What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California will soon be the world's 5th largest economy. (2 Viewers)

What public health issues have occurred in the last 20 years as a result of illegal immigrants not having healthcare?
Oh they have healthcare now. 187 was thrown out in the courts; they can go to emergency rooms and they do. 

But it costs us much more money. Tuberculosis is an obvious example: it costs a few dollars to treat when you first get it and thousands of dollars to treat if you let it get you sick. As far as future health risks, the news suggests that old diseases are making a comeback: measles for one. It’s a good idea to expand health care for these folks, not withdraw it. 

By the way, they’re not illegal. They’re undocumented. 

I'm not a fan of crowds, congested traffic, nor high cost of living.  That rules out large swaths of California for me, but certainly not all of the state. 

Oh they have healthcare now. 187 was thrown out in the courts; they can go to emergency rooms and they do. 

But it costs us much more money. Tuberculosis is an obvious example: it costs a few dollars to treat when you first get it and thousands of dollars to treat if you let it get you sick. As far as future health risks, the news suggests that old diseases are making a comeback: measles for one. It’s a good idea to expand health care for these folks, not withdraw it. 

So you're speculating about public health concerns because there haven't been any caused by this group of people?

By the way, they’re not illegal. They’re undocumented
This has always struck me weird.  Many may have all sorts of documents, what they lack is proper permission to be here as they have avoided the legal system for proper admittance.   I could see use of the term "unpermitted" but "undocumented" seems to miss the point, linguistically.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're speculating about public health concerns because there haven't been any caused by this group of people?
I’m not speculating, RW. One of my closest friends has spent her entire career in public health in Southern California and on this subject I defer to her knowledge and judgment. She tells me that it is extremely important, and cost effective, to give undocumented people access to basic healthcare. 

As far as future health risks, the news suggests that old diseases are making a comeback: measles for one.
Are you suggesting that measles is "making a comeback" due to illegal immigrants without healthcare coverage? I thought it was because of the anti-vaccination movement.

This has always struck me weird.  Many may have all sorts of documents, what they lack is proper permission to be here as they have avoided the legal system.   I could see use of the term "unpermitted" but undocumented seems to miss the point, linguistically.
As long as we don’t use the word illegal I’m good. A person can’t be illegal. 

Are you suggesting that measles is "making a comeback" due to illegal immigrants without healthcare coverage? I thought it was because of the anti-vaccination movement.
It is. But undocumented people also don’t get vaccinated in the same percentages as citizens. 

I’m not speculating, RW. One of my closest friends has spent her entire career in public health in Southern California and on this subject I defer to her knowledge and judgment. She tells me that it is extremely important, and cost effective, to give undocumented people access to basic healthcare. 
LOL.  This is at least the 4th or 5th subject where you quote a friend and pretend to be the expert.   Have a good one.

Can you provide a single link that shows that unauthorized immigrants have contributed to the measles "comeback"?
No, and I didn’t make this claim. 
You implied it in your answer to @Ramblin Wreck. Otherwise, why bring it up given his question?

What public health issues have occurred in the last 20 years as a result of illegal immigrants not having healthcare?

I need to read it. Based on the headline yeah, though like Klobuchar on this issue I would prefer limiting non citizens to the basics. 
I think for a lot of people it comes down to price and how adding more customers affects their health coverage. 

Small tax and no change would get a lot of support, but were talking an extra 2 million people added to the healthcare system. That will take a toll.

I am spending the weekend in Carmel (officially  Carmel By the Sea). I haven’t been here since I was a kid. What a beautiful little town. Great food, great art, and so peaceful. 

Tonight we are driving into Monterey to have dinner at Cannery Row, Steinbeck country. This state never stops revealing its treasures to me. 

I am spending the weekend in Carmel (officially  Carmel By the Sea). I haven’t been here since I was a kid. What a beautiful little town. Great food, great art, and so peaceful. 

Tonight we are driving into Monterey to have dinner at Cannery Row, Steinbeck country. This state never stops revealing its treasures to me. 
Nice!   

Im spending next week in Tahoe and Yosemite.  Probably 2 of the most beautiful places on the planet, all here in Cali.  

Nice!   

Im spending next week in Tahoe and Yosemite.  Probably 2 of the most beautiful places on the planet, all here in Cali.  
Nevada does get to claim part of Tahoe. 

As an atheist, Yosemite Valley is the only place on earth where I am forced to question my lack of belief. 

Nevada does get to claim part of Tahoe. 

As an atheist, Yosemite Valley is the only place on earth where I am forced to question my lack of belief. 
For sure.  

Went to college in Santa Cruz, that area is stunning to.  Love Big Sur.   Wife and I stayed on Cannery Row a few months ago.  

Los Angeles officials tell governor Gavin Newsom to declare a state of emergency over area's homeless problem to open up funds usually reserved for natural disasters.

The city's County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas and City Councilman Joe Buscaino came up with a proposal to implement the state of emergency due to a growing number of tent encampments in major cities.  

Supporters claim that declaring an emergency would free up state and federal funding typically reserved for natural disasters, such as earthquakes or wildfires.

It would also eliminate or streamline bureaucratic red tape that can often delay shelter and housing developments. 

Newsom has yet to comment on the current request for a state of emergency declaration. 

'There are more questions that need to be worked through before he could support something like that,' Newsom spokesman Nathan Click told the Los Angeles Times.  

Gary Blasi, a retired law professor who specializes in homelessness issues, told the outlet: 'The governor should not sign a declaration of emergency until the proponents identify the specific laws and regulations they want to get around, and the resources they believe the declaration would free up.

I supported the idea on a national level, but I think it will be a huge mistake if California goes this alone.  Are people in California illegally going to be receiving this?  Does the middle class support the 10% VAT?

A proposed California law would provide most adults in the state with a universal basic income (UBI) of $1,000 per month, similar to the proposed plan of former presidential candidate Andrew Yang.

The California Universal Basic Income Program was introduced by Democratic California State Assembly member Evan Low on Thursday. Low was the co-chair of Yang's campaign and the proposal bears a striking similarity to the former candidate's national plan.

"I've just introduced Assembly Bill 2712- California Universal Basic Income (UBI).. Continuing your work, @AndrewYang. #HumanityFirst #UBI," Low tweeted on Friday.

The program would be paid for with a state value-added tax of 10 percent on goods and services, with exemptions for groceries, medicine, medical supplies, clothing, textbooks and other items. Recipients of several programs, including the state's Medicaid plan, would be ineligible.

Max Power said:
I supported the idea on a national level, but I think it will be a huge mistake if California goes this alone.  Are people in California illegally going to be receiving this?  Does the middle class support the 10% VAT?
California still has a massive pension whole they exclude from their budget numbers and a tax policy that’s massively dependent on the stock market.  It’s going to get absolutely hammered in the next recession.

I’m a California native. Went to high school, college and started my legal career there. My son is in college there. I’m a big fan. Will likely retire there, at least part time. But we’re seriously hoping that our son doesn’t stay there after he graduates from college. I have to think it is so hard to get a start there on an entry-level job income. Between the tax burden and the cost of living, how the heck can a twenty-something save up enough money for a down payment on a home in an area that is near where the jobs are? And as amazing as the quality of life is (weather, natural beauty, outdoor activities), there are growing problems that mar that somewhat (traffic, tent cities, cleanliness).

I’m a California native. Went to high school, college and started my legal career there. My son is in college there. I’m a big fan. Will likely retire there, at least part time. But we’re seriously hoping that our son doesn’t stay there after he graduates from college. I have to think it is so hard to get a start there on an entry-level job income. Between the tax burden and the cost of living, how the heck can a twenty-something save up enough money for a down payment on a home in an area that is near where the jobs are? And as amazing as the quality of life is (weather, natural beauty, outdoor activities), there are growing problems that mar that somewhat (traffic, tent cities, cleanliness).
We feel the same way but our son isn't as old.  It's hard to imagine where this is all going.  The USA has been somewhat delayed in the real estate response a lot of the world is seeing but it's finally here.  Homes are commodity to be traded and speculated on by the world's elite.  California will never lose it's property value and it will only go up.  It will leave the state an empty shell of it's former self with neighborhoods gutted of their community and connectiveness.  

the short answer is "probably can't" with regard to saving for a down payment on a house, but that kinda depends on what career(s) he's going to enter and where he wants to, or is willing to live. 

Housing in the Bay Area is pretty much un-affordable, especially for someone starting entry-level. however, if he's willing to go to the Central Valley there are a lot more opportunities on the housing front. obviously, Turlock <> San Rafael, but if housing is the top priority then that's the sacrifice. 

depending on his career decision starting out, he may be able to WFH or only have to be into a regular office setting a couple of days a week which would help on the commute side if he decides to work in/near a more affluent part of CA. i don't know many 20-somethings who are looking to save & purchase a house right away: most are willing to either A) live at home, or B) rent a spot with a bunch of roommates (lower rents, bills, etc.). 

California about to become the 4th largest economy in the world.

and oddly enough ...

In the fiscal year of 2021, California's state debt stood at about 143.73 billion U.S. dollars. By the fiscal year of 2027, this is expected to increase to about 188.54 billion U.S. dollars.

Why is that odd?

you'd think a monster economy would = surplus not billions in deficits
Quoted for posterity. Unreal.

This one line response from you speaks volumes and explains so much. You don't have the slightest clue about basic finance. I've spent years reading your posts criticizing fiscal policies without that context. Now that I have it, I can save so much time not bothering to read your posts.

Last edited:

This one line response from you speaks volumes and explains so much. You don't have the slightest clue about basic finance. I've spent years reading your posts criticizing fiscal policies without that context. Now that I have it, I can save so much time not bothering to read your posts.
As you know, it would be at best incompetent, if not fiscal malfeasance for a large gov't like California to not carry debt.

Probably one of the dumbest ideas I've read on these boards. Ever.

I love reading super smart people talking down to others on debt - billions and trillion in debt is GOOD !!!

You're right, I will never understand how a US Fed GOvt brings in trillions, spends trillions more, then blames our tax system and working people not paying in enough to the point of hiring 87,000 new money hunters to go find money that they can take ........ when we all know and agree it won't matter how much is brought in, the US Fed Govt will spent trillions more anyway

but hey, that's really really sold financing isn't it?

As you know, it would be at best incompetent, if not fiscal malfeasance for a large gov't like California to not carry debt.

Probably one of the dumbest ideas I've read on these boards. Ever.

I love reading super smart people talking down to others on debt - billions and trillion in debt is GOOD !!!

You're right, I will never understand how a US Fed GOvt brings in trillions, spends trillions more, then blames our tax system and working people not paying in enough to the point of hiring 87,000 new money hunters to go find money that they can take ........ when we all know and agree it won't matter how much is brought in, the US Fed Govt will spent trillions more anyway

So when you're called out about your lack of fiscal understanding, you change the subject and try to inject some other issue to cover up for your previous post?

Awful.

LOL, California has done nothing to become the fourth largest economy on the planet.

Europe, Germany in particular, is deindustrializing. So, in reality, Germany is slinking backwards into the cold and dark. Same country that hailed renewables as the way is bringing three coal fired power plants back to life and firewood is back in vogue. (Good job Greta :lmao:)

Deindustrialization in Europe:
Fertilizer down 70%
Aluminum down 50%
Silicon down 27%
Steel down 17%
Paper & packaging down 15%
100% of Zinc Smelters shut or curtailed
Total chem industry set to decline 40%, due to natural gas shortages. (Please don't bother with replies telling me natural gas will be back for Europe in the future. It won't)

SC, not trying to be an a-hole here, seriously am not. But do you understand the difference between a deficit and debt?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread