What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California will soon be the world's 5th largest economy. (1 Viewer)

There is no substantial California public transportation infrastructure outside of BART, and to a lesser degree, CalTrain. It would have to built from scratch (which the bullet train proved is not currently possible under CA regulations).  That's assuming they could even come up with the hundreds of billions they would need to build the base infrastructure.
well you are looking at expensive trains but LRT has a really good price point, street cars are equally efficient and cost effective.  Also dedicated bus lanes are no cost whatsoever...

well you are looking at expensive trains but LRT has a really good price point, street cars are equally efficient and cost effective.  Also dedicated bus lanes are no cost whatsoever...
Equally efficient?  Good price point?Getting around town isn't the issue, nor is the cost of a light rail train.  If you are going to replace road traffic it has to be with a system robust enough to handle big city commute volumes.  That means putting stations and rail lines through prime property and heavily urbanized areas.  That's expensive and will incur decades of legal battle.

Buses and street cars already exist in the most heavily impacted areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
killface said:
You make it more expensive to drive and cheaper to take public transit.  Simple economics.  Like everywhere else that has successfully done it.

If you want confirmation of the costs feel free to flip through any engineering journal or check out the american society of civil engineers journal

Your insistence that we maintain the status quo cannot physically be done.   We are just pushing the infrastructure deficit down the road

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/state-item/california/
I'm not insisting on anyhing other than your argument doesn't hold water.

Not only are you underestimating the cost, you are also overestimating the willpower of Californian politicians to go out and increase taxes to pay for massive public transportation infrastructure.

Is the current position logical? Not really. Will it eventually lead to severe issues for the economy? Absolutely. Will anyone have the guts to do something about it before it is a crisis? Hell no. The politicians are worried about constituents and elections, not the future of the state. Kick the can down the road is a tried and true method of clinging to personal power and benefit and it works until the crisis is upon us. California is not there yet. 

jonessed said:
Equally efficient?  Good price point?Getting around town isn't the issue, nor is the cost of a light rail train.  If you are going to replace road traffic it has to be with a system robust enough to handle big city commute volumes.  That means putting stations and rail lines through prime property and heavily urbanized areas.  That's expensive and will incur decades of legal battle.

Buses and street cars already exist in the most heavily impacted areas.
You aren't listening.  I said dedicated bus lanes.  You start taking from the traffic lanes and putting in street cars and bus lanes and lrt.  The cost to do that is a drop in the hat compared to maintaining roads.  You should read some papers on infrastructure asset management.  I think you would learn a lot.

I'm not sure how you can make the argument that one person in a car is somehow more robust to handle big city commute volumes than 50 people in a street car?  The math just doesn't work.

I'm not insisting on anyhing other than your argument doesn't hold water.

Not only are you underestimating the cost, you are also overestimating the willpower of Californian politicians to go out and increase taxes to pay for massive public transportation infrastructure.

Is the current position logical? Not really. Will it eventually lead to severe issues for the economy? Absolutely. Will anyone have the guts to do something about it before it is a crisis? Hell no. The politicians are worried about constituents and elections, not the future of the state. Kick the can down the road is a tried and true method of clinging to personal power and benefit and it works until the crisis is upon us. California is not there yet. 
I couldn't agree more.  I think people would change and barely notice if the right options were available but politicians in the USA are scared to rock the boat so nothing changes

= less pollution and less congestion = massive savings in health care costs.  Yes, indeed, it is great planning by California

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/julyaug/19-californias-air-pollution-causes-asthma-allergies-and-premature-births

As to Tesla, everyone jumping for joy over the Foxconn announcement yesterday might have noticed the almost $5 billion in welfare being provided to them.  
Not sure why people keep misrepresenting this deal.  It's not "almost 5b", it's almost 3 billion in incentives and tax breaks and it's not like the State of WI is handing over 3 billion dollars tomorrow.  Foxconn has to hit certain marks in order to get those incentives.

Also, Foxconn is putting in a 10 billion investment.  so 10 billion investment - 3 billion incentives = 7 billion overall in the WI economy.  Not only that, Foxconn reached out to the University of Wisconsin on a partnership for cancer research.  And on top of THAT, they are now considering building a new office tower in downtown Milwaukee.

And for jobs, it will be 13K direct jobs with Foxconn and then 22K+ (estimated) for supplemental and ancillary businesses.

You probably should look at a better example to disparage than this one with Foxconn.

Yes, that is exactly what will happen.  It has been proven time and time again in countries across the globe.  The London Congestion Charge has been wildly successful.  

The costs of our spread out suburban lifestyle are astronomical both from a health and infrastructure perspective.  It's time for us to start squeezing those costs and doing things differently.  It just makes good economic sense.  The economic consequences of california's highway lifestyle are not sustainable economnically
Oof.  How big is England compared to CA?

Or the options also include

moving closer to work

finding work closer to home

encouraging your company to telecommute

the state investing in a safer, faster commuter options

That's exactly my point.  California has such infrastructure problems because the solution has always been to build more and more and more.  Well guess what that infrastructure deficit is now in the billions and the solution is not to build more.  The solution is to build less.  To reduce highways from12 lanes to 8 lanes etc...to take that money and invest it in transit and other options so people can live closer to work.  The money saved from building less infrastructure (and savings in health care)  will be much more than any investment would cost.  
The first 2 options are unreasonable and unrealistic expectations.  Most people don't have the income to just get up and move so environmental warriors can feel good about themselves.  Could you yourself, right now, move to some other place in CA?

encouraging companies to telecommute is a good idea, but how do you do that for those in the service industry?  Or construction?  Or any other job that requires a physical body to be on site?

Oof.  How big is England compared to CA?
It has nothing to do with size and everything to do with investment.  California has 2 real areas of population.  The bay area and the La/San Diego area. Those are very manageable areas with very cost effective solutions.  

Not sure why people keep misrepresenting this deal.  It's not "almost 5b", it's almost 3 billion in incentives and tax breaks and it's not like the State of WI is handing over 3 billion dollars tomorrow.  Foxconn has to hit certain marks in order to get those incentives.

Also, Foxconn is putting in a 10 billion investment.  so 10 billion investment - 3 billion incentives = 7 billion overall in the WI economy.  Not only that, Foxconn reached out to the University of Wisconsin on a partnership for cancer research.  And on top of THAT, they are now considering building a new office tower in downtown Milwaukee.

And for jobs, it will be 13K direct jobs with Foxconn and then 22K+ (estimated) for supplemental and ancillary businesses.

You probably should look at a better example to disparage than this one with Foxconn.
This isn't the the thread for you to come in and politize about your beloved Trump.  The point is that there is tons of corporate welfare everywhere

This isn't the the thread for you to come in and politize about your beloved Trump.  The point is that there is tons of corporate welfare everywhere
No one is doing that.  I was pointing out that you're purposefully misrepresenting the deal to make yours look better - that was the point.

The first 2 options are unreasonable and unrealistic expectations.  Most people don't have the income to just get up and move so environmental warriors can feel good about themselves.  Could you yourself, right now, move to some other place in CA?

encouraging companies to telecommute is a good idea, but how do you do that for those in the service industry?  Or construction?  Or any other job that requires a physical body to be on site?
Can you talk about anything without insulting people?  It seems impossible for you

Again this has nothing to do with 'environmental warriors' and everything to do with reducing the long term costs to the state.  Either you start changing, slowly, or you face the consequences

No one is doing that.  I was pointing out that you're misrepresenting the deal to make yours look better - that was the point.
This thread isn't about your beloved Trump.  I was making a point about corporate welfare and that's it.  I wasn't arguing benefits etc...take it somewhere else

You mean insulting like this one?
Oh give me a break.  You are the one calling people names and degenerating ideas because of your perceived notions.  Please, please just go back to the Trump thread and yell and insult people there.  

This was a pretty good discussion

Oh give me a break.  You are the one calling people names and degenerating ideas because of your perceived notions.  Please, please just go back to the Trump thread and yell and insult people there.  

This was a pretty good discussion
I'm not insulting you.  I'm trying to have dialog and point out that your argument is untenable and unrealistic and you're misrepresenting facts.

If you were insulted about "environmental warriors" then I apologize.

I'm not insulting you.  I'm trying to have dialog and point out that your argument is untenable and unrealistic and you're misrepresenting facts.

If you were insulted about "environmental warriors" then I apologize.
This was a discussion about economics and long term asset management.  There wasn't a single line about the environment until you came in here.

This was a discussion about economics and long term asset management.  There wasn't a single line about the environment until you came in here.
Sure there was.  It is the same post you misrepresented the Foxconn deal.  You said it right here.

= less pollution and less congestion = massive savings in health care costs.

Sure there was.  You said it right here.
Well if you actually don't remove the quote from the context it was actually linked with a study talking about the health care costs of dealing with air pollution.  But again, that's how you like to ruin discussions.  I'm nothing but a hippie ####### snowflake so everything is invalid.

Well if you actually don't remove the quote from the context it was actually linked with a study talking about the health care costs of dealing with air pollution.  But again, that's how you like to ruin discussions.  I'm nothing but a hippie ####### snowflake so everything is invalid.
You're way overreacting to my posts.  I also apologized for the "environmental warriors" comment.

The point of my posts was to say that it was unreasonable to expect people to get up and move at the drop of a hat as MOST people cannot afford to do so and may not want to do so.

And it simply was pointing out the Foxconn deal you used was misrepresented.  That's all.  It's all relevant to the discussion in here.

It has nothing to do with size and everything to do with investment.  California has 2 real areas of population.  The bay area and the La/San Diego area. Those are very manageable areas with very cost effective solutions.  
True.  There is 8 hours of nothing between Los  Angeles and San Francisco except orchards and road signs in the middle of dead orchards that say "killed by congress" or "no water no food".

Huh.  Thought they closed that down when Congress killed it and they ran out of water and food. 
Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.

Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.
Grampa’s grampa, he fit in the Revolution. We was farm people till the debt. And then—them people. They done somepin to us. Ever’ time they come seemed like they was a-whippin’ me—all of us. An’ in Needles, that police. He done somepin to me, made me feel mean. Made me feel ashamed. An’ now I ain’t ashamed. These folks is our folks—is our folks.

I work in a job where I deal with 3 classes of people. People from Texas, people from NYC, and people from Southern California. 

Want to know who's by far the worst? Most people I ask this say people from NYC. This is false. People from NYC can be very rude. BUT: You can be rude right back to them. They expect it. 

The worst people are from Southern California. They all have a Huge sense of entitlement. Just ridiculous. And they're obnoxiously condescending. Edit: Forgot pretentious. 

I've been there, and the climate is great, but it could slide into the ocean for all I care. 

I work in a job where I deal with 3 classes of people. People from Texas, people from NYC, and people from Southern California. 

Want to know who's by far the worst? Most people I ask this say people from NYC. This is false. People from NYC can be very rude. BUT: You can be rude right back to them. They expect it. 

The worst people are from Southern California. They all have a Huge sense of entitlement. Just ridiculous. And they're obnoxiously condescending. 

I've been there, and the climate is great, but it could slide into the ocean for all I care. 
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder629/500x/32269629.jpg

The worst people are from Southern California. They all have a Huge sense of entitlement. Just ridiculous. And they're obnoxiously condescending. Edit: Forgot pretentious. 

You need to come back, I'd like some more caviar. Be quick about it! 

msommer said:
Do not fret. It will
Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dip sh#ts.

Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon.
I certainly hope we will cause
I sure could use a vacation from this

Stupid sh#t, silly sh#t, stupid sh#t...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim
(3x)

Los Angeles awarded Olympics in 2028. 

i guess scrapping infrastructure will have to wait a bit. at least for SoCal.

Los Angeles awarded Olympics in 2028. 

i guess scrapping infrastructure will have to wait a bit. at least for SoCal.
Powered solely by solar, wind, and unicorn farts.

Though, at least, they won't have to air condition the desert like the geniuses at FIFA decided (i.e. were bribed) to do.

Powered solely by solar, wind, and unicorn farts.

Though, at least, they won't have to air condition the desert like the geniuses at FIFA decided (i.e. were bribed) to do.
Everyone knows there's no future in unicorn fart power.  

Is this the thread where delusional conservatives try to pretend that Cali's not our greatest state?  And that's it's even close?
It's a dichotomy.  You have some absolutely astonishingly effective producers/creators (technology, entertainment, agriculture) and a host of leeches/detractors (government on all levels, among others).  Right now the creators are winning.  Still wouldn't ever decide willingly to live in LA, though.

killface said:
It's amazing to me that anyone can be so black and white to call all government 'leeches'.  How simple your life must be to be that right all the time.
Leeches until you need a road fixed, the cops called, want good schools for your kids, or a fair judiciary system.  Other than that, leeches for sure. 

I love to read Fitzgerald.

It’s the same model that previously led to 10% unemployment.  California booms and busts pretty dramatically due to its heavy reliance on the stock market for revenue.
Please show a similar set of policies that were put in place in a similar period of time in California prior to 2011 that resulted in 10% unemployment.  Or more importantly an unemployment rate that was outline with similar states that did not enact such policies.

Please show a similar set of policies that were put in place in a similar period of time in California prior to 2011 that resulted in 10% unemployment.  Or more importantly an unemployment rate that was outline with similar states that did not enact such policies.
California’s policy on the environment, worker’s rights, taxation, the continued expansion of Medical have been the same for the last 20 years

And the article is flat out wrong on infrastructure investment.  Touting the cap and trade money and high speed rail is absurd.  High speed rail has been an abject failure and the cap and trade money for infrastructure never materialized.

California’s policy on the environment, worker’s rights, taxation, the continued expansion of Medical have been the same for the last 20 years
Please show a similar set of policies that were put in place in a similar period of time in California prior to 2011 that resulted in 10% unemployment.  Or more importantly an unemployment rate that was out of line with similar states that did not enact such policies.

ETA: The author's list is here

And the article is flat out wrong on infrastructure investment.  Touting the cap and trade money and high speed rail is absurd.  High speed rail has been an abject failure and the cap and trade money for infrastructure never materialized.
So this is factually wrong?

• California has made major investments in public infrastructure. In 2014, the state allocated 25 percent of the revenue raised from its cap and trade program to the construction of its high-speed rail link between the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. During the 2014 election, California voters approved $7.5 billion in bond financing to improve the state’s water infrastructure

Users who are viewing this thread