What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minneapolis Chief of Police resigns in wake of shooting. (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
Janee Harteau resigns at request of Mayor.

This is a slippery slope to expect a Chief of Police to step down do to the actions of one police officer. Why not the officers Sergeant? Or the person that trained the officer during his time in the academy? Being an election year, the Mayor may be covering her own butt. 

Can we hold parents of gang members, or drunk drivers accountable? What if a soldier turns into an active shooter, should the President be held accountable? 

I'm not seeing the problem here aside from the fact outrage would be significantly lower if weren't a white woman who was shot. 

Can we hold parents of gang members, or drunk drivers accountable? What if a soldier turns into an active shooter, should the President be held accountable? 
If a soldier shoots up a place I have no issues putting their immediate boss under review. President is too high up for that scenario. Don't see how parents work on your analogy. 

I had the impression this was about a lack of info coming from the department. Making terrible optics even worse.

This is a slippery slope to expect a Chief of Police to step down do to the actions of one police officer. Why not the officers Sergeant? Or the person that trained the officer during his time in the academy? Being an election year, the Mayor may be covering her own butt. 

From some of the comments in the below story, sounds like it was more than just this once incident.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chief-australian-woman-shot-cop-did-not-die-050309213.html

Cjw_55106 said:
The chief and mayor didn't care for each other and this was the mayor's opportunity IMO. 
Public (and then the Mayor) asked for Harteau to resign.  Now the public is asking for the Mayor's resignation, but she not complying.  Why not? Seems hypocritical. 

AnonymousBob said:
If a soldier shoots up a place I have no issues putting their immediate boss under review. President is too high up for that scenario. Don't see how parents work on your analogy. 
With both the parents and the President, I was pointing out the extremes of holding others accountable for another adult's actions. I should have been clearer and said parents of adult gang members. I expect a parent to be responsible for their kids up to 18/19 years old. 

KCitons said:

This has been on the doorsteps for awhile. The police Union has been unhappy with her way of "leadership" and her and the mayor have been publicly :argue: over many issues.

The Mayor is next though.. She has been worthless for all and will be voted out in the next election.

With both the parents and the President, I was pointing out the extremes of holding others accountable for another adult's actions. I should have been clearer and said parents of adult gang members. I expect a parent to be responsible for their kids up to 18/19 years old. 
yeah  tbh Ive never really considered how a Prez should be held to some standard..  We're supposed to all honor the position

But yeah the parents angle.  I can see that, and sorta made attempts at justifying it too..  Lets look at some real talk..  How much time vs. Society (you n me) do some parents really get to enjoy their kids..  Id specify especially at an early age, when cash may be tighter.. When ya consider sleep, work, and hobbys?  Were not talking a whole lot of time.  Studies show 35 mins now (was 5 mins in 1974)  I'm talking eye contact focus on the child.  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/15/fathers-spend-more-time-with-children-than-in-1970s

It sorta makes ya start to begin to think,, We should consider holding some grocer, trying to unload a bad product, more accountable for the youths misadventure.. 

Heres the mom side (fwiw) https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2015/04/20/study-proves-moms-spend-too-much-time-with-their-kids-liberates-working-moms-everywhere/#6a7bf8cd4edc  Look no further than our own Goodell to know, we all break things to try an fix other things.  Oh Johnny took a poke at your son   I'm sorry  I told him to kick his ###//

Would ya really take a mother out of a home raising a youth, because her eldest was gangbanging?   Heck even children need realistic limitations..  Ya don't wanna say,,  I will break you in half, if there aint a chance of it happening..  Okay Mom Guilty, when your kids are all grown, you will pay!  (its getting worse aint it)

Honestly (if we really cared) We should be supporting boys club, and stuff like that..  I know they sound kinda for twinks, but seriously whats punishment really do anyway..  School to learn from Professionals

yeah  tbh Ive never really considered how a Prez should be held to some standard..  We're supposed to all honor the position

But yeah the parents angle.  I can see that, and sorta made attempts at justifying it too..  Lets look at some real talk..  How much time vs. Society (you n me) do some parents really get to enjoy their kids..  Id specify especially at an early age, when cash may be tighter.. When ya consider sleep, work, and hobbys?  Were not talking a whole lot of time.  Studies show 35 mins now (was 5 mins in 1974)  I'm talking eye contact focus on the child.  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jun/15/fathers-spend-more-time-with-children-than-in-1970s

It sorta makes ya start to begin to think,, We should consider holding some grocer, trying to unload a bad product, more accountable for the youths misadventure.. 

Heres the mom side (fwiw) https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2015/04/20/study-proves-moms-spend-too-much-time-with-their-kids-liberates-working-moms-everywhere/#6a7bf8cd4edc  Look no further than our own Goodell to know, we all break things to try an fix other things.  Oh Johnny took a poke at your son   I'm sorry  I told him to kick his ###//

Would ya really take a mother out of a home raising a youth, because her eldest was gangbanging?   Heck even children need realistic limitations..  Ya don't wanna say,,  I will break you in half, if there aint a chance of it happening..  Okay Mom Guilty, when your kids are all grown, you will pay!  (its getting worse aint it)

Honestly (if we really cared) We should be supporting boys club, and stuff like that..  I know they sound kinda for twinks, but seriously whats punishment really do anyway..  School to learn from Professionals
Good points. Similarly, how much time did the Chief of Police spend with this officer that pulled the trigger? You reinforced my point of "the only person that should be held accountable for someone's actions, is the person doing the action". Unless the person is carrying out a direct order, they are acting on their own free will. 

This has been on the doorsteps for awhile. The police Union has been unhappy with her way of "leadership" and her and the mayor have been publicly :argue: over many issues.

The Mayor is next though.. She has been worthless for all and will be voted out in the next election.
Thanks Snogger. I was hoping someone from Minneapolis would chime in. 

Good points. Similarly, how much time did the Chief of Police spend with this officer that pulled the trigger? You reinforced my point of "the only person that should be held accountable for someone's actions, is the person doing the action". Unless the person is carrying out a direct order, they are acting on their own free will. 
Oh okay yeah   I actually agree   Think the Chief may be responsible for setting a tone..  But yeah, punishing anyone indirectly responsible is sorta childish in nature

I think Snog is a fake Minneapolite. He lives in WI :)

This is going to play out all that well I don't think. Takes a white woman being shot for changes to happen. 

I think Snog is a fake Minneapolite. He lives in WI :)

This is going to play out all that well I don't think. Takes a white woman being shot for changes to happen. 
:lol:

Yea, I live in Western Wisconsin, but was born and raised in the Twin Cities and the only local news channels I get are from the Twin Cities so I get to hear all the crap that goes on in that state.

Cjw_55106 said:
The chief and mayor didn't care for each other and this was the mayor's opportunity IMO. 
Didnt the mayor publicly praise this officer on her facebook page when he was hired? Trot out he whole somali/muslim angle to show how open of a city minneapolis is?

Users who are viewing this thread