What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friday AMA - last day at architecture firm (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
Tomorrow marks my last day at an architecture firm in Southern California.  It's been a couple days over two months and it can't come quick enough.  I landed a better gig back in real estate development consulting, closer to home, more money and upward mobility.

This architecture joint has been weird, to say the least.  Odd, unwelcoming vibe the first day.  Had some brief, round-the-office intros, but no official intro at any staff meeting, etc.  

Feel free to pose questions during the overnight (I'm West Coast) and with a very light day (pack up my four or five personal items in my desk, wrap up a couple of projects and I'm done) ahead, I will be able to answer anything.  

Schtick more than welcome as some off-the-wall questions will probably work fine since this place has been weird to begin with.

Have at it, Happy Friday :D

Slapdash said:
2 months?
Yup.  It's a 45+ minute commute each way and they were painting me into a corner into a role that I told them I wasn't comfortable with.  I got an offer back in my more natural consulting environment which is closer to home, more money / upward mobility and will be working with a kid that I was working with at my prior consulting gig.  

gianmarco said:
T&P for having to endure for so long.
Thank you.  It was a challenge. :D

Fortunately about halfway through they moved me to a shared office rather than having to be out in the "bullpen" with all the drafters.  My neighbor there talked to herself and banged on her keyboard louder than I'd ever heard someone type.  

How long did it take you to design the new addition to the Guggenheim?
:lol:

Oh if only they had me doing actual architectural stuff.  I got shoved in with the telecom crew doing cell sites.  Totally out of my comfort zone and about as exciting as watching paint dry.

My apologies.

OP: Could you please take a dump in the ceiling? 
We were unceremoniously booted from our apartment complex my junior year in college.  There was a hole behind the door where the doorknob hit the wall.... we stuffed a ton of cheese into that hole before leaving.  I'm not angry at this place, just glad to be moving on.  

Speaking of dumps, though, this place has ONE bathroom per gender; mens room has one stall and one urinal.  For like 30 dudes. :(

Based on our own resident FBG architect I had a strong hunch most were douchebags.
Good thing I'm not an architect, huh? 

Not sure what I've done classifies me as a d00shbag, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

I am the "face man" who deals with jurisdictions in terms of permitting, etc.  I get things done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why set your sights on being an architect?  Wouldn't you rather be a city planner?
: :kicksrock:  I have a degree in city planning.  I feel this is an underhanded jab.  

And as discussed above, I'm not an architect nor did I ever have my sights set on being one; I was merely doing the things that most architects can't do.  And that's speak intelligently to doofuses at the cities.  

Would you say you talk to the customers so the architects don't have to?
Don't have to, won't, or can't.  You choose.  And not really the "customers" per se, but the decision-makers within the local jurisdictions.  In two months I single-handedly rescued two projects for two high-profile clients (Verizon and Starbucks) that would have probably been dead had I not been here.  Guess that makes me a d00shbag.   :shrug:

: :kicksrock:  I have a degree in city planning.  I feel this is an underhanded jab.  

And as discussed above, I'm not an architect nor did I ever have my sights set on being one; I was merely doing the things that most architects can't do.  And that's speak intelligently to doofuses at the cities.  
Just a Seinfeld reference.  

Which version of SimCity is the best?

About to head in to my final staff meeting.  Let's see if the president even says anything about it being my last day.... since he never even introduced me as a new hire during my first staff meeting. :popcorn:

Don't have to, won't, or can't.  You choose.  And not really the "customers" per se, but the decision-makers within the local jurisdictions.  In two months I single-handedly rescued two projects for two high-profile clients (Verizon and Starbucks) that would have probably been dead had I not been here.  Guess that makes me a d00shbag.   :shrug:
Are you a "people person"?

I have a feeling you're not giving your employer your all today. Am I being unfair?
Well, the guy I report to just so happened to be on a 2-week vacation during my "2 week notice" period. Must be nice.

I've wrapped up all but two of the fun telecom projects and have a couple of emails to bang out on non-telecom deals that I was helping on.

I'm operating at about 75% today, but then again it's Friday.   :thumbup:

Well, the guy I report to just so happened to be on a 2-week vacation during my "2 week notice" period. Must be nice.

I've wrapped up all but two of the fun telecom projects and have a couple of emails to bang out on non-telecom deals that I was helping on.

I'm operating at about 75% today, but then again it's Friday.   :thumbup:
Blaze of Glory time starts at noon. Make them remember your name.

:shrug:  not one mention during staff meeting of today being my last day... awkward?  I guess I'll just box my crap up and peace-out at 5.

I have already drafted an email to the handful of folks that I've interacted with here. 

Users who are viewing this thread