What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better career, Michael Keaton or Bill Murray (NOW WITH POLE) (2 Viewers)

Keaton or Murray

• Keaton

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • Murrray

Votes: 95 84.8%

• Total voters

Righetti

Footballguy
There are obviously many people who confuse these two as they are really pracrically the same guy

Murray

Ghostbusters

Caddyshack

Groundhog Day

Lost in translation

Stripes

Rushmore

Scrooged

What about Bob

QuickChange

Keaton

Batman

Birdman

Multiplicity

GungHo

Beetlejuice

The Founder

Mr. Mom

The Paper

So, who has had the more iconic career

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beetlejuice.

Murray has the better career but Keaton is the better actor by a small margin. 

Most iconic career, which was the question- its Murray by a massive margin. 

You should at least pick comparable people... try Keaton and Kilmer, or Keaton and Dennis Quaid  

Murray has arguably the greatest resume by a comedic actor of all time. 

You should at least pick comparable people... try Keaton and Kilmer, or Keaton and Dennis Quaid  

Murray has arguably the greatest resume by a comedic actor of all time. 
That is an interesting thought. Other than maybe Chaplin, I can't think of anyone that rivals Murray for great comedies.

In one of the oddest twists of fate the girl across the street from me grew up to be one of Murray's fwb.

Thats all i got. 

Murray, obviously.

Just off the top of my head, I think Keaton only made a single movie in his entire career -- Batman -- and it wasn't even very good. (It seems like maybe he could have been in one or two other movies, but I can't recall them.)

Murray has made at least five or six movies, including some classics.

What a bizarre premise for a thread. I have never met a single person who confuses these two. :lol:  

Anyway, Murray has obviously had the better career.  Keaton might be a better actor, since Murray is largely a one-trick pony, but credit Murray for being as iconic as he is while often playing the same type of character. 

That would be a more interesting discussion but I sometimes think comedy actors get underrated - it's not easy being funny.
I compare Murray a bit to Robin Williams. The comedy is there, but there's alot more going on underneath. Watch St. Vincent. That was a great performance.

Steve Martin is a guy who maybe approached Murray as a top comedic actor?  Chevy Chase is maybe in this category for me too.

But there aren't many in Murray's league here. 

Steve Martin is a guy who maybe approached Murray as a top comedic actor?  Chevy Chase is maybe in this category for me too.

Chevy Chase has been so unfunny lately that it significantly degrades his previous work.   Same with Robin Williams in his late career.   It's like watching someone deconstruct comedy.

Murray has the better career but Keaton is the better actor by a small margin. 

Most iconic career, which was the question- its Murray by a massive margin. 
:no:

That is an interesting thought. Other than maybe Chaplin, I can't think of anyone that rivals Murray for great comedies.
Could be a good debate between him and This genius or this relative newcomer. And that's just guys in our lifetime, off the top of my head.

Chevy Chase has been so unfunny lately that it significantly degrades his previous work.   Same with Robin Williams in his late career.   It's like watching someone deconstruct comedy.
:rant:

You're not wrong about his late stuff but his peak can't be beat. 

Murray's been great in choosing roles and projects. He started his dramatic career with Razor's Edge and if you looked at just that you'd think he was going to go nowhere with his dramatic career. It's an interesting question where he flipped the switch. I even saw Scrooged the other day and I thought 'this is great.' St. Vincent & Lost in Translation are his best. 

This was said about Cary Grant but comedic actors doing serious is terrific, they are complete because they're absurd and at the root of things we laugh at absurdity. That's us, that's humanity - it's the super-actor dramatic types who are always lacking something.

Murray's been great in choosing roles and projects. He started his dramatic career with Razor's Edge and if you looked at just that you'd think he was going to go nowhere with his dramatic career. It's an interesting question where he flipped the switch. I even saw Scrooged the other day and I thought 'this is great.' St. Vincent & Lost in Translation are his best. 

This was said about Cary Grant but comedic actors doing serious is terrific, they are complete because they're absurd and at the root of things we laugh at absurdity. That's us, that's humanity - it's the super-actor dramatic types who are always lacking something.
Cary might have had the best blend of dramatic and comedic. The only knock on him as an actor is he was almost always a version of Cary Grant- with his mid Atlantic accent, deep tan, perfect hair and stylish clothes. He never transformed into roles. 

Eddie Murphy

Dan Akroyd 

Jim Carey

Robin Williams

More recently - Steve Carell, Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell would be in the patheon of top (grossing) comedic actors.

Mike Myers falls in there somewhere.

Eddie Murphy

Dan Akroyd 

Jim Carey

Robin Williams

More recently - Steve Carell, Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell would be in the patheon of top (grossing) comedic actors.

Miek Myers falls in their somewhere.
Yeah but the thing with Mike Myers and Adam Sandler is that there movies don't hold up at all. It's like Mike Myers performed mass hypnosis to convince everyone that he was funny.

Checvy Chase had an awesome peak, but it way too short. 

Akroyd is underrated because it always seemed like he was the 2nd (or 3rd) funniest guy in most of the best comedies.  His brief role in Tommy Boy was hysterical. 

Users who are viewing this thread