What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ezekiel Elliott Suspension Worries 7/17 - How many games suspended? (1 Viewer)

Based on what we know as of 7/17, how many (if any) games do you think Elliott is suspended this yea

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • 1-2

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • 3-4

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • 5-6

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 7-8

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 9-10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 11+

Votes: 7 4.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
The hot topic today is a POSSIBLE suspension for Ezekiel Elliott.

Based on what we know as of 7/17, how many (if any) games do you think Elliott is suspended this year?

I feel like he was a few days from boarding a flight to training camp and staring at a 1-2 game suspension. Now I'm putting it at 3-4.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 8. Not because of the incidents themselves but because the NFL and Goodell will want sports and media people coming out in defense of Elliot saying that it's too much. This isn't about discipline for Zeke's actions, it's about the PR spin. 

The Cowboys aren't a franchise that have money troubles. Financially they can weather the storm of losing Zeke for 8 games. 

I thought that somewhere along the line he would get a 3-4 and upon appeal be reduced to 1-2 for his pre-nfl shenanigans followed by pulling that girls shirt up.

But if he assaulted someone i feel like its the same situation just sooner than later and less likely to be reduced. Voting 3-4 this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on what we know as of 7/17, how many (if any) games do you think Elliott is suspended this year?
I'm thinking zero from the NFL himself since he's the new poster child NFL running back.

Question is whether or not Dallas decides to take any action or not. 

I'm gonna say 16..  The NFL basically threw the book at a guy for smoking marijuana..  Yes, it was several chances, but the latest included the man actually seeking treatment (maybe he gets it?)

Now my man Zeke   Who if he was still in College  We would all be like   That dude partys!   Well, hes not in College..  Hes an actual Star/Face/Promoter for the Multi -Billion $ NFL, which reflects positive Or negative energy thru Media..  Abuse, Head shop, decency issues, alcohol induced, violence.. 

btw  I aint gonna respond to any posts on this..  I hope I'm wrong, and he doesn't miss one game   (anything's possible)  Seriously though, I traded sweet, innocent, smart Antonio Brown for this guy, post Rookie draft last Season!  I know he recorded the Coach, in the locker room, after everyone was instructed cameras off..  But he was doing it for his Fans!  He wasn't looking for another sub or some Pub..  Honestly, that's the only bad I now of about Brown..

Whats Zeke doin laughing, when Jerry says: I need you to stay out of trouble!   I know folks have had to have warned him about his potential dire situation w/ increased issues.. The guys Agent must Quit like now, because I know he failed the kid.  IF for nothing else, because he hasnt made a statement on the Club..  Guess what folks,  I'm not so sure this is just gonna blow over..  Yeah, I know Overreaction..  Again look at the WR(s) in the past..   I'm not so sure the younger folks even think poorly of the effected WR's..  Now Zeke on the other hand..  Zeke may actually be in store for some unwanted attention..  Womens lib may choose to Eat!

What happened in Sunday is a separate incident and generally, NFL waits for due process when it can.  And the extended nature of this investigation while portending a 'where there's smoke there's fire' vibe, nobody seemingly has uncovered a smoking gun in all this time.

Elliott gets a 1-to-1 sit down with/talking to from Goodell with some fairly straight forward cause and effect language.

For a quick pulse on what some Twitter people are thinking, I threw out this poll. It's a few hundred people but it gives a snapshot of what folks are thinking. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/887055785582374913

Marcus Mosher‏Verified account @Marcus_Mosher

I would grab Darren McFadden in the 6th/7th round of your fantasy leagues.

Anything less then 4 should move his value very little if you think this is a situation where maybe you get him cheap. Bell was off the board mid-2nd and that was a bargain last year. If I'm drafting in the second half of the draft order, I'll happily take Zeke and worrying about filling in his off weeks later. 

thank you for the link..  That said, I read the whole page..   

ugh,,  Now, I cant see not keeping Josh Gordon..  I was finally gonna part ways..  LOL   fyi: Link says a chance Gordon is reinstated in Aug (in so many words)
Last I saw, Gordon could reapply in September. Over the years, the league has taken two months to make a determination on his status. I do not believe Gordon currently has an agent, so who knows how well he can stay in top of things. 

If the same timeline holds, best case Gordon might get reinstated in November, with no training camp or practice in essentially a year plus. 

I don't see him making much of an impact this year even if he does get reinstated. 

4 now, and 6 later (possibly next year) after the latest incident is investigated since if he did indeed did knock the guy out himself this weekends punch will probably be treated as a separate incident.

My guess, Zeke pays a visit to Goddell's office. If he is sincerely cobtrite he may get a hand slap of 1 game as a straighten up and fly right warning. Per the link Joe posted, this line stood out:

"According to a TMZ report, the police spoke with four witnesses, who all claimed they didn't see any assault, including one witness who was supposedly in a car with Elliott and the woman, when one of the incidents supposidly took place."

I have not been following this story, my question, have any witness' validated the women's side of the story? If not, seem like people are pinning guilt on Elliot prematurely. 

Last I saw, Gordon could reapply in September. Over the years, the league has taken two months to make a determination on his status. I do not believe Gordon currently has an agent, so who knows how well he can stay in top of things. 

If the same timeline holds, best case Gordon might get reinstated in November, with no training camp or practice in essentially a year plus. 

I don't see him making much of an impact this year even if he does get reinstated. 

I could be misremembering, but I thought he was conditionally reinstated almost immediately when he was eligible to apply last July after his initial rejection. If he has kept clean and followed all the steps outlined in May (nothing I am betting on, of course), I could see it playing out the same way.

Anyway, Zeke is an idiot. I voted 3-4 games, but nothing would surprise me here. I would still take him around the middle of the first in redraft right now, and I am not discounting him in dynasty.

I could be misremembering, but I thought he was conditionally reinstated almost immediately when he was eligible to apply last July after his initial rejection. If he has kept clean and followed all the steps outlined in May (nothing I am betting on, of course), I could see it playing out the same way.

Anyway, Zeke is an idiot. I voted 3-4 games, but nothing would surprise me here. I would still take him around the middle of the first in redraft right now, and I am not discounting him in dynasty.
Not to continue to muddy the waters with Gordon talk in an Elliott thread, but here are the timelines on JG's attempts to be reinstated.

01-20-2016 - Applied for reinstatement
04-12-2016 - NFL required additional proof of sobriety
07-25-2016 - Given provisional reinstatement with additional 4 game suspension (later checked into rehab and remained suspended indefinitely)

03-01-2017 - Applied for reinstatement
05-11-2017 - Denied reinstatement. Some reports say he will be allowed to re-apply "in the fall," others say "in September."

If that wording is accurate ("allowed to re-apply for reinstatement"), IMO that means they will have to start the review process all over again (which for Gordon and other players has usually been 2 months or longer). Maybe the media really means that there are provisions or already limited defined requirements for him to be reinstated like last time. Maybe the league will only review limited areas of concern and he won't need a full review again, but that's not how I interpreted it.

I haven't seen that Gordon has hired another agent, I haven't seen anything where he's been working out or practicing with anyone, and it seems to me that training camp would be over and the regular season under way by the time we hear anything about Gordon's possible reinstatement again. Taking the best case scenario and the league grants him eligibility to play, I have a hard time seeing him being fantasy relevant at any point this season.

Last time he came back mid-season (2014), he ranked as the #47 fantasy WR in PPR leagues in the 5 weeks he played in. Now it's three years later, so who knows what to expect having been away for that long.

Zeke is on a really bad path.  The domestic incident and a number of traffic violations (including a suspended license and a wreck that injured another driver) date back to his college days, he was seen visiting a pot store last preseason, pulled a girl's shirt down in March, received a misdemeanor for driving 100 mph, was involved in multiple car crashes this off-season and was allegedly involved in a bar altercation last week.  I really think the League would be doing Zeke an injustice if they did not suspend him.  He needs some discipline to help him get onto the right path.  That said, I expect a suspension to be no more than 2 games.

His talent is undeniable, and he plays in an offense which will make the most of his abilities; however, Zeke may be a dynasty sell.  All the talent in the world could net you zero points if he doesn't get his life on the right path.  Zeke's reckless immaturity sends the resounding message that he is not committed to being a professional.

I'm thinking 4, Reduced down to 3.  Unfortunately I'm not sure that's going to get his attention... the kid is gifted but seems very immature. 

My question is:  If this is going to happen, when??  Next week? Right before Week 1?
Your guess is as good as anybodies.  IMO he has a history of making hasty decisions to try and avoid PR backlash. That has, in turn, created PR backlash about him. 

I doubt this would come down right before week 1... that seems kind of silly. Goodell seems to take care of these suspensions fairly quickly following these instances when they happen. I'm guessing his gauging the negative fall out

I am curious to see what @Pwingles thinks. In the Mixon punch thread he made a comment on page 10 regarding that there is no difference between hitting a man or a woman, and either of those instances should result in the athlete being "Ray Riced." Ray Rice's, Mixon's, and Elliot's punch have a lot in common with the obvious exception for the gender of the victim. 

Ray Rice got a year suspension and was blackballed by the league

Mixon was suspended for a year in college

Elliot... we will see

That being said, there may be people who honestly think he should get suspended for 11+ games. Based on the precedent set when hitting women, it could earn one a year suspension if we are considering all episodes of assault "gender neutral"
FWIW I hold the opinion a grown man hitting a woman is much more egregious than a grown man hitting a grown man

I am curious to see what @Pwingles thinks. In the Mixon punch thread he made a comment on page 10 regarding that there is no difference between hitting a man or a woman, and either of those instances should result in the athlete being "Ray Riced." Ray Rice's, Mixon's, and Elliot's punch have a lot in common with the obvious exception for the gender of the victim. 

Ray Rice got a year suspension and was blackballed by the league

Mixon was suspended for a year in college

Elliot... we will see

That being said, there may be people who honestly think he should get suspended for 11+ games. Based on the precedent set when hitting women, it could earn one a year suspension if we are considering all episodes of assault "gender neutral"
FWIW I hold the opinion a grown man hitting a woman is much more egregious than a grown man hitting a grown man
meh, misquoted a bit, but basically yeah. The point I was making there is that if he had punched a man, he would have "character" or "maturity" issues and it would be written off as a man being dumb in the heat of the moment, as opposed to scum of the earth woman beater. Its weird to me that people think that way, but its very prevalent.

If he indeed is guilty of assault, I feel like the league should take action. It would be nice if the league was consistent on these things in terms of what the punishments would be, but with these assaults (general assaults involving NFL players, i mean) there is usually much to take into consideration, and so I understand the subjectivity and need to investigate. I believe in due process, so it doesnt bother me that maybe punishment is delayed in some cases to ensure that the accused is able to defend themselves and tell their side. Ultimately though, if they did something wrong, they should be subject to punishment from the NFL as well as the legal system.

Voted 0.  I haven't been following that close but don't seem to see the public outrage that has followed other cases

Almost like NFL leaking possible suspension lengths to see if the court of public opinion will buy it

meh, misquoted a bit, but basically yeah. The point I was making there is that if he had punched a man, he would have "character" or "maturity" issues and it would be written off as a man being dumb in the heat of the moment, as opposed to scum of the earth woman beater. Its weird to me that people think that way, but its very prevalent.

If he indeed is guilty of assault, I feel like the league should take action. It would be nice if the league was consistent on these things in terms of what the punishments would be, but with these assaults (general assaults involving NFL players, i mean) there is usually much to take into consideration, and so I understand the subjectivity and need to investigate. I believe in due process, so it doesnt bother me that maybe punishment is delayed in some cases to ensure that the accused is able to defend themselves and tell their side. Ultimately though, if they did something wrong, they should be subject to punishment from the NFL as well as the legal system.
Sorry if I misrepresented, I didn't want to dig up quotes about a different player and try to apply them to this scenario. I agree 100% with the bolded. That's the problem is we just don't know because there is no standard. I was about to post if anyone has any previous examples within the last 2 years of this and how the NFL reacted, but I'm not sure. The most recent stuff has been woman/child stuff, and then before that Pacman making it rain. 

You make another good point by saying there are a lot of circumstances to look at as well. I agree. 

Yes, punching someone makes you a pretty big dirt bag regardless of the gender of the victim. I am curious to see how people approach this, as if to say he has maturity issues rather than to say he is a loser who deserves every bit of a hit to his wallet that this brings him (assuming the alleged assault is true). While I do think hitting a woman is different than hitting a man, both make you a loser IMO... just one more than the other

Joe Bryant said:

I think 3-4. Okay maybe I am hoping that. Would love to sneak and grab him in the late 2nd. Pair that up with Terrance West who is filling in at BAL for the first 4 games and you have a real nice value situation, and a complete beast of a team the last 2/3 of the year.

I think 3-4. Okay maybe I am hoping that. Would love to sneak and grab him in the late 2nd. Pair that up with Terrance West who is filling in at BAL for the first 4 games and you have a real nice value situation, and a complete beast of a team the last 2/3 of the year.
I did this with Bell last year. I didn't grab him late 2nd but 1.10 in a 12 team league. I went 1-3 the first 4 weeks (Also had Brady who sat the first 3). Went on to win it all... I don't think Zeke will slip to 1.12 even with a 4 game suspension. 6-8 sure but I am not so sure I see that kind of a suspension coming down. I really do think 4 games appealed to 3. 

What happens if it comes out that he never hit the guy, in fact he was just standing there when the belligerent drunk that was mouthing got popped by the guy standing beside Zeke? Do we still hope for 4 game suspension because he was in a bar? If so, we are gonna lose a lot of players this year.

Why do I have a feeling that both Elliot and the Cowboy’s as a whole will take a step back this season?

What happens if it comes out that he never hit the guy, in fact he was just standing there when the belligerent drunk that was mouthing got popped by the guy standing beside Zeke? Do we still hope for 4 game suspension because he was in a bar? If so, we are gonna lose a lot of players this year.
Is ongoing physical abuse of a girlfriend culminating in allegedly throwing her across the room, getting choked, etc.... and getting arrested for domestic violence worth a 4 game suspension to you? Longer ala ray rice? 

Does it matter to you that there is a pattern of legal issues surrounding Elliott, increasing in severity?

Or are you willing to look the other way as he beats women, as long as he's a 1600yd back on Sunday? 

The suspension talk started before the news of the bar fight.  The suspension has more to do with his past history and mostly the domestic abuse claims.

Users who are viewing this thread