What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DARE I KEEP 3 Running Backs? (1 Viewer)

blindside blitz

Footballguy
This is a 12 team, 15 player roster, non ppr, cbs standard scoring league.  Roster limits are max 3 QBs, 5 RBs, and 6 WR/TEs.  We can keep 4 players from previous year's roster prior to our snake draft.  Below are my skill position players from last year, WHICH 4 WOULD YOU KEEP AND WHY?

Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford

Ezekiel Elliott, Melvin Gordon, Jordan Howard, Adrian Peterson

Michael Thomas, Allen Robinson, Michael Crabtree, Donte Moncrief, Eric Decker, Rishard Matthews

I have kept Drew Brees on this team since he went to New Orleans!  While it may be hard for me to let him go, maybe this year I have better options?

My two early thoughts are.....

1) keep Brees, Thomas, and 2 of my RBs (and try to trade the other RB, but at what price?)  -OR-  

2) keep all 3 RBs and either Brees or Thomas (draft slot would somewhat determine who do add from there).

Thank you for your time and input !!!

I don't know why you would consider keeping a QB unless there are starting and/or scoring rules you haven't explained.  I would keep Elliott, Gordon, Howard and Thomas.  The only hard decision would be between Robinson and Gordon or Howard, but since it's non-PPR I would keep the 3 RBs over Robinson.

Agree with others. At a minimum, the RBs have more value than QB.  Keep and/or trade them for a WR/TE.

Since you can only start 2 RB's and you have no flex spot for the 3rd RB I would look to trade one of them for sure.  If you can't then I would let Howard go and keep A-Rob, Thomas, Gordon & Zeke.

I wouldn't waste a freeze on a guy you wouldn't be able to play most weeks. 

Gally said:
I wouldn't waste a freeze on a guy you wouldn't be able to play most weeks. 
You can always trade Gordon or Howard later.  You don't HAVE to trade before the keepers are set, but that is the most preferred way to do it....then you can keep Robinson instead.

Howard would almost certainly be the 1st pick in the draft if OP lets Howard go.  Keeping Robinson is barely getting value, so there's no big deal in letting him go.  You have a much better chance of getting Robinson back in the draft than you do Howard, he likely goes within the 1st 4-6 picks in the draft.

You need to look at value.  Zeke and Gordon are 1st round picks, Thomas and Howard are 2nd round picks and Robinson is a mid late 3rd.  Easy call.  With 3 great backs in the stable, OP can focus primarily on WRs and doesn't need to load up on a lot of lottery ticket RBs.  That easily makes up for potentially losing Robinson in the draft.

You can always trade Gordon or Howard later.  You don't HAVE to trade before the keepers are set, but that is the most preferred way to do it....then you can keep Robinson instead.

Howard would almost certainly be the 1st pick in the draft if OP lets Howard go.  Keeping Robinson is barely getting value, so there's no big deal in letting him go.  You have a much better chance of getting Robinson back in the draft than you do Howard, he likely goes within the 1st 4-6 picks in the draft.

You need to look at value.  Zeke and Gordon are 1st round picks, Thomas and Howard are 2nd round picks and Robinson is a mid late 3rd.  Easy call.  With 3 great backs in the stable, OP can focus primarily on WRs and doesn't need to load up on a lot of lottery ticket RBs.  That easily makes up for potentially losing Robinson in the draft.
That is true however you have no idea for what.  I have seen too many people take players just to trade later and then never be able to get anything of value in trade and end up having that guy rot on the bench or pick the wrong weeks to play them.

I understand your point that Howard (in general) is the better keeper over  A-Rob, however I disagree that he is the better keeper for this team with these starting requirements.  Keeping three RB's when you can only play two is a wasted roster spot at this juncture.  I would rather have 4 solid starters for my team and lose some "value" than have 3 starters and a bench guy.  A-Rob is a great WR2 to have and has value being kept.  I just don't think you can bank on getting anything of value in a trade down the road.  I have seen that plan come crashing down many times.        

That is true however you have no idea for what.  I have seen too many people take players just to trade later and then never be able to get anything of value in trade and end up having that guy rot on the bench or pick the wrong weeks to play them.

I understand your point that Howard (in general) is the better keeper over  A-Rob, however I disagree that he is the better keeper for this team with these starting requirements.  Keeping three RB's when you can only play two is a wasted roster spot at this juncture.  I would rather have 4 solid starters for my team and lose some "value" than have 3 starters and a bench guy.  A-Rob is a great WR2 to have and has value being kept.  I just don't think you can bank on getting anything of value in a trade down the road.  I have seen that plan come crashing down many times.        
Your point is fair.  I tend to play in leagues where trades are made in abundance, so I would be very confident that I could trade Howard for Robinson plus an extra piece, or get a WR better than Robinson (albeit it would be VERY difficult to acquire a super elite WR in this kind of format).  There is always a team that gets decimated by injuries at RB which makes trading Howard easier.  I just hate throwing Howard back and the 1st pick getting an early second round value in round 5.

That said, if the OP plays in a league where there is very little trading, then your approach would be the correct one.

I'd try to deal Howard for a WR like Nelson or better, or for Gronk, and then keep Elliott, Gordon and Thomas. Brees shouldn't even be on the radar, and is kind of amazing that you kept him this long. 

Compelling and understandable options from everyone!  Thanks everyone!!  With plenty of time until this league's Draft (late August), I thought I'd share the RBs and RECs for the other 11 teams in the league.  Never know, it could trigger some specific strategies for trades, although not the easiest crowd to trade with!  Here are the other Rosters.....RBs & RECS.....

Team B) - LeSean McCoy, Shane Vereen, Darren Sproles, Dwayne Washington.  Jordy Nelson, Demaryius Thomas, Willie Snead, Greg Olsen, Jason Witten

Team C) - Frank Gore, Theo Riddick, DeAngelo Williams, Christine Michael.  DeAndre Hopkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Jeremy Maclin, Golden Tate, Sterling Shepard, Antonio Gates

Team D) - LeGarrette Blount, Terrance West, Chris Ivory, C.J. Spiller.  Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffery, Emmanuel Sanders, Terrelle Pryor, Quincy Enunwa

Team E) - Jeremy Hill, Ryan Matthews, Bilal Powell, Kenneth Farrow.  Antonio Brown, Doug Baldwin, Tyrell Williams, J.J. Nelson, Hunter Henry

Team F) - Lamar Miller, Ty Montgomery, Mark Ingram, Isaiah Crowell, Derrick Henry.  Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Tyreek Hill, Taylor Gabriel, Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett

Team G) - DeMarco Murray, Mike Gillislee, Spencer Ware, Jamaal Charles, T.J. Yeldon.  Odell Beckham, Julio Jones, Jamison Crowder, Kenny Britt, Robby Anderson, Tyler Lockett

Team H) - Todd Gurley, Doug Martin, Dion Lewis, Tim Hightower, Justin Forsett.  Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, Malcolm Mitchell, Kevin White

Team I) - Devonta Freeman, Matt Forte, Carlos Hyde, Paul Perkins, Danny Woodhead, Jerick McKinnon.  Davante Adams, Jordan Matthews, DeVante Parker, Jimmy Graham, T. Eifert

Team J) - David Johnson, Jay Ajayi, Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls, Kenneth Dixon, Jacquizz Rodgers.  A.J. Green, Jarvis Landry, Desean Jackson, Stefon Diggs, Cameron Meredith.

Team K) - C.J. Anderson, Jonathan Stewart, Tevin Coleman, Rashad Jennings.  Randall Cobb, Julian Edelman, Devin Funchess, Cole Beasley, Kendall Wright, Dwayne Allen

Team L) - Latavius Murray, Rob Kelley, James White, Alfred Morris.  T.Y. Hilton, Mike Wallace, Chris Hogan, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed, Delanie Walker

As you can see, many teams are Running Back poor in terms of keepers, while a few have some depth there.  As far as Receiver, I don't see many teams who have 3 Quality Receivers that might let one go for a Jordan Howard.

The first 3 guys I'd keep are Elliott, Gordon and Thomas. After seeing that list I'd make the following offers (and in this order) to get a premium WR for your 4th guy

1) Howard+Robinson to Team G for either of Beckham or Julio

2) Howard+Robinson to Team E for Antonio Brown

3) Howard to Team H for any of Cooper, Cooks or Watkins

4) stay put, keep the 3 RB's and Thomas

Potential suspension could impact this, but will assume there isn't one until it happens:

Keep Zeke and whichever RB you like between Howard and Gordon. Then keep Thomas. Why keep the 3 RBs if you can't play 3? Michael Thomas' ADP is pretty close to Howard and Gordon anyway so he is basically what you might land in a trade anyway. 

OK Zeke is suspended (at least until further notice on appeal).  Draft is Sunday.  Now I'm weighing A) keeping all 3 RBs so I can ride out the position until he returns.  Or B) trade him for a stud WR (no luck there because of suspension) or trade him for draft picks.  On that note, there's a huge Cowboys fan in this KEEPER league who offered 4 draft picks for Zeke (before he was suspended), a #1, #2, #4, and #5, two this year and two next season.  I thought he was kidding at the time!  Now I find myself considering letting go of what appears to be a top tier, long term keeper. 

Users who are viewing this thread