What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who Is Right? (1 Viewer)

Do you remove keys from your keychain when getting vehicle serviced?

• Yes

Votes: 108 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 21.2%

• Total voters

Keerock

Footballguy
Recently took a vehicle in for repairs.  It was in for 3 days.  Our house key was left on the key ring.  One of us fears that the people working on the vehicle could make a copy of the key and have access to the house.  Is the :tinfoilhat:  justified or overreaction? 

I've worked in the fraud/investigations field too long and seen people do a lot of dishonest things. I trust no one.

I remove the car key for a 2 hours maintenance. There's no question I'd remove it for a 3 day job.

Recently took a vehicle in for repairs.  It was in for 3 days.  Our house key was left on the key ring.  One of us fears that the people working on the vehicle could make a copy of the key and have access to the house.  Is the :tinfoilhat:  justified or overreaction? 
I have a keychain that I got for being in a wedding (groomsman's gift) that has a button that splits it in 2.  It has a ring on each end and I've had it for 20 years.  I leave my house key and some other random ones on one ring, and my car keys and keys to bike locks on the other (started as a way to leave my car running while I was entering my house in the winter).  So I guess I should have voted yes, but it's more because it's convenient as opposed to being a conscious effort to minimize risk.

No, but I usually bring the spare key which doesn't have any other keys on the ring so it is kind of a yes.

I don't keep any other keys attached to my car key.  I do remove my wife key from her stack of membership cards and key horde.

I don't keep any other keys on my car key either (actually, its a fob).  That said, I also go to a mechanic I trust.  I don't think I would go to a mechanic I think capable of stealing my key and breaking in to my house.  I wouldn't expect them to treat me ethically as a customer either in that case.

####, for years I've been changing all the locks after every car service, this seems so much easier.

I don't keep any other keys on my car key either (actually, its a fob).  That said, I also go to a mechanic I trust.  I don't think I would go to a mechanic I think capable of stealing my key and breaking in to my house.  I wouldn't expect them to treat me ethically as a customer either in that case.
It might not be the mechanic doing the break in. He could supplement his income by selling the copy and address to a third party. People buy credit card info, why not key info?

As my grandpa used to say "locks don't keep thieves out, they keep honest people honest." I remove it for the piece of mind. 

Ironically I had my car in for two days last month and forgot to remove my house keys. Bugged me the whole time not to mention I had to get a spare set from the sitter. 

NULL VOTE.  

I keep my car key on a separate ring from my house/work keys.  So, I don't remove anything, but they don't get my house/work keys. :shrug:  

It might not be the mechanic doing the break in. He could supplement his income by selling the copy and address to a third party. People buy credit card info, why not key info?
If he thinks he's going to get a haul based on the piece of junk I bring to get to get services, he's not the sharpest knife in the shed.

I Always remove my key set.. They get the car key only..
Way to easy to get a duplicate made, and since they have your address they can easily sell it off for some easy money. :tinfoilhat:

It's not overreaction.

Sadly, it's justified. 

Always take the key off even for a quick oil change.  What I don't understand is if you are talking about multiple days what do you do get an extra set of house keys and other keys you may need during those 3 days?  Seems easier in that scenario to take the key off.

I leave a fake house key on the ring. I figure if there are no other keys on the key ring I'll end up with a bunch of oil change guys at the front door yelling for Alexa to open up!

I take them off. Not because I'm worried about the mechanic getting into my house; I'm worried about me getting into my house.  :mellow:

I have a keychain that I got for being in a wedding (groomsman's gift) that has a button that splits it in 2.  It has a ring on each end and I've had it for 20 years.  I leave my house key and some other random ones on one ring, and my car keys and keys to bike locks on the other (started as a way to leave my car running while I was entering my house in the winter).  So I guess I should have voted yes, but it's more because it's convenient as opposed to being a conscious effort to minimize risk.
Same deal here.  Mr R just detaches the car key section from the rest of the keys.  Solves the problem.

Heck, I even take my garage door opener with me....house key is a no brainer.  It does feel kind of awkward when I take the house key off in front of them though.

It's a little of both.  The chances of anything happen are minor so to go overboard about it is an overreaction, but it is justified to remove the keys from the key ring and is the safest thing to do.  It really is a simple thing to do that minimizes risk.....so why not do it?

Same deal here.  Mr R just detaches the car key section from the rest of the keys.  Solves the problem.
Same here.  https://www.amazon.com/Locksmith-PROFESSIONAL-quality-Detachable-Keychains/dp/B00479PKUU

Before I opine on who is right I need to know if you are comfortable settling for masturbation for the next several weeks, or if you want to keep getting that good home cooking your wife is known for.

I have one of those VW key fob things so I just give them that.  Not because I think they'll steal from me, but because I may need my other keys. 

Before I opine on who is right I need to know if you are comfortable settling for masturbation for the next several weeks, or if you want to keep getting that good home cooking your wife is known for.
"In marriage, you can be right, or you can be happy." 

- Ralphie May

No house keys to worry about.  All electronic these days but I still have a couple other keys with my truck keys. This thread made me realize that out of force of habit from all those years of having house keys I've still been taking those other keys off when I take the truck in for service. I feel kinda liberated.  Thanks, FBG's!

Heck, I even take my garage door opener with me....house key is a no brainer.  It does feel kind of awkward when I take the house key off in front of them though.
Why? I'm sure they assume you need your house key...like to get into your house for example.

For what it’s worth… We literally never use our house keys. They are only there for emergencies ( AKA can’t get into the garage) . 

Users who are viewing this thread