Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anarchy99

2017 Anarchy League 6 Thread

114 posts in this topic

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I will admit with how the rules are in this league the QB position is one that will guarantee some scoring no matter what.  It may not always be positive but there will be a score every week.  Just like a team defense.

After talking about this I'm curious why it isn't treated as team kicker like the QB and defense position is?  Seems like it would make a lot of sense.

Because having individual QB's would kill an Anarchy team if the starter got hurt. Having individual kickers dramatically changes draft strategy. I would almost rather have no kickers at all than having TMPK's.

Just now, Anarchy99 said:

Because having individual QB's would kill an Anarchy team if the starter got hurt. Having individual kickers dramatically changes draft strategy. I would almost rather have no kickers at all than having TMPK's.

I'd be fine with no kickers and I bet most others would too.  It just seemed to make perfect sense to have team kickers since there can only be one kicker starting on a team yet a team may use more than one, just like the QB position.

IIRC in league two which Anarcy won, I was very close to winning as well going into the playoffs.

However I was taking zero at kicker and some other spots, and David was loaded with Patriots players who got extra points from playoffs as being two of the main difference makers between winning the league and taking second place.

It matters.

Having to do the kicker dance is a subtle yet major part of these leagues...it would be too easy to not do them or do teamPK....that dance is actually one of the things that separates us to a certain extent without us even being able to see/realize it....we may not go back and figure it out....but how many of us would have loved to go a different direction when we pulled the trigger on a PK....?...yeah me too...every time...it sucks to pass on a guy that could really help you at RB/WR/TE cause you feel the need to take a PK cause you don't want to be scouring the web to try and figure out who has the leg up in a PK competition this time of year...and then maybe be wrong and take the donut.....IMO the kicker dance is an essential part of these leagues and a little test of the size of your stones..

Edited by Stinkin Ref
3 people like this

On 8/4/2017 at 4:18 PM, Anarchy99 said:

The point is, losing a kicker to injury is way different than starting the season with a zero all season because you picked the wrong guy on the 32nd PK pick because you didn't want to burn an earlier pick on one.

That's the point I was trying to make, in a nutshell.

Anyone can lose anyone to injury in preseason, and yeah, it sucks, and yeah, unless you hit it out of the park everywhere else you can basically wave the white flag on a title at that point. But that's worlds different from choosing to wait until rounds 16 or 17 to take a PK knowing that there's a significant risk of voluntarily taking a zero, without reducing your injury risk anywhere else.

Even the much-maligned, couldn't-hit-the-broad-side-of-a-barn-door Roberto Aguayo put up 106 points last year. Adam Thielen (WR32) scored 197 points; Albert Wilson (WR87) scored 90. If you held your nose and reached a round on Aguayo instead of a camp cut like Travis Coons, you basically swapped a warm body for a low-end WR2. Not a bad tradeoff.

My favorite twist is when the older guy in a camp competition gets cut, and the another team picks him up and puts on the street a mid-level guy who had no camp competition.

59 minutes ago, Go DC Yourself said:

My favorite twist is when the older guy in a camp competition gets cut, and the another team picks him up and puts on the street a mid-level guy who had no camp competition.

Yep.

Robbie Gould who I thought was a lock as one of the highest paid kickers and solid career with the Bears at that point was cut for salary cap reasons, on a team that was going no where and didn't really have cap issues.

It took awhile but he finally landed on another team.

Trying to predict stuff like this pretty near impossible.

1 minute ago, Biabreakable said:

Yep.

Robbie Gould who I thought was a lock as one of the highest paid kickers and solid career with the Bears at that point was cut for salary cap reasons, on a team that was going no where and didn't really have cap issues.

It took awhile but he finally landed on another team.

Trying to predict stuff like this pretty near impossible.

Didn't he end up on the Giants last year? Now on the Niners?

The cutting vets to save money model doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Look at the Jets this year. They got rid of almost all their play makers and are still $18 million under the cap. I guess it makes sense in being able to roll that money over if (when) they don't use it. But they now have $17 million in dead cap money because of all their cuts.

I get that it gets kids and draft picks playing time, but if the team is terrible how does that play into a player's growth and development?

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

Didn't he end up on the Giants last year? Now on the Niners?

The cutting vets to save money model doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Look at the Jets this year. They got rid of almost all their play makers and are still $18 million under the cap. I guess it makes sense in being able to roll that money over if (when) they don't use it. But they now have $17 million in dead cap money because of all their cuts.

I get that it gets kids and draft picks playing time, but if the team is terrible how does that play into a player's growth and development?

Yeah I think the Giants after their kicker got into some off the field trouble.

I tried to use some logic that teams paying a lot for kickers are doing so because they want consistency from that position, thus why I thought Gould was a solid bet to be the kicker for his team.

Nope.

The Bears were in rebuild with Fox as the coach and they cut Gould to save something like $2 million which really wasn't going to make a difference either way as far as their cap outlook. It still doesn't make sense to me.

I have given up trying to apply logic to this and just draft them earlier and hope that works out.

I drafted Gould last year and took zeros from him for the fist 6 weeks until he landed on the Giants.

For those talking about the risks in taking a kicker late because those kickers may not make the roster, can't the same be said for all players being taken in the later rounds.  A lot of these rookies and depth players are big risks to get very little playing time or just get cut.  No different than a kicker.

Just now, Biabreakable said:

Yeah I think the Giants after their kicker got into some off the field trouble.

I tried to use some logic that teams paying a lot for kickers are doing so because they want consistency from that position, thus why I thought Gould was a solid bet to be the kicker for his team.

Nope.

The Bears were in rebuild with Fox as the coach and they cut Gould to save something like $2 million which really wasn't going to make a difference either way as far as their cap outlook. It still doesn't make sense to me.

I have given up trying to apply logic to this and just draft them earlier and hope that works out.

I believe that Gould was one of the highest paid kicker in the NFL, if not the highest overall.  He had a bad season the year before and had been on a decline so they cut him to save money.

I drafted Gould last year and took zeros from him for the fist 6 weeks until he landed on the Giants.

For those talking about the risks in taking a kicker late because those kickers may not make the roster, can't the same be said for all players being taken in the later rounds.  A lot of these rookies and depth players are big risks to get very little playing time or just get cut.  No different than a kicker.

IMO, any late round pick is risky and probably won't score a ton. Which is why I generally play it safe and take guys that should score a moderate amount but probably won't be a stud or a total bust.

As far as taking QB's early or late, I think either is a viable strategy as long as the early ones are proven high scorers and not wannabe high scorers. IMO, after the Top 5, the net group of 15 QB's are pretty close. I would be happy to wait it out and take the leftovers in the later rounds. Waiting until near the end isn't a horrible idea as you are guaranteed points, but you can end up getting way behind in QB scoring if you get some of the lower scoring TMQB's.

Defenses are a little different. The scoring from DEF1 vs. DEF2 is nowhere near as great as with QB's. I still wouldn't want one of the bottom few defenses, and defensive scoring from year to year seems to fluctuate quite a bit.

Even this year some people are going to end up losing out on kicker points, because in some of the leagues two kickers were drafted from the same team. That's why you have to try to get more of a sure thing. Even bigger names can get cut, but usually a bigger name has a better chance of getting added somewhere else.

Everyone has different strategies, and mine usually is to try get points in every spot every week.

In League 6 last year, the good pick ups in Rounds 17 and 18 were SF QB, Tyrell Williams, Brandon LaFell, Kenny Stills, and Nick Novak. On the flip side, Karlos Williams (0), Travis Coons (0), Darren McFadden (10.40), Jonathan Williams (15.40), and Braxton Miller (30.90) were basically throwaways.

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I believe that Gould was one of the highest paid kicker in the NFL, if not the highest overall.  He had a bad season the year before and had been on a decline so they cut him to save money.

He was top 5 as far as kicker salaries at the time I was reading this.

Not being a Bears fan I didn't know that they viewed his play as being in decline. Gould had done well for me on fantasy teams in the past and I drafted him pretty late when most of the other options were gone (and looked more risky than Gould to me at the time).

I am not sure saving the money made any difference for the Bears. I recall some Bears fans being unhappy about the decision right after it happened.

1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

IMO, any late round pick is risky and probably won't score a ton. Which is why I generally play it safe and take guys that should score a moderate amount but probably won't be a stud or a total bust.

As far as taking QB's early or late, I think either is a viable strategy as long as the early ones are proven high scorers and not wannabe high scorers. IMO, after the Top 5, the net group of 15 QB's are pretty close. I would be happy to wait it out and take the leftovers in the later rounds. Waiting until near the end isn't a horrible idea as you are guaranteed points, but you can end up getting way behind in QB scoring if you get some of the lower scoring TMQB's.

Defenses are a little different. The scoring from DEF1 vs. DEF2 is nowhere near as great as with QB's. I still wouldn't want one of the bottom few defenses, and defensive scoring from year to year seems to fluctuate quite a bit.

Even this year some people are going to end up losing out on kicker points, because in some of the leagues two kickers were drafted from the same team. That's why you have to try to get more of a sure thing. Even bigger names can get cut, but usually a bigger name has a better chance of getting added somewhere else.

Everyone has different strategies, and mine usually is to try get points in every spot every week.

In League 6 last year, the good pick ups in Rounds 17 and 18 were SF QB, Tyrell Williams, Brandon LaFell, Kenny Stills, and Nick Novak. On the flip side, Karlos Williams (0), Travis Coons (0), Darren McFadden (10.40), Jonathan Williams (15.40), and Braxton Miller (30.90) were basically throwaways.

LOL  Karlos Williams was my pick.  That one hurt.

Just now, Biabreakable said:

He was top 5 as far as kicker salaries at the time I was reading this.

Not being a Bears fan I didn't know that they viewed his play as being in decline. Gould had done well for me on fantasy teams in the past and I drafted him pretty late when most of the other options were gone (and looked more risky than Gould to me at the time).

I am not sure saving the money made any difference for the Bears. I recall some Bears fans being unhappy about the decision right after it happened.

Bear's fans were very upset with him and wanted him replaced.  I still liked him and was fine with him but he his production was not meeting his salary anymore.  The year before he had one of his worst years in accuracy and missed three very big FGs.  I think all three FGs directly led to them losing.

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Yes definitely the same is true for late picks at other positions except for QB and defense.

One perspective on this would be to wait on drafting a kickers so you can fill other positions such as RB/TE/WR with earlier picks that should be safer bets to produce points for you. In a league where you can pick up kickers off waivers, that makes a lot of sense.

As this isn't an option in these leagues, I have decided to try to draft the kickers a bit earlier and hopefully not take the zero from them being cut just before the season. This year I see about 15 teams where this could happen. There is a bit more turnover at the kicker position right now than I recall there being in the past.

The kicker position is so independent from the rest of the team that salaries shouldn't really be related to the cap. The teams who actually pay their kickers a lot of money are teams who are prioritizing that position for the kickers consistency. 

Vinaterri of the Patriots for example was over paid by the Colts because he was a difference maker for the Pats vs. the Colts in the playoffs for a few year there before Peyton left. They still pay him a ton. Hasn't pushed them over the edge at all in the playoffs though.

The Ravens prioritize kicker play more than other teams and pay for it.

The Raiders used a 1st round pick on Janikowski and he has been there kicker forever.

I dunno the reasoning of money just doesn't seem to apply to these other highly paid kickers, so I am not sure why it did with Gould. My logic of a kicker being paid highly means job security for that kicker does seem to apply to these other examples though.

8 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Yes definitely the same is true for late picks at other positions except for QB and defense.

One perspective on this would be to wait on drafting a kickers so you can fill other positions such as RB/TE/WR with earlier picks that should be safer bets to produce points for you. In a league where you can pick up kickers off waivers, that makes a lot of sense.

As this isn't an option in these leagues, I have decided to try to draft the kickers a bit earlier and hopefully not take the zero from them being cut just before the season. This year I see about 15 teams where this could happen. There is a bit more turnover at the kicker position right now than I recall there being in the past.

The kicker position is so independent from the rest of the team that salaries shouldn't really be related to the cap. The teams who actually pay their kickers a lot of money are teams who are prioritizing that position for the kickers consistency. 

Vinaterri of the Patriots for example was over paid by the Colts because he was a difference maker for the Pats vs. the Colts in the playoffs for a few year there before Peyton left. They still pay him a ton. Hasn't pushed them over the edge at all in the playoffs though.

The Ravens prioritize kicker play more than other teams and pay for it.

The Raiders used a 1st round pick on Janikowski and he has been there kicker forever.

I dunno the reasoning of money just doesn't seem to apply to these other highly paid kickers, so I am not sure why it did with Gould. My logic of a kicker being paid highly means job security for that kicker does seem to apply to these other examples though.

I'm not sure how much of an issue it was with money but I know there was a problem with his performance.  Kickers only have one job and once they stop performing well they get dropped to find someone who can.  Gould lost them about three games and it seemed his performance was on the decline so they moved on from him.  Not a huge surprise.

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm not sure how much of an issue it was with money but I know there was a problem with his performance.  Kickers only have one job and once they stop performing well they get dropped to find someone who can.  Gould lost them about three games and it seemed his performance was on the decline so they moved on from him.  Not a huge surprise.

Only a surprise for me I guess. There was a reason he was available for me later in the draft. I just wasn't aware of it.

The cut was because of how he was performing as you said, not because of the salary.

7 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Only a surprise for me I guess. There was a reason he was available for me later in the draft. I just wasn't aware of it.

The cut was because of how he was performing as you said, not because of the salary.

I think salary had some to do with it too.  If he had like a league minimum contract I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him.  I can't imagine that they actually felt that Barth was the better overall kicker.

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Does Jason Wood need a nudge?

You have the power to nudge him, too.

10 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

You have the power to nudge him, too.

Email?

Email?

You can try to PM him. I will try to email him.

29 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Is @Ben & Jerry's picking a 6th WR because Enunwa is out for the year?  Pretty sure we're only allowed 5 WRs.

Yeah he can have 6 WR by filling the flex with a WR but he already has 5 RB as well so the flex spot is already spoken for.

@Anarchy99 sorry about that, we have an invalid roster. 

3 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Yeah he can have 6 WR by filling the flex with a WR but he already has 5 RB as well so the flex spot is already spoken for.

@Anarchy99 sorry about that, we have an invalid roster. 

Yup.  That's what it is.  I new something was wrong.

So with 16 of my 18 picks in the books, I've drafted 0 of my required 2 DSTs.

This ought to end well.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:22 PM, Mr. Irrelevant said:

So with 16 of my 18 picks in the books, I've drafted 0 of my required 2 DSTs.

This ought to end well.

Not a bad strategy.

You have to sacrifice something in these things no matter what you do. Taking a weakness at a guaranteed position likely better than taking back ups to back ups with those last picks.

One thing I think I will regret is not drafting Rams QB before Grigs Allmoon did. I definitely considered doing this but I still had a few defense projected for more points than any of the QB left there, so I didn't.

Now that Watkins was traded to the Rams, I wish I would have done it when I could have. I mostly just didn't want to end up with the Jets QB at that point.

This league is going to have an interesting finish...

So as much smack as I talked about being able to get more of the players I wanted in this league than league two, maybe having to settle for other players is better for me, because I am doing a lot better in league two than I did here. I am just barely outscoring the field here in league 6 with my score in league two.

Nick Novak barely putting up any points is the main thorn in my side here. But there were many other blunders as well.

Dalvin Cooks early exit did not help.