What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there any religion that is correct? (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I can't say there isn't a God but I think I can say, fairly certain there is no correct religion.  

Do you agree or not?

I think philosophical religions may get pretty close. Taoism, Buddhism, the non-theistic ones that basically say "you can't wrap your head around what's going on."

If it works for them, I say go for it.  I'm good with any religion that doesn't try to push their views on others, collect new members, or collect money from me.  

I am a registered pastafarian.

If it works for them, I say go for it.  I'm good with any religion that doesn't try to push their views on others, collect new members, or collect money from me.  

I am a registered pastafarian.
agree with the "push" part, but if you truly believe in your religion you have to engage in dialogue about it with others.  The problem comes when people disrespect each other and don't accept the fact that others have alternative views.

Most denominations within Christianity have people who disagree with each other on the nitnoid ####. 

I'm a fact & science guy.  However, I don't have a problem with people opening up a shop to spew whatever fact or fiction they please.  I do have a problem with subsidizing them with tax dollars. 

Ftr, I grew up Protestant & attended a Catholic school.  I think there are a lot of positive involved with organized religion, but years of research into religions, history, and archaeology have made me realize it's all mostly a bunch of bs.  Not trying to knock them all, just what they are based on.  My bigger gripe is how they have been used as a vehicle for evil.  Whether for wars, to control people, for money scams, or pedophilia. 

I'm a fact & science guy.  However, I don't have a problem with people opening up a shop to spew whatever fact or fiction they please.  I do have a problem with subsidizing them with tax dollars. 

Ftr, I grew up Protestant & attended a Catholic school.  I think there are a lot of positive involved with organized religion, but years of research into religions, history, and archaeology have made me realize it's all mostly a bunch of bs.  Not trying to knock them all, just what they are based on.  My bigger gripe is how they have been used as a vehicle for evil.  Whether for wars, to control people, for money scams, or pedophilia. 
So pretty much forever. 

I read a Shakespeare sonnet, a canto from The Divine Comedy & one of the 81 chapters of the Tao before every workday - it gives me my flow. Everything your spirit needs to remain vital & humble is in the Tao Te Ching.

That said, except for the Savior thing (which i excuse as a contemporary necessity), Jesus Christ had it stone right. I'm a little embarrassed for the world that i take my 95% of my lessons in humanity from two 1st-Century prophets (Roman slave turned teacher Epictetus the other), but there you go. I read the Red Words all the time.

It seems like most religions say mostly the same things on the big topics. Most religions, Bill and Ted, and the FFA all basically ask people to be excellent to one another.

Christ's message of faith, hope and love got it right.   A religion which condemns and has no forgiveness is wrong.  it is not Christ's message which causes problems, it is the people's greed which does.  

agree with the "push" part, but if you truly believe in your religion you have to engage in dialogue about it with others.  The problem comes when people disrespect each other and don't accept the fact that others have alternative views.

Most denominations within Christianity have people who disagree with each other on the nitnoid ####. 
Why?

Not sure if I believe in God. Grew up old school Catholic, and as I got older started to question everything of course.

I would like to believe that there is a supreme being looking over all of us, but I can't believe that guy would allow his name to be used for so much hate, and anger, and pain.

The God I grew up with loved everyone, and if that is all I got from religion - then that's cool. 

But "religion" has spawned so much hate and pain that I am pretty convinced this God guy doesn't exist at all. And I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Until I figure it out, my plan is to love everyone and try to live a good life and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why?
Because if god is full of wrath and vengeance towards the reasonable, but gracious and forgiving of the gullible, then the gullible are scared of what's going to happen to the reasonable. 

Users who are viewing this thread