What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cop Stabbed At Michigan Airport. Allah Akbar. (1 Viewer)

Are we sure this wasn't an IRS counter worker that got stabbed? #tobiasfunke

T&P to the officer, hopefully he pulls through. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Allah Akbar.
Just so you know, the phrase is 'Allahu' Akbar, or 'God is Great[est].' This is similar to Hezbollah, which is a shortening of Hisbu'llah or 'Hisbu Allah', ie 'Party of God.' The 'u' serves as a narrative connector in Arabic, that is any time you want to use a noun in an descriptive sense the 'u' connects it to the descriptor/adjective.

fwiw- that nbc link is the only one I"ve seen that references the "allahu akbar" comment or "possible terrorism". every other media outlet is just reporting that a police officer was stabbed at the airport... for now.

fwiw- that nbc link is the only one I"ve seen that references the "allahu akbar" comment or "possible terrorism". every other media outlet is just reporting that a police officer was stabbed at the airport... for now.
ok... now some other media outlets are reporting the NBC link and using their alleged allahu akbar and possible terrorism comments. 

not saying it won't be the case when all's said and done- just interesting seeing who decides to report the verified news until proven otherwise and who doesn't.

eta: also interesting to see which posters choose to jump in with which version.

ok... now some other media outlets are reporting the NBC link and using their alleged allahu akbar and possible terrorism comments. 

not saying it won't be the case when all's said and done- just interesting seeing who decides to report the verified news until proven otherwise and who doesn't.

eta: also interesting to see which posters choose to jump in with which version.
Count me in the group that suspects its Islamic terrorism until its proven otherwise. Odds are in my favor.

not thinking about a bunch of other options too? or you thinking those along with the terrorism, and just feeling like terrorism is the likely result? 
When I saw it on CNN they pointed out that he said something in Arabic before the stabbing.  Linking that to the likelihood of Islamic terrorism doesn't seem like a huge leap.

not thinking about a bunch of other options too? or you thinking those along with the terrorism, and just feeling like terrorism is the likely result? 
I know there are plenty of other crazies out there and it could end up being a white, straight laced fundamental Baptist, accountant from Iowa but yeah my mind goes automatically to "I bet it was an Islamic terrorist." Honestly, I don't see how we don't all think that pretty soon after hearing something like this! 

I know there are plenty of other crazies out there and it could end up being a white, straight laced fundamental Baptist, accountant from Iowa but yeah my mind goes automatically to "I bet it was an Islamic terrorist." Honestly, I don't see how we don't all think that pretty soon after hearing something like this! 
I'll admit terrorist is one of the things that come to mind for some things now. but not most. and "something like this"... I try to look at where the headline is coming from and compare to what other news agencies are saying. NBC was the only outlet reporting "alleged alluha akbar" and using the words "possible terrorist attack". for me- report the facts... when its comfirmed that the guy shouted something, then report it. that way, it makes sense that it's a possible or probable terror attack. otherwise- it's creating terror to sell clicks and should just be ignored. IMO, jumping to terror because one outlet reports something using words like allegedly and possible... and the only other outlets using the same types of words are only reporting the original piece... it's self-perpetuating and takes us further from the truth.

I'll admit terrorist is one of the things that come to mind for some things now. but not most. and "something like this"... I try to look at where the headline is coming from and compare to what other news agencies are saying. NBC was the only outlet reporting "alleged alluha akbar" and using the words "possible terrorist attack". for me- report the facts... when its comfirmed that the guy shouted something, then report it. that way, it makes sense that it's a possible or probable terror attack. otherwise- it's creating terror to sell clicks and should just be ignored. IMO, jumping to terror because one outlet reports something using words like allegedly and possible... and the only other outlets using the same types of words are only reporting the original piece... it's self-perpetuating and takes us further from the truth.
It wasn't the headline from NBC that made me think it was an Islamic terrorist, it's the Islamic terrorist track record. 

I agree, news agencies should report only the facts unless they are stating that it is an opinion piece. Now let's say, this guy really did spue out some Arabic words before he stabbed the police officer, who's reporting the facts? NBC or all of the other news sources that left that part out? 

It wasn't the headline from NBC that made me think it was an Islamic terrorist, it's the Islamic terrorist track record. 

I agree, news agencies should report only the facts unless they are stating that it is an opinion piece. Now let's say, this guy really did spue out some Arabic words before he stabbed the police officer, who's reporting the facts? NBC or all of the other news sources that left that part out? 
until it's verified. that's what news is supposed to be. otherwise its second hand gossip at best... you going to let somebody gossiping dictate how you perceive the world? I feel like that's happening waaaay too much since the internet- one person thinks they heard something, tells a reporter and now it's news. news that's being reported by other people quoting the one agency who's reporting the one person who thought they heard something. then some of the agencies go with screaming headlines about terrorists... because one shmo thought he heard something. or some poster on FFA goes with a screaming thread title. 

and I guess I don't see the same islamic terroist track record here in the US that you do... or at least enough to warrant my jumping immediately to terrorists being responsible for every stabbing, shooting or fatal car accident. and I live in NYC. :shrug:

Flint has an airport?  Why?
I think it only has one main runway.  If you live within 30 minutes it is well worth it.  Can fly direct to Florida and many other places, no traffic problems, and takes about one minute to get though security.

Because they commit their crime in the name of that religion
Committing crimes in the name of hating a religion is just as bad. I saw that the 17 Muslim girl that was beaten to death had her memorial set on fire. Religious hatred and hatred of a religion are both serious problems.

Committing crimes in the name of hating a religion is just as bad. I saw that the 17 Muslim girl that was beaten to death had her memorial set on fire. Religious hatred and hatred of a religion are both serious problems.
What was the religion of the guy in Portland I wonder?

What was the religion of the guy in Portland I wonder?
He had a hatred of religion and plenty of other things. I'm saying both ways, people  don't need to fan flames. Like this op, are any credible sources calling this terrorism and where did this idea come from?  We can wait until these things are confirmed.

I know Dr Oadi is very concerned about violence in the name of religion. That's why I was surprised he didn't mention the Muslim girl who was beat to death with a baseball bat by a Christian last weekend in DC because of her faith. 

I didnt see him start a thread about the 260 hate crimes perpetrated against Muslins in the U.S last year either, a 40% increase in such incidents. Probably just an oversight on his part, so I'd like to bring these things to his attention here. Consider it a service I can provide. :thumbup:  

Users who are viewing this thread