What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty League Setup Questions (1 Viewer)

11B

Footballguy
If you play or have played in a dynasty league I have a couple questions for you, 1 on expanding from 10 to 12 teams, and the rest are for after this would be a 12-team league. Currently we have 22 player rosters that require 2 K's and 2 DT's, and we start: 1-QB, 1-RB, 3-WR/TE's, 1-Flex, 1-K, 1-DT.

I want to break the WR & TE positions from being tied together and add another Flex position so then we would start: 1-QB, 1-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-K, 1-DT.

A. Expanding from 10 to 12 teams
1. Existing teams protect a certain amount of players overall or by position only?
2. Limit how many players can be lost from one team?
3. Give them the first 2 picks of Rookie Draft or the 2 spots between the playoff teams and non-playoff teams?

B. In regards to Taxi Squads (can't start when on Taxi Squad):
1. When someone goes on the Taxi Squad, how may weeks do they have to stay before being activated to the main roster?
2. I'm thinking 2-3, your thoughts?
3. Just rookies? or 2nd year players too?

C. Rookie Drafts
1. Stay at 4 rounds? Or go to 5 or 6 rounds?

If you play or have played in a dynasty league I have a couple questions for you, 1 on expanding from 10 to 12 teams, and the rest are for after this would be a 12-team league. Currently we have 22 player rosters that require 2 K's and 2 DT's, and we start: 1-QB, 1-RB, 3-WR/TE's, 1-Flex, 1-K, 1-DT.

I want to break the WR & TE positions from being tied together and add another Flex position so then we would start: 1-QB, 1-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-K, 1-DT.

1. Existing teams protect a certain amount of players overall or by position only?
3. Give them the first 2 picks of Rookie Draft or the 2 spots between the playoff teams and non-playoff teams?

1. When someone goes on the Taxi Squad, how may weeks do they have to stay before being activated to the main roster?

C. Rookie Drafts
a1) overall

a2) yes

a3) your call, but i'd say in between

b1) 0 or 1

b2) same thoughts as you

b3) rooks and 2nd year IF they've never been activated

c) with 22 man rosters 5 sounds good

C. Rookie Drafts
a1) overall

a2) yes

a3) your call, but i'd say first two (fwiw that's how the nfl did it for the texans)

b1) 0, but limit the ts slots so the team loses the slot when they promote the player

b2) 0

b3) rooks and 2nd year

c) 5, I'd also have 5 taxi squad slots

With 22 man rosters you should not be requiring teams to carry two Ks and two Ds if they do not want to.
This

I was just about to chime in "need moar roster"

22 is fine for keeper, but I've always felt dynasty needed at least 25 (x12 team). With kicker & defense (ever thought about ditching both?) I'd say you need 28+ spots.

One reason for this is that at 18x10 and even 18x12 (subtracting 2K, 2D) I don't think there's much point in having a 4 round rookie draft. 3rd and 4th round rookies aren't going to shouldn't be better than your 18th skill position player. 

With 22 man rosters you should not be requiring teams to carry two Ks and two Ds if they do not want to.
personally I'm not a fan of any roster requirements / limits regardless of the roster size.  But that's not what he was asking about.  

So you're essentially rostering 20 players (extra K and D are pretty useless except on byes for all but a couple teams that play DBC).  You'll have 9 starters, so a 20 man roster is pretty thin for dynasty.  That said, your in season player movement ought to be extremely active, especially towards the back half of the season. Personally, I'd opt for removing the 2K/D requirement and/or adding a couple of roster spots if you're going from 8 to 9 starters and breaking out WR/TE (very smart move there IMO).

As to adding two new teams, how about something like this:  You have to incentivize the two new owners and give them a chance for the near future.  Give them each an extra pick right at the top of the draft before anyone else picks. and then give them 1.01 and 1.02 in reverse order of how the top 2 picks were assigned.  

Now this is where you can make it really interesting and possibly give the new guys a decent shot to compete.  Give every existing owner 5 keepers, but for every keeper they choose they have to surrender a draft pick.  So you want to keep Julio?  Then you surrender your fifth rounder.  Want to keep a RB and QB too?  Okay, surrender your 4th and 3rd rounders.  Owners to do that for up to 5 players.  Now the strong teams can keep their nucleus that they have built, and the weaker and new teams can build through the draft.  Once keepers are declared, throw all the other players back into the FA pool.

Then make all picks tradable, including the top 2 initial picks.

It might take some selling to existing owners - especially the really strong teams, but in the end the strong teams will still have an edge, and your draft ought to be a blast.

As to PS, I like to be able to keep 2nd year players on also to encourage patience in developing players and letting vet/rookie overlaps on NFL teams shake out.  Our league lets teams activate PS players at any time, but the slots are not renewable.  If you activate a PS player, you lose that PS slot until next year.

Good luck!  I hope it works out great for you.

Thanks to everyone that replied, I really appreciate all of the advice and suggestions!!

Users who are viewing this thread