What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ideas for expensive gift for 50 yr old birthday (1 Viewer)

tommyboy

Footballguy
For a man. What would you give or what would you want to get if you were turning 50

Same question for a woman.

Hypothetical budget $1000- $3000

I'd want an experience, rather than an item.

Something like a Mediterranean cruise that had lots of stops that allowed me to visit the ancient ruins and such. 

If I had to choose an actual item--I'm a watch guy--so a cool watch would be rad. Maybe a vintage Omega speedmaster or something of that nature.  

If there was the option of receiving the gift of an experience--I'd say maybe a "buy in" to one or two of the World Series of poker events would be super cool.   

Man: nice watch or 4k TV/high end surround sound and speaker or 3 days in Vegas (right now I can get 2 roundtrip tickets and 3 nights at the Wynn for $1400.)

Woman: a high end purse or the Vegas trip

Obviously for both, you should know what the other person likes

Something like a Mediterranean cruise that had lots of stops that allowed me to visit the ancient ruins and such. 
Well yeah, but that will cost a lot more than $3k! That is where you are smart and combine the birthday gifts 

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be my wife and I's 10th anniversary next summer so we are thinking about doing something big for each other.I think I agree with others that an experience is the best route. That or a home renovation. 

Yep. This is the only thing that would sway me from an experience. 

Home is THE experience of life.
I am lucky, my wife has always been in favor of not exchanging gifts for bdays. Christmas, etc. Instead we have taken trips, redone the kitchen, got new outdoor furniture, etc. It's a great way to go IMO. 

Masters tickets would be awesome. Hopefully they have an event that would be similar in excitement (sports,concert, broadway show)

Thanks, what is the best trip/reno your family as done?
Trips:

1) Hawaii in the 70's - hit lots of undeveloped spots across the islands...took a cool helicopter tour...experienced the culture.

2) Costa Rica in the 2010's - My best friend from kindergarten onward lives there now...he took us to the spots that aren't overrun...lots of historical stuff, etc.

While we very much enjoyed those trips, I still really want to do the Mediterranean trip I mentioned up thread. 

Renovation:

1) Fall/Winter 2016 - New furnace, A/C, roof, 2 bathrooms re-done, game room re-done and loads of new drywall and painting. 

I'm in the business, so I did a lot of it myself, but it still rang up a bigger bill than our trips. My house is a 1912 folk Victorian, so it had lots of expensive  needs that were put off for too long. 

On the whole, I rate these things about equally. After 23 years of old bathrooms though, the new ones are quite the experience! :lol:

Couple things I've done on the last few months (I'm 54):

Saw Hamilton (again)

Rented a Tesla P85D with Insane mode through Turo

Trips:

1) Hawaii in the 70's - hit lots of undeveloped spots across the islands...took a cool helicopter tour...experienced the culture.

2) Costa Rica in the 2010's - My best friend from kindergarten onward lives there now...he took us to the spots that aren't overrun...lots of historical stuff, etc.

While we very much enjoyed those trips, I still really want to do the Mediterranean trip I mentioned up thread. 

Renovation:

1) Fall/Winter 2016 - New furnace, A/C, roof, 2 bathrooms re-done, game room re-done and loads of new drywall and painting. 

I'm in the business, so I did a lot of it myself, but it still rang up a bigger bill than our trips. My house is a 1912 folk Victorian, so it had lots of expensive  needs that were put off for too long. 

On the whole, I rate these things about equally. After 23 years of old bathrooms though, the new ones are quite the experience! :lol:
Makes me feel old but the bolded got me most excited. That and Hawaii sounds great. 

I'm thinking Pebble Beach golf trip or if the guy is more the hunter/fisher type maybe a guided trip.

For a woman maybe a really fancy purse or some amazing diamond earrings. Or a paid trip for her and a girlfriend to NYC

For a man. What would you give or what would you want to get if you were turning 50

Same question for a woman.

Hypothetical budget $1000- $3000
I think for that kind of money and milestone it should be something related to a person's hobbies/favorite things to do.  What do these people do if anything when not at work?

I think for that kind of money and milestone it should be something related to a person's hobbies/favorite things to do.  What do these people do if anything when not at work?
Man: golf, ski, camp, hunt, fish, watch football.

Woman: fashion designer, hiking, fine art, travels, loves the movie industry.

These are people I know, but the question is purely hypothetical and you could imagine anyone you know, or yourself.

Get a mold of your penis.  Works for a man or woman. If not expensive enough (due to size... or lack thereof), line it with jewels.  Maybe pearls or something. This way you're providing something tangible as well as an experience. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving.  

Golf trip to Bandon Dunes. $3k should cover golf, food, booze, and travel for the full experience (I.e. A round at each course). 

Get a mold of your penis.  Works for a man or woman. If not expensive enough (due to size... or lack thereof), line it with jewels.  Maybe pearls or something. This way you're providing something tangible as well as an experience. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving.  
Penis De Milo

Man: golf, ski, camp, hunt, fish, watch football.

Woman: fashion designer, hiking, fine art, travels, loves the movie industry.

These are people I know, but the question is purely hypothetical and you could imagine anyone you know, or yourself.
Is there a type of game he hasn't hunted before?  Seems like a hunting trip might be in order.  Just try not to kill Cecil the Lion.

Experience for sure. You won't remember a high end purse or an item near as well as an experience. As for the woman, what's the relation to you? Coworker, friend, cousin....? Married?  In Cali you can do a trip to Napa if she loves wine, Carmel/Monterey (arts and nature), SF, Lake Tahoe... That would be within your budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wife and I went on a two week cruise to Istanbul, Greek islands, Athens, Ephesus, Cairo/Alexander, olympus, and concluded in Athens.  Best trip ever.

Users who are viewing this thread