What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any experience with "Reality Sports Online"???? (1 Viewer)

BoltBacker

Footballguy
I have always been curious about this service and am a little surprised there hasn't been more chatter about it in a place like this with hard-core players. Have never tried it and have no affiliation with them so I am especially interested to hear any bad experiences. The overall concept sounds interesting, but the sound of crickets has me hesitant to actually try a league with them. Would love to hear good experiences as well.

I was looking into it last year. Didn't join but had same thoughts as you. Cost of your league if 12 owners is a lot at $10 per person so take this out before prize money. The other derent was rookie draft being separate inaugural season rather than mixed in all players. Emailed them and there is a work around on this. From what I've heard the draft software is solid but in season waiver and live scoring not on par with MFL. 

From what I've heard the draft software is solid but in season waiver and live scoring not on par with MFL. 
This would be a big drawback if true. 

Have you heard anything about their unique contract negotiation system? I felt like that was one of the "killer features" that separated them from the competition..... IF it works as described. 

I'm in three RSO leagues.  I think its a great set up.  The rookie draft issue above is easy to correct, we let the system autodraft the rookies then I just removed the players from the rosters before the auction.  I didn't find the live scoring to be all that bad last year, maybe a few minutes of lag time at its worst, but seemed pretty close to real-time last year.

Couple of knocks:

I feel like your leaguemates really need to be able to conceptualize the contract value and the player, or trading can be kinda difficult.  For example, in one of my leagues, our bottom team has no cap room this year and 2 really bloated contracts.  He can't seem to get past the concept that David Johnson at 2 years, $25mm for Michael Thomas for 3 years, $3.5mm is a somewhat even trade (he only has $2.5mm of cap space left and no WR1s on his roster).

The site also doesn't allow you to pass on rookie contracts, so sometimes you're stuck with your third round rookies on 4 year contracts because you were forced to pick someone (we're working around that in my other league by allowing managers renounce the pick and take someone that wouldn't be drafted).  You can strike big (Dak last year on a 4 year contract worth $850k/year), but you can also wind up with Dri Archer and if you want to cut him in year 1, it's a $2mm cap hit.

They could better advertise the waiver players, if someone gets cut, you get a chance to pick up their contract before they hit free agency, and its hard to navigate to that location. 

Other than that, I've been in RSO leagues for three years now and it's a great format if you're looking for a different kind of challenge in your fantasy leagues.

Couple of knocks:

I feel like your leaguemates really need to be able to conceptualize the contract value and the player, or trading can be kinda difficult.  For example, in one of my leagues, our bottom team has no cap room this year and 2 really bloated contracts.  He can't seem to get past the concept that David Johnson at 2 years, $25mm for Michael Thomas for 3 years, $3.5mm is a somewhat even trade (he only has $2.5mm of cap space left and no WR1s on his roster).
Well, they want us to have a realistic experience. Sounds exactly like the Jets Sheldon Richardson situation.

It sounds like you have had good luck with their track record over several years and that's good to hear.

Did you bring your own league or join a league from the website? 

Take their share of "juice" as other site.  Better off finding private leagues.  
Do you mean the fees are too high in your opinion? They are high, but their contract system does seem unique. Seems like a stream-lined setup for a dynasty league. 

I joined a league through this message board three years ago and that one is still going strong.  I started a second league last year with some local buddies and filled the last few spots through here as well.  We have all players returning in that second league for year two except one (who paid half of this years entry fee at startup). I really enjoy the format. Its worth the $10 site fee for sure, and site support are very responsive, usually within minutes.  We had a person buy in but had a conflict before the auction last year, they were very quick to refund his money. In my opinion, the RSO format is more involved than a keeper league but not as permanent as a dynasty league. It's definitely worth trying out if you're into the idea of cap management or like the idea of playing GM.

Users who are viewing this thread