What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What percentage of college age kids smoke weed? (1 Viewer)

Bossman

Footballguy
Is it me or does it seem like the majority of youth smokes weed.

I'm wondering because I have one in college and one about to go in.

Both kids are brilliant and have yet to get into trouble.

Seems that it is less of a big deal than when I was that age. My state (MA) has gone so far as to legalize it and in 2018 will be giving licences to smoke shops to sell it ...

so it is going to be readily available very soon.  

Is it to be expected that this will happen? Am I supposed to be angry when it does? Where should my level of concern be?

Your kids will smoke pot if they're not already. If they're doing well in school who cares? If they're not doing well it's not the weed. 

I think you have to separate those that have tried it a few times and those that smoke regularly.  I think it's to be expected that they will try it.

My daughter starts college this fall.  I've all but encouraged her to try it, while telling her not to make it a part of her day-to-day life.  I don't think it's a big deal for her to try it.
Why would you encourage her?  Seems dumb. Do you feel the same about smoking and drinking?  If she try's is ok but to encourage a vice seems stupid. 

Because she's going to try it and I think it's worse to make it a big taboo.  She'll probably also tell me if she tries it, just like the few times she had a couple of drinks at a party.
Yes she is because you "practally encourage her". Do you even hear what you typed???  You've a strange idea of parenting. I tell my kids don't do it, it's stupid. Do you "practically encourage" them to drink and drive too?  I mean you don't want that to be taboo too do you?  See what I'm saying?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes she is because you "practally encourage her". Do you even hear what you typed???  You've a strange idea of parenting. I tell my kids don't do it, it's stupid. Do you "practically encourage" them to drink and drive too?  I mean you don't want that to be taboo too do you?  See what I'm saying?  
:lmao:

Because she's going to try it and I think it's worse to make it a big taboo.  She'll probably also tell me if she tries it, just like the few times she had a couple of drinks at a party.
Your daughter starts college this fall and she's had a couple drinks a few times? I hope she doesn't get overwhelmed. 

Just curious, do you tell them the same thing about alcohol.  I'd be lying if I told them either was stupid.  They're actually pretty fun.   

Why do you lie to your children?

You should be more concerned with her getting knocked up or catching an STD. 

do it occasionally - 75%

do it a few times a week or more - 20%
so 95% of college age kids smoke weed? Male and female? Seems this is the consensus in here.

Guess I was naive to the extent of its use. When I was that age, most of us drank (80%?) but only some smoked weed (25%?).

It was thought of as a step above alcohol on the "bad behavior" list. Now it's considered a step below?? 

... and not one person here has a problem with their child smoking pot?

Feel however you want about your kids' actions (I have a 6 month old so I have some time) but I think many people at this point realize how much more dangerous alcohol can be than MJ. 

If I had the choice of my daughter getting through college having only experienced one, sign me up for weed 100 times out of 100.

To more specifically answer your question, I'd have a problem with when/where she did it, not that she did it at all. I'd also have a bigger problem with her texting while driving or going 50 in a 35.

Ive never smoked anything in my entire life. I never drank one sip of alcohol in college. Maybe they will be like me and not like some others. 

so 95% of college age kids smoke weed? Male and female? Seems this is the consensus in here.

Guess I was naive to the extent of its use. When I was that age, most of us drank (80%?) but only some smoked weed (25%?).

It was thought of as a step above alcohol on the "bad behavior" list. Now it's considered a step below?? 

no, i'd say 75% at least occasionally.   The 20% who smoke regularity are included in the 75% occasional group as well.

Weed is safer and less addictive that alcohol.  If you don't have a problem with your adult child having a cocktail, why would there be an issue with pot?

I have never smoked anything in my life either.  However,  I know I am in the minority here.  Guessing 80%.
I'm in my mid-40's and just got high for the first time via edibles a couple weeks ago due to legalization in my state.

I have to admit, it was more fun than I thought it would be and could see doing it occasionally to relax.  But I couldn't imagine spending every day like that.  I don't drink alcohol very often either.

I will say that educating myself on the topic beforehand was important for me.  Just knowing about THC levels and dosages, time to feel impacts, etc. aided me in knowing what to expect and made it a fun ride.

I believe we'll eventually see national legalization, so if I had a kid going to college, I would be educating them on the topic rather than trying to hope they won't do it.

I'm in my mid-40's and just got high for the first time via edibles a couple weeks ago due to legalization in my state.

I have to admit, it was more fun than I thought it would be and could see doing it occasionally to relax.  But I couldn't imagine spending every day like that.  I don't drink alcohol very often either.

I will say that educating myself on the topic beforehand was important for me.  Just knowing about THC levels and dosages, time to feel impacts, etc. aided me in knowing what to expect and made it a fun ride.

I believe we'll eventually see national legalization, so if I had a kid going to college, I would be educating them on the topic rather than trying to hope they won't do it.
Yeah, two kids, 1st (daughter) starts college in 5 years.  Not sure I will be trying it anytime soon but my wife and I will be talking a lot with our kids.

Younger son starts college next week. Older son finishes up this year. I don't think either of them have smoked weed. But honestly, that doesn't concern me.

What concerns me is if they get caught up in meth, heroin, or a bunch of other more sinister drugs.

the rover said:
Weed is safer and less addictive that alcohol.  If you don't have a problem with your adult child having a cocktail, why would there be an issue with pot?
I hear this all the time. Is this actually true? Seems unrealistic to compare the two substances. My wife and i each had a beer and a half last night. We split three different new ones. Pretty much zero effect to me. What is the marijuana equivalent?

I hear this all the time. Is this actually true? Seems unrealistic to compare the two substances. My wife and i each had a beer and a half last night. We split three different new ones. Pretty much zero effect to me. What is the marijuana equivalent?
passing a bowl back and forth before bed.

Trying a new strain you got a gram bag from the dispensary.

Golden Goat has a real earthy taste, almost like goat urine...its glorious....like a new IPA....and not a depressant.

I would guess that the vast majority at least try it, but only a small percentage are massive pot heads. I don't think there was any correlation between success and casual pot smoking, and essentially everyone I work with has advanced degrees in a STEM field and people have no problem talking about previous or current pot use at lunch.

Golden Goat has a real earthy taste, almost like goat urine...its glorious....like a new IPA....and not a depressant.
Just what I've always wanted to taste.  Goat urine. Sign me up. 

And you dont get high when doing this? Just do it for the taste?

Is it me or does it seem like the majority of youth smokes weed.

I'm wondering because I have one in college and one about to go in.

Both kids are brilliant and have yet to get into trouble.

Seems that it is less of a big deal than when I was that age. My state (MA) has gone so far as to legalize it and in 2018 will be giving licences to smoke shops to sell it ...

so it is going to be readily available very soon.  

Is it to be expected that this will happen? Am I supposed to be angry when it does? Where should my level of concern be?
I wouldn't encourage it but I also wouldn't care too much 

I kind of equate it to sex. I'm not gonna encourage them to have tons of sex. Just make sure they're careful. 

Maybe one hit.  Typically, you smoke to get high.   The equivalent to having a beer or two is very atypical.   If we're talking about college kids, Ive never seen one just have a beer or two.  

I have 3 kids in college and they've all smoked weed. Two do it occasionally. One does it all the time. I don't have a big problem with it, except for the one that smokes daily. She has issues.

A couple of gummy bears

Users who are viewing this thread