What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Source IDP Depth Charts/Rankings (1 Viewer)

BoltBacker

Footballguy
.... besides FBG's of course.

We are just just about to begin drafting in a draft-and-go IDP league that is pretty deep(46 rounds) and I was curious what were some of the favorite sources for current IDP depth charts besides FBG of course. Also, I was curious which online rankings folks valued the most. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one I rely on, as well. MFL pulls from Roto so staying ahead of MFL designation changes gives an extra edge. http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/ is another i use but they are much slower to update scheme changes (CLE still listed as 3/4 there, where Roto already has the 4-3 they're expected to use) and position designation changes. 

None of the depth charts are particularly valuable at this time of the year. There is very little actionable information in them, and you're more likely to be lead in the wrong direction than to gain anything from them. To me they're too focused on base defenses, they're outdated during this time of the offseason, and they don't give a good understanding of role and IDP value. 

I would focus more on dynasty rankings and three down linebacker charts, like this one http://www.idpguru.com/2017/04/2017-every-down-linebackers.html I don't agree with all of these LB assessments but it serves as a good starting point for picking LBs that will get snap volume.

Edit: And projections. Projections are useful to get a good understanding of what the best short term moves are.

None of the depth charts are particularly valuable at this time of the year. There is very little actionable information in them, and you're more likely to be lead in the wrong direction than to gain anything from them. To me they're too focused on base defenses, they're outdated during this time of the offseason, and they don't give a good understanding of role and IDP value. 

I would focus more on dynasty rankings and three down linebacker charts, like this one http://www.idpguru.com/2017/04/2017-every-down-linebackers.html I don't agree with all of these LB assessments but it serves as a good starting point for picking LBs that will get snap volume.

Edit: And projections. Projections are useful to get a good understanding of what the best short term moves are.
This is simply incorrect.  Roto is very up to date.  Their opinions are prone to sucking some major wind at times, but the listing are pretty spot on.  They are updated early and often, with Cleveland and LAR, for example, being updated some time back in March.  SDC and SFO were later updates, but there was very little reliable information for them to rely on.

You article is useful to a point but for dynasty drafting has glaring omissions, with pretty much any young player not listed.  Duke Riley could have a big impact on Devondre Campbell's 3 down status, maybe even starting spot.  Kwiatkoswki, Tod Davis, Shaq Thompson, Malcolm Smith could get a big role in SFO, who's stepping in in Dallas, rookies like Riley, Cunningham????, Raekwon McMillan, etc are missing,   Oh, not to mention it only covers LB.  OP needs something for a startup draft and I'm guessing it's not a LB-only league.

This is simply incorrect.  Roto is very up to date.  Their opinions are prone to sucking some major wind at times, but the listing are pretty spot on.  They are updated early and often, with Cleveland and LAR, for example, being updated some time back in March.  SDC and SFO were later updates, but there was very little reliable information for them to rely on.

You article is useful to a point but for dynasty drafting has glaring omissions, with pretty much any young player not listed.  Duke Riley could have a big impact on Devondre Campbell's 3 down status, maybe even starting spot.  Kwiatkoswki, Tod Davis, Shaq Thompson, Malcolm Smith could get a big role in SFO, who's stepping in in Dallas, rookies like Riley, Cunningham????, Raekwon McMillan, etc are missing,   Oh, not to mention it only covers LB.  OP needs something for a startup draft and I'm guessing it's not a LB-only league.
I have two problems with Rotoworld depth charts:

1. They only focus on base formations when teams are spending 60-90% of time in nickel. So if you don't know who plays nickel and you're looking for an IDP resource to help you during your draft, then you are better served looking at snap counts, dynasty rankings and projections. Depth charts are just as likely to steer you in the wrong direction as they are to help you.

2. They are quite up to date, like you state, but this causes them to make errors and jump to conclusions during this time of the year. It's more of an opinion piece, it's not so much based on the most recent developments in OTAs and minicamp. I can find errors with pretty much every team, but the accuracy is secondary - the primary reason for it not being a great tool for drafting is that they focus on how teams line up in base.

It's not "my article", it's just the first updated 2017 three down linebacker chart I could find. PFF and FBG typically do them during the season, but I don't think they have anyone for 2017 yet? As I stated I don't agree with all the LB assessments in the IDPGuru chart, but overall it serves as a good starting point for picking LBs that will get snap volume. I also wasn't advising him to only use the three down linebacker chart, it was meant as an additional tool along with rankings and/or snap counts and projections if he wants to dig deeper into it.

For depth charts I use PFF and sometimes FBG, but DLF is my favorite for rankings by far.

One DLF writer missed Eric Kendricks in his rankings, was asked about it and he explained his mishap and updated immediately.  One writer here continually misses Alec Ogletree (mind boggling), Khalil Mack (mind boggling), Jatavis Brown (mind boggling), Denzel Perryman (at least an argument), and Mark Barron (somewhat mind boggling); has been asked via Social Media and continues to publish updates while missing those players.

Sucks fielding garbage offer after garbage offer for Ogletree with the same argument that FBG has him collectively ranked 23rd in dynasty.... not asking for sympathy, only asking that due diligence is done to either update or add a hyperlink to the * to indicate why he's not ranked if there is a legit reason. I know it's a small thing but it is doing a great job in forcing my hand to rely on other sites more and more.

Edit: To add Jatavis Brown as being missed as well by the same writer. Needs explanation or correction vs. keeping subpar content to wash out the good content here.

For depth charts I use PFF and sometimes FBG, but DLF is my favorite for rankings by far.

One DLF writer missed Eric Kendricks in his rankings, was asked about it and he explained his mishap and updated immediately.  One writer here continually misses Alec Ogletree (mind boggling), Khalil Mack (mind boggling), Jatavis Brown (mind boggling), Denzel Perryman (at least an argument), and Mark Barron (somewhat mind boggling); has been asked via Social Media and continues to publish updates while missing those players.

Sucks fielding garbage offer after garbage offer for Ogletree with the same argument that FBG has him collectively ranked 23rd in dynasty.... not asking for sympathy, only asking that due diligence is done to either update or add a hyperlink to the * to indicate why he's not ranked if there is a legit reason. I know it's a small thing but it is doing a great job in forcing my hand to rely on other sites more and more.

Edit: To add Jatavis Brown as being missed as well by the same writer. Needs explanation or correction vs. keeping subpar content to wash out the good content here.
Explain?

Take a look at the dynasty rankings.  Some players are missed which gives them an outlier when computing average.  So for instance Ogletree is ranked 3 and * so he shows up way down in the 20s.
Looks like Jeff Haseley. Have you asked him about it?

eta - I emailed him

Hey guys, thanks for the oversight on Ogletree. It's not because I don't like the guy. When we do our rankings, we assign a team with each player. Early on in the rankings season, I assigned LA to all Rams and those players were not showing up in the front end of the rankings pages. After learning the reason why, I had to go back and switch all of my Rams to LAR. I must've missed switching Ogletree. The same was the case for SD and LAC. I thought I got all of them switched, but I must've missed Ogletree dynasty. I'm making the update now.  Sorry for the oversight and thanks for pointing it out.  If there's any others from LAC or LAR I missed, please let me know.  

Oh man, looks like I did not update all of my IDP LAC and LAR.  Doing so today.  Again, my apologies for the oversight.  

Users who are viewing this thread