Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
bosoxs45

Why are Republicans trying to push this health care bill and repeal Obamacare?

Recommended Posts

Trump supporters, how do you support the House and Senate decision? Many people struggling with addiction, mental health or other health conditions may lose their coverage. How the #### is that fair?  ### ####it, I'm having a viseral reaction to hearing about it.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/politics/cbo-congressional-budget-office-health-care.html?referer=https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/6iyzj9/why_are_republicans_trying_to_push_a_health_care/

Edited by bosoxs45
Changed title to ask a real question
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will make the CEOs and other higher ups in the health industry richer. That's why the senate is doing it. Why middle to lower class people identify and align with republicans on this is completely beyond me. 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they can say they did something about healthcare after running against it for 8 years.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

I don't suppose I could interest you in facts that show health care costs rose long before Obama, and while they continued to grow, the rate of growth actually decreased under Obama?

http://www.wvpolicy.org/the-rising-cost-of-health-care-is-slowing-down-wait-what/

https://www.towerswatson.com/en/Insights/IC-Types/Survey-Research-Results/2014/03/towers-watson-nbgh-employer-survey-on-purchasing-value-in-health-care

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2014/01/08/interpreting-recent-health-care-cost-growth-data/

 

 

 

Edited by lakerstan
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

See, I don't understand this.  Healthcare costs, and insurance premiums have been skyrocketing for decades.  It was one of the major driving forces behind the ACA.  I admit it's not perfect, but it's not a total disaster either.  Instead of constantly blabbing about repealing it I wish they would come up with solutions to build upon it and fix what is wrong.  Problem is, the GOP doesn't know what is wrong with it besides the fact that it was introduced and passed by the Dems.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Obamacare need to be Fixed?? YES!

Does this do anything but help the Rich and the Insurance companies, while screwing the sick and poor?  NO!

You'd think after watching the Democrats get hammered over Obamacare and losing the Senate, House and presidency over it, the Republicans would have learned.

But then again, that is expecting the majority of either party to do what is right for the country.

They force this P.O.S. through, then I fully expect the republicans will feel the same wrath from the public the Democrats have received over the last 8 years. :bye:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Rand Paul on this.  You have to take out the pre-existing.  It will never work when people wait until they are sick / unhealthy to get it.

Even if it could work, is the time after the great recession the best time to implement a huge social expense?  If anything wait until America is great again, the budget is balanced, and our debt is paid off.  

Rands idea was if certain states want to add the pre-existing, let them raise their sales tax to pay for it.  That's just what I remember from hearing him on Hannity yesterday.

Edited by Quez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They never intended to win the presidency, so they could say whatever they want to get their base fired up without actually having to have plan. Then they won and realized their base expects them to do something. Now they are scrambling to get their book report ready when they have not started reading the book yet.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quez said:

I agree with Rand Paul on this.  You have to take out the pre-existing.  It will never work when people wait until they are sick / unhealthy to get it.

Even if it could work, is the time after the great recession the best time to implement a huge social expense?  If anything wait until America is great again, the budget is balanced, and our debt is paid off.  

Rands idea was if certain states want to add the pre-existing, let them raise their sales tax to pay for it.  That's just what I remember from hearing him on Hannity yesterday.

Sounds like a pretty stupid idea as all the people with pre-existing conditions will then just move to those states. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mile High said:

Sounds like a pretty stupid idea as all the people with pre-existing conditions will then just move to those states. 

That'll show them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a person that posts in political threads, I'm saying there are too many political threads.  There is a healthcare thread, let's not rile up people that hate political threads by making more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

Is it really your position that the dems/obama invented rising healthcare costs? I just to be sure that I clearly understand what it is that you are saying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, huthut said:

They never intended to win the presidency, so they could say whatever they want to get their base fired up without actually having to have plan. Then they won and realized their base expects them to do something. Now they are scrambling to get their book report ready when they have not started reading the book yet.

:goodposting:

Only thing I disagree with here is not intending to win the presidency.  They've made Obamacare the boogeyman for seven years, well before they were saddled with Trump. 

Also in this analogy the book is Infinite Jest and for some reason their base thinks it's Hop on Pop. That's a factor too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

So...it's the Dems fault that Republicanscimplainedfor the last 8ish years...and had no answer of their own. And the Dems fault that the amswer is now a worse bill than what we had?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

What do you mean by Dems have only themselves to blame and you have zero sympathy for them?  Dems aren't the ones who would be hurt by Trumpcare, so why would they be blaming anyone or care about your sympathies?  Barack Obama, Nancy Pelosi and liberal coastal elitest dooshbags like me are gonna be just fine health care wise no matter what. Poor people are the ones who are gonna be hurt the most by it, and they're not confined to one political party.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed one of my senators for the first time ever over this. Hopefully a lot of people did. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some advice that won't be taken...instead of throwing out the buzz phrases or snarky comments that people are tired of hearing this would be a great time to use some black and white facts without side commentary as to why this bill is bad (or good if that is how you feel)...this is definitely an area where I think people will let their partisan-guard down and listen to people they may normally disagree with as this effects everyone...this is not some social issue that people have a reflex reaction to...I have zero issues admitting I don't fully understand some stuff in this area but once the condescending lecturing/partisan sniping starts it's over before it begins because I just don't want to listen to someone who presents their case in that manner because I lose trust that they don't have some type of political agenda... 

Edited by Boston
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Boston said:

Just some advice that won't be taken...instead of throwing out the buzz phrases or snarky comments that people are tired of hearing this would be a great time to use some black and white facts without side commentary as to why this bill is bad (or good if that is how you feel)...this is definitely an area where I think people will let their partisan-guard down and listen to people they may normally disagree with as this effects everyone...this is not some social issue that people have a reflex reaction to...I have zero issues admitting I don't fully understand some stuff in this area but once the condescending lecturing/partisan sniping starts it's over before it begins because I just don't want to listen to someone who presents their case in that manner because I lose trust that they don't have some type of political agenda... 

There is a thread discussing the actual bill with links to the bill itself and some decent non-partisan articles on the subject.

7 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

And that thread thankfully contains only a handful of completely uninformed, partisan hack posts like this one in 56 pages and running.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

There is a thread discussing the actual bill with links to the bill itself and some decent non-partisan articles on the subject.

And that thread thankfully contains only a handful of completely uninformed, partisan hack posts like this one in 56 pages and running.

How come you didn't quote this one?

"Because Republicans are happily willing to kill off thousands of the poors to make rich people just a little bit richer. Priorities, you know."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quez said:

I agree with Rand Paul on this.  You have to take out the pre-existing.  It will never work when people wait until they are sick / unhealthy to get it.

Even if it could work, is the time after the great recession the best time to implement a huge social expense?  If anything wait until America is great again, the budget is balanced, and our debt is paid off.  

Rands idea was if certain states want to add the pre-existing, let them raise their sales tax to pay for it.  That's just what I remember from hearing him on Hannity yesterday.

If you get sick and you can't afford to pay for treatment you should be allowed to die. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

How come you didn't quote this one?

"Because Republicans are happily willing to kill off thousands of the poors to make rich people just a little bit richer. Priorities, you know."

 

7 hours ago, proninja said:

Because Republicans are happily willing to kill off thousands of the poors to make rich people just a little bit richer. Priorities, you know. 

Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quez said:

I agree with Rand Paul on this.  You have to take out the pre-existing.  It will never work when people wait until they are sick / unhealthy to get it.

Even if it could work, is the time after the great recession the best time to implement a huge social expense?  If anything wait until America is great again, the budget is balanced, and our debt is paid off.  

Rands idea was if certain states want to add the pre-existing, let them raise their sales tax to pay for it.  That's just what I remember from hearing him on Hannity yesterday.

I understand what your saying in that if people wait to get insurance only when they get diagnosed with a disease then yea that in the end costs us all.

But what if you lose your job and can't afford the outrageous cost to continue coverage , or if you try to do better by moving to a better job and it is a different Insurance company.

Wouldn't the waivers give Insurance companies the ability to charge you more, or even deny you coverage all together if you have a preexisting condition? :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, snogger said:

They force this P.O.S. through, then I fully expect the republicans will feel the same wrath from the public the Democrats have received over the last 8 years. :bye:

I'd like to believe this, but I keep hearing how nervous Republicans are, and then they just keep winning.  Everyone who voted in November knew Republicans prioritize the wealthy and knew (or should have known) this bill would reflect those "values".  The special election in GA was supposed to be a tossup, but the Republican won fairly easily.  In Montana a Republican got elected one day after assaulting a reporter.  Republicans always come home.  There's literally nothing they can do to alienate those loyal to the brand. 

And that wouldn't be enough, except that on the Democrats' side there's a giant rift between those who want establishment Democrats, including most of the African American and Latino population, and those who won't vote for anyone to the right of Bernie Sanders.  So even if they're only getting that 40-45% who always vote Republican, that could be enough in most cases. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quez said:

I agree with Rand Paul on this.  You have to take out the pre-existing.  It will never work when people wait until they are sick / unhealthy to get it.

Even if it could work, is the time after the great recession the best time to implement a huge social expense?  If anything wait until America is great again, the budget is balanced, and our debt is paid off.  

Rands idea was if certain states want to add the pre-existing, let them raise their sales tax to pay for it.  That's just what I remember from hearing him on Hannity yesterday.

Budget is balanced and debt paid off under Trump :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

You could take lessons from Quez on presenting an argument. This is just talking points nonsense here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

You could take lessons from Quez on presenting an argument. This is just talking points nonsense here.

:lmao:

Oh, the irony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've kind of lost the will to fight anymore. Bill won't effect me really, but probably gash a lot of rural, poor people. Hell, if they don't care and they voted for these trump idiots, then why should I? Let them feel the pain of their own stupidity. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because neither side actually care about us and their only job is to do the exact opposite of the other party just so they can pound their chest and say how ####ty their opponent is. 

If our politicians ever decide to put the country fist and put their partisan BS aside, we may actually make something workable...until then we are all ####ed.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The General said:

Budget is balanced and debt paid off under Trump :lol: ever

fixed that for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boston said:

Just some advice that won't be taken...instead of throwing out the buzz phrases or snarky comments that people are tired of hearing this would be a great time to use some black and white facts without side commentary as to why this bill is bad (or good if that is how you feel)...this is definitely an area where I think people will let their partisan-guard down and listen to people they may normally disagree with as this effects everyone...this is not some social issue that people have a reflex reaction to...I have zero issues admitting I don't fully understand some stuff in this area but once the condescending lecturing/partisan sniping starts it's over before it begins because I just don't want to listen to someone who presents their case in that manner because I lose trust that they don't have some type of political agenda... 

I see what you did here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd at least respect the republicans who support this if they'd just say this is to reduce what the governement spends/subsidizes for poorer people's health care.

There isn't a great solution either way.

But spare me this bull#### about lower deductibles, giving people more choices or power, etc. It's ####### embarrassing. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a whole lot of spin going on from both sides here. All sorts of doctored numbers to show why one side is right and the other is wrong. I want to give some real world numbers. Mine. Before Obamacare, I paid a couple hundred a month for a family of four for good health insurance. Then Obamacare nullified my plan and I got onto the ACA and it was pretty good. I honestly had no complaints. Then my premiums went up at an alarming rate which was matched by how bad my insurance became. Four years later, and I was paying more than my house payment for health insurance that I could not use because it was nothing more than insurance in name alone. We were afraid to have to use the insurance in any way because of what little it covered. 

Some of you know that I have a grilling blog which makes me some good coin along with an Instagram feed that also pays me really well to showcase products for brands. This year I will match my salary from my day job with those to sources of income, if not more. I would love to quit my job and expand my side business, but I can't because I can't afford insurance for what is now a family of 6 if I don't have a job that provides health insurance. The current healthcare system is killing the entrepreneurial spirit in this county. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TripItUp said:

Because under the democratic/obama regime healthcare costs skyrocketed??

 

Dems only have themselves to blame.

 

zero sympathy 

What do you like about this healthcare plan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheFanatic said:

The current healthcare system is killing the entrepreneurial spirit in this county. 

Very true. Pretty certain this isn't accidental either. "Keep working, keep paying taxes, be a good little drone". And then go die, leech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dedfin said:

As a person that posts in political threads, I'm saying there are too many political threads.  There is a healthcare thread, let's not rile up people that hate political threads by making more.

:goodposting:

Do the mods still merge threads?  Seems like it might be a good idea here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DanFouts said:

I've kind of lost the will to fight anymore. Bill won't effect me really, but probably gash a lot of rural, poor people. Hell, if they don't care and they voted for these trump idiots, then why should I? Let them feel the pain of their own stupidity. 

I have seen posts indicating it will impact everyone's insurances as it allows insurance companies to put life time and/or annual caps on people. I will admit, I have a very limited understanding of the bill and heath care but there are articles out there saying this will impact everyone with health insurance, even those receiving it through their employer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, huthut said:

They never intended to win the presidency, so they could say whatever they want to get their base fired up without actually having to have plan. Then they won and realized their base expects them to do something. Now they are scrambling to get their book report ready when they have not started reading the book yet.

Thanks russia!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

There is a whole lot of spin going on from both sides here. All sorts of doctored numbers to show why one side is right and the other is wrong. I want to give some real world numbers. Mine. Before Obamacare, I paid a couple hundred a month for a family of four for good health insurance. Then Obamacare nullified my plan and I got onto the ACA and it was pretty good. I honestly had no complaints. Then my premiums went up at an alarming rate which was matched by how bad my insurance became. Four years later, and I was paying more than my house payment for health insurance that I could not use because it was nothing more than insurance in name alone. We were afraid to have to use the insurance in any way because of what little it covered. 

Some of you know that I have a grilling blog which makes me some good coin along with an Instagram feed that also pays me really well to showcase products for brands. This year I will match my salary from my day job with those to sources of income, if not more. I would love to quit my job and expand my side business, but I can't because I can't afford insurance for what is now a family of 6 if I don't have a job that provides health insurance. The current healthcare system is killing the entrepreneurial spirit in this county. 

I appreciate your personal story (also awesome job on the blog, DM me a link) and non-partisan approach. I am in total agreement that the ACA needs revision. Do you like the new Senate plan? Why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one doesn't affect me now but it would have I think.

tl;dr version

Father in law had a mental disorder and poor health.  He didn't work because of his conditions.   When he was eligible at 65 he applied for Medicaid and received it.

We were able to find a home for him that would treat his mental conditions and physical ailments.  They fixed his eye sight, had heart surgery to save his life and even fixed his hip.

All paid for by medicaid.   Eventually succumbed to Alzheimer's.  Which they cared for him in the home until he passed.

 

There is no way we could have afforded to get him help and or have some one care for him 24/7 if not for medicaid.

Sad that people like him won't get to live "comfortable" in their final days.

 

Make no mistake, this was not some 4 star nursing home.  It was basically a crappy hospital that he had a roommate.   But he was able to live out his life under a roof with care and family visiting

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

I would love to quit my job and expand my side business, but I can't because I can't afford insurance for what is now a family of 6 if I don't have a job that provides health insurance. The current healthcare system is killing the entrepreneurial spirit in this county. 

For the life of me, I can not understand why American business isn't rallying behind a single payer option. W(hy)TF does any (non-health care) company want to be in the insurance administration business?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DanFouts said:

I've kind of lost the will to fight anymore. Bill won't effect me really, but probably gash a lot of rural, poor people. Hell, if they don't care and they voted for these trump idiots, then why should I? Let them feel the pain of their own stupidity. 

I don't want to agree with this but I kinda do at this point.

At this point, we have to decide as a country if healthcare is a right or a privilege. Until that happens, our healthcare system is going to be completely f'ed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.