What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

China to ban VPN. Now going to China will reallly suck (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
Bloomberg

China plugs a major hole in its Great Firewall. The nation’s government has told telecoms carriers to block individuals’ access to virtual private networks by the beginning of February. The clampdown will shutter one of the main ways in which people both local and foreign still manage to access the global, unfiltered web on a daily basis.

I go to china twice a year and this will really suck.   You can't get onto google, twittter, Facebook, gmail, YouTube and a bunch of other sites and the only way to get there is using VPN

jesus, this blows 

I get 3rd party VPN, but what if you work for a outside China company and you need to connect to the outside China to get your work done?

Technical details are pretty hard to find on this.  best I can tell, they're requesting apple and google to not allow AppleStore/GooglePlay downloads of VPN software in China.   That certainly will put a dent in the average users ability to connect, but a complete "VPN ban" seems near impossible to pull off, unless they're just going to say there's no encrypted traffic allowed anywhere on the internet in China (in which case you're better off logging off anyway).  

Was the only way to work when I was there in the late 2000s. That has to be an exception, or it would be a major problem for companies doing business in China.
I know..I have been there a number of times in the late 90s early 2000s. 

I have Chinese friends who I used to do work with and some are here now.  It was amazing when I was there everything they said about China was very positive but looking at them they way they told me I knew they were lying..then they get here and rip the government and everything about it. They are so frightened and paranoid of everyone including family that nobody says anything negative against the government.

It blows them away how people ripped Obama and now Trump..said they would be MIA in a week in China for doing that.

how can they block you connecting to a VPN that is not located in their country?  Are they going to have a list of every ip address of every VPN in the world to filter?

how can they block you connecting to a VPN that is not located in their country?  Are they going to have a list of every ip address of every VPN in the world to filter?
I'm guessing they're trying to make it harder to sign up for a service via taking the apps out of platform stores and likely blocking access to signup sites. Sounds like it will make the hurdle to entry higher, but not impossible. If they plan to actually block all VPN traffic, private or industry, that will be a disaster.

First off, they're not going to block all VPN.  There are multinational Chinese firms that need site-to-site VPN between locations all over the world.  They're not that stupid to do that.  This is being targeted at end users who use VPN technologies to bypass their great Firewall.  Those programs are made specifically for people who live in countries like China and are near impossible to block.  They hide their traffic to look like any other https traffic on the web.  The only real way they could do this would be to hack one of the major 3rd party CAs (Snowden proved this was done before), and perform SSL inspection at all the major ISPs to verify it's actually legit web traffic.  But SSL inspection is very very CPU intensive.  It would be impossible to do that for all traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to do that in the US.  Maybe then I wouldn't have to slam on my breaks to avoid those idiots crossing the street with their face in their phone.  Oh wait......no problem for phone adicts.....drats

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread