What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pompeii Victim of Vesuvius found... pleasuring himself? (1 Viewer)

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
A POMPEII VOLCANO VICTIM PRESERVED MASTURBATING FOR ALMOST 2000 YEARS IS FINALLY GOING VIRAL

This is WAY worse than mom walking in on you.

THOMAS FREEMAN

2 HOURS AGO

SHARES

NEWS

A POMPEII VOLCANO VICTIM PRESERVED MASTURBATING FOR ALMOST 2000 YEARS IS FINALLY GOING VIRAL

WOMEN

OLIVIA MUNN CELEBRATED HER BIRTHDAY WITH AN AMAZING BIKINI DANCE VIDEO

ENTERTAINMENT

TODAY'S THE DAY TO ROCK THE 10 MOST POPULAR FOURTH OF JULY TUNES, ACCORDING TO YOUTUBE

(Photos: Keith Ho/Getty Images & Universal History Archive/Getty Images)

When Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. near the Roman city of Pompeii, a suspected 11,000 souls were buried in volcanic ash. 

Many of their fossilized remains are impressively intact, which paints a shockingly clear image of their final moments. Some were covering their mouths from the blazing ash while others were desperately embracing loved ones. 

One man, however, truly went out with a bang.

A photograph posted to the Ruins of Pompeii's official Instagram account reveals how one victim spent his dying breaths: with his right hand in a position that should still be familiar to many today.

What a touching way to spend one's final moments...

The image inexplicably went viral last weekend, and Twitter christened him the "Pompeii Masturbator." 

Sadly, "volcanologist" Pier Paolo Petrone told The Daily Dot such theories are misplaced. The man was probably too busy burning alive to be choking the chicken.

"There is no way to demonstrate any 'masturbating man,' and it is out of place to discuss such an affirmation," Dr. Petrone said over e-mail.

"The individual in the photo is an adult man, killed by the hot pyroclastic surge (hot gas and ash cloud which killed most of the population living around Mount Vesuvius), with both arms and legs flexed due to the heat."

"Most of the human victims found in Pompeii often show 'strange' position of arms and legs, due to the contraction of limbs as a consequence of the heat effect on their bodies after death occurred."

Still, Dr. Petrone couldn't explain why his right hand was clenched over his junk.
Link

If I've got minutes to live and nobody is around and I can't save myself I'd probably jerk it one last time too.

Total slander. We have no way of knowing if the guy was wanking or just protecting his junk from the pyroclastic flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can volcanic ash really come down and bury/freeze you that quickly? I know it's dense as hell, but if you were to keep moving wouldn't it just keep sliding off you?

Can volcanic ash really come down and bury/freeze you that quickly? I know it's dense as hell, but if you were to keep moving wouldn't it just keep sliding off you?
It's over 1500 degrees, traveling at the speed of an aircraft.  It would kill you then flow right over you

You're thinking of lava, which (usually) moves at a fairly slow pace. But ash (and pyroclastic flow) can move at a speed of 450 miles per hour. You'd be dead before you knew it.

Poor dude died a horrific death and one of his hands just happens to fall in the wrong spot.

2000 years later he's the butt of jerk-off jokes.

I visited Pompeii before.  It's amazing how much still hasn't been explored.  The way they were all instantly frozen in time has made this place an archaeological gold mine.  There are hundreds of examples of these ancient pompeiians doing normal stuff, just like us.  

I visited Pompeii before.  It's amazing how much still hasn't been explored.  The way they were all instantly frozen in time has made this place an archaeological gold mine.  There are hundreds of examples of these ancient pompeiians doing normal stuff, just like us.  
huh. I visited pompeii a looong time ago, so caveat and all.

but I don't remember any of the victims doing normal stuff. what I remember is lots of people huddled on the ground, either laying or sitting and looking like they were dead. I guess that's normal for me when I'm sleeping... albeit in a bed.

can you please link to the examples of them doing normal stuff (besides this guy's wank attack).

huh. I visited pompeii a looong time ago, so caveat and all.

but I don't remember any of the victims doing normal stuff. what I remember is lots of people huddled on the ground, either laying or sitting and looking like they were dead. I guess that's normal for me when I'm sleeping... albeit in a bed.

can you please link to the examples of them doing normal stuff (besides this guy's wank attack).
just googled... which obviously doesn't encapsulate everything. but this is pretty much what I remember. but interested in hearing more about what you're describing.

Snopes rates photo miscaptioned.

http://www.snopes.com/pompeii-man-ruins/

Was a 'Masturbating Man' Found in the Ruins of Pompeii?

A photograph miscaptioned on Twitter lead many jokes but little understanding.

CLAIM

A photograph shows the remains of a man who died while masturbating in Pompeii in 79 A.D.
Although this is a real — though slightly doctored — image showing a plaster cast of a man who perished in Pompeii, the juvenile caption caused many to second-guess the image’s authenticity. 

The original photograph, which was in color, was posted on the Instagram page of the Archaeological Heritage of Naples and Pompeii on 9 June 2017:

Calco in gesso di una vittima dell’eruzione.
Ph Direttore Generale Prof. Massimo Osanna
#Pompei #Pompeii #PompeiiTempusVita

Plaster cast of a victim of the eruption.
Ph General Manager Prof. Massimo Osanna

The caption did not mention that this man was masturbating in his last moments. In fact, this pose hints at something far more terrifying.

When Mount Vesuvius erupted, it sent a surge of super-heated volcanic material through the city of Pompeii. About 2000 people were killed and the city was buried in a thick carpet of volcanic ash. The heat was so intense that many of the victims suffered sudden muscle contractions and were left frozen in a boxer-like, crouching pose:

The famous lifelike poses of many victims at Pompeii—seated with face in hands, crawling, kneeling on a mother’s lap—are helping to lead scientists toward a new interpretation of how these ancient Romans died in the A.D. 79 eruptions of Italy’s Mount Vesuvius.

Until now it’s been widely assumed that most of the victims were asphyxiated by volcanic ash and gas. But a recent study says most died instantly of extreme heat, with many casualties shocked into a sort of instant rigor mortis.

[…]

And then there are those death postures. About three-quarters of the known Pompeii victims are “frozen in suspended actions” and show evidence of sudden muscle contractions, such as curled toes, the study says.

“Heretofore archaeologists misinterpreted them as people struggling to breathe and believed they died suffocated by ashes,” Mastrolorenzo said. “Now we know that couldn’t be.”

Because of the extreme heat, “when the pyroclastic surge hit Pompeii, there was no time to suffocate,” he said. “The contorted postures are not the effects of a long agony, but of the cadaveric spasm, a consequence of heat shock on corpses.”

The pose is not entirely unique among Pompeii victims. This image, taken in 2013 by Flickr user Paul Kelley, shows another victim in a similar position:

Snopes rates photo miscaptioned.

http://www.snopes.com/pompeii-man-ruins/

Was a 'Masturbating Man' Found in the Ruins of Pompeii?

A photograph miscaptioned on Twitter lead many jokes but little understanding.

Although this is a real — though slightly doctored — image showing a plaster cast of a man who perished in Pompeii, the juvenile caption caused many to second-guess the image’s authenticity. 

The original photograph, which was in color, was posted on the Instagram page of the Archaeological Heritage of Naples and Pompeii on 9 June 2017:

Calco in gesso di una vittima dell’eruzione.
Ph Direttore Generale Prof. Massimo Osanna

Plaster cast of a victim of the eruption.
Ph General Manager Prof. Massimo Osanna

The caption did not mention that this man was masturbating in his last moments. In fact, this pose hints at something far more terrifying.

When Mount Vesuvius erupted, it sent a surge of super-heated volcanic material through the city of Pompeii. About 2000 people were killed and the city was buried in a thick carpet of volcanic ash. The heat was so intense that many of the victims suffered sudden muscle contractions and were left frozen in a boxer-like, crouching pose:

The famous lifelike poses of many victims at Pompeii—seated with face in hands, crawling, kneeling on a mother’s lap—are helping to lead scientists toward a new interpretation of how these ancient Romans died in the A.D. 79 eruptions of Italy’s Mount Vesuvius.

Until now it’s been widely assumed that most of the victims were asphyxiated by volcanic ash and gas. But a recent study says most died instantly of extreme heat, with many casualties shocked into a sort of instant rigor mortis.

[…]

And then there are those death postures. About three-quarters of the known Pompeii victims are “frozen in suspended actions” and show evidence of sudden muscle contractions, such as curled toes, the study says.

“Heretofore archaeologists misinterpreted them as people struggling to breathe and believed they died suffocated by ashes,” Mastrolorenzo said. “Now we know that couldn’t be.”

Because of the extreme heat, “when the pyroclastic surge hit Pompeii, there was no time to suffocate,” he said. “The contorted postures are not the effects of a long agony, but of the cadaveric spasm, a consequence of heat shock on corpses.”

The pose is not entirely unique among Pompeii victims. This image, taken in 2013 by Flickr user Paul Kelley, shows another victim in a similar position:
This guy & his snopes worship . This isn't 1999. Snopes . 

This guy & his snopes worship . This isn't 1999. Snopes . 
This is 2017 Hell Toupee (when does your suspension end under that account?)

Please show us where Snopes was wrong in their analysis or anything they reported about this was false.

:popcorn:

Nothing wrong with this article  . Snipes isn't the authority on everything you say they are . Its a biased site
No, Snipes isn't. 

Snopes on the other hand has a proven record of accuracy in their fact checking. :yes:

No, Snipes isn't. 

Snopes on the other hand has a proven record of accuracy in their fact checking. :yes:
This is from Forbes 

The Daily Mail Snopes Story And Fact Checking The Fact Checkers

Dec 22, 2016

One might argue that newspapers similarly do not acknowledge their fact checkers in the bylines of articles. Yet, in a newspaper workflow, fact checking typically occurs as an editorial function, double checking what a reporter wrote. At Snopes, fact checking is the core function of an article and thus if multiple people contributed to a fact check, it is surprising that absolutely no mention is made of them, given that at a newspaper all reporters contributing to a story are listed. Not only does this rob those individuals of credit, but perhaps most critically, it makes it impossible for outside entities to audit who is contributing to what fact check and to ensure that fact checkers who self-identify as strongly supportive or against particular topics are not assigned to fact check those topics to prevent the appearance of conflicts of interest or bias.

If privacy or safety of fact checkers is a concern, the site could simply use first name and last initials or pseudonyms. Having a master list of all fact checkers contributing in any way to a given fact check would go a long way towards establishing greater transparency to the fact checking process and Snopes’ internal controls on conflict of interest and bias.

David also did not respond to a request for comment on why Snopes fact checks rarely mention that they reached out to the authors of the article being fact checked to get their side of the story. Indeed, Journalism 101 teaches you that when you write an article presenting someone or something in a negative light, you must give them the opportunity to respond and provide their side of the story. Instead, Snopes typically focuses on the events being depicted in the article and contacts individuals and entities named in the story, but Snopes fact checks typically do not mention contacting the authors of the articles about those events to see if those reporters claim to have additional corroborating material, perhaps disclosed to them off the record.

In essence, in these cases Snopes performs “fact checking from afar,” rendering judgement on news stories without giving the original reporters the opportunity for comment. David did not respond to a request for comment on this or why the site does not have a dedicated appeals page for authors of stories which Snopes has labeled false to contest that label and he also did not respond to a request to provide further detail on whether Snopes has a written formal appeals process or how it handles such requests.

Putting this all together, we simply don’t know if the Daily Mail story is completely false, completely true or somewhere in the middle. Snopes itself has not issued a formal response to the article and its founder David Mikkelson responded by email that he was unable to address many of the claims due to a confidentiality clause in his divorce settlement. This creates a deeply unsettling environment in which when one tries to fact check the fact checker, the answer is the equivalent of “its secret.” Moreover, David’s responses regarding the hiring of strongly partisan fact checkers and his lack of response on screening and assessment protocols present a deeply troubling picture of a secretive black box that acts as ultimate arbitrator of truth, yet reveals little of its inner workings. This is precisely the same approach used by Facebook for its former Trending Topics team and more recently its hate speech rules (the company did not respond to a request for comment).

From the outside, Silicon Valley looks like a gleaming tower of technological perfection. Yet, once the curtain is pulled back, we see that behind that shimmering façade is a warehouse of good old fashioned humans, subject to all the same biases and fallibility, but with their results now laundered through the sheen of computerized infallibility. Even my colleagues who work in the journalism community and by their nature skeptical, had assumed that Snopes must have rigorous screening procedures, constant inter- and intra-rater evaluations and ongoing assessments and a total transparency mandate. Yet, the truth is that we simply have no visibility into the organization’s inner workings and its founder declined to shed further light into its operations for this article.

Regardless of whether the Daily Mail article is correct in its claims about Snopes, at the least what does emerge from my exchanges with Snopes’ founder is the image of the ultimate black box presenting a gleaming veneer of ultimate arbitration of truth, yet with absolutely no insight into its inner workings. While technology pundits decry the black boxes of the algorithms that increasingly power companies like Facebook, they have forgotten that even the human-powered sites offer us little visibility into how they function.

At the end of the day, it is clear that before we rush to place fact checking organizations like Snopes in charge of arbitrating what is “truth” on Facebook, we need to have a lot more understanding of how they function internally and much greater transparency into their work.

Okie Dokie Pokie. If you say so....
So I get a text that HT ,coincidentally  @HellToupee on twitter contacts you to establish a friendly rapport here . Although he follows over 700 people and has 175+ followers you complain he doesn't tweet enough , just over 200 and promptly block him. What a strange response

So I get a text that HT ,coincidentally  @HellToupee on twitter contacts you to establish a friendly rapport here . Although he follows over 700 people and has 175+ followers you complain he doesn't tweet enough , just over 200 and promptly block him. What a strange response
What? That's whacked.

just googled... which obviously doesn't encapsulate everything. but this is pretty much what I remember. but interested in hearing more about what you're describing.
Yeah, they were all generally huddled up.  I was more referring to they were going about there daily activities & time froze.

Users who are viewing this thread