What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Help - What Do You Use For Breaking News Alerts? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Guys,

Need your help here.

What do you guys use for breaking news alerts? And the key word there being "alert". 

And to be clear, what I'm talking about is a specific alert that is different than normal internet use. In other words, "Twitter" isn't what I'm looking for as many people don't have the time to stay constantly on top of Twitter. 

What I'm looking for are the guys that are using some sort of push notification or something that specifically let's them know something important has happened. 

And this is different than the Footballguys Breaking News emails. Those hopefully have a bit more detail to them. The push notification type apps usually are just a super quick blurb about what happened. With our Breaking News, we usually take a few more minutes to add what we think it means if we have an idea.

I love the Sleeperbot app and have used it for a while. If you're a Sleeperbot fan already, stay tuned as Footballguys will have our own channel there next week. 

But I'm interested in what others use. Please be as specific as you can as to what you use and how you use it. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far all I use is the Sleeperbot app.  I do have alerts set up on the ESPN app but that's only for my favorite teams.  

The Score (might just be a Canadian thing) is one that a ton of people up here use.  I used to use it until Sleeperbot came along and now I'm exclusively using that.

The Score (might just be a Canadian thing) is one that a ton of people up here use.  I used to use it until Sleeperbot came along and now I'm exclusively using that.
I also use The Score. Just select the Players, Teams. Leagues you are interested in to control the flow of what notifications you get. Can also use it to push game reminders, score updates, etc..... going to have to check out this Sleeperbot app.

Wake up - check rotoworld.

Lunchtime - check rotoworld.

Sitting on the John - check rotoworld.

About to go to bed - check rotoworld.

I follow the beat writers of every single team on twitter. I follow rough 400 NFL related people. I scroll when ever on the toilet or bored at work. Not really a service, but reading tweets are the best way for my alerts. 

Thanks @Deamon  I use sleeperbot too. How does it compare to The Score?
I haven't used The Score in a while, but like a previous poster mentioned, I think the best benefit to that is that you can hand select players/teams/sports that you WANT the info from.  I could be wrong but I think Sleeperbot just sends out everything.  It got to be so overwhelming (phone buzzing like mad all day) that I had to switch Sleeperbot to just "breaking news" rather than every little thing about an offensive lineman who scraped his arm on a fence. 

In essence if you are building your own, I would say that it would be great to have the flexibility to choose how much info comes to your phone.  Maybe some people only play one league and just want to hear about their players, or maybe just their favourite NFL team, or maybe they want everything.  That option would be nice, but Sleeperbot simply seems to be the fastest with news.

1. BreakingSports 

2. Sleeperbot 

Tex

Woman's intuition and horoscope. 

Other than that, I use google alerts for players I am invested in, those that have a history of off-field issues, or others I might be targeting.  

I get push notifications from ESPN and Yahoo.  But I may have to check out this Sleeperbot app that others are talking about.

I've found Sleeperbot to be a good resource. Otherwise Yahoo has push notifications that come up with relation to my fantasy team as well. 

One slightly off topic remark about the FBG e-mails... can we get those updated for Monday/Tuesday? Monday I'll get an e-mail in the "free" e-mail list that says "Melvin Gordon left Sunday's game with a hamstring injury. He is questionable to return." I don't think it's too much to have a little more of an update to that... maybe "he did not return and status for next week is in question" or "he returned to the game and after the coach said ____in the post game interview". Or just don't include it at all. Having what looks like "breaking news" from Sunday as your e-mail alert on Monday doesn't really seem to make any sense to me. 

I'll  throw this out there... I know you guys are just starting out the channel, but do you plan to continue to post most articles on there? There were a TON of notifications coming from the FBG channel of sleeperbot this morning.

For perspective, I subscribe to 4-5 "Channels" on there and FBG accounted for like 90% of my notifications this AM.... TBH it was getting on my nerves a bit with the constant binging. I don't want to silence FBG channel, as you guys have great info and I want to support you and stay engaged. That said if this amount of posting/alerts is standard going forward I may turn off notifications for the channel. 

Not trying to whine... Love that you guys are on there and the content has been solid. Just a perspective to consider 

Icon can ya offer some guidance ?  Right now it sounds like travel is a car.   Slower folks are idiots.  Faster ones is crazy

Is there some line that may need adjusting.   Thought ya could set it by player name?   How about specific team.   Think your really gonna have to be specific.   It's just starting now?  I'd expect huge changes.   Teasin.  I'm sure some tweaks will happen.   You may consider posting what is the cats meow

Users who are viewing this thread