What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I just saw the most disgraceful thing... (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
In the absence of NFL and NBA, I decide to start betting on MLB (big mistake). The most disgraceful thing just happened in this Mets / Giants game.

Starting pitchers are Cueto and DeGrom so it's a pitching duel. We've got a 1-0 Mets lead in the bottom of the 7th and the Giants hit a solo shot to tie it up 1-1. Cueto is now at about 100 pitches.

In the top of the 8th, the Giants bring in Sam Dyson a guy with a 9.50 ERA. Sam Dyson proceeds to give up a triple and walk a batter before he gets pulled for a guy with an ERA slightly better than his.

Two runs score before the Giants decide they want to put in a reliever with a sub 4.00 ERA. It's at this point, I realize this was all done intentionally.

The Giants (the home team) didn't want to go into an extra innings pissing contest with the Mets so they laid down at home.

This was the biggest disgrace I've ever seen in my experiences betting on any sport. Why even have your ace Cueto throw 100 pitches if you're just going to throw the game anyway?

Absolutely terrible, completely delegitimized the sport to me...

Hey! This isn't the California Penal League, Vaughn, we're professionals here! We don't tank plays for personal reasons, so cut the cry baby ####!

Well their top set-up guy is on suspension, and their next two top guys both pitched two innings the night before.

What would you have done? Isn't this a part of handicapping?

Well their top set-up guy is on suspension, and their next two top guys both pitched two innings the night before.

What would you have done? Isn't this a part of handicapping?
I tell you what I wouldn't have done, I wouldn't have put in my WORST arm from the bullpen in after my ace Johnny Cueto threw 7 innings of 5 hit - 1 run ball. Sam Dyson got cut from the Rangers earlier this year for giving up a 5 run lead in the 9th inning earlier this season. Dyson ended up recording one out resulting in the Giants bringing in the rest of their bullpen Okert (7.53 ERA), Kontos (3.12 ERA), and Crick (5.40 ERA).

Both Crick (5.40 ERA) and Kontos (3.12 ERA) hadn't pitched in two-days. They were all RHP besides Okert who did pitch the day before. I get the idea of using all available arms. But this is a team that has lost 6 of their 7 last games and just tied the game up at home going into the 8th inning. The Mets have the TOP of their lineup going and you put your worst arm in the game. There is no way the manager was trying to win this game.

It is a part of handicapping but I was under the assumption that a manager is trying to put his team in a position to win every game. I could see if the Giants were getting blown out or heck, were down by a single run being it was the 7th inning. But this is a tie game, at home where you've lost 4-straight. Your ace pitcher throws a gem and your hitting shows up in the clutch to tie it up. You have the choice to put in an arm from the bullpen with a 7.53 ERA, 3.12 ERA, 5.40 ERA, or 9.50 ERA at the most important juncture of the game.

...and you put in Sam Dyson. That team was not trying to win.

His last 4 outings were as clean as you are stupid. Between that and the other relievers having recently heavy workloads, there's no reason to not go to him there.

Lmao at continually posting bullpen pitchers eras as your evidence. 
Continually? Ok pal, take your hyperbole somewhere else. Should I dig into extreme analytics or simply point out it's not surprising a guy with a 9.50 ERA gave up a triple and a walk back-to-back in a save spot.

Users who are viewing this thread