What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty trade offer (1 Viewer)

dukezib

Footballguy
16-team dynasty league. Inherited a team and rebuilding... League has IDP but starts at offense: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 R/W/T. Draft has ended yesterday and FA QBs are garbage, as there are teams stashing 4 QBs.

I've been offered Carson Palmer + Josh Doctson + 2019 1st rnd (probably late 1st) for my QB1 Drew Brees. My QB2 is Philip Rivers.

At a glance, I tend to say NO. The reality of these players aren't that good:
- At his career point, Carson Palmer doesn't offer much upside, even for a solo season, as he did not refuse some retirement talks;
- Josh Doctson has a huge health question mark... and I have Corey Coleman to concern me about health.
- and I am a Saints fan, this can or cannot be influencing me...

.. at the same time, there can be some good speculations:
- Cardinals seems to get some boost in its WR corps, with the return of John Brown. Don't know much about this teams' OL;
- Doctson is doing well in his slow return. Huge talent and long-term potential is there...

If I've been reading the right sources, next year draft is somewhat good at QB. If this is right, am I doing well countering with something in order to get his next year 1st round pick?? Like just Doctson + 2018 1st round (as I am not willing to drop another player to get Palmer). Or the better is reject this and wait for a in-season contender to offer something more palpable?

Another fact is that I already have two 2018 first-round picks.

My offense has...
QB: Brees, Rivers
RB: CJ Anderson, Latavius Murray, Alvin Kamara, Kenyan Drake, Tim Hightower, Brian Hill
WR: AJ Green, Willie Snead, Will Fuller, Cole Beasley, Corey Coleman, Carlos Henderson
TE: CJ Fiedorowicz, Jonnu Smith, Austin Seferian-Jenkins

That offer is crap.  I don't understand why the other team would offer Carson Palmer to a team that is rebuilding.  

Pass.  Put Brees on the block and see what other offers you get.  You can get a lot more for him.

What does the other team look like on offense?
Cam Newton, C.Palmer, T.Siemian, T.Bridgewater
Leveon Bell, Devonta Freeman, Melvin Gordon, Ty Montgomery, G.Bernard, Kenneth Dixon, Tarik Cohen, Donnel Pumphrey
Michael Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Terrelle Pryor, Marvin Jones, Taylor Gabriel, Josh Doctson
Jack Doyle, Gerald Everett

I see Doctson + Palmer are totally expendable for him...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like Doctson and Palmer is useless to you so this is basically a very late 1st in a 16 team league for Brees, which isn't enough.  I agree about putting Brees on the block and seeing what you can get from other teams.  From this team I would have to get only young players and/or his 1st, which is going to be tough because he either has elite players or players I don't really want.  Not much in between.  Maybe Pryor and his 1st for Brees?  I don't like Pryor that much, but he has more realistically achievable upside than Doctson.  Maybe try to get some lower level players who have a little long term upside in the deal, like Siemian/Bridgewater and Pumphrey.

I would also shop Murray to the Cook owner and I would put both Rivers and Anderson on the block in addition to Brees.  If you are going to rebuild, then get value for all of your older players and players who have little long term upside but could help a team this year.  Go all in on the rebuild and don't trade away your own future picks.

That offer is crap.  I don't understand why the other team would offer Carson Palmer to a team that is rebuilding.  

Pass.  Put Brees on the block and see what other offers you get.  You can get a lot more for him.
When I inherited the team, about 2 months ago, first thing I've made was put Brees & Rivers on the block. This was the 1st offer for one of them...

In the answer above, I've put the other team offense (in fact, he is the actual champion). I think I would be more enthusiastic if he offered me some help at RB, right?

It's a crappy offer for Brees, who could be the guy to get him over the hump.  He has a good team but Drew is an upgrade.  He offered you his most expendable players and a marginal draft pick (16 teamer) TWO years in the future.

Make him PAY for Brees.

It's a crappy offer for Brees, who could be the guy to get him over the hump.  He has a good team but Drew is an upgrade.  He offered you his most expendable players and a marginal draft pick (16 teamer) TWO years in the future.

Make him PAY for Brees.
It's what makes me angry. Thinking in counteroffer heavy (like Melvin Gordon + something), just to make him angry as well. But I just don't like to act like that.

When I inherited the team, about 2 months ago, first thing I've made was put Brees & Rivers on the block. This was the 1st offer for one of them...

In the answer above, I've put the other team offense (in fact, he is the actual champion). I think I would be more enthusiastic if he offered me some help at RB, right?
Sure.  I would love to acquire Gordon or Freeman.  Michael Thomas could work too.  You tell the other owner that you need one of these players in the deal or it's a pass.

You may have to sit tight and see what happens.

Michael Thomas is probably off limits because he can pair Brees with him to get the stack.

From his perspective, this is a deal he doesn't have to make (seeing as where he has Newton) and since you are new he is seeing how much FF acumen you have. I would counter with something reasonable but send him a note telling him that you think Brees has significantly more value than that of a cut-worthy WR, a QB with one leg, and a late-round rookie pick. Don't burn a bridge - you may need to cross it later on.

I would aim for Gordon and his 1st Round Pick. 

Wow, just wow.  Freeman?  Gordon?  Michael Thomas?  For a 38 year old QB in a 1 QB league?  Even without rookie 1sts on top those are equally bad as the original offer was.  Go check out some dynasty startup draft.  Those guys are 1st and 2nd round picks.  Brees is a 6th at best, I got him in the 9th recently.  Hell those guys are well ahead of him in redrafts.

The first offer was indeed awful, but that's expected when talking about a guy in a position of strength.  He has Cam, he's "fine" at QB.  You have to remember you aren't offering him Brees, you are offering him the upgrade from Cam to Brees.  That's not overly significant.

Offer him Brees for Cam.  He gets a free upgrade at the cost of some longevity, you get a lot of longevity in exchange for short term PPG that don't help you. 

Montgomery would be a good option too if PPR.  He's his 4th RB and he's got a chance to become very valuable and Palmer is a throw-in for him.

Speaking of throw-ins, Dixon won't mean much to him at all, so keep him in mind as a way to tip the scales in your favor.

Bottom line it's really hard to get value out of any QB in a 1 QB league, you're going to "lose the trade" any way you do it.  Just do it in a way that's productive for your team.  The only way to do that is with patience.  Don't take a crappy offer now.  It's July.  You can hold him until October.  Someone will get off to a better start and think they have a chance, someone will lose a QB to injury, someone will see their bet on Cousins/Mariotta/Winston/Carr fail to pay off.  At least one guy in your league will be interested in ponying up at some point, wait for it.

Michael Thomas is probably off limits because he can pair Brees with him to get the stack.

From his perspective, this is a deal he doesn't have to make (seeing as where he has Newton) and since you are new he is seeing how much FF acumen you have. I would counter with something reasonable but send him a note telling him that you think Brees has significantly more value than that of a cut-worthy WR, a QB with one leg, and a late-round rookie pick. Don't burn a bridge - you may need to cross it later on.

I would aim for Gordon and his 1st Round Pick. 
And I burn the bridge, I reject the offer telling him this offer is CRAP... and if you wants Brees, send an offer that makes sense for both of us.  

I agree with Hankmoody and try and work Cam into the deal.  I would go for Cam, Dixon and his 2019 1st rounder.  I think that is something that helps you long term and doesn't even put a ripple into his current push for the title. 

If that isn't doable then I would hold off until mid season and see what a contender would pony up for the title push.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hankmoody said:
... Go check out some dynasty startup draft.  Those guys are 1st and 2nd round picks.  Brees is a 6th at best, I got him in the 9th recently.  Hell those guys are well ahead of him in redrafts....
You got a point here... 

Users who are viewing this thread