Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Riversco

What percentage of the population would have to favor revolt for a revolt to begin?

revolt poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking about percentages and support for impeachment of a President and for revolt against a government that impeached him.  Let's say 55% of the public supported removing the president from office.  However, another 25% would either revolt or support a revolution if that president was removed.  In that scenario, while the people who want impeachment technically have the upper hand, in reality you just have a revolt because if 25% revolt against the government you actually have a revolution on your hands.

So surely,it takes less than 50% of public support to start a revolution.  That's pretty obvious.  But how far below 50% does it take?  25%?  20%?  15%?

Edited by Riversco

Revolt in the United States of America has never been more necessary nor further from happening. It's a matter of personal courage and we've been robbed of that by our leisure. Revolution does not happen by consensus of opinion but by depth of feeling. Media minimizes impact as quickly as it maximizes interest. We are doomed.

• Like 4

Aren't you the guy saying it's gonna happen? Why are you asking us?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Revolt in the United States of America has never been more necessary nor further from happening. It's a matter of personal courage and we've been robbed of that by our leisure. Revolution does not happen by consensus of opinion but by depth of feeling. Media minimizes impact as quickly as it maximizes interest. We are doomed.

Well said. Its one thing to whine and post memes on a message board or social media. 

It's another entirely to actually have the stomach for real revolt and action. The average American simply doesn't have the stomach for that. Nor are those who are up in most vocally up in arms about Trump equipped with the training or firearms to actually conduct a successful revolt, generally speaking. 

• Like 2

The vast majority of this country is too comfortable to revolt.  We may be mad and fed up of the BS in Washington but most of us have too much to loose to start a revolution.  When that starts to change I don't think it will take much more than 10-15% of the population to really get things rolling.  My guess we are a good 20-30 years from the revolt.  As AI gets more prominent and useful I could see unemployment reaching 15-20% levels which could get enough people to revolt against the haves.  

Odd thing is, I doubt it will be Left vs Right, but Haves vs Have not's.  The have not's will get the support of the engineers and programmers as they will see whats coming and that will be the end of the have's.  

I'm going to take my crazy pants off now and go enjoy the Fourth and celebrate the greatest country in the world.  I suggest you all do the same as well. 

Peace

Edited by abbottjamesr
  • Like 5

What percentage of Americans find this administration revolting? That's what you mean, right? 

• Like 2

Just now, [icon] said:

Well said. Its one thing to whine and post memes on a message board or social media. 

It's another entirely to actually have the stomach for real revolt and action. The average American simply doesn't have the stomach for that. Nor are those who are up in most vocally up in arms about Trump equipped with the training or firearms to actually conduct a successful revolt, generally speaking. 

That's another factor, weird as it may be - the private citizenry that is arming itself for revolt is actually on the side of tyranny.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, abbottjamesr said:

The vast majority of this country is too comfortable to revolt.  We may be mad and fed up of the BS in Washington but most of us have too much to loose to start a revolution.  When that starts to change I don't think it will take much more than 10-15% of the population to really get things rolling.  My guess we are a good 20-30 years from the revolt.  As AI gets more prominent and useful I could see unemployment reaching 15-20% levels which could get enough people to revolt against the haves.  

Odd thing is, I doubt it will be Left vs Right, but Haves vs Have not's.  The have not's will get the support of the engineers and programmers as they will see whats coming and that will be the end of the have's.  

I'm going to take my crazy pants off now and go enjoy the Fourth and celebrate the greatest country in the world.  I suggest you all do the same as well. 

Peace

Well said 

12 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

That's another factor, weird as it may be - the private citizenry that is arming itself for revolt is actually on the side of tyranny.

Both sides are pretty tyrannical in general now, but yah, the heavily armed side are behind the dip#### currently in office. 

15% of Americans revolted against England in 1776.  Considering it would be much tougher fighting a guerrilla warfare type of war now, I'd say we would need at least 40%.

36 minutes ago, abbottjamesr said:

Peace

:thumbup::tinfoilhat:

As long as the have nots have the Internet and basic provisions there will be no revolt.  You have to have something you care so deeply about that you're willing to die for it for a real revolution.  

Protests and demonstrations are much easier and we may see more of those, but perhaps not.  

We'll continue to see discontent but we're far from a revolt.

If 10% of Americans cared enough to actively revolt, that I think would be a tipping point.  

If you have the time (an hour), check out Dan Carlin's podcast from June, day of the dove. http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-home-landing-page/

Edited by -OZ-

Are we talking Waco scale here? Because I think that's about as large and effective as any citizen led revolt is likely to ever be. Now if States start to organize to leave in a serious way it becomes a different matter. In theory that could lead to a revolt with a fairly small percentage of the population, but It still seems really unlikely. 

There certainly isn't going to be anything like a serious revolt if Trump is removed from office. Most Republicans are going to breathe a quiet sigh of relief when it happens, whether at the ballot box or through removing him. 

22 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

:thumbup::tinfoilhat:

As long as the have nots have the Internet and basic provisions there will be no revolt.  You have to have something you care so deeply about that you're willing to die for it for a real revolution.  

Protests and demonstrations are much easier and we may see more of those, but perhaps not.  

We'll continue to see discontent but we're far from a revolt.

If 10% of Americans cared enough to actively revolt, that I think would be a tipping point.  

If you have the time (an hour), check out Dan Carlin's podcast from June, day of the dove. http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-home-landing-page/

I will check it out, looks interesting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Future Champs said:

No one's treading on anyone til the fair-trade, locally-sourced, gluten-free, farm-to-gullet, multi-ethnic free-range rats arrive and i get my sous vide up to precisely 138 degrees!

Edited by wikkidpissah

This will never ever happen short of our government imposing some form of draconian taxation policy that is so burdensome the majority of people suffer. However, this too won't happen because politicians are so focused on getting re-elected they would never do this and instead will just keep borrowing to keep their constituents happy.

And then in the off-chance a Movement starts, the prospects on it being derailed by the selfish wants of the individual are about 100%. We see that in the riots and uprisings this country has had over the past 20+ years. What  starts out as a worthy protest, dissolves into "me-first" opportunism.

Edited by Courtjester
  • Like 1

If they turn off the internet I'd join in on the revolution. :gang1:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

The revolution will not be livestreamed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Long Ball Larry said:

The revolution will not be livestreamed.

It won't be like the hunger games? 

How many Americans are on The Donald subreddit? And, I mean Americans, not Russian bots. 

Noonan bumping every Riversco civil war fetish thread tonight? 

28 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Noonan bumping every Riversco civil war fetish thread tonight? 

Apparently he is not heeding his own alias

• Like 1

I don't know. This Riversco guy is sort of convincing me with his html blinktags. Always works. 

When you're cornered, just use blinktags. It's like the universal signal to unite or something.  

On 7/4/2017 at 4:52 PM, Bucky86 said:

Very :goodposting:

The people that talk big about revolting are also actively trying to disarm themselves.

Much ado about nothing.

It would take overwhelming evidence to impeach this President. So you are asking how many ignorant deplorable  people would revolt because they would be oblivious to the facts as well as evidence? 5 to 10% would probably revolt and somewhere around 70 % would be relieved and  once again have faith in our government and the intended checks and balances our forefathers put in the constitution.

Depends what you mean by “favor.”  It could be 100% of the population “liking” the revolution on Facebook and it wouldn’t happen.  1% making deals with foreign powers for military grade weapons and vehicles on American soil would be enough to have an actual revolt. 

Mostly people just like stuff on Facebook.  Not worried about that. 

13 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Truly. It just shows that this militating for civil discord has been going on for more than a year now.

I posted this before.  I go all over and attend many different events with diverse people. I never hear or have heard anyone talk about revolts and secessions except in this forum. Even when talking politics it is never the stuff talked about here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I posted this before.  I go all over and attend many different events with diverse people. I never hear or have heard anyone talk about revolts and secessions except in this forum. Even when talking politics it is never the stuff talked about here.

I've heard it before, when David Duke was running and his little acolytes would pop up and talk (very objectively) about how diversity will lead to a race war, though without putting it that bluntly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I've heard it before, when David Duke was running and his little acolytes would pop up and talk (very objectively) about how diversity will lead to a race war, though without putting it that bluntly.

But you live in Duke country...if you mentioned David Duke around Michigan most people would think he is a country music artist.

Edited by Da Guru

5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

But you live in Duke country...if you mentioned David Duke around Michigan most people would think he is a country music artist.

Oh I agree, your point about normal people is totally true. My experience is the same as yours on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

Whenever I hear about this subject I think about that time a few years ago the trucks planned a takeover of Washington DC.