What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Mack, RB, DEN (3 Viewers)

ShamrockPride

Footballguy
Let's start this hype train! :drive:

What can we expect this year and beyond? Does he overtake Gore at some point, or is Turbin gonna delay this? The coaches seem to like him a lot already from all the reports I've read so far. As long as he can find a better grip on the ball, this could be a very long and lucrative ride for dynasty owners. Re-draft discussion welcome of course as well.

Last edited:
Marlon was a 4-star HS recruit originally committed to UCLA but switched to USF after a coaching change at UCLA. Highly productive and efficient all three years at USF (even averaging over 5.0 ypc with 1k yards and 9tds as a true freshman!) and got better every season, capped off by an absolutely dominate junior campaign with 15 rushing tds and nearly 7 ypc. Needless to say USF leaned on him heavily and he had a sizable opportunity share.

Athletically, he is well above average with adequate size and workout metrics. Mockdraftable (strictly athleticism) gives the best comps as bernard pierce, jordan howard, javorius allen. Playerprofiler (athleticism, production, breakout age, etc) give a best comp of todd gurley. Mack is no joke and should be viewed as a legit candidate to own the backfield soon. He handled the bellcow role well and has never had any serious injuries. 

I like Mack more than anyone outside of the big 4 rookie rbs (mixon, mccaffrey, fournette, cook). My strategy has been to draft Mack with a 2nd round pick, and trade my 3rd for Gore. Owning the Colts backfield for a 2nd and 3rd round rookie pick is pretty sweet

Bounces outside a little bit too much for my taste and we've been waiting for Gore to finally cede to someone for quite some time now.  

That said, I like Mack.  I think NFL coaching will bring a lot out of him.

PFF SCOUTING REPORT: MARLON MACK, RB, SOUTH FLORIDA

Rather than cut his losses or just get what he can, he too often completely reverses field. Can lead to the occasional big play, but also causes him to lose even more yards.
This is the thing about Mack that bothers me the most. Some of his big runs come from reversing field like this, but that is something I do not see transitioning to the pro level. Defenders are just too good for him to get away with this. The lost yardage will really piss coaches off if he tries to do this at the pro level.

DraftBreakdown cut ups

If we are excited about Mack being behind Gore in terms if likely opportunity, then we must also have to be excited by Turbin, who is  a seasoned pro, knows they system inside out and has the coach's confidence (especially near the GL).

In 2017 Im putting my money on Turbin as the sleeper here.

2018 is a different story, but one which will likely be written during this season.

If we are excited about Mack being behind Gore in terms if likely opportunity, then we must also have to be excited by Turbin, who is  a seasoned pro, knows they system inside out and has the coach's confidence (especially near the GL).

2018 is a different story, but one which will likely be written during this season.
He's played in the league 6 seasons and averaged 3.9 ypc.  Season high rushing yards?  354.

So yeah, he's in the mix.  But why is he likely to do much?  Because he's a pro?  Sure, maybe.

He's played in the league 6 seasons and averaged 3.9 ypc.  Season high rushing yards?  354.

So yeah, he's in the mix.  But why is he likely to do much?  Because he's a pro?  Sure, maybe.
Because as a pro he knows the system, how to block and what his franchise QB wants of him.

Im not expecting miracles. My point is that if you think that Mack has opportunity because Gore is going to break down, then you have to recognise that Turbin is there as well.

If the Colts are sitting a 4-2 or something like that, and Gore gets hurt or starts falling off a cliff, I think they turn to Turbin to keep things steady and let Luck do his stuff.

And his 8 TD last year cannot be ignored either.

You say seasoned vet, I say 6th year pro on his 4th team and has never had more than 80 carries in a season. Coming into the NFL, Turbin checked all the boxes, but his NFL track record screams JAG. 

If this kid can't unseat and pass Turbin on the depth chart by week 1, then he's got little future in the NFL. Turbin is JAG at best. 

Because as a pro he knows the system, how to block and what his franchise QB wants of him.

Im not expecting miracles. My point is that if you think that Mack has opportunity because Gore is going to break down, then you have to recognise that Turbin is there as well.

If the Colts are sitting a 4-2 or something like that, and Gore gets hurt or starts falling off a cliff, I think they turn to Turbin to keep things steady and let Luck do his stuff.

And his 8 TD last year cannot be ignored either.
The 8 TDs were big last year and he might be the GL back this year. That is a big bonus for him. If Gore gets hurt, Turbin will absolutely be an asset and get a shot at lots of touches. However, Mack has a chance to win the role of pass catching RB to start the year (he was a really good receiver at USF, even lining up wide and running routes). Then, if something happens with Gore (injury or ineffective), Mack has a chance to see his role grow. It isn't difficult to imagine Turbin being outplayed. 

This smells like classic summer hype of the young guys.

Turbin isnt the next all pro, but he's been in the league, knows protections, scores TD and is getting praised by his OC.

I like youth as much as the next guy in this game, especially at RB, but this is one scenario when I am not over looking the other guy inf favor of the rookie if there is a changing of the guard.

Turbin isnt the next all pro, but he's been in the league, knows protections, scores TD and is getting praised by his OC.

I like youth as much as the next guy in this game, especially at RB, but this is one scenario when I am not over looking the other guy inf favor of the rookie if there is a changing of the guard.
He actually has very little hype. The summer hype is on Kareem Hunt. 

When have the Colts ever cared about protecting Luck? 
Well the Colts perhaps not one of the better well run teams around. Which should make you wonder a bit about their decision to draft Mack.

Just pointing out that this might be an area of weakness that could cause the Colts to play Turbin or someone else over Mack, should Gore not be available or getting it done.

Well the Colts perhaps not one of the better well run teams around. Which should make you wonder a bit about their decision to draft Mack.

Just pointing out that this might be an area of weakness that could cause the Colts to play Turbin or someone else over Mack, should Gore not be available or getting it done.
I know, I was kidding. Mack is basically free in redraft and has a better outlook imo than Turbin. Mack has a chance to be the pass catching RB, Mack has an unknown upside that Turbin doesn't. It seems like Turbin's only chance at value is Gore disappears and Turbin falls into the end zone 10 times. Mack has more outs imo.

I agree. Just playing a bit of devils advaocate here pointing out some of Macks weaknesses.

I still really like Mack and I think he has RB two upside for fantasy. I think he is similar to Paul Perkins from last year.

I'm thinking the new GM will rock.

Gore is still going to get touches and Turbin was rated as one of the top running back blockers last year. The Mack train will have to wait another year for sure. 

Classic?

Maybe that's because there is no shortage of rookie RBs that come in and become major fantasy contributors all of the sudden, while there is an extreme shortage of 6th year pros that have never run for more than 360 yards in a season that come in and become major fantasy contributors all of the sudden.

The Jordan Howard's and Rob Kelley's of the fantasy world outnumber the Justin Forsett's by like a 20 to 1 ratio, so it's not a bad bet.  And even Forsett had eclipsed Turbin's current career high in rushing three times already by his 6th year.

Are highlight reels the best way to watch film? He has a hit or miss style which looks brilliant when it works. But watch a full game and you'll see plenty of 5 yard pick-ups which he turns into negative runs or short gains. And the dude doesn't have great NFL speed to bust big ones all the time. He sort of reminds of the guy the Giants drafted a few years ago, David Wilson.

Mack has pretty good talent with agility and breaking tackles. So big potential if he can follow the direction of his coaches and learn when to settle for 3 yards.

Ilov80s said:
Not necessarily.  That's why they are called highlights, not lowlights.  If a player is running through holes that are six feet wide, it may not be a good indicator of how he will do against NFL competition.  I like to look at yards after first contact and whether he is seeing holes correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread