabelas bucks.  On the cabelas one you can use in a downpour, easily having 6 -8 people in it and not get wet.  It also has zip down side flaps so it can be completely private if you want to use it as a tent.  Really a nice unit.

I know right.  I bought it with cabelas bucks.  On the cabelas one you can use in a downpour, easily having 6 -8 people in it and not get wet.  It also has zip down side flaps so it can be completely private if you want to use it as a tent.  Really a nice unit.
Yeah that is quite the canopy. The ones you get at Walmart or wherever for $50 are great if you play softball, the beach (I laugh when someone pulls out an umbrella), garden, tailgate, etc. I'll leave 2 legs unextended to keep it on an angle at the beach for shade/privacy, and have wheels on the case sometimes which makes moving it a breeze. I play a pickup softball every week on sundays, I throw my cart out, load it with bat bag, chairs, cooler, canopy, hook it with a bungee and have it all to the field in one trip. On hot days I'll put it up in my yard where I'm gardening. They also make these bags that attach that you can fill with sand/rocks for areas you can't stake (cement). More portable and takes one person >5mins to set up/take down. I probably use that thing 2-5 times a week. Obviously not something you need to find space for since you have the Coleman but anyone who has thought about getting one of these and hasn't should do it, one of my best $50 investments.

edit: I have stood under in many downpours, it works but I wouldn't want to be under it for 2hours in a downpour. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy #### that's both ingenious and awesome. My kids will love this.   :lmao:  

:blackdot: We just bought our first camper.  2012 28' and looks brand new.  Can't friggin' wait to get this out there.   

Hoping other folks can chime in with what they consider camper essentials (we've camped a ton with a tent, but not a camper).
Congrats!  Each summer is the summer we're going to get one.  Looks like it's 2018 now......

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Those long metal, 2 prong marshmellow sticks.

Clips for the picnic table for your table cloths.

A year to the day!  Thought I would bump this to see if any other camper/trailer guys out there with any other ideas?  Found a small used Coleman popup earlier this year (really the only thing small enough that I can tow it with a small SUV).  Me, wife and 3 year old will be taking it out soon for our first trip.  Getting the wheels/brakes and bearings all up into a useable condition. 

Even if this does not work, I had bacon!

for kids of varying ages....boche ball set, compact croquet set, compact disc golf set and especially chem lights help keep them entertained....

My wife puts dryer lint in individual cardboard egg carton cups and covers them in wax. Nice, self contained. Works good. 

But this is how you start fires. https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p/uniweld-brass-utility-propane-torch-p601900

Fold in half folding table. Stows away great. Lots of instant surface area. 

Foldy table

Also we keep a camp box with a checklist. Bug spray, sunscreen, first aid, plastic ware, wine opener, flashlights, batteries, toilet paper, allergy pills/ibuprofen other meds, olive oil, spices, cast iron skillet, emergency ponchos, candles, swiss army knife, army trnech shovel etc etc etc. Always ready to go with the basics. 

20 lb propane bottle with a riser tube attachment. Propane bottle

Riser tube use with Lantern works with tube or 2 lb bottle. And the classic coleman stove.Stove

If you are RV'ing I cannot recommend strongly enough all manner of electrical adapters. 30 amp to 110. 110 to 30 amp, 1 plug to three plugs etc etc. And a couple of garden hose splitters.  Couple of good quality electrical cords and at least one quality hose. One of those shrinky kinds if you must. 

And christmas lights. All manner of christmas lights. 

If you want something in the middle that is sturdy and will hold up in heavy wind/rain, we use the Clam Quickset... its $300

These Cabelas Cots are as comfy as my bed

When my kids were young I told them I had access to an old book of treasure maps and would create a fake map of wherever we were going (often just by looking at Google maps). I bought a big bag of fake jewels and would stash some of them at the "X Marks the Spot" whenever we got there. They loved it and looked forward to it every trip. Keeping the kids engaged/entertained is half the challenge sometimes.

Used to tent a lot. One thing I didn't do then, but would definitely try now is setting up one of those wildlife cameras on the site to see if any interesting animals strolled through while I was asleep. 

Jackstraw said:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NSENpVK1cFk/TNRuSyISUUI/AAAAAAAAAE0/NnlZFcAjB0Y/s1600/IMG_5228.JPG

My rig except bottom is KC royals blue. 1959 Shasta airflyer. Have to give 3-4 tours everywhere we go. Good way to meet people. If you are in to that.  
Sweet.  I almost bought a basket case 70s something Shasta to renovate the other day and talked myself out of it because it needed too much work.  Here is mine.  1976 Caravanner, it's about 75% restored right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
brun said:
Used to tent a lot. One thing I didn't do then, but would definitely try now is setting up one of those wildlife cameras on the site to see if any interesting animals strolled through while I was asleep. 
True story:  Camping with one of my buddies each in our own tent.  Was woken up early by stomping and scratching at the back of my tent.  Friend is a huge practical joker and we were getting up early to get the fish that day so I yelled at him to knock it off.  Stomping went around to the front of the tent and started scratching and heavy breathing, so I yelled at him again to knock it off.  A few minutes later he called back, "I'm not doing anything" and I could tell he was still in his tent.   Popped my head out just in time to see two giant moose walking away.  I'm pretty glad I didn't get moose humped that day.

#1 - Oscillating fan

People give me crap when they see it, but when it's 90 degrees they come sit by my fan with me and when the bugs start to come out, everyone wishes they had a fan.

#2 - Cornhole (Bean Bag) game and KUBB game

#1 - Oscillating fan

People give me crap when they see it, but when it's 90 degrees they come sit by my fan with me and when the bugs start to come out, everyone wishes they had a fan.

#2 - Cornhole (Bean Bag) game and KUBB game
Many years ago, my girlfriend and I were at a KOA campground outside Disney World. We see 2 guys setting up a cabin tent at a campsite, with an electrical outlet, near us. Once their tent is up they put a bunch of folded up tarps under one of the tent's door flaps. Then they grab a big window AC out of the back of their truck, put it on the tarps and drape the door flap over it.

Gotta admit. I was pretty damn jealous.

Get a couple pool noodles and put them on the arms of your awning. I’ve hit my damn head on the arms so many times :hot:  

Have a 21' Shamrock hybrid for a couple years now looking to hit the Hershey RV show for some deals next month and upgrade to a 28' to 30' bunkhouse so the kids each have there own double bed and we can have a queen bedroom.

A few of our must haves:

Best Chair Ever

Have 3 of these, each boy has one and I had to get one. Hours of fun. Campgrounds almost always have a dirt pile or softball field you can rip around on.
Ordered the chair. I’ve seen them while camping. They look awesomely. Will report back. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread