What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would it take for you to trade a top 10 dynasty player? (1 Viewer)

Tornacl

Footballguy
What would it take for you to trade a top 10 dynasty player? 

I know there are too many different specifics to consider a one-size-fits-all approach.  I'm not looking for, nor do I want to get into, specific player rankings.  I'm more interested in a general discussion. For argument's sake, let's assume you have a team and are considering blowing it up.  Maybe you only have one proven stud on your roster, and you're miles away from being a contender in your league.  Do you have a rule of thumb in mind on what it would take for you to trade that one player away?  Type of league (PPR vs Standard scoring) and specifics really don't matter, assume that the player is top 10 for your setup.  Also assume they are still at or near peak value.

If I'm going to trade one of those guys for picks and prospects, I'm usually trying to get the equivalent of 3 solid prospects and/or first rounders (rookie picks) at least.  If I'm going to trade a proven stud for a pick or players that haven't yet demonstrated elite NFL ability maybe just glimpses, the return isn't worth the risk.  Too many "high potential" guys never come close to their projected ceiling. 

If I'm near contention, I'd be looking to add this type of player, so my asking price would be so high as to make it virtually impossible to find anyone willing to give what I'd want.

If you have to ask - you can't afford it. :D

First, another top 10 dynasty player.  Could be a RB for a WR, for example, if i think I have adequate depth to field a better team post trade.

Or, perhaps, a top 2 rookie pick (depending on the year) plus a couple later pick(s) and/or established player(s).

Otherwise, probably not moving the player unless I thought he could be the center of a rebuild (thinking Ricky Williams type haul here).  Might have to wait for the trade deadline on this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
I offered the owner of David Johnson a 1st and 2nd for 2017 & 2018 plus Jay Ajayi and he didn't budge.

Tex

IF the team only has one solid player?  WR OR RB?

One unique thing about RB's is I can sometimes find em  (matchups related type stuff)  However WR's I'm probably better off, picking up an awesome TE to play in a flex WR/TE spot.   Now I did trade Brown, before an anticipated drop (Top 5 to Top 20?), for what I believed could be ten yrs of RB1..  But ill admit, it may have been a mistake.. No clue when Big Ben retires, nor his replacement.. I had faith in Zeke though.. (I've also never owned a true Top 5 RB) 

It all goes back too so many variables..  Look at Cook who went to the Saints  It might be a whole different ball game in New England..  Its tough..  Hardest part sometimes is holding to your choice.. Why don't ya provide some specifics, maybe include a link to the Assistant Coach's forum?

That last part makes me think "careful what ya wish for"..  You may be surprised what a Fan(antic) is willing to pay.. I place a premium on OSU, Texas, and even Bama, LSU guys..  For one thing Ive probably seen em play  LOL  I mean its great to hear FBG gush on a player, but its ON like Donkey Kong when they pass the eye test!

What would it take for you to trade a top 10 dynasty player? 

I know there are too many different specifics to consider a one-size-fits-all approach.  I'm not looking for, nor do I want to get into, specific player rankings.  I'm more interested in a general discussion. For argument's sake, let's assume you have a team and are considering blowing it up.  Maybe you only have one proven stud on your roster, and you're miles away from being a contender in your league.  Do you have a rule of thumb in mind on what it would take for you to trade that one player away?  Type of league (PPR vs Standard scoring) and specifics really don't matter, assume that the player is top 10 for your setup.  Also assume they are still at or near peak value.

If I'm going to trade one of those guys for picks and prospects, I'm usually trying to get the equivalent of 3 solid prospects and/or first rounders (rookie picks) at least.  If I'm going to trade a proven stud for a pick or players that haven't yet demonstrated elite NFL ability maybe just glimpses, the return isn't worth the risk.  Too many "high potential" guys never come close to their projected ceiling. 

If I'm near contention, I'd be looking to add this type of player, so my asking price would be so high as to make it virtually impossible to find anyone willing to give what I'd want.
Pretty much where I'm at too. I briefly shopped antonio brown this spring but I wanted a younger receiver I think is close to top 10 plus something else that helped me.  Same league I won't trade mike evans unless offered an equal player like OBJ and the rest of the deal has to help.  Last October is the closest I've come to actually trading away a consensus top 10 player when I was offered  Allen, Keenan SDC WR;Beckham, Odell NYG WR;Reed, Jordan WAS TE for Brown, Antonio PIT WR;Evans, Mike TBB WR;Graham, Jimmy SEA TE. But I'm glad I didn't. 

In the past I've traded 4 first round picks for the best rb (24yo Tomlinson); alshom Jeffrey, a first and third for mike evans before last season, and before the draft in 2015 I gave cobb, kelce, and the 1.10 (he drafted yeldon, I'm pretty sure I'd have taken mariota) for antonio brown, Greg Olsen, and a 16 1st (which became myles jack but I had traded it away). A few years back (2012) I traded Josh freeman, David Wilson, Gresham and a 2nd round pick for Andrew luck. (That looks horrendous right now but at the time freeman and Wilson both looked promising)

It might be bad memory but I really don't remember ever regretting a trade I made for a top 10 player. Or a guy I considered to be a core player. So I guess my answer is a better top 10 player. 

Generally, you're never going to find someone willing to pay the price for the value of a top ten dynasty player. It's just so high, deservedly so, that in order to get the person trading away the player to budge, you'll handcuff yourself in the process. Your best chance is to do some kind of player/pick combination that involves first rounders and players that would be weekly starters for the owner trading away the top ten player.

I offered the owner of David Johnson a 1st and 2nd for 2017 & 2018 plus Jay Ajayi and he didn't budge.

Tex
Whats fair isnt what will always get the deal done. 

Some people care more about the rip than the Top 10 player, so yeah you will have to overpay. But we know how league members respond to rip trades. Makes it hard. 

I traded away Zeke back in March...

Team A gave up Elliott, Ezekiel DAL RB;Agholor, Nelson PHI WR

Team B gave up Ajayi, Jay MIA RB; Bryant, Dez DAL WR; Year 2017 Draft Pick 1.04; Year 2017 Draft Pick 2.04; Year 2017 Draft Pick 3.04

i then had the option of McCaffery or Cook at 1.04 - Since I already owned 1.05, I drafted both. ( Fournette, Davis, and Mixon went 1-3

2 years ago I traded Odell Beckham for Le'veon Bell and a top 12 pick.  Ended up drafting David Johnson, so it worked out pretty well.

Three reasons I might move a top 10 asset:

If rebuilding and that top 10 asset's window does fit me.  AB, Julio, AJG, perhaps Le'Veon or David Johnson if the team needs more than a couple of years of TLC.  That Ajayi trade above would be a snap accept for me in a rebuild and I would immediately flip Ajayi for something else because he has more long-term risk than others in his range might. 

I think I'm getting getting out at maximum price or before a decline.  DJ's price is never going to be higher.  If I can get the moon for him I'd take it.  That was an outlier type season he just had.  I think I saw a trade recently with Zeke + for DJ.  That's hard to pass up.  I was deep in negotiations to get Michael Thomas, 1.05 (OTC, Cook was target) and a 2018 1st for AB and wouldn't have hesitated had he said yes.  He kept trying to turn Thomas into Watkins and that was a non-starter for me.

I'm getting a bargain on the centerpiece coming back.  I remain pretty high on Gurley, for example, so if someone's putting Gurley in that above trade instead of Ajayi, David Johnson flies off the shelf.  I'll do the work myself of moving the picks for some immediate return.  There's going to be someone in the Dez/Jordy/Hilton range that can be gotten for two 1sts and two 2nd or less.  Worst case I grab Larry Fitz and bank the 1sts.

As was said above, the reality is that few owners actually have the capital to afford to pay the prices these premium assets need, and even fewer have the balls to do it.  So much about trading today is "winning" the trade or "not regretting" what the outcome would be.  I had one owner point blank tell me "I don't trade because I don't want to be the guy that someone else wins the league because of".  When I asked "but what about the chance you're the guy making the league winning trade?" he just replied "I'd rather not risk it".  It makes no sense to me

I've cut down to just 1 dynasty league and my only Top 10 guy is Bell. To move him I'd have to receive and offer that would net me more points than Bell can put for me. 

So for the sake of arguement, let's say Bell is a 400 point guy if he were to play all 16 games. My 3rd RB (my next best non starter) is a 200 point guy. So, I need the trade to improve my team better than that.

Example: If my WR2 and WR3 average 200 points per year then I'd need a pair of WRs that put up 300 points per year to equal things out. But they'd also have to average more FF years than Bell. Otherwise it's a wash of a trade.

IF the team only has one solid player?  WR OR RB?

One unique thing about RB's is I can sometimes find em  (matchups related type stuff)  However WR's I'm probably better off, picking up an awesome TE to play in a flex WR/TE spot.   Now I did trade Brown, before an anticipated drop (Top 5 to Top 20?), for what I believed could be ten yrs of RB1..  But ill admit, it may have been a mistake.. No clue when Big Ben retires, nor his replacement.. I had faith in Zeke though.. (I've also never owned a true Top 5 RB) 

It all goes back too so many variables..  Look at Cook who went to the Saints  It might be a whole different ball game in New England..  Its tough..  Hardest part sometimes is holding to your choice.. Why don't ya provide some specifics, maybe include a link to the Assistant Coach's forum?

That last part makes me think "careful what ya wish for"..  You may be surprised what a Fan(antic) is willing to pay.. I place a premium on OSU, Texas, and even Bama, LSU guys..  For one thing Ive probably seen em play  LOL  I mean its great to hear FBG gush on a player, but its ON like Donkey Kong when they pass the eye test!
I would have also moved Antonio for Zeke.  Top player for top player deal.   You've gotten some past value from Brown and move on to the younger player.  Also agree that finding WRs is probably easier than franchise RBs.

I traded away Zeke back in March...

Team A gave up Elliott, Ezekiel DAL RB;Agholor, Nelson PHI WR

Team B gave up Ajayi, Jay MIA RB; Bryant, Dez DAL WR; Year 2017 Draft Pick 1.04; Year 2017 Draft Pick 2.04; Year 2017 Draft Pick 3.04

i then had the option of McCaffery or Cook at 1.04 - Since I already owned 1.05, I drafted both. ( Fournette, Davis, and Mixon went 1-3
I can see the merit of either side of this trade.

Just curious, when you traded for the 1.04, who were you hoping to land?

I traded AJ Green for Melvin Gordon and Corey Coleman last month. I have been hurting at RB for the last couple of seasons and have names at WR. Beckham, K. Allen, Watkins

I have found that many owners don't have confidence in their talent evaluation to ever pull off that type of blockbuster deal.  They are more worried about looking foolish than actually making the move to win.  That is the biggest obstacle to overcome and is too big most of the time.  Typically I don't like being on the side giving up the best player in the deal because that is usually who I am targeting.  I believe I can replace the 2 dimes, 3 nickels, and a quarter part of a deal but finding that true dollar is very difficult. 

So to answer your question, for me to move a top 10 guy I need an overpayment (meaning I get a top 10 talent plus in return) but to get one I don't mind giving up picks (I don't value them as much as known quantity players) and "upside guys" for the known top 10 guy.

Dude.. Them two posts here from Borden, and Hankmoody are Killers.  One caution, that I think I could add, is to not be too hasty.  As stated toss "Gurley" in the mix, and its a done deal..   I'm not so sure, Id be so quick to wanna place a bunch of value on every big name.   I just view the Rams as dysfunctional.  Think it behooves ya to stop and take a second look at the situation..  Yeah, ya may risk the offer being pulled.. 

All that said..  Gurley's possible question at value, can be a ticket for risk-reward gain..  I'm saying its good to look at each possible player for trade talks..  But if the player(s) change, and are actually a part of the trade discussions?  Think ya wanna take a moment for observation.  For all we know, the guy may not have even hit his best offer plateau..  A guy can dream right! 

Think we go through stages on our stance about trading..  Be cautious about assuming too much trade value, in trades that ya may wanna flip..   (You don't get Lucky twice)

So much about trading today is "winning" the trade or "not regretting" what the outcome would be.  
i have made a number of deals where the other guy "won" the trade on the "is this pile of things worth that pile of things" scale.  without hesitation.  now, you can't let yourself get raked over the coals, but my priority when trading isn't "winning" the trade.  my priority is improving my team.  i mean, that's the end goal amirite?

I can see the merit of either side of this trade.

Just curious, when you traded for the 1.04, who were you hoping to land?
I was just happy to get back into the top 5 but if you put a gun to my head I was hoping Mixon would fall to me.  I was hoping for a combo of Mixon & Davis or Mixon & Cook but I'm fine with the Cook & McCaffery combo. 

And for for those folks talking about Gurley, I'm actually higher on Ajayi than I am Gurley at this point. So this was a no-brained for me. 

If i am gonna blow it up and trade a top end guy, i am gonna trade my other players first so that I am not forced to firesale my vets for pennies on the dollar once the league sees what i am doing.

If I had a team with say LeVeon Bell and not much else, I'd likely move him for something like Joe Mixon and Dalvin Cook.  I know a lot of people will say that is not enough but I am pretty comfortable with my talent evaluation of those two to make that deal.  

If I had a team with say LeVeon Bell and not much else, I'd likely move him for something like Joe Mixon and Dalvin Cook.  I know a lot of people will say that is not enough but I am pretty comfortable with my talent evaluation of those two to make that deal.  
That and if rebuilding you shouldnt be looking for the best market value deal you can make, you have to make the deals that are the best for your team starting in a year or so.  

Unless of course you get a nice market value gain that you can flip for even more future picks or current youngsters

I am actively looking to trade Bell & not getting any takers. I need at least a top tier starting RB + a top 10 WR in return.

Team A - Julio Jones and Adam Thielen

Team B - OJ Howard, Kelvin Benjamin, Devontae Booker and a 2018 first round pick

This went down just yesterday in one of my leagues.  Its a startup PPR (1.25 for TE's) drafted just after the Superbowl.  The team getting Julio has OBJ and Gronk.  I would think the pick is going to be in the back half of the first round.  That is a whole lot of faith in OJ Howard.

Team B - OJ Howard, Kelvin Benjamin, Devontae Booker and a 2018 first round pick

This went down just yesterday in one of my leagues.  Its a startup PPR (1.25 for TE's) drafted just after the Superbowl.  The team getting Julio has OBJ and Gronk.  I would think the pick is going to be in the back half of the first round.  That is a whole lot of faith in OJ Howard.
Trade rape.

Thielen has decent value in his own right.  Love Howard as a prospect but TE value is limited by supply and demand.  All my leagues start just one and there are always serviceable options.  Benjamin still unproven; Booker and a pick mean little to me... No, not for Jones or any top ten player.

Think ya need too consider lowering expectations.. I'm not certain Bell isn't looking for a huge contract.  Theres probably a bunch of teams willing to pay, that don't have anything close to Pitts OLine..  I'm just saying I doubt Zeke, DJ have much trouble outperforming, with an actual trade..

Id try to consider a top notch WR, with a startable RB..  You would still be getting the better, long term deal, but ya may find some suckers

So you need either David Johnson or Elliott, plus a top 10 WR.  Not a surprise you aren't getting any takers. 
LOL Not what I said. By top tier I simply meant a quality starter that I can auto-start every week.

I was just offered Cousins (I do need a QB & WR help. My QBs are Bradford & Goff), Ryan Mathews, Coates & Hilton for Bell. Definitely not taking it. Mathews is meh & Coates is junk

This went down just yesterday in one of my leagues.  Its a startup PPR (1.25 for TE's) drafted just after the Superbowl.  The team getting Julio has OBJ and Gronk.  I would think the pick is going to be in the back half of the first round.  That is a whole lot of faith in OJ Howard terrible trading.
fixed.

So much about trading today is "winning" the trade or "not regretting" what the outcome would be.  I had one owner point blank tell me "I don't trade because I don't want to be the guy that someone else wins the league because of".  When I asked "but what about the chance you're the guy making the league winning trade?" he just replied "I'd rather not risk it".  It makes no sense to me
This actually makes perfect sense. Psychologically speaking, the aversion to losing is much higher than the benefit of possibly winning. There's much behavioral economic research in this topic. It may not be rational, but that's how the majority behaves.

LOL Not what I said. By top tier I simply meant a quality starter that I can auto-start every week.

I was just offered Cousins (I do need a QB & WR help. My QBs are Bradford & Goff), Ryan Mathews, Coates & Hilton for Bell. Definitely not taking it. Mathews is meh & Coates is junk
Bradford isn't so bad, in some folks eyes.  Hard to say anything bad about Geoff too..  I'm not even sure if Matthews has a team (neck injury?).  I'd suggest a post in the assistants forum for a few days before trading Bell.  Right now though unless a fool owns both Carr and Evans?   I'm not sure a QB should even be in the discussion 

I am actively looking to trade Bell & not getting any takers. I need at least a top tier starting RB + a top 10 WR in return.
You might be able to get that kind of return if you play in a league WITH LeVeon Bell.

Based on reports of his contract negotiations, he considers himself a top tier starting RB + a top WR.

Users who are viewing this thread