What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

21 unwritten rules of Air Travel (per Thrillist) (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
I agree with pretty much all of them:

(per Thrillist)

1. Never ask if you can skip someone in the security line. It’s amazing how much better the airport experience is if you’re not in a going-into-labor-in-the-back-of-the-cab-sized hurry. Sure, you can cut it close and run up to the security check sweating, near tears, begging to cut the line. But then you unwittingly force someone into a spiraling moral dilemma: Should they say yes and avoid looking like a total ****, or should they take a stand against you, the inconsiderate screwup? And do they have the authority to make the call either way, thereby speaking for all the other people in line you’ll also be skipping? If you’re at the point of panic, get an agent involved. Better yet, be on time.

2. Don’t get upset if the TSA agents are rude to you. Think about what they deal with! Despite repeating themselves on a near constant loop, there are still dipsticks who don’t put their laptop in a separate bin. Who half-assedly push their bag through the line with their foot watching Hulu on their phone and then act surprised they have to take their shoes off. The only thing more amateur? Taking umbrage against a “rude” agent who’s just doing his or her job. It should also go without saying: Don't argue with the flight attendant. 

3. Don’t leave, like, 20 bins of your personal belongings sitting on the edge of the conveyer belt for the poor schmuck behind you to push through while you la-di-da off to the body scanner.

4. Don’t ask a stranger to watch your stuff. Gotta pee? Run to Starbucks? Take your #### with you. You seem very nice but regretfully I cannot accept responsibility of your personal items, good Lord I barely got myself here at all. What if my name gets called? What if we start boarding? Also, I don’t know if you’ve heard, but there’s this thing they repeatedly announce over the loudspeaker -- what was it, oh yes -- don’t watch #### for strangers.

5. You can’t get mad if someone “cuts” you during boarding. Accept the boarding process as an absurdist attempt to bring order to chaos and just go with it. Time is a flat circle and we’re all going to Louisville at the same speed.

6. No hot food of any kind on a plane. Especially if it’s from a fast-food joint that has a highly identifiable smell. There’s nothing more atrocious than the trapped odors of grease and meat on a plane. Worse than snakes, even.

7. If you can’t lift your own bag, don’t carry it on. Once I was cozying up in the aisle seat and a hardtop Samsonite someone was feebly attempting to hoist into the overhead bin landed on the flat of my head, prompting the anxious soul next to me to remark on the near-certainty of my death had I been elderly or a child. Said soul then insisted I remain awake for the duration of the flight, for fear I would die from brain bleeding while pressing a soggy Ziploc bag of ice to my head. Not great.

8. The only acceptable place to fart on a plane is when you are walking through first class on the way to coach.

9. You are morally obligated to offer to switch seats so someone can sit next to the child, elderly, or sick person in their accompaniment. Otherwise, you have the right to refuse the request. Their honeymoon be damned.

10. Don't recline in economy. No, listen to me, #######: Don't recline in economy. The amount of extra comfort you gain is nothing compared to the chain reaction of pain you have just set off behind you, in which every other passenger in your path is consigned to a modified form of the Trolley Problem, whereby they can either subject themselves and possibly the person next to them to hours of discomfort by doing nothing, or continue the chain reaction by reclining their own seat to gain a little room. If you have the world's most specific back problem and must sit at precisely a 110-degree angle, then turn around, ask the person behind you if this is OK, and give them time to arrange their laptop, knees, and soul for what you are about to inflict, you heartless life-ruiner who should have taken the bus.

11. Middle seat gets the arm rests. Always and without question. The unlucky soul in the middle seat has one thing going for them: sole ownership of the middle armrests. At best, you can maybe sort-of lean your elbow on the tiny edge of the armrest. “What if they aren’t using it, can I use it then?” NO. You audacious, privileged monster. Go back to enjoying your window and/or breathing room.

12. You are allowed to say something to a parent if their kid is being obnoxious. You are not allowed to be a #### about a screaming baby. Because that baby is a baby, and thus cannot control its actions, and hushing it up is no cake walk. But parents, if you don’t intervene when your sugar-high five-year-old goes to town kicking my seat, don’t be aghast when I turn around and do it for you.

13. You are still responsible for yourself when you’re asleep. Someone once woke me up to inform me the drink cart was coming by. Not OK. The only time it's acceptable to wake your neighbor, besides having to pee, is when they’ve lost control of their basic faculties. No snoring so loudly people around you are snickering, no spilling over the sacred divide of the armrest between us and nestling your head on my shoulder.

14. Don’t HALF stand up when someone needs to get out of the row, forcing them to awkwardly crawl their way past your legs, trying as hard as possible not to touch your body. Stand up like a decent person and step out into the aisle.

15. Don’t grab the back of every seat when you walk down the aisle. Your fellow passengers don’t deserve to be yanked around every time you rise. Don’t use the back of the seat for momentum on your long crawl to the bathroom. If you're wearing a backpack while boarding, take it off and carry it by your side, because as soon as you turn, both your butt and your backpack are going to smack into someone's head.

16. Don’t get turnt. Time-based social mores cease to exist on planes; you can drink at any point, at any hour, with impunity. Remain charming to the flight attendants and they will readily booze you up because you’re such a delight. But remember your bloody mary does double duty at high altitude than it does on the ground, so slow your roll. And don’t you dare have the balls to place your auxiliary drink or food item on your neighbor’s tray table if you run out of space on yours.

17. Don’t freak the eff out if there’s turbulence. When a plane feels bumpy, that’s not really “turbulence.” And I don't want to jinx anything, but actual turbulence -- even pretty gnarly turbulence -- isn't really dangerous. It's just dangerous to you, personally, if you don't know how to listen and put on your seatbelt when the pilot says so. (So put on your seatbelt.)

18. Don’t stick your bare feet out in the aisle. It may alarm you to know just how many people in this world have unnaturally strong feelings about feet. So if you must remove your shoes, keep them out of sight. And don’t fall asleep with your feet stretched out in the aisle. It’s your responsibility to remain aware enough to retract them when someone passes by.

19. If you have to use an airsickness bag, for the love of all the travel gods, double bag it. In fact, ask the people around you for their bags and reinforce it with as many layers as you possibly can. Because despite the fact that these things are designed for one purpose only, they will fail you in the crucial moment, leaving you with a lap full of last night’s Thai at takeoff on the first flight of a three-leg journey. (The silver lining: If your SO then hands you an airplane blanket, instructs you to wear it like a toga, and handwashes your pants in one of those tiny bathroom sinks where you have to hold the tap down to get a steady stream of water -- you know it’s true love.)

20. You may not rush to the front and cut people when you’re getting off the plane. When the seatbelt sign turns off, there’s always that scumbag in the back who attempts to charge his way up to wherever his carry-on is stowed. Or the scumbag who only has a backpack who tries to book it to the front. YOU WAIT. YOU FILE OUT. IN ORDER. Sole exception: Asking politely if you can go ahead because you have a connecting flight.

21. Don’t aggressively crowd the belt in baggage claim. You make your way down to baggage claim. You are tired. You find that perfect spot. You leave about 3 feet of space between you and the belt, so that if some other passenger sees their bag, they can swoop in and grab it. Don’t be the jerk who steps into that 3 feet of space and takes up residence. If your bag is late, grinding against the baggage carousel will not make it magically reappear. Sir, relax. Everyone’s trying to get home. You’ll get there too.

Posting while on a plane.  These are generally good.  #3 needs the more-important corollary that when your #### comes out of the X-ray machine, you move that #### down to the very end before you start putting your belt/shoes/watch/whatever back on.

#15 and #20 are the two most important to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to argue with any of these, and most seem like common sense to a somewhat frequent flyer. 

McDonalds or fried chicken on a plane is terrible. 

Any tips on saving on rental cars?

I always just use Kayak but didn't know if there was another trick I was missing.

Any tips on saving on rental cars?

I always just use Kayak but didn't know if there was another trick I was missing.
stay tuned for when thrillist does their unwritten rules on saving on rental cars.

coming soon. just for you. in another thread.

9. You are morally obligated to offer to switch seats so someone can sit next to the child, elderly, or sick person in their accompaniment.
No, I'm not. I bought my seat. You bought yours. If the seat assignment is not acceptable to you then you can search for another flight. Like all things in life failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency (or "moral obligation") on mine.

Along with #1 should be dont ##### and complain about the long line at security (or ticketing counters) when you got there 5 mins before your flight.  You KNOW there is security to get through.  You KNOW to be there an hour or two before your flight.  Dont be an arsehole because YOU were late.

Great list.

:lmao:  @ #8

#10 seems to bother the most people. I am the rare person who doesn't recline and doesn't care all that much when the person in front of me does (unless I already think they're a #### for some reason).

#21 is one of my biggest peeves (pretty sure I wrote that in the thread dedicated to that)

No, I'm not. I bought my seat. You bought yours. If the seat assignment is not acceptable to you then you can search for another flight. Like all things in life failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency (or "moral obligation") on mine.
we just had the airline switch our flight and seat our young kids apart from us, in spite of us previously reserving seats together. 

thankfully we didn't sit next to you.

No, I'm not. I bought my seat. You bought yours. If the seat assignment is not acceptable to you then you can search for another flight. Like all things in life failures to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency (or "moral obligation") on mine.
"morally obligated" seems like a poor choice of words. "you're pretty much an ###hole if you don't" would be a better way to say it.

#10 and #11 are chiseled in stone. I travel constantly and those are my two biggest pet peeves.

Also, I'd add one more:  If you are at your final destination and not in a hurry, let people who are rushing to catch a connection deplane first, even if they are seated behind you.

#7 Does not apply to the elderly or hot women that I can help with their bags.

#10 Does not apply on international flights or really any flight over 5-6 hours.  Don't tell me any of you are not reclining your seat on that 15 hour flight to Hong Kong.

I recline.  I do so with polite notice it is coming, but I do it with or without permission.  Given my stature and my orthopedic injury history it is a near necessity.  Plane seats seem to be designed to fit a person 5-6 or so inches in all the right spots.  On me, not so.  I purchased a reclining seat and I use it.  The person behind me purchased a seat behind a reclining seat and did so knowingly.  Their right to complain to me is non-existent.

As with all general rules my stance does not go if the person behind me is elderly, pregnant, or hot.

I agree with pretty much all of them:

(per Thrillist)
Me too. That's a solid list.... especially for Thrillist that's usually a hair above clickbait. 

#3 needs the more-important corollary that when your #### comes out of the X-ray machine, you move that #### down to the very end before you start putting your belt/shoes/watch/whatever back on.
YES. Slide to the end...Grab your ####... don what is quick and necessary... REMOVE AND STACK YOUR EMPTY BINS...... then move to the benches to finish up, put on your shoes (if you're not wearing slip-ons like a smart traveller) and be on your way. 

biggest beef here is the use of "turnt" in the article ... just, no  :unsure:

pretty PC as well, seeing as they skirt around the issue of fat basts ####### things up for folks who are actually smaller than a Volkswagen Beetle  :shrug:

Flew just two days ago.  Connecting flight situation.  Naples to Detroit to Denver.  Deplaning in Detroit a large man a few rows in front of me was noticeably shaking.  Making it to the jet way he then hurled, vomiting right in the center of the jet way.  Things happen, folks get sick, not everything can be helped.  Still, one hopes to not have been in a plane with an ill person.  The tight confines of an aluminum  tube with circulating air is no place to be with a sick person, particularly so when that person is shaking to the point of seizing and is projectile vomiting, I mean who wants to be flying with the guy that a week later is called "Patient 0"? 

The airline let him board the next flight, my flight.  Really?  They knew his condition and yet they let him board?  Their employees offered th eguy assistance after he ralphed so they knew.

Posting while on a plane.  These are generally good.  #3 needs the more-important corollary that when your #### comes out of the X-ray machine, you move that #### down to the very end before you start putting your belt/shoes/watch/whatever back on.

#15 and #20 are the two most important to me.
21.   Posting on a plane.   Oh wait, I just did it also. 

#10 and #11 are chiseled in stone. I travel constantly and those are my two biggest pet peeves.

Also, I'd add one more:  If you are at your final destination and not in a hurry, let people who are rushing to catch a connection deplane first, even if they are seated behind you.
There was a long thread about seat reclining here a while back.  

#### you reclining jackasses.  

Most of these seem solid. #6 is kind of goofy, considering they serve hot food on planes. And almost all planes serve cheese plates of some sort, too. I'd agree it's rude to bring fish, or really stinky hot food on the flight, but no "hot food" sounds more like a personal gripe of the writer.

#10 is not going to happen until they make seats that don't recline. I'm always very cautious, but if it's a long flight, I'm going to recline a little. Especially since the person in front of me always reclines, which I never mind, whether I happen to recline or not. 

It seems like a lot of people get themselves in confrontation mode before they fly. Have a drink, bring a good movie/book and just chill out.

Pilot put on the fasten seat belts sign and announced turbulence ahead.  The Flight attendants continued with drink service. Expecting turbulence they kept themselves and their cart full of little hazards right there in the aisle.  The lady in front of me ordered coffee.  The gave it to her in a cup without a lid, after a turbulence announcement.  The predictable followed. 

How can they not have lids on their coffee.  Seems a lawsuit begging to happen.

If you have gnarly feet, put socks on for the flight.  When everyone has to take their shoes off at security no one wants to see your yellow toenailed, nasty ### forklift feet.  

biggest beef here is the use of "turnt" in the article ... just, no  :unsure:
I had to look that word up. Surmised it meant "drunk" or similar.

Seriously ... "turnt" is a thing? Guess I'm old ... going-out days are 20+ years in the rearview window.

4. When ordering food, find out what she wants then order for both of you. It’s a classy move.

Pilot put on the fasten seat belts sign and announced turbulence ahead.  The Flight attendants continued with drink service. Expecting turbulence they kept themselves and their cart full of little hazards right there in the aisle.  The lady in front of me ordered coffee.  The gave it to her in a cup without a lid, after a turbulence announcement.  The predictable followed. 

How can they not have lids on their coffee.  Seems a lawsuit begging to happen.
There are different degrees of turbulence severity and  a lot of it is fairly predictable.  Flights ahead of them also communicate where bad turbulence has been experienced.  I've seen flights where they did have to cancel drink service and the attendants all buckled up because of expected turbulence.  That's when I knew it was going to get very bumpy.  

#20 (filing out in order) doesn't seem like it should have to be explained, but so many people have problems with this. 

#20 - on a late arrival, don't be the person whining to the people in front of you "but I'm going to miss my flight".  We all got here at the same time, and 85% of us are connecting, and most of those people are going to be late for their flight too.  Seems like the people that say this must think they are the only ones with a late connection.

Let me guess...male, 22-25 years old, no kids?

It's a wonder your post doesn't have any likes, even when this thread is littered with them. Strange stuff...

When being helpful and passing a drink from the Flight attendant to the window seat passenger grip the glass by the bottom. Do not do so my the rim, and definitely do not have your fingers inside the top of the cup.

Has anyone here used those wedges you can buy to keep the seat in front of you from reclining?  If so, please report how they worked out. TIA

it's fun reading this thread while on a plane to Vegas.  

Pro tip.  on southwest, you can access the ffa without having to pay the internet fee.  Just connect to their WiFi.   Can't get to any other site lol.  

11. Middle seat gets the arm rests. Always and without question. The unlucky soul in the middle seat has one thing going for them: sole ownership of the middle armrests. At best, you can maybe sort-of lean your elbow on the tiny edge of the armrest. “What if they aren’t using it, can I use it then?” NO. You audacious, privileged monster. Go back to enjoying your window and/or breathing room.
I agree 100% with the list except for this. And maybe farting on your way through first class.  :lmao:

This week I flew in the back of the bus on a 6 hour EWR-LAX flight--first time in years I haven't been upgraded--while coming back from Barcelona.  Because I lift, my shoulders hang over the arm rest.  I sit in the aisle and lean out to limit my intrusion on the seat next to me.  I also sit at an angle so my arms aren't in the seat next to me....but to me, any man sitting in middle seat is a moron.  Middle seats are for women and children.  Because a man was stupid enough to choose a middle seat, there is no "right to arm rest."  You do the best you can to accommodate each other.  My seatmate and I shared; he reclined back and took the 'back' while I sat at an angle and dangled my arms over the front (never touching the arm rest). I think common courtesy goes along way, and most of this list is really just being courteous to each other....but none of this "middle gets arm rest" nonsense.

Along with #1 should be dont ##### and complain about the long line at security (or ticketing counters) when you got there 5 mins before your flight.  You KNOW there is security to get through.  You KNOW to be there an hour or two before your flight.  Dont be an arsehole because YOU were late.
#1 is the one I take issue with, particularly the term "never."  If I'm running late because a meeting went late or something else out of my control, I'm going to the front of the line if at all possible if the penalty for failure to do so is I have to miss my flight and sit in an airport for 6 hours, or worse, spend a night in a hotel rather than in my own home.

I recline.  I do so with polite notice it is coming, but I do it with or without permission.  Given my stature and my orthopedic injury history it is a near necessity.  Plane seats seem to be designed to fit a person 5-6 or so inches in all the right spots.  On me, not so.  I purchased a reclining seat and I use it.  The person behind me purchased a seat behind a reclining seat and did so knowingly.  Their right to complain to me is non-existent.

As with all general rules my stance does not go if the person behind me is elderly, pregnant, or hot.
IMAGINE IF THEY WERE ALL 3!!!

:pickle: :wub: :excited:

Decent stuff that most of the "We're in this together" people already understand and the "I want it my way and only my way" sociopaths ignore.

Nothing wrong with reclining on a non-ancient aircraft.  Mostly the top of the seat that moves, inch or two max encroachment into your leg space.  Of you don't like it, take the ####### train.

Sat on the tarmac in Vegas for 2 hours and 45 minutes recently.  Instead of simply taking us back to the gate and letting people get off the plane and breathe, they brought portable air conditioners to the jet.

To top it off, this was on a Monday and at the end of the EDC Festival or whatever they call it.  Electronic music.  People from all over the world, who'd just got done with Molly and whatever else, coming down.  3 day Festival.  Please sit and enjoy, while the flight attendants tell everyone to relax. 

The pilot would get on the broken intercom and BS everybody. The best one was when he claimed they had paperwork from New York to fill out.  And then we'd be on our way.  

The anxiety was off the charts.

Jet Blue.

Nothing wrong with reclining on a non-ancient aircraft.  Mostly the top of the seat that moves, inch or two max encroachment into your leg space.  Of you don't like it, take the ####### train.
Some of us are tall enough that there is no inch or two to give.  I actually don't mind though, so long as the recliner doesn't mind my kneecap digging into their spine.  There's nowhere else for my knees to go.  

There are different degrees of turbulence severity and  a lot of it is fairly predictable.  Flights ahead of them also communicate where bad turbulence has been experienced.  I've seen flights where they did have to cancel drink service and the attendants all buckled up because of expected turbulence.  That's when I knew it was going to get very bumpy.  
That's the worst. 

If you recline on an airplane seat that isn't in first class you are a monster, at least when it comes to flying. End of story. 

That's the worst. 

If you recline on an airplane seat that isn't in first class you are a monster, at least when it comes to flying. End of story. 
If a reclining seat causes you so much discomfort that you are going to be a ##### about it, you should be the one upgrading to economy-plus or business class.  As much as they nickel and dime you these days, they should really charge a premium for larger travelers.

And they will book you on the same flight the next day at the same time.  All the while knowing there's no way that sucker is taking off in 115 degree heat.  It's hilarious.  Middle of the desert.  Not a chance in hell the weather is going to somehow drop and we'll get this bird off the ground.

You are welcome to board again!  Portable AC is on its way.  And heat.

Users who are viewing this thread