What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Big is Your Deck? (1 Viewer)

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy
We tore down our above ground pool and are in the process of removing the deck that surrounded it.  Starting the process of design etc of our deck which we want to include a fire pit, hot tub, grilling area etc. Any tips, size suggestions, design ideas etc would be appreciated. 

I wouldn't recommend any of this, especially a hot tub unless you are in your twenties and single.

it's all going to delay your retirement and not get used as much as you think.

now if you are single and in your low to mid twenties a hot tub is an amazing investment in bikini clad women

I wouldn't recommend any of this, especially a hot tub unless you are in your twenties and single.

it's all going to delay your retirement and not get used as much as you think.

now if you are single and in your low to mid twenties a hot tub is an amazing investment in bikini clad women
We have a few properties that will be taking care of our retirement so not worried about 15-30k. We need the hot tub since we became swingers after hanging with Hulk. 

We tore down our above ground pool and are in the process of removing the deck that surrounded it.  Starting the process of design etc of our deck which we want to include a fire pit, hot tub, grilling area etc. Any tips, size suggestions, design ideas etc would be appreciated. 
built mine 2 years ago. 2nd story deck, 15 x 13.5  fire away with questions. First tip, don't do Chevron design decking. probably doubled the time of the project and is a bit of a pain

built mine 2 years ago. 2nd story deck, 15 x 13.5  fire away with questions. First tip, don't do Chevron design decking. probably doubled the time of the project and is a bit of a pain
This isn't the house we are going to retire in so we are not going with trex. Thoughts on redwood/pine/treated etc. 

Any regrets other than the chevron?

surprised at first that this got through the language filter in the newly moderated FFA

For your hut tub - salt water or regular with chemicals?

I am getting one this fall and really thinking about salt water...........

This isn't the house we are going to retire in so we are not going with trex. Thoughts on redwood/pine/treated etc. 

Any regrets other than the chevron?
hmm, no regrets i can think of. I know i was focusing a ton on the size and wanting to keep make it bigger. But i live in the city, and the size i have is plenty sufficient. I think there is something to the idea that you can build a deck too big, so bigger isn't always better is what i guess i learned that i wasn't thinking before i built it. 

i thought about using pine, but went pressure treated. Pine is good and looks nice, and i am not as familiar with using redwood. If i remember Pine was reasonable cost too. 

there is a couple of other things i did that i am glad i did as compared to what a lot of contractors do. I did my "sister boards" (boards to help the rocking motion of a deck, and effects of wind). it is about 20 feet off the ground, so i can explain more if your deck will be like that. another thing i did that all the decks around me didn't do is i used carriage bolts and bolted every 16" to the house. A lot of contractors will do lag screws and stuff because tightening the nut on the other side can be a pain, but from some engineers i spoke with and L&I it is without a doubt something to do to tie the deck in better. 

I think mine is about 16x20.  I used composite and ended up with a separate grill area next to the deck to reduce the chance of spatter from the grill ruining the deck (I didn't like the idea of using a protective mat). As it turned out the grill location also made it easier to plumb a natural gas line for the grill. 

How high off of the ground will the deck be?

i have a deck about 30x20 with steps that lead to a patio. I would look into a stone/paver/concrete patio, if you can. 

don't sink the hot tub into the deck, unless you make it easy to get to the motors.

Disagree with Dentist - a hot tub is nice at any age. My wife and I love ours. Keep it as close to the house as possible. The further away it is, the less you will use it over time.  

Mine is about 40 ft long (length of the house) and about 25 or so feet off of it. Multi level and at most 2.5 feet off the ground.

I hate it. Seemed like a great idea at the time (about 11 years ago, no kids) but now IMO its just too big and takes up too much yard. Esp now that we want to put in a pool next year, fitting it in is an issue with the deck, so we are demolishing 2/3's of it and will patio the area.

Plus, it is a synthetic decking that 11 years ago was apparently the 'top of the line' (Weatherbest) but turned out to be (poop)—stains, warps, scratches real bad and cracks. I hate it.

Don't get me wrong, its beautiful, but it has out lived its function.

16x32..enough for a large table, sizeable seating area and gas grill 

Built it myself 18 years ago.  Pressure treated underneath with mahogany decking and cedar rails.  This year I will do my first repairs: Replacing single 1x4 mahogany deck board, one cedar rail and 2 cedar balusters. Other than that it's been staining the deck every other year and painting the rails white every 5 years (with some very minor touch ups on the top rail in beteween).  Love the size, love the look, happy with the maintenance as it is what I expected.  Chose hardwood as I really dislike the trex stuff as it stains, looks fake, flexes too much (Def needs to be 12" oc) and warps. 

Hardwood decking is a SOB to work with as I needed to pre-drill every hole and use ss ring nails ( that would bend if not driven perfectly straight), but was absolutely worth it to me in the end.  I still get complements on it today as it looks good as new.  Meanwhile my brother built his of PT pine at the same time and has rightly hated his ever since he built it.  It looks like crap, splinters like crazy, doesn't take stain well.  

My advice, spend a bit more and use a Brazilian hardwood.  Plan to do some annual maintenance.  Enjoy having the best deck in the neighborhood.

Good luck.

How often will your deck get wet? If your deck gets wet a lot, I'd go with more expensive materials. My deck got wet way too many times several years ago and it almost rotted.

How often will your deck get wet? If your deck gets wet a lot, I'd go with more expensive materials. My deck got wet way too many times several years ago and it almost rotted.
Did you use protection?

There are a wide variety of silicone deck sealers available now...and most do not affect the feel or experience.

I never let me deck go unprotected these days.

Did you use protection?

There are a wide variety of silicone  deck sealers available now...and most do not affect the feel or experience.

I never let me deck go unprotected these days.
Good advice here. You want to go with a silicone or water based sealer, never anything oil-based. Those can break down the protection within a matter of minutes, especially if there's any friction involved. 

No deck but our back porch is half screened, half open and about 8' deep, 20' wide. It's easier to maintain than a wood deck and serves the same purpose. I'd like to add a hot tub in the next couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread