What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rookie Drafts - Snake or Straight? (1 Viewer)

Rookie Drafts - whats the norm?

• Snake Style

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Straight Style (Like NFL style)

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

mozzy84

Footballguy
Our 12 team dynasty league has been doing a snake draft for the last 12 seasons, some of the owners want to change the draft to a straight style draft (most of the teams that want to change suck year in and year out).

Honestly I don't know what the norm is and I am on the fence about it.

Does a straight draft help even out the league like they are arguing for?

Edit: 9 round rookie/vet draft

Last edited by a moderator:
If you split out your rookies from your veterans in startup, standard procedure is to do it snake in reverse order of the vet draft.

But I've never seen a dynasty league that does snake after that year-zero draft.  It's pretty much always been standard worst-to-first order in each round once you have standings to base that on.

For dynasty leagues that keep the majority of the roster (at least a starting lineup) then the draft should be NFL style (worst team the prior year gets first pick every round, etc)  Your base team is together that lead to your previous year standings so having an "even" draft (snake style)  helps the better teams a lot more than the NFL style. 

The biggest downside to NFL style is that once a team is eliminated from contention a particular year you have the possibility of tanking occurring which could skew the end of the season for your league.  But if you have quality owners trying to improve their teams and beat their opponents then the tanking isn't overboard and it is fine. 

Users who are viewing this thread