What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should swimming lessons be mandatory in school? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
I think everyone should know how to swim. Also, I think there are certain things kids should definitely learn in school (such as personal finance, but that's another topic).

Should swimming lessons be mandatory?

Maybe sometime between first and fourth grade?

No. Absolutely not .This is a parental responsibility.How many grammar schools have pools ?

I think swimming is important. But I don't think it should be mandatory in school. It just seems like it is outside the purview of what schools should teach.

No. Watching adults that clearly don't know how to swim struggle to doggie paddle in the 4 foot pool at my condo is alone of my favorite guilty pleasures

short answer: yes. 

but the logistics are a nightmare. 

not sure how many elementary schools have pools on campus, so you'll need to find a public pool that will accommodate 30+ kids. and you don't learn how to swim in just a single 30 minute session, so the lessons will have to take place over a number of days/weeks and you'll have to factor in transportation to and from the facility. then there's the liability angle: it's not like taking little Johnny or Sally out to the playground and teaching them how to swing a bat or shoot a jumper, we're talking about water and kids who don't know how not to drown. further, you'll need six or seven [certified] instructors (for a class of 30+) to handle that many kids at one time. and as strapped for $$$ as many districts are, getting funding allocated for such a program will be a challenge too. 

Why should it be mandatory? Unless the kid lives in waterworld this shouldn't be a question. Would it be wise? Perhaps -- but no more mandatory than making a kid take skiing or jai alai. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree everyone should know how to swim. May save a life (particularly, their own) some day. Plus it's fun and great exercise. Living in MN where there is water everywhere, we got our kids in lessons as early as possible. 

Mandatory is a little aggressive and (like some of the others said) not all schools have pools. But I think it's important and would like to see it more encouraged (if nothing else). 

Definitely agree about finance, too.

Why should it be mandatory? Unless the kid lives in waterworld this shouldn't be a question. Would it be wise? Perhaps -- but no more mandatory than making a kid take skiing or jai alai. 
Really? 

It's something that could mean life or death to someone. Not the same as skiing or jai alai.

For example, this father was fishing with his son on the Mississippi river when the son fell in the water. The dad went in ti get him and drowned....he was 20something and didn't know how to swim.

http://people.com/human-interest/dad-drowns-saving-son-mississippi-river-final-photo/

No, it shouldn't be mandatory

I can tell you that a year of gym was mandatory in my daughter's high school and one of the blocks is swimming--so you learn to swim or get a bad grade. 

It was mandatory at my high school in San Diego.  9th grade you had to take PE and that included swim class.  If you passed the test and proved you could swim then you got to do other things like water polo or races.  If not you learned to swim.  I imagine parents could opt their kids out if they had reasons too.

With that, no it should not be mandatory in school.  And by HS it is probably too late.  Parents responsibility imo.  And my schools did not have a pool until HS either.

It was mandatory at my high school in San Diego.  9th grade you had to take PE and that included swim class.  If you passed the test and proved you could swim then you got to do other things like water polo or races.  If not you learned to swim.  I imagine parents could opt their kids out if they had reasons too.

With that, no it should not be mandatory in school.  And by HS it is probably too late.  Parents responsibility imo.  And my schools did not have a pool until HS either.
lol - i don't think maybe a handful around here have one.   

I think everyone should know how to swim. Also, I think there are certain things kids should definitely learn in school (such as personal finance, but that's another topic).

My brother-in-law teaches a class on personal finance at our HS that is required for graduation.  It's a great course that covers the basics of credit cards, loans, credit scores, balancing a checkbook and income taxes.

And no, swimming lessons should not be mandatory.

No, but my high school made swim class mandatory to graduate in order to justify its having a pool in the building. 

I don't think it should be a Federally mandated "YOU MUST SWIM" law with schools......but  schools and school districts who have the means (either by a pool at the school or the finances to work out a deal with an entity that has a pool)  would do their students a service by making it part of their physical ed curriculum. It would serve their children better than dodge ball.  My childrens school district does it in third grade. 

Really? 

It's something that could mean life or death to someone. Not the same as skiing or jai alai.

For example, this father was fishing with his son on the Mississippi river when the son fell in the water. The dad went in ti get him and drowned....he was 20something and didn't know how to swim.

http://people.com/human-interest/dad-drowns-saving-son-mississippi-river-final-photo/
It should be common sense that you don't play around bodies of water if you don't know how to swim. There are plenty of people who will never be in a situation like that and don't need to learn to swim. 

I don't think it should be a Federally mandated "YOU MUST SWIM" law with schools......but  schools and school districts who have the means (either by a pool at the school or the finances to work out a deal with an entity that has a pool)  would do their students a service by making it part of their physical ed curriculum. It would serve their children better than dodge ball.  My childrens school district does it in third grade. 
Well there's your actually thoughtful correct reply.  

The insurance costs alone would be astronomical.   This is what the local Y is for.

In a perfect world every school would have a pool and it would be a mandatory part of the PE curriculum.

This isn't a perfect world.

The end.

Do the community pools in your area sit empty and unused? I know mine aren't. How on earth do you expect to accommodate all the hours a school would need to book?
The pools in my area are open enough to accommodate a grade from one of our schools at a time.  Of course, it takes more than an hour once with one instructor to teach kids a swim and the mass classes usually don't work to actually teach someone to swim.  It would need to be more about water safety than swimming well. Even then this isn't a federal issue, should be up to the school. 

Users who are viewing this thread