What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Good Dynasty Trade? (1 Viewer)

fantasybears

Footballguy
I have been offered Kirk Cousins ($11) for Bortles and Cooks. 

My thoughts:  I am deep at WR and Cooks is my #1 choice to trade based on price right now.  This gives me a solid QB at a good price who comes in a #9 on fantasypros.com rankings.  All the guys before him 1-8 on their list are either $30+ in the league (tier 1 guys) or non-obtainable via trade, I've asked (other tier 2 guys).  He finished as the #6 QB in our league last season. 

What are your thoughts? 

Also, if you would take the deal, would you cut Palmer afterward as well, or keep him as a backup?  Who else (at all positions) would you cut before the auction?

Current Salary:  $243
Salary after Trade:  $222

-----

League: 12 team, $200 salary cap dynasty 0.5 PPR league, start 1QB, 1RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1D, 1K, 15min - 17max roster.

QB - Bortles ($11), Palmer ($10), Garoppolo ($3)
RB - L. Miller ($27), David Johnson ($25), L. Murray ($17), Perkins ($3)
WR - Julio ($39), Cooks ($21), Evans ($21), Allen Robinson ($15), Watkins ($11), Parker ($7)
TE - Olsen ($21), Eifert ($9)
DST - Chiefs ($3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your roster I would make that deal.  Cousins is a huge upgrade over what you have and you can afford to lose Cooks with your WR stable. 

If I am understanding your next question you are at $222 in salary and must get below $200 so you have to make some cuts.  Off the top I would say I would cut the following:

QB - Palmer (unless QB's are really hot commodities once you get Cousins you can save the $10 on Palmer and look to get a cheaper backup)

RB - Miller, Murray (I believe these guys are way overpriced so it saves you a bunch in salary that you can hopefully utilize better.  You only have to play 1 RB and Johnson is that guy so you can look for value at the RB spot in the auction)

WR - Nobody

TE - Olsen (overpriced and you don't need him with Eifert. Find a cheap backup)

Def - I don't know what defenses usually go for but I wouldn't spend $3.  I would let KC go and look for a couple $1 defenses.

That would bring you down to $144 and you give you $56 for the auction.  You should be able to get a decent backup QB, quality RB, backup TE, and two $1 defenses. 

I feel like I say this in every thread, but I agree with Gally above :)   Gally, you always get to the replies before I do!  I like that trade for you, Cousins helps a ton. 

I would try to trade Olsen if I could, I think he's pretty valuable even at $21 to just cut him.  Is there anyone in the league that has a $30 stud with very little depth?  Maybe you could package Olsen/Miller ($48) and go after a McCoy/Howard type back? If David Johnson is $25, how much is Bell, OBJ, or Brown? That would lock up your QB, RB, WR WR, and flex with very solid every-week starters.  Just feel like there should be someone out there who would give you something for Olsen...

I'm good with cutting Palmer, Murray, even Robinson if you could pull that off. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I say this in every thread, but I agree with Gally above :)   Gally, you always get to the replies before I do!  I like that trade for you, Cousins helps a ton. 

I would try to trade Olsen if I could, I think he's pretty valuable even at $21 to just cut him.  Is there anyone in the league that has a $30 stud with very little depth?  Maybe you could package Olsen/Miller ($48) and go after a McCoy/Howard type back? If David Johnson is $25, how much is Bell, OBJ, or Brown? That would lock up your QB, RB, WR WR, and flex with very solid every-week starters.  Just feel like there should be someone out there who would give you something for Olsen...

I'm good with cutting Palmer, Murray, even Robinson if you could pull that off. 
That's a good thought, I will look into it.  As for other guys, Bell is $51, McCoy is $50, Brown is $41, Gurley is $39, D. Freeman is $32, Gronk is $27, but the next highest TE is $12, so I'm not sure how much interest I can get for Olsen, but I will try.  He did finish as the #2 TE in our league this year.  I agree Miller is probably overpriced, but I probably waiver on him most when looking who to drop.  The top rookie RBs usually go around $30 or so in our league, and rookie WRs go for around $15 to $20.  I have an exceptional price for Johnson because I got him for $1 as a rookie when no one wanted him.  =)

Doing the math before I answer, just basically thinking out loud...

At 243 and have to get to 200. So have to unload 43. Murray $17 and Parker $7 are easy cuts based on your roster. 243-24= 219

I'd try to move Miller $27 and Cooks $21 and maybe Palmer $10 (or Bortles if they prefer) for an elite tier QB. That's a total of $58 dollars. Say Arod is $39 that would put you perfectly at $200. A someone my look at that and say that they are willing to take the drop from Rodgers to Palmer for the bumps up to Miller and Cooks. You can still afford to keep Bortles as a back up or you could cut him and Jimmy G and have $14 in cap space. 

My problem with the trade is that it feels like you should be able to get a better return for Cooks. You have a championship caliber team and Cousins might not be that big of an upgrade over Palmer. He lost his top two WRs, they added another RB (could run the ball more) and had franchise seems to be a mess. 

The other option that I might consider is a solid purge sort of like Gally was saying but without the trade. Cut all the QBs (24), Miller and Murray (44), Cooks and Parker (28), Olsen (21) Total of $117 in cuts. Leaving $74 for the auction and the only starter you're missing is a QB. Plus, adding those names into the FA pool cause people to burn through their budget leaving some gems behind for you. 

If you feel like this trade offer is the best you can do and don't like the idea of working the auction then I'd take Gally's advice. 

I don't have an issue with you accepting this deal, but I think you can do much better.

I agree with Borden that Cousins isn't a huge upgrade from Palmer, and I think you can get more for Cooks, who's price is fairly reasonable compared to Julio and Brown.  Plus, remember that Cousins is playing his 2nd year on the WAS franchise tag.....Cousins could be in SF next year, which is not a good spot for his future fantasy value.

If you can't get any better offers for Cooks or Miller (I think it's very unlikely you will find a taker for Olsen at 10% of the cap), I would just purge and do pretty what Borden suggests....keep D Johnson, Perkins, Julio, Evans, Robinson, Watkins and Eifert (which BTW, is a GREAT start in a 12 team league).  That is a total of $123, leaving $77 to bring to the draft to grab 8-10 players.  You spend $1 each on K and D, so you have in effect $75 to spend on 6-8 players.  I am assuming Cousins is the other owner's backup QB......Let the other owner throw Cousins back in the draft....you can get him at probably the price he's at, but the other owner will likely have to spend more than $21 to roster Cooks.  He is basically trying to upgrade to Cooks for a discounted price, since he's not going to keep Cousins as a backup QB for $11.  If he wants Cooks at $21, make him pay with his starting QB (assuming he's ranked higher than Cousins).  Otherwise, just reject the deal and bid big on your starting QB and another RB.

Also Borden's suggestion of moving Miller and Cooks for a elite QB like Brees or Brady is a good one.

This feels like just giving Cooks away. Cousins is an overrated player in my eyes. He just lost both his starting WRs, and while Pryor and Doctosn, in theory, are greater talents than Jackson and Garcon, they don't have years of rapport with Cousins and Gruden. Throw in the fact that we have no idea where Cousins will be playing next year and I can't see any argument for Cousins as more than a fringe QB1. 

Cooks should be able to net an elite QB in a 1 QB league. Like Luck or somebody like that. 

Users who are viewing this thread