What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Mack, RB, DEN (3 Viewers)

If he can hold onto the football he has a great opportunity. Putting 12 on the carpet in 3 years is bad. Seems like a long shot.

If he can hold onto the football he has a great opportunity. Putting 12 on the carpet in 3 years is bad. Seems like a long shot.
I drafted him in one league - I like the way he runs, but I don't like the way he carries the ball at all. At times he lets his arm swing out with the ball in his hand and if he does that at the NFL level he'll never survive. I hope the coaching staff put in a lot of time with him on ball security.

I drafted him in one league - I like the way he runs, but I don't like the way he carries the ball at all. At times he lets his arm swing out with the ball in his hand and if he does that at the NFL level he'll never survive. I hope the coaching staff put in a lot of time with him on ball security.
Frank Gore can be a good influence on this kid. 

Legit complaint. He's had 8 fumbles in 2 years of play. He's got issues and is most likely going to fail, but he has a shot to play in a great offense. 

Legit complaint. He's had 8 fumbles in 2 years of play. He's got issues and is most likely going to fail, but he has a shot to play in a great offense. 
It's obvious why he has a fumbling issue - I've never seen a more bizarre style of carrying the ball at times. Hopefully the staff puts in the time to rid him of this.

I've seen footage where he's holding his arm away from his body holding the ball with just his one hand as he's trying to evade a defender. He doesn't do it on every carry, but I saw it a few times during the game cut ups I watched. So if I saw it a few times in the limited number of carries I saw, I'm thinking it happened other times as well. A look at his high fumble rate says he has trouble with ball security at the very least. 

ETA: That will cause major problems for him on the pro level where guys can strip the ball away even when guys are carrying the ball properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen footage where he's holding his arm away from his body holding the ball with just his one hand as he's trying to evade a defender. He doesn't do it on every carry, but I saw it a few times during the game cut ups I watched. So if I saw it a few times in the limited number of carries I saw, I'm thinking it happened other times as well. A look at his high fumble rate says he has trouble with ball security at the very least. 

ETA: That will cause major problems for him on the pro level where guys can strip the ball away even when guys are carrying the ball properly.
You must not have seen much footage of RBs from long ago run with the ball then.  Walter Payton ran with the ball just in the palm of his hand while evading defenders a lot.  It always amazed me that he could get away with that.

Cool.  Mack should be just fine then.
Just saying, I didn't see anything more bazaar than any RBs I've seen in the past.  Doesn't mean it's a good thing, just that it's been done before and by some great RBs.  

The thing with ball security is that it can be worked on and improved.  I remember when Tiki Barber was having fumbling issues and changed the way he held the ball.  Worked well for him.

You must not have seen much footage of RBs from long ago run with the ball then.  Walter Payton ran with the ball just in the palm of his hand while evading defenders a lot.  It always amazed me that he could get away with that.
Yes - but defenders are now so focused on stripping the ball (in lieu of tackling properly at times) it's more of an issue now. Plus while I like Mack, let's not act like he's established enough to survive putting the ball on the ground.

I didn't need to see footage of Walter, since I'm old enough to have watched him play. IMO I list him as the best RB I've ever seen play when making GOAT lists by position.

Yes - but defenders are now so focused on stripping the ball (in lieu of tackling properly at times) it's more of an issue now. Plus while I like Mack, let's not act like he's established enough to survive putting the ball on the ground.

I didn't need to see footage of Walter, since I'm old enough to have watched him play. IMO I list him as the best RB I've ever seen play when making GOAT lists by position.
I agree that it's a whole different game now with how defenders hit and try to strip the ball.  I also agree that he's not established enough to survive too many fumbles but I do see some talent and know that ball security can be fixed.

I agree that it's a whole different game now with how defenders hit and try to strip the ball.  I also agree that he's not established enough to survive too many fumbles but I do see some talent and know that ball security can be fixed.
Yes - I think he's a really smooth and shows nice "quicks" as a runner - like I said I drafted him in one league where I thought he was worth the risk. I also said I hope that the staff focuses on his ball security. But if he falls back into his bad habits though, he will not have a long career unless he also quickly establishes that he's a dynamic runner at the NFL level.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Friday he believes fourth-round RB Marlon Mack can be a "special player."

An undisciplined but big-play talent at USF, Mack's NFL readiness was called into question by draft analysts. "He's popping out there. He's a talented guy. He's showing great athleticism, great vision," said Pagano. "We were doing one-on-one pass protection drills against linebackers, and he's physical. He's got toughness. He's not afraid to stick his face in there and pick up blitzers." Mack should win the Colts' No. 3 back job behind 34-year-old Frank Gore and journeyman Robert Turbin.

Source: ESPN.com 

Aug 4 - 3:47 PM

Kinda hard to put much faith in this, since Pagano gave the same glowing reviews on Josh Ferguson in camp last year. Although Mack was 4th round pick, whereas Ferguson was UDFA. If Gore gets hurt this year Turbin will get the nod, and the long-term starting RB isn't on the roster. Next year's class is strong at the top, but not as deep as this year's. 

Colts coach Chuck Pagano compared rookie Marlon Mack to Jamaal Charles.

"He's a slasher, athletic, good vision. Whether he’s carrying the ball, catching it, protecting on third down, he's got the size and toughness to pick up guys, he’s real talented. Reminds you of Jamaal Charles." Mack is fully healthy after missing the preseason opener with a hamstring injury. His debut was one of the only bright spots for the Colts last week, rushing for 45 yards on five carries. Mack is going to open the season behind Frank Gore, but has potential to play into a starting role.

Source: 1070 The Fan

Aug 26 - 2:21 PM

I was praying Mack fell to the late 2nd at least once (he didn't) throughout May when there was no buzz. How the hell he fall to the 4th in any league?

Grabbed him in the 4th of Rookie/FA draft.

Tex
Wow ... i guess that's nice for you, but why did you wait? 

I took him at 2.01 in my rookie draft. 

Now way I would've let him get out of the 3rd round obviously. You're leaguemates must be sleeping ?

Wow ... i guess that's nice for you, but why did you wait? 

I took him at 2.01 in my rookie draft. 

Now way I would've let him get out of the 3rd round obviously. You're leaguemates must be sleeping ?
I took Mixon and Lynch in the 1st, Evan Engram in the 2nd, traded my 3rd, took Mack in the 4th. This is a very deep draft when I took Mack in the 4th it was like I sucked the air out of the room the guys started moaning lol! It was as if they didn't realize he was available! Which is one of the advantages of the Draft Dominator.

Tex

I was praying Mack fell to the late 2nd at least once (he didn't) throughout May when there was no buzz. How the hell he fall to the 4th in any league?
I expected him to go higher, I grabbed the best backs available as I didn't draft any WRs. I already have JuJu and M. Williams on my roster  as Devy players. While my mates were drafting WRs I was drafting RBs.

Tex

I took Mixon and Lynch in the 1st, Evan Engram in the 2nd, traded my 3rd, took Mack in the 4th. This is a very deep draft when I took Mack in the 4th it was like I sucked the air out of the room the guys started moaning lol! It was as if they didn't realize he was available! Which is one of the advantages of the Draft Dominator.

Tex
Nice work there Tex ?

I also took Mixon in the first ... 1.01 actually - then Mack with my 2.01.

ended up trading Mack post draft in a deal to acquire CMC.

im a big believer in Mack ... Indy has been trying to draft a young back forever it seems with no dice. I think they finally hit on this kid.

Not a good game for Mack, the touchdown notwithstanding. He had a bad fumble and ran with the indecision of a teenage girl. Gore didn't show his age either. With Mack's usage in the game I would have liked to have seen better from him, at least showing better than the old man. 

Mack did well in the open field though. Had a TD reception which didn't count as the Colts neglected to challenge. I don't know if they trust him in pass protection because Turbin came in for such assignments. This could hold him from a bid as third down back. 

ex-ghost said:
Looking good today. 
Real good. Beat the defense to the corner twice today for almost 2 TDs. He's just too fast. Will be interesting to see if this guy can carry a workhorse's work load as feature back when the opportunity comes knocking.

I'm intrigued. What's the situation going forward ? Gore is number 1, but Mack gets a healthy dose of touches each week ? 

Gore seems to be made of granite, wouldn't be expecting an injury with him. Is this a backfield Mack can win with merit , youth and vitality ?

I'm intrigued. What's the situation going forward ? Gore is number 1, but Mack gets a healthy dose of touches each week ? 

Gore seems to be made of granite, wouldn't be expecting an injury with him. Is this a backfield Mack can win with merit , youth and vitality ?
The best one can hope for this season outside of a Gore injury is a 60/40 split, with Mack being the 60. To date, he hasn't been too involved, but he was injured and out the past week or 2. I think this is the kind of game that forces a near, or very near even 50/50 split. He's certainly making a strong case for a larger workload going forward.

In dynasty, he's the real deal. A future RB1 (IMO).

I had seven players on a bye and four players out with injury in my dynasty superflex.  I had no choice but to play him....BWAAAHAHAAAAA.

I'm hoping he shows enough this year to keep the Colts from looking at drafting an RB next year.

Colts coach Chuck Pagano believes Marlon Mack has earned a bigger role.

Pagano doesn't coach the offense -- OC Rob Chudzinski does -- but Pagano certainly has say in playing time. Mack broke loose for 92 yards and a touchdown on ten touches in Sunday's win over San Francisco. "I think it would be wise to try to find ways to get (Marlon Mack) the football and get him more involved," Pagano said Monday. The Colts' backfield continues to trend toward an RBBC. Oct 9 - 4:41 PM

Source: George Bremer‏ on Twitter

Landed Mack today with the 1st WW priority.  

I have no expectation of him passing up Gore,  nor do I think he needs to (In PPR).  I think Gore can have a base 10-15 grinding touches, leaving room for Mack to make his money on other touches like big outside plays, receptions and RZ carries (Mack looks like a rocket getting downhill out of shotgun).  I have a hard time seeing Mack as a workhorse at all, even if Gore went down.   He's 5-11, 209, but has a lean build.   Plus,  he seems to get dung up (shoulder and elbow already). So instead of worrying about Gore getting out of the way,  I'm going to be more concerned about how Chud gets Mack in space and hope Luck comes back and helps this offense improve,  raising all tides and ships. 

Mack looks like Darren McFadden to me, but if I have to guess usage, I foresee Jamaal Charles under Haley, circa 2009.   Can't overuse him, but you can pick your spots and try to get the most out of his 10-15 touches. 

HC Pagano on Mack: “He’s a slasher, athletic, good vision. Whether he’s carrying the ball, catching it, protecting on third down, he’s got the size and toughness to pick up guys, he’s real talented. Reminds you of Jamaal Charles.”

(Posted in Week 6 Waiver Wire thread)

This guy seems like he is untouchable in the open field, can break a long one at any time. Gore is as immortal as they come, but remember he is a FA next year.

I like how Mack uses his off hand to stiff arm defenders trying to tackle him. He does this several times in the clips from most recent game. It is something about him I like from the college level as well.

I think eventually he is going to get called for a face mask or hands to face call if he keeps doing this, but that is one of the double standards in the NFL. They will call this on a defensive player so much more often than they will an offensive player. so Mack might as well keep doing it.

SameSongNDance said:
M. Mack Week 5 vs. SF

He looks good but he needs to stop trying to bounce everything to the outside. There's at least one play in there where there's a huge hole in front of him but he bounces the run to the outside anyway. 
I think it was the play he scored on reaching for the pylon. Doesn't look like he's real interested in running inside.

From Lance Zierlein's draft profile on him:

Serial run bouncer. Too willing to make wild bounces to the furthest reaches of the perimeter if interior lanes are gummed up. Lacks a committed approach between the tackles. Feet start dancing if he doesn't see an early point of entry.

• Smile
Reactions: One

Users who are viewing this thread