What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone hang out in the Sierra Nevadas? Update: Orange County blows (1 Viewer)

flapgreen

Footballguy
It's a beautiful place. Wife is from out here and we come back out every couple  years. I've spent a lot of time here and in Death Valley.  Just got back from Bishop and the Bristlecone Pine Forest today. Headed out to Death Valley tomorrow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been all over the Sierra pretty much every summer of my life (spring fall winter to a lesser extent). Tahoe is my usual destination these days, but everything between Lone Pine and there I know well. I'd avoid Death Valley this time of year. It's brutal. If you've never seen it, then enjoy it from the comfort of an air conditioned vehicle on your way to Vegas. Though Darwin Falls (on your route via Bishop) is having it's most scenic summer in decades with all the rainfall. You will swim if you make the hike - just to cool down. 110 out here today and I'm generally 10 degrees cooler than DV. Predicting 117 tomorrow. Oof. A great substitute trip would be Onion Valley out of Independence. Comfortable weather, great trails, incredible scenery. Or Hike Convict Lake above Crowley. Or do the Whitney Portals, always a winner and midweek is best. Think altitude, highest in the lower 48 (Whitney), not lowest (Death Valley). Head west up the eastern slope. Just my thinking. This or this. Enjoy whatever you get into and say hey to the cuties in the Looney Bean if you want some good coffee. The Copper Kettle (oddly voted by yelp as best restaurant in the country awhile back) is nearby and fantastic. If you head north the Whoa Nelly Deli where Tioga Pass meets the 395 is shockingly good. 

It's singular, chief. ;)

Spent more time up north, but yeah... Beautiful stuff up and down. Until you get to the Nevada side, because Nevada is terrible. 

Runners World just had an article on some great areas for trail running, and they talked about Bishop.  I returned a few weeks ago from assisting @SFBayDuck in his successful effort to complete the 100 mile Western States Endurance Run.  It started in Squaw Valley, climbed higher (into the snowy mountains), then descended down into the 100+ degree canyons before finishing in Auburn.  First time I've seen it, but love that whole area.

Awwww, man - i loved my dozen years in Reno as much for it being such a great town to get out of as the gambling & 24hr lifestyle. Pyramid Lake, Emerald Bay & Shakespeare @ Sand Harbor up in Tahoe; fishing Hot Creek or the East Walker; the monthly summer nights the Flamingo staff would rent a house on the 5th fairway of Plumas Pines Golf Course for our preferred customers, play a round there, BBQ, a few hours gettin loaded & playing silly homegames, then some night golf/balldiving, back to the house for serious consumables & hi-stakes cards all night then another round in the morning before heading back to town; or just grabbing a tube & a sixpack and floating in Upper Sardine looking out on Sierra Butte in total enthrall. Dang i miss them hills....

Drove up through Route 6 and down through Death Valley one day. Now headed to Orange County fair and the beach. 

Considering hiking telescope later this year. Worth it?
Definitely. I've been close but not hiked to the top.  Some of my wife's family has, though. I think you can see the highest and lowest point in the lower 48 from there, Mt Whitney and Badwater.  Make it a lot later this year.  Very hot.  Ballarat isn't far from there.  You can start at the base if you have a Razr and go up to Mason's old hideout.  It's amazing up there.  We saw a big family of Bighorn sheep not too far from Telescope a few years ago. 

Definitely. I've been close but not hiked to the top.  Some of my wife's family has, though. I think you can see the highest and lowest point in the lower 48 from there, Mt Whitney and Badwater.  Make it a lot later this year.  Very hot.  Ballarat isn't far from there.  You can start at the base if you have a Razr and go up to Mason's old hideout.  It's amazing up there.  We saw a big family of Bighorn sheep not too far from Telescope a few years ago. 
Do you mean RZR or a flip phone?

Awwww, man - i loved my dozen years in Reno as much for it being such a great town to get out of as the gambling & 24hr lifestyle. Pyramid Lake, Emerald Bay & Shakespeare @ Sand Harbor up in Tahoe; fishing Hot Creek or the East Walker; the monthly summer nights the Flamingo staff would rent a house on the 5th fairway of Plumas Pines Golf Course for our preferred customers, play a round there, BBQ, a few hours gettin loaded & playing silly homegames, then some night golf/balldiving, back to the house for serious consumables & hi-stakes cards all night then another round in the morning before heading back to town; or just grabbing a tube & a sixpack and floating in Upper Sardine looking out on Sierra Butte in total enthrall. Dang i miss them hills....
Just Googled. That view is ridicules. I need to go. Problem is all my family wants to do is go to Disney and crowded beaches.  :kicksrock:

Upper Sardine looking out on Sierra Butte 

Drove up through Route 6 and down through Death Valley one day. Now headed to Orange County fair and the beach. 
Driving through OC always sucks, but Friday afternoon is the double suck.  But if you need to be stuck in OC traffic,  Pacific Coast Highway in Laguna would be my choice.  Highly recommend you check out the ballers and womenz at Main Beach.

If you make it to the OC Fair, and see a band of old guys playing some rock-n-roll, my dad's the drummer.   

Just Googled. That view is ridicules. I need to go. Problem is all my family wants to do is go to Disney and crowded beaches.  :kicksrock:

yeah, boyeeeee! and, from what i hear, the world hasn't really discovered it yet. it's still a privately-owned, undeveloped, amateurly-run campground.

thing i like best about the seam between the Great Basin & Sierra Nevada where Reno sits is that Sardine & this out at Pyramid are like an hour apart

yeah, boyeeeee! and, from what i hear, the world hasn't really discovered it yet. it's still a privately-owned, undeveloped, amateurly-run campground.

thing i like best about the seam between the Great Basin & Sierra Nevada where Reno sits is that Sardine & this out at Pyramid are like an hour apart
dammit... I miss the sierra.

Ugh. Driving anywhere near Orange county is a nightmare. This place is a total ####hole. 
Hope you have your straight billed hat and monster truck handy.  OC is terrible, beautiful beaches though.  Don't try to go anywhere from 6 am until 12 pm and then from 3 pm until 8 pm and you will be fine.  

Got a project there now... Hwy 217 bridge leading to east side of UCSB campus.
What's your job?

Gaucho here.  Got a speeding ticket on that damn stretch going from pre-graduation brunch back to my apartment.  *******.

Hope you have your straight billed hat and monster truck handy.  OC is terrible, beautiful beaches though.  Don't try to go anywhere from 6 am until 12 pm and then from 3 pm until 8 pm and you will be fine.  
:lol:  First of all, it's "flat-billed".  Second, and most importantly, 90% of the flat-billed, inked-up, monster truck drivers are "just visiting" from the 909/951.  

Traffic does suck though.  Had a 10am in downtown LA today and opted for the train.  Much better. :)

Also -- hope you enjoyed the fair.  I grew up literally across the street; parents still live there.  We go a couple times every summer.  The food (and beer) is expensive but definitely good in terms of "fair food".  Ranges from "fried anything" to those massive, Game of Thrones style turkey legs, to well... more "fried anything".  Always good music there.  Wish I could go to the reggae-fest they got goin on tonight.  

nirad3 said:
What's your job?

Gaucho here.  Got a speeding ticket on that damn stretch going from pre-graduation brunch back to my apartment.  *******.

:lol:  First of all, it's "flat-billed".  Second, and most importantly, 90% of the flat-billed, inked-up, monster truck drivers are "just visiting" from the 909/951.  

Traffic does suck though.  Had a 10am in downtown LA today and opted for the train.  Much better. :)

Also -- hope you enjoyed the fair.  I grew up literally across the street; parents still live there.  We go a couple times every summer.  The food (and beer) is expensive but definitely good in terms of "fair food".  Ranges from "fried anything" to those massive, Game of Thrones style turkey legs, to well... more "fried anything".  Always good music there.  Wish I could go to the reggae-fest they got goin on tonight.  
Had a blast. The acrobatic and circus acts were really good. Kids had a blast. Best fair we've been to.  Stayed in Lake Forest and went to the Spectrum last night. Really cool place. 

Buttonhook said:
Driving through OC always sucks, but Friday afternoon is the double suck.  But if you need to be stuck in OC traffic,  Pacific Coast Highway in Laguna would be my choice.  Highly recommend you check out the ballers and womenz at Main Beach.

If you make it to the OC Fair, and see a band of old guys playing some rock-n-roll, my dad's the drummer.   
Saw an Eagles cover band playing. That him? 

Hung out at Laguna Beach at the park and Main Beach all day yesterday. What a beautiful place. Had a great couple days on the coast. 

Users who are viewing this thread