Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rockaction

CNN Threatens To Out/Doxx User Behind Trump Bodyslam Video - Now Just Bickering and Bad Put-Downs

This deserves its own thread, it's so egregious. Actual tweet from CNN. 

"CNN is not publishing “HanA**holeSolo’s” name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

Edited by rockaction

This "news" organization is slowly descending into self-parody at best, or criminality at worst.  

• Like 4

Publishing his name is not doxxing him.

Having said that, CNN should publish his name.

News organizations make people famous every day. Why should this guy receive anonymity?  Is it because he represents a group of people that freaking INVENTED doxxing?  Is that an he shouldn't be doxxed?

• Like 3

Ugh.  It's not a bodyslam.  It's clearly a clothesline. :P

Did we really need another thread on this?  Let's get one thing clear.  There is nothing even approaching a criminal offense here.  There is a potential violation of journalistic ethics and norms and a move with negative PR consequences.  This is simply not an interesting "free speech" issue.  There's absolutely no government involvement.

It's also weird seeing people who wrung their hands about how Gamergate apologist Milo was being treated now see doxxing as a free speech issue. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, massraider said:

Publishing his name is not doxxing him.

Having said that, CNN should publish his name.

News organizations make people famous every day. Why should this guy receive anonymity?  Is it because he represents a group of people that freaking INVENTED doxxing?  Is that an he shouldn't be doxxed?

I know. That's why "out" is in the title. Publishing his name is not investigative journalism; it's a threat, plain and simple, no matter how you feel about Trump. 

It's a news organization stifling speech. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Ugh.  It's not a bodyslam.  It's clearly a clothesline. :P

Did we really need another thread on this?  Let's get one thing clear.  There is nothing even approaching a criminal offense here.  There is a potential violation of journalistic ethics and norms and a move with negative PR consequences.  This is simply not an interesting "free speech" issue.  There's absolutely no government involvement.

It's also weird seeing people who wrung their hands about how Gamergate apologist Milo was being treated now see doxxing as a free speech issue. 

That's very true. 

This is a free speech issue, state actor or not. It's silencing dissent through threats of outing.  

Yes, we did need another thread unless I missed the first one.  

Oh look. Another Trumpkin that is all about defending the internet tough guys and the party of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY ,whining about someone saying mean things and threatening legal action.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I know. That's why "out" is in the title. Publishing his name is not investigative journalism; it's a threat, plain and simple, no matter how you feel about Trump. 

It's a news organization stifling speech. 

Umm, if we agree it's not doxxing, why am I reading it in the title?

His speech isn't stifled, he is free to speak.  His speech has become newsworthy, why should he expect anonymity?

People will reveal Banksy's name, why is this guy special?

• Like 1

I'm not sure i understand why this guy deserves anything but having his name published.  Neither  a right or left issue. He challenged them and they have a right to respond as they see fit.  

1 minute ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

Well, I'm old.  I had to Google "doxxing".

I figured it was a new colon cleanse.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

Well, I'm old.  I had to Google "doxxing".

Don't bother, this isn't it.

Still in the thread title tho.

• Like 1

Just now, rockaction said:

That's very true. 

This is a free speech issue, state actor or not. It's silencing dissent through threats of outing.  

Yes, we did need another thread unless I missed the first one.  

Having to face societal consequences for what we say is a part of adult life.  Yes, that stifles dissent.  It means Kathy Griffin can't hold plastic Trump heads up with impunity.  And it means that news organizations can publish publicly available information about someone who has waded into a public debate.  Whether they should or not is a fact-sensitive matter.  From what I can glean, the only really debatable thing CNN did was say that they reserved the right to out him in the future.  I wouldn't have written that.  But if we believe that Donald Trump has the right to try to silence dissent by calling out journalists and the press over Twitter (and he does, no matter how advisable that is), it seems truly weird to hold CNN to some different standard.  CNN itself has 1st Amendment rights that you're arguing it should not be allowed to exercise.  And potential employers have 1st Amendment Free Association rights they might want to exercise. 

• Like 10

Yes! This absolutely deserves its own thread! 3 or 4 of them in fact. It needs to dominate the news this week. After all, what the hell else is going on, right? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This deserves its own thread, it's so egregious. Actual tweet from CNN. 

"CNN is not publishing “HanA**holeSolo’s” name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change."

In other interpretations, CNN called the subject of an article to get a quote and he begged them not to out him, saying he's got a trolling addiction and would delete all his racist, homophobic troll posts and not post more if they'd just please leave his real name out of it. CNN agreed to do so.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Oh look. Another Trumpkin that is all about defending the internet tough guys and the party of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY ,whining about someone saying mean things and threatening legal action.

Another clown who gets internet likes from insulting people whose political ideology and support he still hasn't bothered to figure out. 

Way to go Bucky86. You're all class.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, massraider said:

Don't bother, this isn't it.

Still in the thread title tho.

Because they may choose to publish his personal information, too.  Sorry massraider, leaving it there.  

Just now, rockaction said:

Another clown who gets internet likes from insulting people whose political ideology and support he still hasn't bothered to figure out. 

Ideology aside in this debate, tell me rock why you don't think this guy should own up and be responsible for his actions?  It happens to almost everyone on the internet that they get exposed at some point.  

• Like 1

Let's say a guy is a leader in the KKK.  CNN calls him for a quote and he says he's done with all that.  He knows it's wrong.  If it gets out that he's the KKK leader in this city, his wife will leave him, his friends will ostracize him, and he'll lose his job.  He says he's burning all his white sheets and leaving the KKK for good and asks that they just not use his real name.

CNN does what he requests, telling him if the circumstances change they reserve the right to write a follow-up piece using his name.

That's not blackmail.

Awful lot of libs in here that don't believe this citizen should have free speech without the media threatening/attacking him.  CNN doing everything they can to prove Trump is correct about them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Because they may choose to publish his personal information, too.  Sorry massraider, leaving it there.  

Really.

They have threatened to publish his personally identifiable data, with malicious intent?  

I must have missed that statement from CNN.

6 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

In other interpretations, CNN called the subject of an article to get a quote and he begged them not to out him, saying he's got a trolling addiction and would delete all his racist, homophobic troll posts and not post more if they'd just please leave his real name out of it. CNN agreed to do so.

Then why the gangster tough guy schtick? If they were to reveal the guy as a personal vendetta what makes them any better then TMZ or gawker?

Just now, Bojang0301 said:

Then why the gangster tough guy schtick? If they were to reveal the guy as a personal vendetta what makes them any better then TMZ or gawker?

I have no idea what you're trying to ask here.  What gangster tough guy schtick?

1 minute ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Awful lot of libs in here that don't believe this citizen should have free speech without the media threatening/attacking him.  CNN doing everything they can to prove Trump is correct about them.  

Awful lot of "free speech" advocates arguing that the press doesn't have the right to speak.  Life truly is strange. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

2 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

:potkettle:

Just now, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Awful lot of "free speech" advocates arguing that the press doesn't have the right to speak.  Life truly is strange. 

Come on man they are basically blackmailing this guy and removing his free speech rights.  Ridiculous

1 minute ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

And an awful lot of right-wingers not into taking personal responsibility for their actions

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

I am a strong advocate for free speech rights.  There is absolutely nothing about free speech that gives you the right to be free from private actors exposing who is doing the speaking.  In fact, when the press does it, it's usually expressly covered by the First Amendment.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Have they don't that?

1 minute ago, Bojang0301 said:

He is a citizen that has made news. Literally made it, actually.  Those people get their name in the paper.

It seems like the only reason people think he should be anonymous, is because he's a terrible person.  

• Like 3

Just now, Ramblin Wreck said:

Come on man they are basically blackmailing this guy and removing his free speech rights.  Ridiculous

No.

How so?  He can still do whatever he wants...but guess what you don't get to do what you want in anonymity.  Nobody does

Just now, Henry Ford said:

I am a strong advocate for free speech rights.  There is absolutely nothing about free speech that gives you the right to be free from private actors exposing who is doing the speaking.  In fact, when the press does it, it's usually expressly covered by the First Amendment.

Then why are they threatening/blackmailing him instead of just exercising their right to free speech?

Just now, Henry Ford said:

It's best to communicate in fart noises with these guys. 

2 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

Then why the gangster tough guy schtick?

wut

Then why are they threatening/blackmailing him instead of just exercising their right to free speech?

They contacted him for a quote and he asked them not to use his name, saying that he's going to turn over a new leaf.  They agreed to his terms.  That's not a threat or blackmail.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bojang0301 said:

Maybe nothing.  That's the remedy.  CNN, like "Han*******Solo" can be judged by society/viewers/voters based on the content of its speech.  And it may face economic consequences from that.  That's the entire idea behind the marketplace of ideas.  We're supposed to rely on society at large, and not the government, to punish crappy ideas the same way it punishes other crappy products. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, killface said:

How so?  He can still do whatever he wants...but guess what you don't get to do what you want in anonymity.  Nobody does

So no different than Trump refusing to give CNN press access if they don't apologize for things they've said to him?  

Don't we already have a nothingburger thread?

First, who cares who created the meme?  I don't find that newsworthy - it was a childish meme, and I have laughed at a lot worse. The news was Trump tweeting it - and even then the story is more "look at the idiot president" not OMG Trump is threatening to beat up CNN reporters. It is part of a larger story about trump chilling free speech - but leave it there. 

Second, this guy played with fire and is close to getting burned. If you don't want someone to learn what you post online - too bad.  Don't post something you are embarrassed to attach your name to. I have no sympathy for anyone outted online 

• Like 2

let's see:

Not doxxing.

Not a threat.

Not blackmail ( no one has a dictionary??)

Not stifling his free speech in any way.

Other than that, you guys are dead on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

I have no idea what you're trying to ask here.  What gangster tough guy schtick?

CNN essentially threatening the person if they were to revoke their apology. I took the text they wrote as if they strong armed the person to apologize then said if they were to revoke/post about CNN again they would retaliate. 

So no different than Trump refusing to give CNN press access if they don't apologize for things they've said to him?  

I'm glad you are comparing the president of the USA and a random internet guy as on the same level

That's how far we have fallen

• Like 1

Let's recap the First Amendment.  Is Trump a private actor in refusing press access?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dodds said:

Breathe Dodds, breathe. Wasn't it already reported that somebody within the Trump circle re-edited this guys meme?